The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Piping system it's not fun to play with, both killers and survivors.

It's good that is harder to pip now but it may be a little too hard now, i'been stuck on rank 4 for ages now thanks to the new piping system, i escape most of the time doing what's only possible to do in most matches, 2 saves, 2 or 3 gens, escape and it's never enough to pip, either that or i barely safety pip and it's so easy to depip with killers that do nothing but camp/tunnel, even if you put up a good chase it doesn't matter. killers side it's a bit easier to pip but it's just a bit too hard now, just tone it down a bit.

Comments

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Do you get a reward from your mom for reaching rank 1 or is there another reason why you want rank 1 so badly?

Also, I still see other players managing to keep at rank 1 consistently, so maybe you need to simpyl git gud? :D

• Ash_Housewares
    Ash_Housewares Member Posts: 24

it's just not me man, and i don't crave to get to Rank 1 but it gets bad when you do your part in a match and get nothing at the end, it feels like you have to do a lot more to even safety pip, even more for players that play more stealthy.

• PunL
    PunL Member Posts: 136

@Master are you really bullshitting him beeing ambitious?

I dont like the new ranking system either, it forces me to play a way i don´t wanna play and ignores the fact that my way is suffice to get out.

Besides @Ash_Housewares be proud to be rank 4! I really thought i am good in this game, but atm im more like rank 8 and stuck...

• Ash_Housewares

Thanks! yeah, i have to follow the killer around and be obnoxious with him to pip, i'm just asking to the devs to just tone it down a bit, i wanted to be hard, but not that hard.

• xility
    xility Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2019

Exactly!!!!!!!!

Come rank reset in a week and everyone will realise how dead lobbies will actually be. Maybe the worst on record.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Yes, thats because ranking up has been piss easy before

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

I never cared about pip or rank. Only to draw blood and collect salt from survivors. This new system is great for what I look for: So many survivors whining in the chat because they did not get to pip or got a depip because I camped or tunneled them. Just gorgeous.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

Rank is just a number, the way I see it, closer you are to rank 1, the longer it takes to get into a game, I like rank 10, a little experience and challenge with average lobby times.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

Ideally your rank is not your reward, but rather to gauge your level of skill and match you with other people of your skill level. You should eventually hit the rank that you're comfortable in and then have a hard time ranking up past that. With that said, the emblem system is still being tweaked and adjusted and any odd edge cases should hopefully be ironed out.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Killer side is not easier to pip. We went from safety pip at 2k with 3-4 hooks to depip at 3k 3-5 hooks. We get massively punished if gens get rushed within the first 9mins of the game. We have to win a lot more chases and the punishment distance on camping was increased so now you can lose points if while chasing a survivor they won't get away from the hooked survivor's general area. We also have to hit a lot more for malicious emblem score, but now we also have to hit a lot more just to get people on the ground.

So now you need at least 3k with 6-7 hooks, and held at least 3 gens for the first 9mins to get a pip. The amount of hits you need I am less sure on, but then again I find the best solution for hits Legion. Iri devout is 9 hook 4k which means you have to hope that survivors will actually take their buddies off the hook. Some games they do and others they don't. Also right now we've got a rash of SWF groups who are leaving solo players to die on first hook which destroys killer score and survivor score. Then there are dcs. If a survivor dcs you're not getting a pip in most cases and safety pip is not even certain.

• Jesya
    Jesya Member Posts: 1,101

If this is the case.. this needs to be made more clear to the community. Many associate rank with rewards which is why there is some frustration with the ranking.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited April 2019

@Peanits While it may sound good on paper to some of the devs in reality it doesnt show your own skill, your rank can and will be determined by how the others play which mean the system itself is highly flawed.

If survivors are not that great and you down them quickly and they dont save surely you should be ranked up away from them, the same principle goes for survivors if the killer has a hard time finding people and hardly downs player surely they again should be set to a rank where they can.

The actual system does not reward or take into account players being matched up with a disparity in skill, it only rewards players making sure they give the others a chance which is very boring to some as they want a challenge, this scenario happened when the emblems first came about and showed making it harder to pip wasnt what the players actually wanted.

What the players wanted for the ranking system was to be matched with those of an equal skill lvl which the ranking system never has done, the current and last ranking system cant do that as the big problem if deranking was and is an issue and making it harder to rank up actually makes this easier to do.

Imo they should seperate how rank and matchmaking work.

Rank is then a monthly goal to achieve if one so wishes which can be changed to a lvl up of sorts instead.

Matchmaking then puts you into brackets, each one can see the userbase over two ranks, say something like starter, bronze, silver, gold, irri zones, it can then take into account many factors of how kills, escapes, time played, chase legth etc so the players can be LVL 15 or 1 but if they are skillful enough they will play together, this stops deranking and allows the game to seperate players a bit better.

• foxofthestars
    foxofthestars Member Posts: 157

Does anyone know if they have addressed or will address the issue about the sh*tty new system?

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

But in order to pip, you have to complete a bunch of actions that have nothing to do with skill.

The emblem system is not nearly complex enough to determine whether or not a player is skilled, so the idea that people will settle into their "true ranks" is fallacious.

Red ranks will be purely for the people who consistently farm the most emblem points, usually at the expense of their teammates because there isn't enough to go around.

It was fine the way it was.

• PiiFree
    PiiFree Member Posts: 1,154

It's clear to most Dead By Daylight player that the Emblem System (and therefore the whole ranking system) does not represent skill. It seems like the devs are the only people in this community that still believe Rank = Skill, which is quite a shocker.

