We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

I give up

hello, I hope the BHVR team sees this post. I’m a new player and I saw some YouTube videos on dbd and I thought I’ll give the game a try. Well I’m uninstalling it now. I know I’m just one player but I don’t think I’m the only one with this problem. I only solo q. I was trying to get better at the game as survivor after seeing YouTube videos of big creators looping killers and I thought maybe I could get that good. I realize no that I’ll never be able to do that. I don’t play with anyone, I just solo q survivor. It’s been a month now and I’m giving up. I lose almost every game and with every chase I seem to get worse at the game. There isn’t a practice mechanic in the game so I just have to keep queuing up for games but every time I’m in a chase I get killed instantly. How am I supposed to get better in the span of 15 seconds? I don’t know how other solo q survivors do it, maybe this game just isn’t for me. In the month I’ve played this game I can count how many times I’ve escaped on one hand. I’m not going to ask for nerfs or buffs or anything like that. But for me this game is so one sided I’m just speechless. BHVR might as well get rid of the survivor option and make it killer vs killer. Because I don’t know how survivors escape. I just can’t play this game anymore. I tried to give it a shot and post about my problems but it’s no use. I can’t win as a solo survivor.

Comments

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,149

well the thing with this game is, so much has come out you can't just sit down and learn everything. i'd probably say anyone under 2-300 hours is pretty new.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,117
    edited October 2

Sorry you feel that way man.

The truth is the DBD iceberg is huge, and requires a lot of time and dedication to crack into. I myself thoroughly enjoyed the game the moment I started playing in May last year, so I'm a relatively new player, who has experienced the same insane learning curve that you are currently.

However this game immediately struck a chord with me and I set out to learn as much as I possibly could. Seeing how hard this game was to get into, and I spent a week studying it before I even picked up the controller. As well as watching carefully what streamers were doing, I watched numerous guides, read and studied the wiki in detail, and even joined this forum and talked to as many people as possible (and people had a lot of patience for me and my ######### 🤘🧡🤘).

I didn't want to know just what streamers were doing, I wanted to know WHY they were doing it. It's surprising how much you can learn from people when you are open and genuinely ask questions.

If your goal is to try and loop like JRM, Aryun or Hens, that is a very hard skill to learn, and the difference between them and the rest of us is purely knowledge and practise. The fantasy of playing like those guys is the same as playing like Ronaldo or Messi in football, but just cause you can't reach them quickly doesn't suddenly make football a crap game not worth your time, you keep turning up to training and you will get good.

I genuinely believe the biggest mistake people make learning DBD is they don't play killer. You CAN just play survivor, but you limit your ability to learn significantly. You can play a killer just 2 or 3 times and you get a rough idea how they work in a single evening, and more importantly you can watch other survivors to see what you should (and shouldn't) be doing to deal with them... or you can play against them 1 time every 2 weeks and take literally months or even years to learn they work. The very same players you idolise as great loopers are also great killers.

The other advantage is the 2 sides are so different, if you're having a rough time on one, you can switch to the other for a break... and believe me you get plenty of rough games on killer as you do survivor. I was doing well on survivor very quickly because I initially started playing killer, and I had a good idea what the killers limitations were, and what I could do to make their game harder.

With such a big roster of killers to choose from, you're guaranteed to find someone you'll enjoy, and that gives you an identity in DBD that keeps you invested. I still consider myself a Pig main, even though I actually tend to play survivor more often nowadays.

Dunno if any of that will help, but if you do stick around, stay humble, learn as much as you can, and you'll find DBD is a very rich game with a massive and rewarding skill ceiling to grow into for both survivor and killer.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,872

I think a big issue for new players is the perk/addon bloat from the business model of releasing a new DLC every 3 months, which makes the problem worse by the year. Even as a veteran I have lost motivation to keep track of perks now and during the current event I find myself having no idea what a lot of my perks are named, let alone what they actually do.

I have nearly 5k hours in game between accounts (4.4k on main account) and I cant keep track because I have taken breaks, so I have no idea how a new player is meant to keep track of this.

