A While Ago, I Posted About Clementine Hopefully Being A Survivor, Then I Saw Reddit

Options
NightmareReborn
NightmareReborn Member Posts: 810
edited April 2019 in General Discussions

TL;DR below and sorry for any formatting errors (I’m typing this on mobile).

First off, I don’t want to come off as a begger/entitled kid, but instead I want to share some things I’ve seen over the past week or so regarding one of my older posts. So here’s the story:

After I created my forum post asking if people wanted to see Clementine as a survivor, I made a similar post on the TWD reddit page asking the same thing. The forum post had many people say yes and some say no, while the reddit post got about 30 upvotes. Nothing too special. I thought after both of those threads died, that was it, but boy was I wrong.

Yesterday morning, I got on reddit to do the usual, but I found something really surprising. There was a post saying that Clementine should be a survivor in the game, and it had 600 upvotes in less than a day. I had no idea that this many people wanted a character so much.

Much later, I checked reddit again, and another post pops up saying the exact same thing. This post managed to get over 500 upvotes in 18 hours. This really shocked me. I had seen more posts requesting Clementine in 24 hours than I’ve seen people request pinhead at all! However, it doesn’t end there. One of the posts made its way to the TWD Reddit page, and that gained 100 upvotes in 12 hours!

I don’t know if the devs browse the Reddit page at all, so I just wanted to post this “experience” here to speak on the behalf of reddit and say this: Behavior, if you ever plan to do an “Operation Health” update (fixing bugs and glitches) and need another solo survivor to release, most of the community would be more than pleased to see a TWD chapter come to the game.

Yet again, I don’t want to come off as greedy or entitled here, I just wanted the DbD Reddit to get their opinions heard.

TL;DR: Over the course of 24 hours, 3 reddit posts came up claiming that Clementine should be a survivor in DbD, gaining a collective total of 1.4K upvotes as of now.

Comments

• haleyoptile
    haleyoptile Member Posts: 2
    Options

Yesss I would love to see her as a survivor in the game! Please Behavior get on thisss, I've never wished for anyone to be added to the game other than her. She would fit so well. I would never stop playing if she got added ❤❤❤

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Series just ended makes sense that a ton of people want her I would like her to be in DBD but we don't always get what we want and I doubt it will happen sadly.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,003
    Options

Honestly I do not mind Clem being a survivor

• NightmareReborn
    Options

Woah, people actually saw this post.

ONCE AGAIN, I DON'T WANT TO BE SEEN AS SELFISH HERE. I just thought it would be beneficial for both companies.

• NightmareReborn
    Options
  • Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    Options

I think cost might be an issue. You do realize that The Walking Dead is a rather expensive license, right?

• NightmareReborn
    Options

Yeah, but if Tekken 7 can get Negan, then getting Clementine in DbD isn't impossible.

• Kilmeran
    Options

@NightmareReborn I don't think Behavior has the same resources or budget as Bandai Namco Entertainment. That would be like saying: Hey, Activision-Blizzard did it, so Behavior should, too.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

Yeah it's a huge IP, so it would be expensive to get. I'd buy her, though ^_^

• NightmareReborn
    Options

Fair enough.

I'm pretty sure BHVR has got their budgeting on track, so if the licensing is too much for them, then they don't have to buy it. It's ultimately the two companies decision on whether or not they want to commit to it.

• Coriander
    Options

How about a "Tangerine" look-alike instead? :3

• NightmareReborn
    edited April 2019
    Options
  • Agostino
    Agostino Member Posts: 2
    Options

I'd pay more than the typical amount just to buy Clementine.

• Theluckyboi
    Theluckyboi Member Posts: 1,113
    Options

Who would pay the license tho? besides, i am not disposed to pay the auric cells i dont have for her

• Kilmeran
    edited April 2019
    Options

@Theluckyboi, Not only the cost of a The Walking Dead license being high (I know this from personal experience), but considering the fact that neither of the last two DLCs, one of which was for Evil Dead, saw a jump in player numbers at all, I doubt Behavior would be interested in any high-priced licenses at this stage. It just doesn't read as a good investment when, if DLCs aren't spiking player numbers, it likely also means they aren't being purchased in the same volume as previous DLCs, either.

I mean hell, so far a free-weekend isn't seeing a jump in player numbers for PC. It's barely registering as a blip. Whereas previous free-weekends often times doubled existing numbers just on PC.

• NightmareReborn
    edited April 2019
    Options

I'm going to be completely honest here: I had NO clue who Ash was before DbD.

I just feel like Ash isn't as well known as the big ones such as Freddy Krueger or Michael Myers, and I'm almost certain that'd be the reason there was no significant player increase this time around (unless I'm just clueless and he's like a major horror icon). Well that, and player numbers typically shrink about this time of the year anyway.

Also, what in the entity's name would you need the TWD license for?

• Kilmeran
    edited April 2019
    Options

@NightmareReborn, Oh, when I was in table-top RPGs, I was well-known for a zombie apocalypse adventure series. The damned thing still sells till this day, and I ended it nearly seven years ago.

Anyway, I was approached by another publisher who wanted to obtain a TWD license and asked me to assist, since I also had experience in licensed work and negotiations in the past.

Long story short (besides me wondering why in the hell they would want to license TWD in the first place when they could just create their own original zombie game), the license was very high-priced and they couldn't afford it. But I already knew going in that that was going to be the end result. I still got paid for my time, though, so no skin off of me.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552
    Options

That would be great honestly.

When it comes to killers, there are many choices with iconic characters.

When it comes to survivors, there aren't many well known survivors, at least I don't know if there is any.

Clementine is the only survivor that I remember without looking at my games. There might be others but when it comes to gaming industry, I don't remember the other choices we have.

