We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

The lists of reasons of why DBD doesn't have more players than it should:

What?

Where is the list? - I want you to write it. :D

I think DBD should have even more players, but why do you guys think it doesn't?

The only "rules" are: Be open and honest, you are free to write as many reasons as you want, humor is very welcome.

Comments

• This content has been removed.
  • Unknown
    edited September 19
    This content has been removed.
  • Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,552
    edited September 19

I think the main reason is already said.

A new player will probably have a lot of bad matches at the start.

Only the few with real strong interest and resilience will continue to play the game and i guess this aren´t that many.

But with the high numbers at the start of 2v8 you saw that there are a lot of old players which might come back. But the base game in its current state don´t get these to play.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,630

Mhm… You think it's because of mmr putting much experienced players against new players? Or initial perks are just bad for beginners?

Or… Perhaps… Paywall characters? (P2W)

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715

It's kind of hard to get into DBD. The game has become so complex over the years, that it must be quite a pain to learn all these different mechanics. On both sides. Although I think survivors have it worse when they are just starting.

That and the fact that the game is very repetitive. Many people played the game for a while but eventually didn't feel like playing anymore. For a live service game that means, when you get back you could very well start from the very beginning again because almost everything that you knew was changed in some way. So returning to DBD after a year or so can be really rough.

It might also have to do with DBD no longer having any hype. The game is 8 years old and so many people played it over the years (they hit 50+ million sales after all), so there probably aren't that many people out there anymore that would be interested in playing it, which means, that the game doesn't generate hype to interest people that normally wouldn't play it in giving it a chance.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,791

I think it is mostly due to MMR, the grind and the unnecessary changes.

Your favorite power, map, perk or add-on can be taken away at any given time. And while this is true for every live service game out there, in DBD it happens way too frequently with things that could have been left alone.

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 941

I think the game does pretty well considering it's an eight year old live service that is niche in it's gameplay, is a dumpster fire for solo survivors, constantly breaks due to the Cthulhu style spaghetti coding, and it's communities are… let's just go with spicy.

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 247

It has exactly as many players as it deserves.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,918
    • Not new player friendly: there's a VARIETY of killers, perks, and maps that players need to learn and the only useful way (in our opinion) is custom matches with others.
    • The grindstone: tying into the above, you need to grind a lot to get more than the "starting kit" (less you play cash for the short cut). While it's a lot less than before, it's daunting for new ones who have no idea about the game.
    • Other players: needless to say that this game doesn't have the... nicest of player base. The verbal abuse from others, the way killers can and often do from the sounds of it, play like an arse, and the like is a damper on morale.
    • Veteran burnout: long time players often burn out and stop playing for long periods (heck the 3 of us are effectively hibernating till October) leading to a lot less online for stretches at a time.
    • "The sheeple": so this one might be a bit of a conspiracy but bear with us. We're under the impression that many people watch content creators and take what they say as absolute fact. They then try to replicate what these content creators say and do and predictably fail because those sheeple are not as good as said creators or said creator was wrong/lucky/whatever you want. They then quit in frustration.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,552

All of this.

The base game does not have that much perks in it.

You have to buy a lot of dlcs now. Even with discount it is expensive.

The MMR does not work very good as we know. Brand new players can get matched with veterans. Something that should never happen.

The grind only comes in play when a player tries to continue playing and it not completely demotivated after the first games already.

Imagine starting new right now… to unlock perks you need millions of BPs.

• ControllerFeedback
    ControllerFeedback Member Posts: 89
    1. The game isn't F2P (not necessarily saying it should be given what free EGC copies & Steam weekends do to the game).
    2. Asymmetrical PvP is a niche genre. Asymmetrical horror (yeah laugh now, get it out of the way) PvP even more so.
    3. It's an old game, although this can actually be a positive for people with weaker rigs or those who don't have the money or willingness to spend $70+ on new games.
    4. The controls (especially for controller, which is lacking a lot of basic settings) aren't up to par with other games. In general DbD lacks a lot of QoL stuff that people expect from modern titles.

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 672

Even though DBD is fairly simple in design it really does take a significant amount of time to actually learn how to play the game at a higher level of play on both sides. You get a grace period with low MMR and then you're thrown to the wolves playing against people with thousands of hours who know every perk and map layout. Theres no simple way to learn these things except through experience & time investment. That will probably put a lot of people off knowing they're probably going to have to play for a good few years before they have enough experience to feel comfortable playing against any Killer or SWF. I would imagine the grind would be quite off-putting to a lot of people as well and it's not cheap on a fresh account if you wanna have all DLC.

I think if you don't fall in love with DBD straight away you might not stick around for long. Baby killers get bullied by SWF & solo queue get bullied by toxic gameplay. These are things that if you're in the fence about investing into this game would probably sway your decision to not play unless of course you fall in love with the game from the get go and endure it until you get good enough to compete at higher levels.