Also, the game just passed its 8th year so there is a very experienced player base, even if many also come and go too. I always joked the first 1000 hours is the tutorial but it is somewhat true too

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 792

To be honest if you really want to get a good start as survivor, play killer first: you can see how they play against you, what works and doesn't work and therefore your gameplay as survivor should have a good basis. Of course you still have to play this game a ton because even 2k hours in this game isn't really much, content creators that I know have between 5-10k hours so it would confuse me if you get as good as them so quickly.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715

I'm sorry to hear that. The new player experience in DBD is pretty rough since you have so many different mechanics, maps, visual and audible clues as well as perks, items and addons to learn.

Unfortunately there is not much the devs can do to make that easier. You can't expect to learn all of this in only a few hours. Many of us here have thousands of hours at the game and are still learning new things.

Survivor is also a less intuitive role than killer, so it has a much higher skill floor. You would expect some things to work best that experienced players know are unwise. Looping is a special beast to conquer. With 37 killers that all have something unique you need to learn more than just the general concept and pathing. You also need to learn what killers are strong around what loops, what each of their powers do and what to look out for. That alone will take 500 hours at least.

Something that can help is playing both sides. As a killer you have other survivors teach you exactly what does and doesn't work. This paints a much more complete picture than what content creators usually show. It is not very realistic for you to run around looping a killer for 5 minutes and that is the way it has to be because otherwise gens would need to take 6 minutes each. The killer has the upper hand in the 1v1 to make up for the survivors playing a 4v1.

If you ever want to return, I'm sure many of us would be happy to give you some advice if needed. There is also a section in the forums that is dedicated to finding other people you can play with. Some of them might teach you a few more specific things.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,630
    edited October 2

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with the game, but as others said: Content creators were playing dbd for literal years and have from 7 up to 12 thousands of h (somewhere around that) in the game.

It's practically impossible to be as good as they are within a little amount of time. BUT! It is possible to become as good as they are overall.

When I just started to play dbd, I've had literally the same experience as you, but on killer side. :D I've got no clue what I was doing, where to go, what to do next, etc.

But I was really eager to learn, I was still going through all the t-bags at the exit gates, all the clicking and other funny stuff that survivor players were doing.

I remember once I hit a 2-3 months of playtime - I got used to my favorite (by these times) killer, and I was used to most of the maps and tiles, game mechanics.

I was watching A LOT of "Dead by daylight funny random moments" series, and was actually learning a LOT from these. :D

The desire to become good at the game is all you need. If you don't feel like keep playing, just feel free to play whatever you want, friend. :)

I wish you the best of mood and have a beautiful day! ❤❤❤

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 405

game has a steep learning curve, stick around and the game gets fun once you get a bit better. Chases are fun once you understand the concept.

with that said, solo q is unforgiving and how good you get is irrelevant when it takes just 1 teammate to throw the match for all 4 of you. That part can't be helped unfortunately

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 663

Just play as killer. You get to learn how survivors do well in chase.

But no, I wouldn't recommend you continue playing survivor soloq.

You will just get more and more frustrated as the years pass.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 2,015

It took me probably 2 years to be "good" at looping

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,538

1 month is nothing in this game, honestly. I'm 50/50 surv/killer player with 2,5k hours and I'm still far from being really good as some CCs. Good advices will be to play both sides and play a lot of custom with your friends to learn looping and chasing faster.
    It's really hard to enjoy this game in first 500 hours, I know, but game is too large to be new players friendly.

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 504

The big problem you're facing is that those content creators played the game for years and know exactly how each killer works and predict how the person is gonna play based on their killer. You typically can't reach anywhere near the same skill level within a month as well as learn how every killer works during that time as well(especially since a lot of those content creators typically don't explain how the powers of different killers work and when they do they barely say much and briefly speak about it).

If you want my suggestions I would recommend switching over to killer for awhile(since you now should be familiarized with the mechanics on Survivor). This way you can learn how the general killer mechanics work and learn their powers to familiarize yourself with them to help you get a better understanding at how to counter them as survivor.

