I hate moris

smurf
smurf Member Posts: 10
edited October 9 in General Discussions

I guess it's probably an uncommon thing around here, but I hate moris. In movies, gore is there to show how horrifying the scenario is, and I like that.

Ending a match with gore doesn't serve a purpose except to show someone getting murdered. That's disgusting to me. I know a lot of people like watching moris, but I'd like to be able to disable the animation from the survivor side. Like an option to just end the match for the survivor instead of watching.

Want to emphasize that I'm not going to judge anyone or say moris aren't popular. I just find them awful and will probably only play killer unless the update is reversed or I can choose not to watch them. I also only play killer about 30% of the time, and might just lose interest in the game if I'm not playing survivor.

Anyway, just wanted to sign up here and make sure BHVR knows there's a (presumably small?) minority of people who have this opinion.

Edit: grammar :\

Post edited by smurf on

Comments

• smurf

lol

If I did like moris, I'd say ghostface's would be pretty awesome! But you know, frownyface…

• GhostsCore
    GhostsCore Member Posts: 22

Pyramid head, sadako, vecna all have power specific moris. Twins has 2 (victor and no Victor)

• smurf

Ghostface is fun! And I think his mori is funny :) But I also don't like watching it (as I'm the op who didn't like moris).

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,505

Would be cool with an option to skip the mori animation for survivors. Sacrifice animation too.

• smurf

I don't mind gore in horror when it serves a purpose, like if I'm watching a movie where people get flayed (e.g. TCM) I'm fine with it because it highlights the horror of the situation. But I don't feel like mori animations in DBD serve a similar purpose. So then moris just show a murder happening, which doesn't really feel good for me.

It's less about being the subject of the horror, more about the gore itself. You nailed the core of it though. I don't like moris at any time. But with the update, moris can be expected to happen in a large fraction of games.

In the past, I'd just disconnect during them or swipe my screen away. Now I'd expect to have to do it very often. Skipping all mori animations would work for me. Seems like it shouldn't be hard to implement, but who knows with the spaghetti code. Still, depends on if there's enough people like me for BHVR to want to do it :)

• A_T_E
    A_T_E Member Posts: 109

Swipe my screen away

I mean, that's one solution right there. Tab out, no? Just tab out, count to 10 or whatever, then come back and you're good.

• buggybug
    buggybug Member Posts: 83

I do too only weskers and tricksters my fav killers I do not mind it. Any other killer I see bring one I make sure they don't get to use it. They usually always tunnel for it too legions and ghost faces being the makor culprit.

• A_T_E
    A_T_E Member Posts: 109

Yeah, Wraith as an example just hacks away at the base of the Victim's spine for a few seconds. Could really use a rework.

I really like Clown's Mori, because of the crunchy crack of the skull when he stomps on it, but then the actual visual mutilation of the finger (the finger remains removed, even after Mori), with him suckling it. Really grotesque, and right in line with what I'd expect from an M-rated game.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,868

Only reason I dislike them is I find there is a tendency for many killers to go out of their way to hard tunnel that second hook to get that mori. I would prefer to dodge if possible…

• smurf
    edited October 9

I definitely didn't suggest that BHVR dedicate time to something because I personally find it a certain way. Just wanted to point out that adding gore that doesn't serve an in-game purpose might not be great for everyone who enjoys the game, and if there were more people who feel that way, BHVR might care about it.

The suggestion isn't unreasonable. Thanks for the feedback though! ! As I said initially, I recognize I'm almost definitely in a minority of players :D

Post edited by smurf on
  • Gunshow
    Gunshow Member Posts: 18

Absolutely! Clown's Mori is always up there with some of my favourites, just for how on brand it is.

Trapper and Wraith both suffer from the problem of being the earliest killers with the most basic and bland Mori's (Save for Trapper's Naughty Bear visceral cosmetic which has an awesome Mori)

Pig's is very disappointing and short also. Doesn't have any real character or flair, just a simple stab/slash and calls it a day

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,622

Okay but what about having “Friendship” Moris just like the Friendship fatalities? 😂

• Bloodraven
    Bloodraven Member Posts: 59

You know, that would be hilarious, i'd be down for it 😂

• Gunshow

Funnily enough, I'm all for that haha

Why not give the killer 2 options Kill/Spare, each with a unique animation

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,066
    edited October 9

The psychology of this argument seems a little strange to me.... Isn't the whole point of horror to cause fear and repulsion?

Horror isn't a pleasant experience by its very definition, its intent is to disturb and repulse you into fearing for your life... a natural mechanism so you can stay alive. Animals are repulsed by sight and smell of the blood and guts of their own species because that represents danger and potential death... in real life these things tend to trigger either a fight or flight response, or a disgust/repulse response to aid your survival... I would argue you being disgusted by them is kinda the entire point of the horror experience...