We've had many discussions in this forum where people made their points as to why rank = skill is not the case. A rare moment when Survivors and Killers shared the same opinion: the ranking system is poorly designed and does not reward efficient & high skill but inefficient and illogical gameplay. Quantity over Quality, which seems to be a business philosophy BHVR loves to use. It doesn't matter if your actions made any sense as long as it allowed you to reach the required numbers to get the emblem. Outplay a Killer so no one ever gets hooked? Enjoy a depip. Outplayed the Survivors so everyone dies on first hook? Enjoy a depip!

• ShirtlessDwight
    ShirtlessDwight Member Posts: 190

So...I can be rank 15, bait baby killer to chase me, loop him for whole game, get downed with noed and die face camped and not pip. Just to que up, repeat everything and ruin another match due to my skills being not measured at all. That's far from ideal. I'd call it broken.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Why did we get rid of the victory cubes again?

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Even though I and others have said time and time again to deaf ears: RANKING ISNT A RANK. ITS TO BETTER MATCH PLAYERS. LESS 1V20S. ITS NOT COMPETETIVE.

• Carpemortum
    edited April 2019

You did nothing but run that match. Absolutely you should not expect to pip up. You did boldness. No altruism, no gens, no escape.

Why would you be rewarded for showing you can do 1/4 of the tasks efficiently?

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650

The system is pretty tough to be honest. As killer I feel like it's a bit too harsh. As survivor it feels that way too. Survivor is close to being just right I think. Killer is off by a bit more.

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2019

see, you say this, but by the time most players reach the rank they are comfortable in, you reset the ranks, making them play with a mix of skill levels again. Which isn't that fun when you are a rank 1 killer against middling rank survivors. Or vice versa.

To go with that, EVERY killer plays different. My ability to slaughter a 4 man swf at rank 1 with my Hag without perks and add-ons has almost nothing to do with my ability to give people hats as the Pig. So if rank was supposed to represent knowledge and skill, why then, are all my killers the same rank? Making it silly to play killers I'm not godlike with after a certain point.

edit: Most people see their rank as a kinda reward. And your monthly reset is based on a system that thinks that way. That's why ranks reset, to make you have to earn them again. And I don't know about you, but I think of things that I earn, as a reward.

• Carpemortum

Its not a hardcore ranking system. It's a pseudo mmr to BETTER match people than having an open lobby system.

It resets monthly, but rank 1s are dropped to 10. 10s to like 16. It's not hard to reclimb when EVERYONE resets. Plus you get different players than the same handful you may see at your stuck rank.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

I think a big issue is the fact that you lose Pips when the killer disconnects from a match. And at least on PS4, disconnections happen fairly often. Especially if you get one generator done before they even get a hit in. I also dislike the idea of competing with my fellow survivors in order to progress in rank. It really should be a team effort, and I understand some survivors will accelerate more than others but the prerequisites to pip are high the only one or two survivors per match can reach them. And that's if you're playing highly greedy and highly selfish.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

Current ranking system (even more so for survivors) is more dependent on luck than skill - there are so many variables I won't list them - but it goes from DCs on your team to what other survivors you draw in solo games.

So only the lucky ones get to advance is what devs are saying?

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899
    edited April 2019

But currently the killer can decide if you rank up or not. If you get chased the whole match, even if you escape you don't rank up. If the killer camps hooks then survivors won't get altruism or chaser thus they won't rank up. The best way currently to rank up is do gens and avoid chases, this way you can get 2 guaranteed iridescent emblems (Lightbringer, Unbroken) and try and get a few unhooks just enough to rank up.

Why should the deciding factor of ranking up rely on the most unskillful action of holding a button for 80 seconds?

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Three things...

1) Matchmaking puts me, a rank 3 survivor/rank 1 killer, against players of ALL ranks. I've had killer games against a full team of rank 15. I've had survivor games against rank 10 killers with rank 8-10 survivors. If rank is there to match you with similarly skilled players it's worthless because the matchmaking doesn't actually do that.

2) To some people rank is a reward. And when I play super well in a game and literally do everything because I have low rank survivors with me, only to get shafted at the end and NOT earn a pip by mere pixels, that is not a fun experience. I feel robbed. Then the other players rank up because their requirements are less strict and even though they barely did anything compared to me, they get the reward and I don't. If you want I can show you pictures of instances where I was literally single digit points away from the next tier emblem that would have given me a pip.

3) Pipping is all opportunity and luck based, not skill based. At red ranks I need 3 iri/1 bronze, 2 iri/1 gold/1 silver, or 1 iri/3 gold emblems to pip. THAT IS INSANE. That means I need to do 3 gens solo, escape without getting caught once, escape 2 60 second chases, and make 3 safe rescues. Doing that is just not possible in the average game. It's almost like I have to farm with killers/other survivors to get that. If the killer camps just 1 person, I lose my only Benevolence and now no matter what I do I am locked out of a pip. It's lame and frustrating and not fun to deal with. If I safety pip or depip because I played bad, I'm fine with that. If it happens when I play EXCEPTIONALLY well, then I'm not fine with that.

• darktrix

Right, matchmaking does not work to even support this pip system now. I have seen so many games with a red ranked killer vs. green/yellow survivors. When I was playing, over half my games were like this.

If you are goal oriented you basically have three long term goals in this game available - blood points, shards, ranking up. I get plenty of blood points to the point I don't really need them, I play for shards yet there is often nothing in the store/shrine I want, that leaves ranking up. Feels like it's a rare online game these days where you are expected to play - with nothing to really show for it after.

• Bithard
    Bithard Member Posts: 406

The issue is the lower ranks are full of mix matched skill levels and the higher ranks are empty. At least before it was somewhat even.

• darktrix

I could definitely make it to solo survivor rank 1 with a lot of time and a lot of luck. But I simply don't see myself bothering every month to do so, especially if I am not getting paid for it. I already have a job.

• Ash_Housewares

I'm getting a feel for this new system and slowly finding new ways to pip, good to know that it's not final tho. thanks for answering