Also, if you want the extra assistance in learning how to become better in some aspects of the game, a content creator that I'd, personally, recommend is Bazazell on YouTube. He's a relatively good player who plays both sides and, even though he uploads mostly killer videos on different builds/killers, he does have some survivor videos and, regardless of which side he's playing on, he tends to actively explain what you should and shouldn't do in different situations for either side(meaning for either or both survivor and killer) while he's playing the game which is a helpful tool since he's, essentially, giving a visual example of what he is talking about which is more helpful than what a lot of other big DBD content creators do with not giving enough info or what other people do which is the opposite route of trying to explain stuff to you without much visual aid on what they're talking about gameplay-wise. That's where Bazazell comes into play with the tips he give since he does what both sides commonly fail to do which is both explain some tips for different situations while also giving you a visual aid through his own active gameplay. Also he tends to actually give out a little piece of info about specific parts of killer powers that many players don't know about from time to time which is actually useful for certain situations depending on what killer you're against.

• k3ijus
    k3ijus Member Posts: 268

Just play killer for awhile, you get the knowledge of map layout whilst not losing and you can see how the surviviors think whilst understanding killers powers and limitations. Not to mention youll win almost every game. Just run windows of opportunities for survivior, its incredibly broken for new survivors. The game just has a deep learning curve because its not like other games and if a killer wants to, they can 100% kill you if they set their mind on it.

• Paternalpark
    edited October 2

In regards to learning the game as a new player.

Pros for Killer:

More BP so you can grind less.

Your skill is all that determines a win or loss.

You can slug, tunnel or camp your way to win.

Whatever playstyle you exel at will be facilitated by new perks or killers.

You learn how to loop optimally as survivor without going down, being hooked or holding m1.

You understand killers limitations and can use this info for counterplay.

Pros for Survivor:

Your teammates can carry you to the exit gates.

• TWS001
    TWS001 Member Posts: 157

I've been playing for 3 years now. And probably have over 3thousand hours and still have so much to learn. Couldn't even imagine how hard being a new player in solo queue would be now with the amount of different perks, maps and killers to understand.

There is a lot of good advice in here, especialiy playing as killer to get a view of what survivors should and should't do. As for playing survivor, I'd say have a clear path in your mind of what perks you want to unlock from the survivors you can unlock with shards just by playing the game. If you can get Windows Of Opportunity unlocked, that will help you to see where windows and pallets have spawned for when trying to escape the killer and start to really learn the maps. Once you have that you should be able to have a decent build of perks using that and 3 other perks from the survivors that are unlocked at the start.

It is worth learning because you literally have years of stuff to unlock, challenges to do and once you have more perks unlocked you can do absorts of fun builds and challenges.

• Unequalmitten86
    Unequalmitten86 Member Posts: 205

The very first mistake is believing what you see from streamers. I always said they are a downfall because they show camping, slugging, tunneling for the win, then on the survivor side it is all edited. But it's free advertising of the game.

Now you have options here. You can play customs against a bot to help you but I like hands on visual. O learned the most about looping by being killer and allowing yourself to be looped. Then after the match see what perks they carry. It takes time to improve and don't stay married to your perks. I honestly don't feel you can be a casual player and expect to win. The state the game is in with majority of killers slugging doesn't give you the practice you need to loop. I would not recommend anyone get this game right now because of how bad the matches are a year ago it was a different story.

Foremost don't think youare going to win every match.

• himheart
    himheart Member Posts: 112

You will never become good enough for this game. You become better - the game gives you better opponents - you suck, repeat.

• Paternalpark

Low mmr has total chase time as 60 secs. Divide by 12 hook states and you got 5 seconds to "get gud" each match.

30 games to get a minute worth of looping.

That's why you need 1000+ hours of survivor gameplay to get good at looping. Most of it is just bar-fill simulator.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 2,061
    edited October 2

Still to this day u cant even practice vs a bot for survivors. We just need one simple bot that would stand still so survivors can explore the map.

