The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

1v4 killer stress vs 2v8 killer stress

LordGlint
LordGlint Member Posts: 8,278

Just a thought I had that I was hoping for your thoughts on. It has nothing to do with balance or anything but... Do you feel like it's just a less stressful experience on 2v8 for killers? Like if you lose in 2v8, it just feels easier to shrug it off than a lose in 1v4 IMO. Does anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• LordGlint

The question was refering to the FEELING of each after a loss.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,045

Sorry, I cannot relate to that. :( And I wont be playing anymore 2v8.

• Choaron
    Choaron Member Posts: 317

DBD is not a stressful game. If you stress out over a video game in general then this is a you issue, I'm afraid.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,090

How are you stressing in 2v8? i've found it rather refreshing to not have to worry about certain perks from both sides and not to mention the fun factor of playing killer with a friend. 1v4 is only really stressful if you let it be. No matter what anyone says, you don't have to win all your games, and honestly you will lose some no matter what. So just don't worry if you win or lose play the game for fun and enjoyment not to stress yourself out.

• LordGlint

I feel like you didn't read...anything. I specifically stated I find it less stressful. That was the entire point of the post.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,090

My points still stand. You shouldn't let either mode get to you.

• LordGlint

I typically try not to, but if I'm facing loss after loss... I'll typically swap to another game for abit. 2v8 though... I'm not really going "what could I have done better" after a loss. It's just chaotic fun win or lose. Not sure if it's the lack of surprise perks, having a teammate take the burden or both.

• GRIG0
    GRIG0 Member Posts: 308

I think is less stressful in the sense that you're not alone so even if you do poorly, your teammate can still help and the fact that there are no perks / items (in lobby) makes you feel more relieved not having to think about x builds.

However, the never ending pallets + having to take care of so many survivors made me somehow more stressed lmao. But yeah overall i think is a good mode for beginner killers or ppl that don't want to try killer out of "fear". That's why i'd like to see this mode return from time to time.

• arcaneGospel
    arcaneGospel Member Posts: 235

I think having a friend with you crushing heads makes things intrinsically more enjoyable, but it also definitely helps that there are no perks—survivors always run the same few perks that are really in-your-face, whereas all the stuff in 2v8 is less obnoxious, I find.

On the other hand, survivor is miserable—mostly owing to the killers available. Huntress was already one of the least interactive killers to engage with before Wraith(another top contender) was on you too.

• LordGlint

The weird thing I find about ppl being stressed about the killer's teaming up is... 2v8 has been widely asked for for years. Did no one honestly think of that part?This shouldn't be a surprise that the 2v8 that's been on the wishlist does infact include 2 killers on the same map.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811

It was mostly killer mains who wanted to duo or team up with other killers. Not survivors.

On topic: I find 2v8 as killer less stressful than 1v4. It’s probably a combination of things: the teammate, more gens, I don’t have to walk to hooks so there’s less downtime between chases, it’s easier to snowball by tunneling and proxy camping survivors, slugging feels more rewarding.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,989

Q time was pretty bad so i didn't play much killer. i think the 2 v 8 less stressful even when u lose. play about 8 killer matches in the 2v8 and loss once so i don't have much to go on. Normal 1v4 definitely feel way more stressful when playing the weaker killers.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 2,088

I like 2v8 more because its not all on me. I have a partnership. 1v4 I have nobody and no one to talk to. Its not as fun.

• Bookern
    Bookern Member Posts: 159

watching 3 gens pop in the first 30 seconds i can feel that stress playing as or against

• arcaneGospel
    arcaneGospel Member Posts: 235

The problem is that it's all the most abysmal killers to engage with, not that I inherently oppose having two killers at once. My issue is that I'm being forced to deal with Huntress and Wraith, who are both utterly mind numbing to go up against, which is worse when it's both.

• pa4n
    pa4n Member Posts: 50

Imo 2vs8 is less stressful then 1vs4 but i still somehow prefer the 1vs4 mode because i can play every killer i want. Usually i switch killers after every game so in 2vs8 that's done real quick esp. when i don't want to play e.g billy. I still think 2vs8 should return a few times a year because it is really fun. I'm also looking forward for more killers/other killers.

I like the mode as survivor but pls without Trapper next time if possible^^

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,263
    edited August 13

I don't take either mode particularly serious so it's not hard to shrug off "losing" in 1v4 for me either. - But I would say that the overall expectations in 1v4 vs 1v8 are different. As a result losing in 1v8 feels like it isn't even supposed to be a big deal. While in 1v4 it feels like it is supposed to be a big deal - even though it isn't for me personally. The direction of 1v4 has just been so optimisation and sweat oriented for a good while. - For 1v8, on the other hand, the theme is still mostly "chaos".

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 627

Maybe it is because I played together with someone I like, but I don't really care if I lose in 2vs8. Feels a lot less punishing because I know it was actually on me and not on perks or items or other things I can't control normally.

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 516
    edited August 13

I agree there are a lot of factors mentioned by others above and for me, ultimately this is an event mode - so just by not being the main mode, that distinction makes it less feel less stakes than 1 v 4.

i don’t play killer so I can’t comment on the specific stress factors but I think it probably applies for both sides - this game mode and the number of people involved can make some enjoy the chaos. The fact that you’re limited by who you can play and the perks you can choose means it’s nof enabling us to play the way we ideally would - therefore a loss is probably not gonna leave us feeling like our ideal loadout and strategy didn’t work.

If this became an established main mode, I have no doubt stress would increase tenfold.

• VantablackPharaoh91
    VantablackPharaoh91 Member Posts: 584
    edited August 13

It's more chaotic and hard to handle over lots of sessions for me, but it's also less stressful overall because I have a friend to help me with trouble Survs. So yes and no.

It HAS made me appreciate the slowness and intimacy of 1v4 mode in comparison. I will never complain about gens speeding by again after seeing how nonsensically fast they were in 2v8.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,844

I am never stressed while playing this game. Sometimes I get frustrated but that usually happens when I'm playing survivor and rarely while playing killer.

However, I personally found 2v8 killer more frustrating than 1v4 killer. When I play killer in 1v4 I am solely responsible for how my match goes. However, in 2v8 I might have a complete dead weight as a teammate and that frustrates me as I have no control over it.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 795

"I played one match and now I shall retire as the undefeated World Champion"

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,847

I think 2v8 is less stressful for both roles. I just view it as a silly mode so I genuinely don't care about the outcome other than "was it fun?". I generally don't get too stressed about 1v4 either but there are times I get genuinely irritated. Mostly as a survivor which is why I only play survivor when I feel it is necessary for tome goals.

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Member Posts: 256

2v8 seems fairer and less stressful to me for both sides because BHVR has complete control over the balance. We don't have dual Blights running silly perks for example, which this mode is in danger of becoming if BHVR get sloppy.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,816

I agree. I greatly prefer 2v8 to 1v4, especially for killer. I honestly think that having cages instead of hooks is a really big part of it. The most annoying interactions that happen in the game revolve around hooking and unhooking, so removing that feels really good from my POV. Also, killers have a lot of time management stress, so having a partner who can multi-task with you is a huge relief.

I also saw a video where a content creator was saying that skill differences have less of an impact in 2v8 because there are so many people and you don't have to get drawn into a 1v1, which I agree with.