The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What perks are killers 'allowed' to use?

Krazzik
Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

I don't mean for this to be an us-vs-them post, I just notice that gen slowdown got a LOT of hate and pushback until most of them were nerfed. Many killers moved from multiple slowdown perks to multiple aura-reading perks, and now aura-reading seems to be going through the same thing, there's a bigger uproar and a bigger push to try and get BHVR to nerf these perks.

I ask what perks can killers use that won't be branded as 'crutch perks', 'making the game easy' or just generally accused of getting killers to a higher MMR than they 'deserve' to be. Chase perks I guess, but STBFL got heavily nerfed after complaints, and Coup sees the occasional nerf request.

Comments

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,495
    edited July 20

Killers it's just much better to ignore complaints about your perks. Survivors mainly I see complaints about meta. I don't see complaints for this is not happening or scavenger or any real meme perk (as far as i remember off hand) . But I've seen on the killers end complaints about insidious next to a gen. Or territorial because "muh weaving spiders". Killers perks just seem to have a lot more Weight on them that all of them can have complaints even if their niche. To much aura. To much stealth. To much negative effects. To much tracking. To much chase. It also comes from the nature of 4 survivors vs 1 killer. You'll get a survivor who rages more frequently.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409

If you're asking for a "normal" non-sweaty but still trying to win build, I usually run surge, pain res, enduring on demo and swap in whatever I feel like as a 4th perk. Lately it's been Rancor.

I don't think survivors find gen defense boring by itself. It's when the killer has 3-4 gen defense perks stacked that it becomes tedious.

I also try not to camp/tunnel someone out early unless it's their own fault (body blocking to force endurance or doing a gen in my face), and occasionally I'll slug someone instead of killing if they've been extra unlucky and keep running into me.

I rarely have survivors quit or be upset after matches.

• Rumplestiltskin
    Rumplestiltskin Member Posts: 138

You are allowed to use anything you want. My suggestion is to ignore anyone who rudely decides to tell you what you should and should not be playing. If the DEV put it in as an option, it is fair game. If there is a problem with it they will eventually adjust it or remove it. As others have already stated, it doesn't matter what you run. I've run PERKLESS and been accused of being carried "somehow" so it has nothing to do with the state of the game and everything to do with the lack of manners on the part of the people pushing back against you.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,128
    edited July 20

Any perk that helps the opposition, usually sort of filling a skill gap or making up for a gameplay flaw, is going to be disliked by the opposing side because it makes it harder for them to exploit a weakness. If it's not a perk, it's an item or add-on (or, in the case of killers, a power). Anything that your opponent thinks helped you win will be called a 'crutch,' because they prefer to think they are more skilled and thus would've won themselves had that perk/item/whatever not helped you.

That's human nature in competitive play. (And all a generalization, of course. Not everyone is like this, but you will come across this type of mindset a lot.)

Complaints about perks that put you in a no-win situation, like the way Decisive Strike could so often do throughout its history, are more valid, but you can't really blame the person for running something that gives them an advantage; it's on the game devs to avoid such things and fix them when they do occur.

• Rauy556
    Rauy556 Member Posts: 41

Don't let people tell you what perks to run. In truth, every single perk is a crutch as it provides a glaring advantage when compared to not having the perk. This game is balanced around 'crutches' and its often said upon that killer perks are crutches for not being able to 'pressure' when in reality all of survivor perks are given for free at the start of the match while killer slowdowns reward a killer for having good chases. However, there are absolutely 'crutch' perks for Killers such as NOED.

In short, you'll always get hate no matter what you use. The DBD community is so whiny and entitled despite this game being a party game with as much mechanical skill as fall guys.

• KolbyKolbyKolby
    KolbyKolbyKolby Member Posts: 623

Every single perk is going to be disliked by someone. You will not be able to please your opponents nor should you really try.

If it makes you feel bad to use perks people don't like, then I would suggest that you use perks that you don't mind playing against. That's what I do, some survivors may not like my perks but I'd never be unhappy going against any builds on any of my killers.

• MikeyMyers666
    MikeyMyers666 Member Posts: 38

Use the perks that survivors complain the most about. I wouldn't have even considered certain perks and combinations but for all the complaints on here.

• Assassin97
    Assassin97 Member Posts: 35

Equip whatever you want, you aren't responsible for the fun others have, do what makes you have fun and enjoy the game, don't listen to those who complain about certain builds or perks, It is part of the game and that's that, No matter what you do in this game there is always going to be someone who has a problem with it and that isn't on you.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,122

Anything can become a complaint worthy perk in the right scenario

Someone trying to do 360s and getting hit early because the Killer brought unrelenting for some reason could complain that "Killers are being rewarded for missing M1s" with Unrelenting.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

That's your typical "moving the goalpost" behavior.

Like, when we (rightly so) got DH and MFT nerfed I made a vow not to complain about any other exhaustion perk, and I stayed strong, even though some of those saw a clear uptick in use, that's whats expected when something good gets nerfed.

You got the occasional rage post about someone losing against 4 SB or Lithing away to safety, but for the most part the survivor situation is pretty much under control.

Now, killer got a lot of their gen perks nerfed, and many STILL used that perks, because there wasn't much else to slot in. Weave Attunement showed many how good aura reading could be, and now many of us love to use aura readings builds, and that's what's getting complained about, now.

But here is the thing: while gen regression perk can be very hard to work against, aura reading perks on themselves don't do anything, they help you to initiate the hunt, bit you still need to complete the hunt on your own volition.

It's the same why getting hit by DH felt so awful, when it invalidated a 70s hunt 4 frames before it ended, while SB has its power front loaded and you get to decide in the first 10s if you want to continue chasing hat survivor.

4 Aura reading perks is indefinitely more healthy for the game then 4 gen regression perks,so please, just bear with it and adapt. Don't worry, we will find something new to complain about soon enough, anyway.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 627
    edited July 22

Everything that helps you at all will be hated, same with any killer that's usable, any playstyle that works AND everything you do in chase that's not running in a wide straight line around loops xD

The conclusion is: Just ignore everything and do what you want, it's funny to see people complain especially if they weere overconfident and then lost brutally xD

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

"Grrr, you whiffed 3 times against my 360s, so you are clearly bad and didn't deserve that 4k."

or

"OMG. You had no indication that I was hiding there and would never have found me without your cruch bird perk. Who uses spies with Clown anyway?"

or

"Batteries Included is so dumb, not even (gen) dead zones are safe to loop. Survivors got nothing"

are all discussions that happened in my post game chats, od course verbatim and slightly defanged to not get me banned here. So even clearly off-meta perks can and will tick off someone out there.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Zanshin Tactics

• Triplehoo
    Triplehoo Member Posts: 627

Use anything you want. Unless a certain perk has a known bug which you can exploit. Then don't

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,495

got complaints about that on doctor "wow you dont even try to mindgame. You just always know when to shock because of your perk"

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,263

The rule of thumb is this: If the build you bring makes it possible to 4k with barely any effort, idk, say you're eating dinner while in chase and it's no issue, then people will generally not look favourably on you.

Knockout is just obnoxious in any case.

And that's about it.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,578

I had comments for a full-aura build (as in : no regression at all) so …