So why do we like horror? Well human beings are intelligent and inquisitive, it's what allows us to discover, learn and grow. Being horrified is an interesting experience that is unique to you... you learn about yourself and your own fears through horror stories and media (duch as campfire stories), an experience that no one else can experience for you...

I used to find Predator really disturbing and repulsive, and I even had to take regular breaks when I watched it the first time 21 years ago... now that's almost laughable to me given where I am now with horror, and my knowledge of my personal fears is now far more refined and well understood...

My point is... why are you trying to limit the horror experience for yourself? Surely the whole point of horror is to explore and build upon your own limitations of fear and repulsion?

If you don't want to do that, that's fine... but it seems strange to play a game all about pain, suffering and murder and then complain you are repulsed by people being murdered... that's like going to Nando's Chicken and complaining that you are replused they are serving dead chickens... 🤨

Regarding the go next argument... it's at most 10 seconds, and often shorter than being carried to hook and being sacrificed... what exactly is the point?

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,111

The in-game purpose is that the Killer player is augmenting their gameplay in a manner to achieve said Mori over just another Hook death.

It’s a carrot to chase.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,851

Very much agree. Most of them are cringe to the point of being immersion breaking and it's the same thing every time so it feels stale fast.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,111
    edited October 9

And from a thematic point, that repulsion you feel, and the inability to skip it, coupled with the tension/trepidation you have, of it possibly occurring later in the match to you, is metagame horror.

• Gunshow

Considering the alternative is the same hook animation for a third time that match - I think I'd welcome the change to a Mori

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,851
    edited October 9

Hooking does not have the same stylized, cinematic feel. It's just a thing that is done. If they had the same style of death animation on the last hook I would feel the same way about it. I'm already not thrilled about dying; it's only natural that I'm even less thrilled when copious amounts of cringe are injected into it.

Post edited by notstarboard on
  • BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 345

I'm not sure why you even play this game if you hate watching people get murdered. That's like, the core idea of the whole game?

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,188
    edited October 9

My theory is that OP detaches themself from movies but doesn't have the same level of detachment from video games, or at least not from their chosen avatar in DbD, so it feels more personal.

Given how so many players take everything that happens in DbD personally… it's not surprising, but neither is it something that should be acted upon. Then again, maybe if I felt like my avatar was a recreation of my soul rather than seeing it as a fiction created of pixels and polygons, I'd feel spiritually violated when a killer sticks their weapon into my guts. I dunno.

So why do we like horror? Well human beings are intelligent and inquisitive, it's what allows us to discover, learn and grow. Being horrified is an interesting experience that is unique to you... you learn about yourself and your own fears through horror stories and media (duch as campfire stories), an experience that no one else can experience for you...

I really enjoyed Martyrs (the original, I still haven't bothered to sit through the remake), the way it holds a mirror up to the audience and asks "Why do we watch horror?"

I used to find Predator really disturbing and repulsive, and I even had to take regular breaks when I watched it the first time 21 years ago

John Carpenter's The Thing is the movie that scared me the most when I saw it when I was young. It's still one of my favorite movies of all time. God I miss special effects like those, CGI is the death of viscerally effective visuals.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,066
    edited October 9

My theory is that OP detaches themself from movies but doesn't have the same level of detachment from video games, or at least not from their chosen avatar in DbD, so it feels more personal.

I suppose the main appeal of games is the ability to immerse yourself in a fantasy world you couldn't realistically explore in real life or via movies with your own agency... which is what makes games such a compelling media, and I guess one can't criticise someone for being more attached to that media...

Though it does also kinda bolster the argument that the game is successfully provided the horror experience it advertises... guess it's how's you look at it.

I really enjoyed Martyrs (the original, I still haven't bothered to sit through the remake), the way it holds a mirror up to the audience and asks "Why do we watch horror?"

Should I be ashamed of not having seen Martyrs? It appears I have done acquired late night movie-ing to do 😁

John Carpenter's The Thing is the movie that scared me the most when I saw it when I was young. It's still one of my favorite movies of all time. God I miss special effects like those, CGI is the death of viscerally effective visuals.

Yeeeaas, the Thing is awesome. It's not in my DVD collection and has been on my list for my next bulk buy of horror films 😁

Well done classic effects are timeless, and still hold up decades later because that was actually how they looked in real life... the Evil Dead Remake used practical effects whenever possible, and evening it did go Evil Dead silly at the end (I am ashamed for enjoying that fan service as a much as I did) that film looking incredible start to finish.

• smurf
    edited October 9

That's deep; I like the thinking!

You could be right that the video game avatar also seems like an extension of myself. That's my avatar being murdered. But in movies, it's the character being killed.

But having said that, I don't like movies where the closeup violence or gore seems to just be there for spectacle. And that's the thing that I really don't like about it. Ghostface's mori comes to mind.

He stabs the person multiple times, then picks the victim up as their blood pours out through their mouth and takes a selfie with their dying body. That's not something I'd just pop open on youtube and watch repeatedly, but I'd watch a movie where that happens if the point is to see the tension where the characters have to escape that sort of thing. But watching it happen as I'm exiting a match seems less meaningful to see.

