The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Take a Final Stance against Camping/Tunneling

RickSanchez
RickSanchez Member Posts: 56
edited August 28 in General Discussions

This type of gameplay cannibalizes the experience for most people, it shouldn't be part of the game, it just isn't fun no matter what.

If a killer wants to, they can completely kill the enjoyment of the game for you and decide to tunnel you, the only solution i see to completely end this toxic gameplay is to give the normal gamemode the 2v8 treatment, and make it so killers cant see hooked survivors and they get teleported randomly around the map.

No its not a viable strategy, its a toxic harmful playstyle that does nothing but make the game look bad. Remember that Twitch Tournament for DBD that a disaster?

Comments

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243
    edited August 28

It is definitely a viable strategy. Many times in the past when I was new I would have 2-3 hooks and all gens were done. I would camp the last survivor and end up with 2-3 kills because survivors wouldn't give up.

It belongs in the game. Simple as that.

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 350

Id agree it shouldnt be a thing at all.

Short of making survivors just immune for several minutes, I dont know how though.

Its boring to watch and boring to play on both sides of it.

• rattus210
    rattus210 Member Posts: 51

Won't ever happen until you put the devs against a good killer player who tunnels off the rip. So we can have another situation where flash lights got nerfed cause of how easy it was to bully a dev when they were asked to play killer.

• Yggleif
    Yggleif Member Posts: 169

Ask an executioner main if they struggle with tunneling at all. There isn't really a fix to this, 4v1 is survivor sided but 3v1 is killer sided but slow the game down so killers could spread hooks if they wanted and they most likely won't. Maybe if the game was centered around torturing the survivors instead of killing that rebalance would result in something less sweaty but that will never happen.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,988
    edited August 28

Tactics are definitely the number 1 reason solo q survivors quit at least base on my now dead friend list. Tactics are heavy bake into certain killers kits like trapper, hag, and twins. Hard nerfing these things will mean some killers will need to be change. Tunneling probably the biggest factor at keeping the kill rate at the desire 60% im betting. The 1v4 just is what it is at this point. 2v8 was magical! the devs solve most of the main issues on both side at one time.

cage moving- not much crying about camping

2 killers teammates- less crying about swf now

no unhook notification- way less tunneling complaints

Harder to stealth- less crying about hiding survivors because of the basekit no where to hide on gens. Still can hide late game but a massive improvement in my opinion.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 661

The Devs have taken the stance that Camping and Tunnelling are viable strategies and allowed, but excessive camping and tunnelling are not.

That's it. That's their stance. These are part of the game and unfortunately, it's something we have to deal with just like genrushing is. They are not going to change this I'm afraid… They don't want to and are not willing to. It's intended gameplay. It's part of the game.

• Toystory3Monkey
    Toystory3Monkey Member Posts: 450

"you just had to ruin it by getting good".

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,428

I have always proposed a solution like this:

• Remove basekit BT
    • Remove the Anti face camp mechanic
    • Rework anti-tunnel perks like OTR and DS
      • You won't need them shortly, we'll replace them with something better
    • When a survivor is unhooked, they receive a new status effect called "Ethereal" for 30 seconds
      • The basic gist of Ethereal is that it is the survivor version of spirit's power, but more exactly, while ethereal…
        • The survivor moves at 200% movement speed
        • They have no collision with the killer
        • They make no noise to the killer
        • They make no scratch marks
        • They leave no trails of blood
        • They are completely invisible to the killer
        • They see the aura of all of their teammates
        • They are not affected by any killer power's or perks (although any stack effects that normally do, stay on them like sadako tapes for example)
        • They are UNABLE to perform any conspicuous actions
        • After the effect expires, they are fully healed to the healthy state (this removes all killer effects that aren't meant to persist, for example like plague power, and wesker infect, etc.)
          • Those killers may need some buffs to compensate, but those can be handled on an individual basis.
    • When a survivor is hooked, if the killer lingers within 16 meters of that hook for 5 seconds (with a 10 second grace period), regardless of if there is another survivor nearby or not (unlike the current mechanic) the survivor is automatically teleported the hook that is closest to the survivor that is furthest from the killer.
      • Basically, if the killer camps, the survivor gets teleported to a teammate that should be able to save them before the killer can get to them, and once saved, they now have 30 seconds of safety.

This makes it so a killer can't camp, they can't tunnel, because the survivor can get to safety and is fully healed. So even if they "tunnel" it is another reset and fair chase that the survivor gets plenty of time to get to a safe area, and is fully healed.

On the flip side of it, when a killer hooks a survivor, they now KNOW that survivor cannot be working on gens, or healing, or doing anything useful for 30 seconds. Effectively the survivor is put on a "time out" this means that hooking a survivor, and then IGNORING them is actively encouraged, because now you can have 30 seconds of only 3 survivors on gens.

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 369

Camping and tunneling are necessary in many games when paired against coordinated swf. Sometimes there is no other way to win. Choose to lose by playing nice in these scenarios and enjoy tbags and bm after the match. Sometimes with insults too.

Recipe for happiness for all killers:
    1. If you are winning be nice and have fun ( I often go for 12 hooks here)

2. If odds are even , play seriously and do not allow safe unhooks (feed on their altruism, zoning etc)

3. If you are getting nuked, camp and tunnel, win and turn off chat.

4. Load the next match with a smile

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 353

Let's see you win games against good survivors without any camping or tunneling. Please show us how it's done.

• Prometheus1092
    Prometheus1092 Member Posts: 218

Cage system in 2 v 8 was very quickly abused, it didn't take long for killers to work out rough estimate on where cages were. Would rush over teleport it away and repeat so no one could save.

Not only that but enjoyment is subjective, what 1 person finds toxic and boring another might find fun and reasonable. I for 1 do find camping, slugging, tunneling fun as it beats the alternative (looping). Personally I think going in circles around a pallet like scooby chase is boring, I would rather have a chase to took me around the map through different obstacles and areas, not in a circle for ages before moving on to the next loop. Some people find that fun...each to their own. But if you say camping and tunneling shouldn't be part of the game then I could say loops shouldn't be part of the game. Like it or not, it's part of the game and we all have to endure these little "unfun" flaws if we choose to play the game.