The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why isn’t DBD Free-To-Play?

MudSpit83
MudSpit83 Member Posts: 116

This game costs $20 but has a $10 battlepass, $10 skins, and has over 34 DLCs that you need to pay for if you want to have all perks, killers, and survivors unlocked. I think its time for BHVR to make the game free-to-play at this point cause having to pay over $200 just to have access to all characters is a bit ridiculous. Anyone else agree with me or am I wrong about this?

Comments

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,847

I hadn't thought about the hackers but that is a good argument. Also, 20 dollars isn't much of a barrier. I'm sure there are sales offered regularly too. So I doubt money is a barrier keeping people from playing DBD.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 627

Because we don't need more cheaters than we already have, they at least should waste their money for making me dc even if I literally never do it (that makes me more mad than the fact they ruined the game xD)

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 651

Like everyone else already said, cheaters are unfortunately the reason this will never happen, but I do think this issue could be alleviated if some of the earlier DLC's were added to the base game. Especially characters like Doctor and Hag, since I believe they're part of the Switch Edition.

The Gold version of the game is impractical since asking for 40$ upfront before knowing if DBD is for you is a bit much.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,231

I don't think hackers is a good enough reason. IP bans exist and this is how Fortnite handles cheaters.This is what should happen to repeat offenders. You can also ban VPNs to make it more difficult for them to come back. If you could control cheaters it would be better if the game were free to play at this point.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,609

You can earn all original characters for free and technically (though i will admit, not practically and conveniently) get all licensed perks for free too. They also have events where you can earn full outfits for free too. For me that justifies the game remaining paid and it's fairly cheap and goes on sale frequently. If it was F2P they'd probably reduce event rewards, iridescent shards and do more monetisation and i would rather they not.

• PreorderBonus
    PreorderBonus Member Posts: 246

Cheaters aren't the reason, they buy accounts in bulk for less than 80% of the base price anyway.

The real reason is that there's no competition so you either buy the game or don't play it, it's that simple. BHVR can get away with this model because other asymm games are extremely bad in comparison.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152
    edited August 6

Because people are willing to spend $20 on base game and then spend additional money on DLCs, rifts, and cosmetics. As long as people continue to spend money on the game they're not going to make it free.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,876

I don't think the game shouldn't be free for the reasons stated. Keeps hackers out. But the cosmetics and such should be cheaper. Much cheaper.

BHVR is a pay to play game that prices all everything else in its ecosystem as if it were F2P.

• Khastrx
    Khastrx Member Posts: 125

BHVR isn't a multi- billion dollar company with massive resources that they can throw to prevent cheating. Having a paywall is one way to mitigate this without being swamped in a losing battle, cause cheaters will always adapt, fact.

Also the game is often cheap, it's literally on sale almost every season. Granted in-game progression for unlocking stuff could be more generous, but in comparison to let's say Texas Chainsaw, it actually ain't that pricey.

• joel84
    joel84 Member Posts: 229

Free to play = automatic more cheaters

• pigslittlepet
    pigslittlepet Member Posts: 483

Bhvr is a business and is trying to make money. Going ftp would take away from that so I don't think it's a good idea.

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 369

FTP on epic is why I started playing in the first place , eventually I did contribute by buying Elm Street and Nemesis content. But on the other hand hackers flooded in sadly :/

• DPYROAXIS
    DPYROAXIS Member Posts: 15

I have it for free (xbox gamepass) and due to this it also gives purchase discounts.