We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Knowing where the hatch will spawn without an offering.

A Killer main that I follow can almost always predict where the hatch will spawn based on where the 3rd Survivor is sacrificed and the location of the final Survivor (assuming they know where they are on the map).

They have explained really fast how they are able to know, but I don't understand the puzzle.

Is the ability to know where the hatch will spawn intended?

Can someone explain to me how to know where it will spawn without an offering?

Comments

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477
    edited August 20

In my understandings, hatch location will be determined at the start of matches

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,129

It used to still have collision which allowed people to find the hatch before it had technically been revealed by walking over an invisible bump.

This was only a Bug tho. But yes, Hatch spawns at the beginning of the Trial, so there is no way to use the location of any Survivors when they die to locate it.

• Linkdouken
    Linkdouken Member Posts: 114

I completely forgot about this! I'm glad they removed the collision

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,244

Yes, you're right, I forgot about it being determined before the trial begins.

I'm hooked on this Killers YouTube videos and he literally almost always guesses correctly based on a "formula" for lack of a better word.

If you skip to the 10:00 minute mark you will see how confident he is.

So his formula is literally just a lucky guess?

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,129

Yes, it is a lucky guess.

And to be fair, going to Shack first to look for Hatch is quite common IMO.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,268

There are common spawn locations so a lucky guess is definitely plausible.

Shack and Main Building are good to check first, even without offerings it's likely to be in one of these locations. Then outside of that you have on the top of hills or in the middle of jungle gym tiles, if the map has them. Then check the open spaces.

Certain maps have their own unique spawn locations, such as Swamp in which the hatch can also spawn at any point on the very edge of the map, particularly in corners. Likewise Gideon likes to put hatches in the corners too.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,268
    edited August 20

@SoGo

That would make them far too powerful, they would have to be pink offerings at least, if not deemed too OP to begin with.

One side knowing exactly where the hatch is while the other side knows nothing and has to search the entire map, would be a guaranteed escape/kill depending on who plays it.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,036

I tend to have a pretty high chance to find it, but either I'm lucky or nutty with recognizing patterns in RNG (People hate me in Secret Lab because I always manage to guess the layout just from 2 rooms). That said, its still possible for me to be very wrong, in which case I usually have no idea.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,353

Killers would then start suspecting these “secret” offerings to be hatch offerings and start slugging for the 4k even more than they do now.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,918

I’ve always believed all offerings should be hidden and revealed only during the postgame screen. There’s really no reason for anyone to know beforehand what’s been played. It’s not like anything can be done about an offering when it has been played and revealing them before the trial just encourages unsportsmanlike conduct.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,496
    edited August 20

How are all offerings being hidden sportsmanlike in the slightest

I mean look at the definition : fair, respectful, and polite toward other players when participating in a sport

How is hiding an advantage any of those things, that's just a straight buff under the guise of "fair"

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715

You can make an educated guess but that's pretty much it. I saw a video of someone who claimed that hook rng is in some way connected to the hatch rng but I'm not sure how accurate that is. As others have already pointed out, the hatch spawn is decided at the beginning of the match (or at least it used to be like that and they haven't announced any changes to this in particular), so it's pretty much guaranteed that this person just guessed lucky.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 790

There is no logic behind it, but there are general places where it likes to spawn on every map. In general it's always a high chance on shack and mainbuilding other than that you have to learn them and even then it's rng.

• KatsuhxP

That wouldn't be fair in any way. It's fair how it is because rng gets taken away but as a tradeoff both sides know the location of the hatch. It only counts who reaches the hatch first then. (we won't discuss slugging so that the hatch can't spawn for now. If you're thinking about it then think about the fact the 3rd survivor can kill themself on hook to spawn it instantly first. So even that is more of less fair.)

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,973

y’all noobs don’t remember the old preschool days where the hatch would basically spawn in the school basement 100% of the time

• KatsuhxP

Thank you for insulting me lol, I didn't play at that time so of course I can't. It's also questionable if that should make me feel sad, I'd say no xD

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,244

Lol. I'll never forget, a long time ago, I was the last Survivor remaining on Badham and The Wraith was with me upstairs and away from the preschool but they knew exactly where to carry me to for the Hatch. I always wondered how he knew it was there 🤔

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,801

Years back before they shrunk down the Swamps I remember carrying a surv looking for hatch and it taking eons to find. Often it was along one of those edges.

• Ayodam
    edited August 21

1.) I couldn’t care less if killers don’t know where the hatch is or that the last survivor gets it because they played an offering. Hatch escapes are considered null. Most killers slug for the 4K anyway which nullifies the offering.

2.) The survivor who played the hatch offering could die before it spawns. And if they were the only one to play a hatch offering then there is no guarantee another survivor, who didn’t play that offering, reaches the hatch before the killer.

3.) Why not discuss slugging? That’s a crucial part of the killer experience. It’s extremely common now that killers slug to deny the hatch spawn for the final survivor remaining. I don’t understand why you began your comment talking about fairness but then wanted to avoid discussing the topic of fairness.

• Ayodam
    edited August 21

Killers specifically play nasty when survivors bring group bloodpoint offerings (anniversary offerings, streamers, etc). That’s unsportsmanlike.

Personal BP offerings are kind of irrelevant so there’s no harm in concealing them. Nobody plays hook offerings and IIRC unless it’s changed survivors need to play four of them to remove one hook from the trial… which isn’t really doing anything. So there’s nothing lost by hiding those either.

Nobody plays the fog offerings but their effects are negligible.

Coin offerings are also negligible. Shroud offerings are already hidden, as are the moris. Nobody plays the ‘show basement hook’ offering because it’s pathetic. And hatch offerings should be hidden for reasons I’ve outlined in another comment.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,496
    edited August 21

You can't prove any difference in if the killer plays meaner or if they are just playing the way they normally play without any bp offerings, a similar thing can be said if I brough a blood point offering as killer, do the survivors suddenly have to go easier on me?

Is the excuse hide bp offerings because "people" play nasty during events because news flash people play nasty 24/7. Just because it feels disproportionate because of a few psychological phenomena and events attracting people who usually play in those boring mean playstyles because they burn out fast on it and do something else in a different game. Doesn't mean we should make a mainly survivor sided buff, if you want to hide bp hide bp, if you want to buff survivors, no thanks

Using a semi reasonable thing to say we should add an unreasonable thing isn't going to make me budge on the main point of hatch and map offerings shouldn't be hidden, neither should things that can have a big match impact like putrid oak, stacked luck offerings, ect.

Offerings can drastically shape the gameplay loop and knowing what you are in for is important because you get to plan ahead and thing a bit more. If they bring a map with a strong main building you can plan out to chase an outer subset of gens, if they bring 4 coins they may have chest perks like the new healing one coming out. Theres no reason to hide it other than to give survivors free "gotcha" matches where they pull some bedsheet over a poor killers head and beat them down with stuff they can't expect and kind of "similar" with killer but their stuff is usually obvious really quickly (scratched mirror myers)

Post edited by bjorksnas on
  • danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,164

I'm convinced there's a way to still find where it is before it's spawned. A survivor I played against recently was on the ground and literally crawled to where it spawned before it did. Just in the middle of nowhere in Eyrie, they knew exactly where its spawn was. And that's just an instance where I saw it spawn on them. Who knows how many times a survivor has been dead to rights, and the hatch spawns basically right on them, like they knew? We'll never know for sure because we weren't there to see it spawn, but I have a feeling hatch doesn't just "randomly spawn" like they say it does.