You need to practice basic movement for survivor and a friend very unlikely to wanna sit through that in a custom match. Unfortunately you going to need a alt account so u can practice in peace without wasting anyone time. I play on PS5 but use my pc or nintendo switch when i wanna practice. The first thing you need to practice running around loops without bumping into things, next hugging loops, next best place to stand at a loops for check spots. Don't try to work out pallet spawns just put on windows of opportunity for now. The most important thing is to familiarize yourself with main buildings. If you learn how to run these places you would legit be safe most of time u near them.

• himheart
    himheart Member Posts: 112

It's 60 seconds per survivor. It is still pretty small though.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 792

Well it's just something I suggested because I firstly played it feels like 2k hours of killer before even touching survivor and I can say that I'm pretty okay for almost no playtime in that role. It's just nice to know both what spefic killers can do and what survivors can do about that.

• Speckled_unicorn
    Speckled_unicorn Member Posts: 16

There is a practice mechanic, for one (unless they took it away)

But also, you can't get better at the game if you just give up. A lot of those YouTube channels you watch have been playing for YEARS. I also solo queue, but I've been playing since the game came out, and I can escape more often than not. Still can't get a good loop going, tho.

The moralof my story? Don't give up. Continue playing. Also remember it's just a game.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 457

OP - as others have already said, I think your expectations are way too high for the amount of experience you have in the game. Don't expect to be as the YouTube streamers - playing DbD is literally all they do all day long. Unless you're doing the same, you're not going to be as good as them. You probably have a life and non-gaming-related responsibilities most of us in the real world :)

I can sympathize with you as I don't have much free time to play either with full time job and young kids at home that are always busy with activities. I've been playing for about 6 years now and only have about 2,000 hours in the game (so again, I'm not playing hours and hours every single day). I'm an OK looper now but nowhere near many of the survivors I go up against when I play killer. It has taken me 6 years to be an OK looper. With the frequency at which you're playing the game, you should probably expect about the same. If you're not willing to tough it out in the meantime, it would be totally understandable as it really does take a big commitment to get good at this game. Pretty much any other game out there is going to be less frustrating as a new player.

It also sounds like you're getting matched against killers that are way above your skill level, which unfortunately is a problem that is never going to be fixed. The devs have made the decision to prioritize queue times over matchmaking accuracy and also will throw you into high MMR groups if there is a backfill need when someone leaves a lobby. The result is a matchmaking system that might as well not exist because it effectively does not function at all. This is the biggest reason why solo queue experience can often be miserable.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,154
    edited October 3

I also play solo queue but I'm not good enough to run a killer. It good tht you decided to not play TBH. The game has issues especially with the so many items/characters. If you returned them I'll see you again.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,323

so instead of practicing you are giving up?

well the games not for everyone but i hope you find some other game to be fun

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,503

They need a jungle gym mode or something in customs. Just a map with all the different tiles in it for survivors to practice loops

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 2,061

That sound actually great and im down for any version of a practice mode.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,268

Survivor is very difficult to get into without a friend group you help you out, who can make defensive plays for you and explain what is happening in real time.

The best way to learn as a solo player IS by playing Killer, and while you may not want to play killer, you should if you want to be good at Survivor some day.

But there really should be more of a training mode or single player campaign for just this sort of thing. I've said before that they should build a limited but repeatable single player campaign that walks you through different trials.

You start with the Trial of the Trapper, and play through up to 5 games on MacMillan maps where the Trapper bot gradually acquires their own perks plus a couple of different generic perks. Then move on to Trial of the Wraith on Autohaven, Trial of the Hillbilly on Coldwind, Trial of the Huntress on Mother's Dwelling, and Trial of the Nurse on Crotus Prenn. All of these killers now have AI thanks to 2v8.

That's up to 25 unique training mode games, that could award you a fixed amount of BP, say 20K each the first time round then 10K for each repeat. That would allow survivors as much time as they want to learn the basics, not just a single 30 minute tutorial that we currently have.

