The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why do killers think this game is survivior sided?

Comments

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,879
    edited September 7

The only time i see the game being killer sided at the "highest" level of play is nurse. Every one else is just survivor because 4 people bringing meta is way stronger than 1 blight or spirit bringing meta. You can't claim "highest level of play" on BHVRs stats when the game is literally soft capped for MMR.

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 251

12 games, though I only put in 11 of the game results, that's on me, left out one 4k because I missed it when the video wasn't lined up right.

Want to start here because I think this gives a lot of insight into how skewed your perception is. The killer won more than the survivors. How in the world can the killer be struggling? Struggle implies a great challenge, a disadvantage, like killers are lucky to even get a few hooks. But they're doing fine and winning more than the survivors. Like how much does the killer have to smash survivors into the ground to not be struggling?

did you take a deeper look at what made you win and what made survivors lose or you just went by plain "i won, they lost" logic? If the latter is the case, i can already see your experience rather not worth of consideration.

Yeah, as like a factually obvious metric. The killers kill, 3k+ more than 1k or less, they 4k more than 0k, etc. All of that shows the game is killer sided.

Counter to some of your points:

-Killers can also throw

-Killers frequently don't run proper meta, and if they don't its more impactful

-Bad RNG half the time? That means they get good RNG half the time. Seems like it balances out.

-If a killer is that rare that survivors barely see them, its going to have minimal statistical impact.

ohh, so yeah, result of pubs with matchmaking being basically nonexistent mean game is killer sided, what an absolutely fantastic logic! If just every killer that does a 4k actually analyzes their game instead of just looking over how the match ended, it would be fantastic.

The devs target kill rate is an example of the game being killer sided. It's a design decision and a different discussion.

Also, when BHVR has given us the top level MMR data, it doesn't show killers falling off in high MMR in any noticeable degree. Even the 4 person SWF at the top level still leans killer.

Back to going in order:

high MMR? The one where players at 1600 MMR points aka. soft cap can be matched with players at 2200 (hard cap) because yeah, they are all treated as if they have same skill level? High MMR is something that dies the very moment it was decided to prioritize faster lobbies instead of accurate ones.

Why are killer perks crutch perks and the banned survivor perks aren't cheese perks?

you also have "crutch" perks on survivor side, while majority of banned survivor perks are relate to removing killer agency and leading killer into lose-lose situations where whatever they do, it leads them into losing.

Except they have these. NOED and Rancor allowed on some killers, not to mention just standing in front of the hook.

because both of those are literally just a source of endgame pressure meant to secure 1k at most :)

And endgame camping is literally legit everywhere.

What's your point in any of this? Earlier you were saying that when we look at comp we need to look at what they remove as evidence of the game's balance, now those bans are just cheese and silly things.

Also, way underestimating the adaptability for DbD. What's the map, where are the gens, what should I focus on, which killer am I facing, trying to figure out the perks in play. All of those are things comp either cuts out completely or substantially removes.

seems like you are (intentionally) missing the point of actual RNG aspect in the game. Best example: kobes (which are banned in comp DbD btw)

Well unless I missed something big in the options page, they can't ban killers as a factual matter.

The argument is simple: in the normal game survivors don't know which killer they are going to face. It's not that they don't need to know how but:

A: earlier talking about which side needs more skill, the survivors need to be prepared for 37 different killers. That seems like a pretty big skill accomplishment.

B: the survivors have to build their perks not knowing what they are going to face. They need to prepare for 37 possibilities, in comp they only need to prepare for one.

out of those 37 killers, roughly 90% have a simple kind of counter, it's really not nuclear physics. Only few of them have more complex and unique kind of counters (Nurse: cutting LoS, playing in unpredictable ways, Oni: denying first hit, forcing him out of power etc.)

Your argument makes it sound like you want the killer to have simple, easy to play, always right moves. I hooked the survivor in the 3 gen, I win. I'm going for the tunnel out, I win. What you're calling mistakes are things that survivors have resources and elements to fight back against. The killer needs to counter those. Both sides need to make their decisions based on a lack of information.