Anyway, well thought out! Big brain and stuff!

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,188

I suppose the main appeal of games is the ability to immerse yourself in a fantasy world you couldn't realistically explore in real life or via movies with your own agency... which is what makes games such a compelling media, and I guess one can't criticise someone for being more attached to that media...

Certainly, I love immersing and exploring the world and participating in the story. Games provide a unique method of interacting with world building that no other media can provide, and I love it.

Though it does also kinda bolster the argument that the game is successfully provided the horror experience it advertises... guess it's how's you look at it.

Personally, I stopped thinking DbD was a horror game pretty quickly upon playing it. Everyone will have a different opinion on that, but most things lose the horror experience with repetition and in DbD it takes a ridiculous number of hours to become semi-competent. I see it as a game of tag in a horror-ish costume.

DbD is also different from most horror games by being PvP. There's no story in the interaction between killer and survivor (and good horror needs story), so players apply other motivation to their opponent's behavior. Some people keep it in the perspective of, "It's just a game," but others see it as personal: tunneling is personally singling them out, a mori is overkill when the killer has already won, that kind of thing. If players could always remember games are just games and not to be taken seriously, there would be less friction in this community.

Should I be ashamed of not having seen Martyrs? It appears I have done acquired late night movie-ing to do 😁

Lol not shameful at all. It's foreign and something you have to look for rather than something you might stumble across. A decade or so ago, I had to get my copy on eBay and triple check it was the unrated version.

Well done classic effects are timeless, and still hold up decades later

Absolutely. RoboCop (1987), oh man, good stuff. Meanwhile, modern movies even use CGI blood instead of squibs. I'm always disappointed when I see CGI blood. It distracts me and takes me out of the movie.

You could be right that the video game avatar also seems like an extension of myself. That's my avatar being murdered.

Yeah, I've noticed people put a lot of themselves into their characters/avatars. In return, they also want characters to be more like them. People want characters to officially have the same look, the same personality. Then the negative of that is they take anything that happens to that character personally. It may feel like a more personal victory when they win, but it feels like an offensive personal attack when they lose. Double-edged sword. I don't think players realize this is what's happening, but you can see it in their reactions to practically everything.

I don't like movies where the closeup violence or gore seems to just be there for spectacle. And that's the thing that I really don't like about it. Ghostface's mori comes to mind.

I like all kinds of horror in general, but I'm a big fan of body horror. Like John Carpenter's The Thing, zombie movies, and infection-type movies like Splinter (2008). I love certain types of violence and gore, the good stuff has a real artistry to it.

Comparatively speaking, Ghostface's mori doesn't strike me as particularly violent or gory. Not in the wide spectrum of horror, anyway. It fits the personality BHVR wrote for him. Many survivors treat it as humorous and photobomb the mori if given the chance, which I think is a good way to treat it, as it is just a game.

Maybe my viewpoint is different from most. The only kill in a slasher movie I remember having any sort of effect on me is the Friday the 13th remake, the sleeping bag death. It makes me uneasy in a way watching someone get stabbed doesn't. If you've seen one slasher movie stabbing, you've seen them all.

watching it happen as I'm exiting a match seems less meaningful to see.

I'd say that in any PvP game with no actionable story, there's not much meaning to most things. I wouldn't really assign a meaning to Fatalities in Mortal Kombat other than as a visual spectacle. Players find it fun to watch. Does the person on the receiving end still find it enjoyable to get brutally torn apart for the millionth time when they put endless hours into the game? I really don't know. But in my mind, DbD's mori animation is basically the same thing. It's a finishing move done in a style that fits the game's genre/style. Dying on a hook is visually very boring, and turning into smoke is not only a tame but also quite uninteresting way to die in any mature piece of horror.

• smurf
    edited October 10

These are all fair thoughts :) And I think you're right about the horror thing. What's scary about running around a table for a while and then doing it again around a shelf? Actually, another unpopular opinion of mine is that I really liked lights out for that reason. It felt like horror a bit and escaping matches felt like the survival experience I thought the game would be when I bought it.

I know personally, I play the game as an escape, so I can forget stress (somewhat ironically) for a while. And having a character I picked out helps with that immersion. Also the DBD community is kind of great! If this were other gaming communities, I'd expect to get told to uninstall the game and go cry and play Stardew or something. People will say DBD is toxic, but my egc tends to be awesome and positive!

You're definitely right that in the scheme of modern media, moris are relatively tame. Even GoT was way bloodier. I guess for me when the match is ending for the player, there's no further possibility of horror in it, so watching the character get murdered seems like gratuitous violence I'm stuck having play out in the game, even if I can tab away from it.

Who knows though? Maybe I can convince myself to just swipe to a new desktop when it happens and start playing survivor again.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your viewpoints!