DBD should have a Grand Finale and stop making Killers at the 40th Killer mark. (Unpopular Opinion)

I hate to say this about my favorite game, but the Fortnite-fication of Dead by Daylight has been slowly creeping in over the past few years. With more and more characters added that really don't vibe with the OG Horror esthetic the game had from 2016-2021.

I think this is the logical conclusion of every Games of a Service becomes the Flanderization of the game itself, with endless updates that takes it further from its original base game.

But I'm a strong believer of back when media had a logical end point. Where a game has exhausted every mechanic it can with its engine and move on to bigger and better things. (Maybe a Dead by Daylight 2 with new mechanics, movement, engine etc.)

It seems more updates are focused on Paid Characters rather than creativity and if BHVR could stop milking the game to death with these updates (not unlike Fortnite) they could pull off a great sequel with another game.

But this is just wishful thinking, there will be no Grand Final Killer (Spawn of the Entity), and DBD will continue milking characters for years and years to come as it slowly becomes a Fornite Clone.

Comments

• meatballzzz
    meatballzzz Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 6

The game would just die if they do not release any new content. They must make new killers. But I do believe they should be more creative with killer powers

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971
    edited September 13

these long running games do have to stop eventually rainbow six siege is finally switching to only having 2 operators a year for example

• totallynotamegmain
    totallynotamegmain Member Posts: 658

I completely agree, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again; BHVR has run out of ideas. Look at Dracula and Vecna, they are literally just other killer powers/perks just copy and pasted over. They’ve exhausted everything they can do with perks and killer powers and unless they add an entirely new game mechanic then there’s nowhere for them to go with new content except for making it all Dracula perk levels of bad.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 683

I would happily accept only a couple chapters a year if it meant better health passes, updates, and more time to create hype for good new chapters.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,104

Yep. Enticing new gameplay also doesn't have to just come from new killer powers/perks.

New modes for instance could take that on, if it adds new mechanics that players interact with, which they are doing, but they haven't yet slowed their pace on killer design/perk design.

Though the thing about a "DBD 2" is it's just a new game-mode (and any engine updates could have just been done on the original game with growing pains), but your player-base just lost out on all the progress they originally had.

Frankly they could just make "DBD 2" a new game-mode in dead by daylight without alienating their existing audience.

• HamsterEnjoyer
    HamsterEnjoyer Member Posts: 710

Not possible. Everytime they do something like this even with mid chapters they lose thousands of players, last time they even tried to do something like this they lose I think it was almost 10k or over 10k players. Its rough, DBD needs CONSTANT content coming out because the base game just gets so boring quick