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 662
    edited October 3

Unfortunately, this is DBD's biggest problem besides map design.. It isn't as easy to play as it should be for both sides. Great games are easy to learn but hard to master. DBD on the other hand is hard to even learn AND almost impossible to master thanks to the amount of "anything goes RNG" there is in the game. If DBD was setup with more limitations per side and much more structure from the ground up, it wouldn't have these problems. I rarely post here anymore due to all the double standards I see here, but I commend you for uninstalling. Just forget about DBD.

Without licenses this game would've been buried years ago. The licenses are DBD's life support and those licenses will be what it is remembered for when it finally dies. Not the bad map design, not the awful spaghetti code that is still yet to be fixed or rewritten, not the completely 1 sided solo Q mode, not the SWF's dominating "baby killers" due to 0 thought being put into the advantages of voice chat, not the oversized amount of perks that all do the same thing where 85% of them are not even used anyway and are just there to make it seem like the game has so many options, and especially not the janky feel that this game has had since inception. DBD feels and looks like it was made in 2016, because…oh wait..it was.. :/

As the person said above me, the chance of DBD acquiring new people is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. A new license will bring them in…sure, but KEEPING those players just won't happen. The game play is shallow and repetitive and at the end of the day that's what it all comes back to..the game play. Farewell my friend. You are better off without this in your life. Trust me.

• A_T_E
    A_T_E Member Posts: 112

"over"analysing.

No, I think it was entirely necessary and not over the top, but you're free to have your opinion.

Calling someone a liar

I didn't make it a statement, but an option after analysis, to which my own reflection didn't support in the end. Did you even completely read my reply?

I did give some constructive criticism, to which even OP replied himself and gave thanks for the advice, so clearly OP doesn't agree with your idea of it being "way over the top".

Cheers.

• Ilikechips
    Ilikechips Member Posts: 131

I am glad you came to your senses early. There is no point investing time into soloq survivor. Soloq is the lowest rung of concerns for the devs.

Even the dev here is asking you to play killer instead.

Play something else, this game is not balanced for soloq play.

• ImWinston
    ImWinston Member Posts: 225
    • DBD should learn from Fortnite. when you are a new player, Fortnite does not match you with real players, but automatically matches you with Bots.After a "short" period of training (unconscious training), Fortnite begins to match you with real players. DBD Devs don't understand that this game is extremely difficult for new players. from this point of view there is a lot of care for killers (training mode), Survs don't have any kind of help

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 876
    edited October 7

I think sneaking around and being stealthy but active is the best strategy for players starting out. Unfortunately, you won't see many of the top streamers using stealth and some of them actively disparage the play style. That said, stealthing around like a ninja is only going to become more of a challenge to pull off now that Distortion is getting nerfed in the next patch (unnecessarily so, imho).

When I started playing, the majority of my fun came from the terror of hiding from a big scary monster. But if that's not there for you, I can see how DBD would be a very frustrating experience starting out. As others have said, I'd suggest trying out Killer if you haven't already. If nothing else, it will definitely help you to explore the maps, learn pallet spawns, experience what Killers can and can't see, what loops are safe or not so safe etc (although playing Killer comes with it's own set of frustrations as you'll no doubt find out).

• Xxjwaynexx
    Xxjwaynexx Member Posts: 317

This would actually be amazing, they wouldn't even have to know that they weren't going against real people, there would be no direct tunneling, no BM etc they would just be able to learn the basics in a non off putting environment.

• joel84
    joel84 Member Posts: 248

I can only agree with that. But I still don't believe the person who created this thread. I believe this is a bait post and Solo Q has been used as an excuse for many things lately. Whether it's the opinion of well known streamers on other platforms or here on the forum.

Booooo 🍅🍅 Boooooooo🍅 many will now think and throw tomatoes at me. But it's the truth. BHVR tracks everything, and when I say everything, I mean everything. Solo Q is not as bad as many people claim