We could basically throw everything the killer can do in here as an example as well. Like at the extreme end I could be like why does the killer have perks to reduce gen progress, he messed up by letting the survivor work on it. Then you have the more obvious things, end game perks, Devour Hope, spirit fury+hubris, etc.

But having those perks and playing into them isn't a mistake, they are choices on how to play the game, and then the survivors have to respond, just like killers have to respond to what survivors do.

no, killers shouldn't "have it easier", but we also shouldn't have a decently balanced game achievable only in comp tournaments.

Gen regression perks are literally main source of pressure, aside of specific killers' powers. But there are also perks on killer side that are such a cheese that they just shouldn't exist (Deadlock, Endfury etc.)

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811

That became their ideal after their numbers were at 60%. I guess they figured it would be easy to just shoot for a 60/40 split instead of nerfing killers down to a 50/50. Their target last year was a 50/50 split.

• Bookern
    Bookern Member Posts: 159

if players are supposed to lose when playing bad lets talk about the Free pity hatch escapes survs can get always claiming they "win" tbagging at hatch. Scrap the Hatch mechanic

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,713

did you take a deeper look at what made you win and what made survivors lose or you just went by plain "i won, they lost" logic? If the latter is the case, i can already see your experience rather not worth of consideration.

You're jumping into the middle of a conversation and starting off with an easily disproved assumption. These aren't my games, these are the finals of the comp Spring Invitational.

ohh, so yeah, result of pubs with matchmaking being basically nonexistent mean game is killer sided, what an absolutely fantastic logic!

Don't have any idea what this has to do with what I'm posting there.

BHVR has said that excluding off hours, the MMR matches people up of the same level pretty reliably. If you're going to approach the discussion with the idea of 'BHVR's just making it up', I don't know what we have to go off of.

It also goes against what a lot of 'high MMR killer mains' post in this forum about hitting cracked survivors one after the other.

you also have "crutch" perks on survivor side, while majority of banned survivor perks are relate to removing killer agency and leading killer into lose-lose situations where whatever they do, it leads them into losing.

Except that's not true. Survivors can run many of the perks that killers say are lose-lose situations. Forcing something like a decisive strike via a locker grab is a whole part of comp strategy.

And again you're not paying attention to what else was said in the thread. I'm comparing the so called survivor crutch perks with what the killer has and wondering why we're just calling ones sides perks crutches.

On the lose-lose: this is called tradeoffs. Both sides have to weigh the risk / reward of what to do in the game and make an educated guess on what they think will yield the best outcome. As I said in an earlier post, the argument seems to be that killer's should have straightforward right and wrong decisions, but that's not what the game is for either side.

seems like you are (intentionally) missing the point of actual RNG aspect in the game. Best example: kobes (which are banned in comp DbD btw)

I understand why comp makes the changes they do. I've watched a ton of it. It's not reflective of the game that other people play because of all the changes they make.

out of those 37 killers, roughly 90% have a simple kind of counter, it's really not nuclear physics. Only few of them have more complex and unique kind of counters (Nurse: cutting LoS, playing in unpredictable ways, Oni: denying first hit, forcing him out of power etc.)

If you want to argue that, go ahead. The other person I was responding to was saying that the rarer killers are a reason that the killer win rate is inflated.

But being we're on the subject, even if that's not difficult, it's harder than the killer who only have to worry about survivor perks, never killer powers.

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 251

You're jumping into the middle of a conversation and starting off with an easily disproved assumption. 

These aren't my games

, these are the finals of the comp Spring Invitational.

how aren't u familiar with how Eternal stomps tournaments in general both killer/survivor wise?

Don't have any idea what this has to do with what I'm posting there.

BHVR has said that excluding off hours, the MMR matches people up of the same level pretty reliably. If you're going to approach the discussion with the idea of 'BHVR's just making it up', I don't know what we have to go off of.

It also goes against what a lot of 'high MMR killer mains' post in this forum about hitting cracked survivors one after the other.

please tell me what exactly is reliable in matches when people massively get matched with complete newbies or people way above their skill level? How is it possible that i get consistently 4k in my matches, yet i get matched against at least 1 surv in enemy team that doesn't know how to hug objects in chase for example?

Except that's not true. Survivors can run many of the perks that killers say are lose-lose situations. Forcing something like a decisive strike via a locker grab is a whole part of comp strategy.