TWD has its playerbase already, investing in Clementine would be a cool choice BUT NOT NOW.

What they should do is to find solutions for game's problems and fix bugs, and after that they can work on different licensed characters and bring them to the DbD.

If they bring any licensed character to DbD right now, the people who came with those licenses will meet with our infinite loading screen, 3 man games etc.

• ShirtlessDwight
    ShirtlessDwight Member Posts: 190
    Options

What even is TWD? oO

• Coriander
    Options

Yeah some of the licensed survivors are from movies, but not the ones you would have wanted, save for Laurie. Imagine if, instead of her, it was her babysitter friend or something. You'd be like "Who's this?" And what's that guy from Freddy? Oh yeah, no one remembered him (they couldn't get the main girl's license).

For me, Ash isn't from his new series. He's from the trilogy of amazing that he put out years ago. They're seriously classic movies. Also he was in Darkman.

How about (and I know these have been mentioned before) Sydney and Ghost Face from Scream? Ripley from Alien? MacReady from The Thing? Sarah Connor and The Terminator? Even if they killers themselves don't fit, maybe some of the survivors would. We're still waiting for Pumpkinhead. I still think it's such a great fit for this game, and as a lesser-known series it shouldn't break the bank.

• Kilmeran
    Options

@ShirtlessDwight, TWD is the generally used shorthand for The Walking Dead. It's even used by Robert Kirkman, himself.

• NightmareReborn
    Options

I can definitely foresee the frustration with all of the bugs and DCs, so here's what I was thinking:

We're approaching the release of dedicated servers awfully fast, so once they arrive, that would be the opportune time to fix the bugs, issues, DC's, etc.

During this time (maybe somewhere in the May - August range), they would release Clementine as a paragraph chapter, just like Ash. This way, we could get proper game optimization while still having some interesting content to tide us over until the next full chapter release.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

That would probably be another paragraph btw, since licensed Survivors usually come with a Killer of the same IP.

And devs don't want regular zombies.

Then again, they also said they never wanted clowns...

Then again AGAIN, it could be just a regular bad guy from the series...

• NightmareReborn
    Options

There are a few options when it comes to killers (that aren't just regular zombies anyway).

I think the most popular one I've seen suggested is Minnie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qfUKp7qPKE&t=96

• NightmareReborn
    Options

Same. This would probably help due to the price of the license lol.

• Luckystrike2778
    Luckystrike2778 Member Posts: 63
    Options

I suggested a whisperer which would explain faster than zombie movement and intelligence and limitless c cosmetics.

• Walker_of_the_fog_96
    Walker_of_the_fog_96 Member Posts: 1,238
    Options

this is like when you think something would look good but it only works in your mind

I do not repudiate clem but I think it would not be inside the game  

• Acesthetiic
    Acesthetiic Member Posts: 1,077
    Options

Wouldn't Lee make more sense?

• NightmareReborn
    Options

From a lore perspective, yes.

However, I've seen more support for Clementine than Lee. I'm not exactly sure on why, but my guess is because of how much more apparent she is in the TWD games.

Lee is the main protagonist of season 1, but after that, he only appears every once and a while.

Clementine however, has been atleast a semi-major character throughout the entire series. The whole story arc of the games are based around her, so that's most likely why people prefer her over Lee. However, Lee wouldn't be a BAD choice, but Clementine would be slightly better.

• Jonathanskilz
    Jonathanskilz Member Posts: 403
    Options

Actuelly Yeeeeeet

• NightmareReborn
    Options
  • NightmareReborn
    edited April 2019
    Options

(Repost sorry)

• Saint_Ukraine
    Saint_Ukraine Member Posts: 942
    Options

She definitely wouldn't look the same, seeing as Behaviour and Telltale have very different art styles.

• Saint_Ukraine
    Saint_Ukraine Member Posts: 942
    Options

@Coriander

Yeah, I would have preferred Nancy from the OG Nightmare on Elm St. rather than Quentin from the 2010 reboot.

• Coriander
    Options

Right?! They said they couldn't get her, the original actress, but I think her character appeared in the remake which our Freddy was based on, so I wanted that at least. I mean imagine getting Scream but instead of Sydney it's Dewey >_<

• Tru3Lemon
    Tru3Lemon Member Posts: 1,358
    Options

ill probably say this but she wont come since shes like a license created by the walking dead game but maybe she could but i dont think so the more sense that could be in this game its lee or kenny

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I would not be against Clementine, but she strikes me as more of a "paragraph update" character rather than "full-on Chapter update with a complementary Killer" character, and I would not want to see another Survivor paragraph before a Killer paragraph.

• NightmareReborn
    Options

If she was going to be added as a solo survivor, I would like to see her during a period of bug fixes. This way, we could fix the game while still adding interesting content to carry us over to the next full chapter. Solo survivors are way easier to develop than solo killers, so she could be easily developed whenever BVHR decides to fix the game.

OR

You could include a killer with her. There aren't too many options when it comes to TWD, but from what I've heard suggested, Minnie would make a GREAT killer. Minnie is a half-human, half-zombie, psychopathic killer that wants to protect her brother at all costs. I feel like she would feel similar to the huntress. Here's a video segment that shows you what she's like in TWD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qfUKp7qPKE&t=101

• NightmareReborn
    Options

Clementine uses a specific art style called "cel shading".

It's essentially an easy way that developers can make their characters look cartoony. Cell shades aren't applied directly to the texture, so they can be removed pretty easily. And when you remove them do, you get this: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheWalkingDeadGame/comments/9y3mh4/clem_without_celshading_or_dirt_on_her_face_sort/

• NightmareReborn
    Options

Idk if anyone still follows this thread, but I made this if anyone is interested. I just now finished it, so yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwRNJHWl70E

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131
    Options

Ok.