We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

What do you think the Freddy rework will be?

GeneralV
GeneralV Member Posts: 10,793

So, a thread made by fellow Forum member @ArkInk featured a recently conducted Slasher Radio interview with Mathieu Cote, and towards the end of video Cote is asked about the Freddy rework.

Here it is, the moment they talk about Freddy can be found at 56:38

And well… as Cote himself said, it is indeed a generic response.

I can understand how talking about gameplay changes like this in general is "delicate". However, Freddy has such a low pick rate and has been neglected for so long that announcing the direction the rework will go shouldn't really have any negative repercussions.

As I've said on Arklnk's thread, I really wish I could ask someone at BHVR the question: "Do you think Forum user GeneralV will like the upcoming Freddy rework?". Because a simple "yes" or "no" would tell us A LOT. But unfortunately, that is not possible.

I think this is the fifth time, if I am not mistaken, that Freddy's upcoming rework is officially mentioned but no further information is given, and the anticipation really makes you come up with countless scenarios. So I would like to know what do YOU think they will do to Freddy?

How do you think they'll change my favorite killer this time?

Comments

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 684
    edited October 13

I don't think the right design for Freddy lies with any of his previous iterations honestly. Frankly speaking, they all had a varying number of complex issues that made them utterly hated when they encompassed his skillset, for good reason in my opinion.

Although aspects of them could be brought back for the new rework, my biggest wish would be that the devs treat this more like designing a modern killer power from the ground up than reworking an old killer.

If there's any member of the classic cast deserving of having 3-4 abilities like Drac and Vecna, it'd be Freddy. Here's to hoping he's early on the map for 2025

Post edited by ArkInk on
  • Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715

I wasn't around when Freddy was reworked into what we know now, so I'm not quite sure.

On one hand what he said about hoping that more people will like the rework than people hate the rework gives me hope that they will indeed go back to the roots because this has been a pretty common request on the forums. So a lot of people would probably like that.

On the other hand, there was a reason they reworked Freddy at the time. Now, whether that was a good or bad reason, I will not judge. So there is a chance that they will go into a different direction altogether.

What I hope for is that they will give us a more modernised version of pre rework Freddy. The idea that you have to pull survivors into the dream world manually is nice but of course this also came with problems at the time that can mostly be fixed with the implementation of the incapacitated status effect. However, I also like his teleport and the idea that you are rewarded for pressuring the entire team (even though it doesn't really work that way currently).

As far as I know, old Freddy had literally nothing in chase though. I don't think this holds up very well in modern day DBD. So he would need at least some kind of chase ability. Out of the 37 killers in this game literally every single one has something in chase.

The idea of survivors waking themselves up by failing skill checks never sat right with me either and if you have to pull people into the dream world manually, then this might not be a great idea. On the other hand, the alarm clocks couldn't grant you immunity to sleep anymore, so this could maybe end up a bit too oppressive.

Either way, it can't get much worse than what we have now. Even if they tried to nerf him again, it would be kind of hard to find something that would actually affect him still. His addons are terrible, his power is controlled by the survivors and he counters himself most of the time.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 684
    edited October 13

I disagree. His skillset amounted to being an M1 Killer with wall hacks, and dream transitions having a 9-3 second delay between when you'd make survivors start falling asleep and when you could attack them felt awful. Cap all this off with OG Freddy's most viable strategy being forever Freddy, and that anything that gave skill checks hard countered him to the point Self Care made him D tier alone, yeah, it was rough.

As someone who was there at the time, you are right that players weren't willing to give OG Freddy a shot, but that was because it could make the very act of chasing survivors a nightmare imo

I think it'd be neat if they brought back certain aspects of the design (Freddy being invisible in the real world, the og dream world filter had great atmosphere), but overall? V1 Freddy to me is like V2 Skull Merchant, a bad design utterly overshadowed by the lunacy that followed. That's just my opinion though, I don't wanna make anyone feel bad for the Freddy playstyle they enjoy.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,353

I only want whatever you want to be implemented. I don’t main him (Daddy Myers has my heart) so I don’t have any opinion on what a good rework would be for him. I just want you to be happy with your main.

