We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Etiquette and Assumptions

Cadpig
Cadpig Member Posts: 47

I've been seeing a lot of posts recently, especially after 2v8, about how Killers or Survivors are bullying the others. Now, I want to make a quick disclaimer that I don't mean to disregard people's feelings. If something bothered you, it bothered you.

It just seems to me that many of these feelings are happening as a result of assuming that etiquette established by some parts of the community are known by every player, including new players, and that actions assumed to be offensive may not actually be at all.

For now I'll just cover a couple I've seen brought up recently:

1) Spam Crouching
There seems to be an assumption that any time a Survivor crouches more than once in a row that it's meant as a taunt. I'm sure many do, but I'm just as sure that many don't.

I've seen Survivors crouch a lot in a ton of circumstances, most of which don't even have the Killer involved. The thing is, the only official gestures the Survivors have is a point and a beckon. They don't even have a "stay away" (which I've wanted many times to warn teammates). Survivors spam crouch to communicate a lot of different things due to a lack of other options. Other common reasons to spam crouch include trying to get another survivor's attention to ask for someone to get off a generator so they can heal them, or to ask for a spot on the generator because of a Tome Challenge they have.

I have good reason to believe that at least some times that a Survivor crouches to a Killer is not to Taunt them, but even just to say hi or otherwise acknowledge them. Sometimes they even seem to use it to request that I kill them (when they don't flee and have no friends that sabotage, they certainly aren't trying to show off).

2) Survivors Waiting to Leave
Obviously the main concern here is Survivors spam crouching at the Killer before leaving a match, but recently I've seen more and more posts that imply waiting for the Killer at all before leaving a match is an act of bullying.

I can understand in theory how this can feel, but I can also confirm that it's not by any means inherently intended. When I'm a Survivor, I usually stay inside as long as possible just in case my team needs me, and I only leave if the Killer shows up because I know my chance of helping the team has just expired, not because I was taunting the Killer. On the other end, when I'm a Killer, I myself actually prefer being able to see the Survivors one last time just to feel like I saw the end of the match. Having everyone escape when I'm between doors in my patrol feels a little anticlimactic to me.

Again, I don't mean to dismiss anyone's feelings, I just think it's best to assume ignorance of community etiquette before assuming malice. If someone's insulting you directly in chat, that's one thing. Any gesture in game, though, is really too vague to know what they really mean by it. Believe me, I myself have played against really frustrating Survivor teams that forgo objectives to flashlight you, loop you, sabotage hooks when you finally down one of them, and generally stay one step ahead as a team. It's not fun. Sometimes, though, I think our issue is with our preconceived notions rather than the intent of other players.

Comments

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

Anything in game is fair play, people can leave their feelings in the real world where real problems are happening, everyone is just here for fun and if for some reason you or me or anyone else isn't having fun or feels bullied it's totally up to those people to remove themselves from things or situations that cause them a mental strain

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

Easier said than done. Some people play this game to have fun and unwind after a hard day at work. Using a goofy build to have fun only to destroyed by a sweat squad that wait out the full EGC spamming loud noise notis. Its never bothered me personally, but I understand why it bothers others. I have been playing games for 20 years, so you just get used to it. But not everyone is like that.

• The_Krapper

And to me that's a problem with people these days, people forgot how to lose without Raging or they just don't see humor in the situation , is it really healthy for those people to play a game like this with such a fragile mental state that they can't handle a bunch of pixels bopping up and down on a screen?

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,749

i'll only say one thing about crouching, vecna gave survivors severe crouch, should i call brainrot? i saw people try to crouch-dodge m1s so i'd not take all crouches offensively.

and about waiting at the gate, i'll most of the time wait and go down at the gate if other survivors are still in, it tells where the killer is. super valuable information.

yet again, people should play both sides so they will have better understanding of everything in any area of the gameplay.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

Well when you have a bad day at work or in life that can cause you to not tolerate things you would normally.

And it's really not that hard to just leave the game and not tbag or not hit someone on hook. I have played thousands of survivor matches and I have t bagged at gate a grand total of 2 times. Back when I was brand new and the killer was tunneling. It does nothing but annoy people so why do it at all?

• The_Krapper

People consider anything that outplay them annoying though so that's hardly a good reason especially when it's yourself allowing the feeling, there's nothing malicious about t bagging and it's only annoying to people who just continue to chase that person and that's exactly what those people want is for you to throw the whole match to chase them while the gens pop because someone decided to get in their feelings over a game, to me it's a legitimate strategy that provides good laughs along the way when someone is just so set on catching you in a rage they start making a thousand mistakes instead of spreading pressure and actually getting the W against those people, also there's nothing stopping you from doing it back to those people that dish out

• Gylfie
    Gylfie Member Posts: 644

What a well-written post! I enjoyed reading it and I agree with everything you said. :)

• Linkdouken
    Linkdouken Member Posts: 114

I wait at a gate for a killer when I don't have max boldness points for a teeny bit more if I can get them to chase me out