And again you're not paying attention to what else was said in the thread. I'm comparing the so called survivor crutch perks with what the killer has and wondering why we're just calling ones sides perks crutches.

On the lose-lose: this is called tradeoffs. Both sides have to weigh the risk / reward of what to do in the game and make an educated guess on what they think will yield the best outcome. As I said in an earlier post, the argument seems to be that killer's should have straightforward right and wrong decisions, but that's not what the game is for either side.

crutches on both sides turn matches into easy wins at low skill levels, while getting exponentionally more difficult to win using those at high skill levels.

Regarding tradeoffs, no, you can't call it that way. Please tell me how is e.g. slugging a Plot Twist + DS survivor any more beneficial than eating up the DS?

• kit_mason
    kit_mason Member Posts: 278

Why do survivors think this game is killer sided?

It's just a way to excuse their own lack of skill, which is the defining factor in more games than "sidedness" ever has been.

• devoutartist
    devoutartist Member Posts: 108

not really if you checked the last stats release high mmr soloq/duo was actually lower in the escape rate then mid to low mmr soloq /duo queue where the stats differs in high mmr is swf of 3 to 4 in a party but there a caviate to this tough is really dependent on maps/killers vs the 4 man high mmr swf high mmr swf like to bring map offering to win more than average that being Saied this population of high mmr swf 3 to 4 man are verry low and might not be a good measuring factor because of a small simple size compare to the rest i don't think that high mmr is survivor sided per say but that some maps aspect of high mmr 3/4 man swf uses specific advantage that makes them win with maps offering way more that on average they would not get away with if map offering didn't exist

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,648

The game currently has a problems revolving around survivors excessively hiding for hatch, because those survivors believe it counts as a win. And survivor MMR is purposely weighted towards individual performance, because at the end of the day, most survivors really care about whether or not they personally escaped.

If most survivors really cared about team escapes, as much as you claim, then BHVR would have made survivor MMR to be mostly team based, and they would just flat out tell survivors that a hatch escape is still an MMR loss if the other 3 survivors lost the game.

And that's the actual problem. If you want matchmaking to be a team effort for survivors, then most hatch escapes need to count as a loss, which means hatch would be mostly useless.

• Ayodam

TBH it’s inconsequential what players feel. The people who program the game have identified it as such.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197
    edited September 8

When we're talking about why players feel a certain way, I think what players feel is probably relevant.

Its probably also relevant to the people who want their consumer base to enjoy their product.

• Ayodam

Sure. So what do survivors feel? These are the people who make up the lion’s share of consumers, no?

• mecca
    mecca Member Posts: 287

Every single word.

This won't ever change until there's a completely new dev team that can understand both sides rather pushing the Power Role narrative.

• canonjack001
    canonjack001 Applicant Posts: 67

because killer see the whole game and each survivor only see 1/4 of the game

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 661

Everyone here has said what I want to better than I can. The game is Killer sided, on purpose, because Survs are supposed to be the underdogs.

However, that doesn't mean certain mechanics in the game really are unfun to go against, or that either side doesn't have any sort of annoying things they can do. Those should probably be looked at for the sake of game enjoyment.

I think @hermitkermit is most correct - this game is like a Hollow Knight, Dark Souls, or Elden Ring in one very important way: surviving is supposed to be HARD.

• Toystory3Monkey
    Toystory3Monkey Member Posts: 450
    edited September 9
  • Ayodam

Survivor characters sell more cosmetics than killer characters. This is my point. People don’t buy survivor cosmetics as collector’s items; they buy them to see, enjoy, and show them off. It doesn’t really matter if they play one or both roles in this regard; survivor characters make up the lion’s share of BHVR’s profit. If people are unhappy with the survivor experience and thereby do not wish to play survivor, they’re unlikely to continue buying survivor-based cosmetics. That is my point.

• crogers271
    edited September 9

I did the math, and the average numbers are much worse for Survivor (as a team).

I think you're reaching the right conclusion, I'm just not sure I understand how your math gets there.

So the things that have been covered that we I'm pretty sure we agree on: a 60% kill range can be anywhere from a 3k/4k (win) rate of anywhere between 20% and 80% because there are many permutations on how you get there.