• Choaron
    Choaron Member Posts: 333

Just polish/improve the current one.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,154

Cause people didn't know how to actually played him. I get the frustration with the waiting 7 sec. He was more of a end game killer considering his perks. He was designed to waste time in my opinion.

• CLHL
    CLHL Member Posts: 164

He will be able to use blood pools and dream snare at once and they will call it a day.

• Gardhome
    Gardhome Member Posts: 61

Bring back Forever Freddy

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,825

Given the recent track record of Reworks, I only have one word for how I think the Freddy rework will go, and that word is "Badly". I wish I could be more optimistic but after watching Trickster, Twins, and SM get completely steamrolled during their reworks I simply do not have any faith in Freddy getting his dues

Now, if BHVR manages to surprise me and either give him a Knight-style touch up or, even better, a Doctor-style upgrade that makes him both fun and interesting, I am entirely happy to say I was wrong, but until it actually arrives, I'm remaining cynical, as much as it sucks to be so

• GeneralV

Good to see ya here, friend. And no one can blame you for not having hope for Freddy, there is always a chance his upcoming rework will be just as terrible as his first one.

I just hope it isn't.

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 1,021
    edited October 13

I hope they bring back old Freddy like he worked,give him the generator teleport, which would then automatically pull survivors near by into the dream world and I want the dream pallets to be somehow part of his kit.

I expect them to either make him too strong on the ptb and panic nerf him, so he needs another rework or he will be good. What I can’t imagine is whether or not they will give him a new power or a mix between his old and current version. On the other hand I have not that much hope in behavior when it comes to reworks since I did not like any of the map rework and on the killer reworks it was a 50:50

Post edited by Langweilg on
  • Royval
    Royval Member Posts: 634

2017 Freddy was so unique.

• Bookern
    Bookern Member Posts: 319

i want the original Aura freddy back but keep the teleport. However i would not hate if the made him a power wheel killer like Vecna and he can switch between Snares, Aura reading while in dream world and Dream pallets also has Teleport btw

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,797

Freddy needs to be much more dangerous within the dream world imo. Long ago it taking 7-9 seconds to even put survs into there never felt right either.

I can see an ability to transport to darkened shadows around the map. Hopefully not just a Gumby-like claw arm attack, but fluid whole Freddy attacks from such spots.

There's so much that can be drawn from the various movies, depending on how the licenses are worded. Another mentioned messing around with a Boiler Room setting, perhaps like the portal-ish areas some events have used.

My supreme wish is that whatever they do for Freddy, it is something our beloved friend GeneralV can be proud of and enjoy.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,703

They'll probably let you swap between snares and pallets on fly, add some slow down add-ons with reduced percentages, and call it a day.

• GeneralV

The only flawless killer in DBD's history, imo.

My supreme wish is that whatever they do for Freddy, it is something our beloved friend GeneralV can be proud of and enjoy.

Thank you, my dear friend, I appreciate it <3

If I get my beloved killer back it will probably be my happiest moment in Dead by Daylight ever since I first started playing the game.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,923

I honestly have no idea what its going to turn out like. With the track record of reworks it could go either way. It could be a W like Billy's or a complete L like Twins.

I am hoping that they have learned from past mistakes. They know how anticipated a Freddy rework is. So they are putting 110% love into it. For goodness sake listen to PTB feedback. Same goes for Mikey's "bundle of tweaks" you all have planned.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,668

It’s hard to gauge. Bhvr may not even be able to do an actual rework if it is outside the parameters of Freddy’s contract. If it’s hard to contact the license holders or get them to budge then maybe it will be a more modest rework.

• GeneralV

For goodness sake listen to PTB feedback.

This.

I am already prepared in advance to write a massive feedback post if needed. Whenever the PTB drops, I will try to play it as much as I can and give the devs the best feedback possible.