• Sngfun
    Sngfun Member Posts: 270

New player experiencie and grind are both abysmal, until those are fixed gl having a growing playerbase

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,973

honestly this I started playing in 2019 like a month after plague came out and the game was definitely more simplistic to learn back then despite there being more super op stuff back then

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,791

Yeah, when I started in 2018 the new player experience was awesome!

Well, except for Old Legion that is.

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 537
    edited September 20

yes it’s a very difficult one to juggle for a mature game - powers, perks and balances are added almost on the assumption that there is a core player base that are totally comfortable with the status quo and the new stuff is a newer more complex level of challenge.

I think that may definitely be the case for some but it tends to be the more skilled players who at the heart of it, if you take away all perks and powers, they have an incredible level of fluency.

A survivor who can loop very well or stealth (not talking about perks but knows when to jump off a Gen before killer engages and/or work a map) will be able to utilise resources to prolong chase irrespective of their perks and items.

A killer whose macro play and pressure ability is so on point will wear down and throttle progression even without their perks or add-ons, such is their grasp and command over their character or through map knowledge, behavioural predictions and pathing.

Everything else is a facilitation or an enhancement of this. The different methods that exist with perks and powers enables someone who isn’t a natural looper or strong in chase as killer to try to progress through other means until they slowly get better at the core above.

But when the layers of complexity (in my opinion the overload of auras) involves drastic deviations from this core, it makes it a very hard level of entry as you can’t easily improve the core that seasoned players have instilled in them. This is what makes it very difficult to get a beer player into it without asking them to suffer before deciding whether they’ll keep playing or get the hang of it.

Quite a bad example but it popped into my head, it’s like someone playing a fighting game like street fighter and you can understand the basic concepts of attack, block, use power. But before getting into a rhythm of doing a few punches and hadokens, you’re gonna get battered to death by optimised techs, toe pokes and light punches and then added invisible powers which aren’t the exception to the normal gameplay but defines the new gameplay.

Post edited by For_The_People on
  • joybonru22
    joybonru22 Member Posts: 12

That's right guys, this game is completely broken for solo survivor play. I'm a solo survivor main player and have really cut down on my dbd playing hours over the last few months.

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 372

Camping and tunneling even being a thing in this game. And being rewarded for it

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,630

Ofc - it's all about full honesty. You probably know why I created this thread.

Developer team members periodically reading the forum - all your messages are pointing out at the the core issues. I think this is exactly what they need to see, even If they knew about these issues.

So keep it going, guys. :) Every single opinion and message is very welcome.

• vol4r
    vol4r Member Posts: 251

There is actaully few reasons why I don't recommend this game to other people.

1. Grind is too much - having everyone p3 is painful process right now, with the number of characters we got over the years.
    2. You need to pay a lot of money to unlock content - licensed characters etc. I live in Poland and it's expensive for us to pay in euros.
    3. Too many things to learn at this point - tactics, perks, addons. We have like 36 killers and every one of them has different power that people need to learn. It's complicated.
    4. Asymetrical nature of the game which involve everyone to do good is bad - one bad survivior is often enough to lose the game, which should never be a thing. After a tunnel on newbie player, playing 3v1 is too hard.
    5. New players gets targetted and tunneled out of the game most of the time and there is no way for them to fight it.
    6. Too many unpleasant tactics or behaviour - slugging, tunneling, bming, toxicity

Hopefully this might chance sometime in the future. Declutter our offerings and addons, make less addons for each item, we don't use them anyway. Less killer addons perhaps? Less grind, reduction in prices if possible?

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,294

who in their right mind plays a game for 1k hours in order to actually be able to play the game? (between unlocking characters and perks - but also between learning how to even play; from countering specific killers and builds to learning the different maps etc. it takes way too long.)

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 875
    edited September 20

Obviously, the grind and the difficulty are factors, but I'm proof that those things don't matter too much if players really enjoy the game (I joined with the Tools of Torment Chapter).

I think the main limitation to DBD's popularity is that fact that it's a horror game. They have a niche appeal that doesn't extend much beyond, well, fans of other horror media. Of course, there are people who play DBD who don't care much for horror, but I'd be willing to bet they'd be in a tiny minority.

I showed my sister this game once. She said it was horrible and couldn't understand why I played it so much.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 4,002

Some of them making no sense, sometimes leading to alienation between developers and players.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,667

It’s possible that the game might be too scary for some players. I know that horror images have a strikingly strong reaction in some individuals. Almost like a sensitivity that never becomes desensitized.

• SpitefulHateful
    SpitefulHateful Member Posts: 307

Reasons why DbD doesn't have more players:

1. Its current players.

That's it. That's the list.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,973

hey now I’ve put 3000+ in and I still don’t know how to counter absolutely everything in the game

Now a days taking a break for like half a year results in you basically playing a different game