Were I think you are making a mistake, though I might be misreading it, is you can't just average out the permutations to get there. That creates the same flaw as just taking the 2.4 kills per match and trying to base common results on an overall average/mean. Some permutations are more likely than others.

As I said a few times in the thread you linked, by itself a 60% kill rate doesn't give us enough data to determine what the win rate is. We'd need to look at an actual data set, the best we have is Nightlight which usually gives a 60% kill rate at a 50 to 55% win rate (usually higher end), 30 to 35% survivor win rate (more lower end) and 10 to 15% draw rate (usually lower end).

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 804

The game is now, I would say, balanced.

Killers win more on low ranks, and lose more on high ranks.

Survivors lose more games on lower ranks and win more on higher ones

• Toystory3Monkey

I did the math above in the thread and it fell on deaf ears because people are too busy making a victim of themselves instead of admitting the truth lmao.

let me repeat the takeaway again very short: 60% killrate in conditions where one side is represented by a single player having full agency and capability of learning for their side while the other side consists of mostly random people incapable of fully expressing skill due to lack of an ability to optimize themselves and depending on each other's performance INHERENTLY means the game is survivor sided because the killrate is closer to 50% than it is to 75%+.

If the game was killer sided, the survivors would barely EVER get even a single person through gates, let alone more than 2 and killrates would be above 75% since most games would naturally result into 3k+hatch. That's not the case though, survivors are able to get 2 outs or move often enough to make killrates lean closer to 50% than 75%.

to put it another way: if survivors werent victims (actual ones) of poor matchmaking and lack of communications that deny them the ability to learn working as a team and drag each other down whenever there's a weak link, they'd be winning most of their games as long as they aren't severely outskilled / throwing. the game is balanced around the assumption survivors are always underpeforming so when they are not underperforming and actually put the roughly equal skill & effort input as the killer, the game is severely in their favour.

but you can keep making up more elaborate mental gymnastics instead of admitting the game is ultimately survivor sided and that's okay for it to be like that to a certain extent because survivors players are handicapped in terms of skill expression by this game's poor matchmaking. but folks here rather deny the obvious and make fools out of themself.

• Toystory3Monkey

i asserted? lmao, i was only running off the sources the other guy provided.

but it doesnt matter which big data source i use, the logic applies everywhere.

and, again, your whole argument is based on including players refusal to play the game to win and lack of skill to do so. yeah, it's harder to survivors to get 4 people to sweat and get good, but guess ######### what happens when they do that.

by your own logic nurse is a weak killer because she has notoriously low killrates, while freddy krueger, pinhead or whatever need to be nerfed into the ground.

• Toystory3Monkey

"killers get slightly more kills than survivors escape on average therefore the game is killer sided" do you even hear yourself?

btw, nurse needs buffs, she has poor killrates. and they need to nerf freddy, i heard he is one of the top % killers. stats are everything, right?

• crogers271

Man, I was about to do a dive into Premier League soccer to compare goal averages vs results and you saved me the trouble.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

Why is everyone treating survivors as a monolith capable of having a draw?

Nothing in the game treats them as a full fledged team, the sole escapee doesnt lose because 3 die and the sole dead guy doesnt win when the other 3 escape.

A 2k isnt a draw, its 2 survivors winning and the other 3 players in the trial losing.

IIdentity V atleast gives % bonus points for 3+ escapes as something to mark its survivors as a team.

• kit_mason

Actually do the math, though. 60% kill rate distributes out to a 50% win rate. 20% winrate absolute lowest, 80% winrate absolute highest.

• kit_mason

I didn't say "uh survivors need to get good".

Both sides of this game think the game is sided in a way that disproporationately disadvantages them when it doesn't. Most games are won by the side playing harder to win, through skill mindset or loadout.

Saying the game is sided, then, is just a way to excuse your own poor play, regardless of which side you're on.

• kit_mason

60% kill rate = 50% winrate. Genuinely, go look at how a 60% kill rate spread across just 10 games could play out and you'll see that at best killer won 80% of their matches just barely and at worst they won only 20% of them, with all other scenarios distributed along a bell curve that peaks at 50%.