What IS Toxicity?

Options

I'm really confused. What the hell even IS toxicity? People use the word "Toxic" in Dead by Daylight ALL THE TIME, and quite frankly, it's getting annoying. Is looping toxic? Is dribbling toxic? Or are the post-game chats toxic? Should toxicity result in ban? I really wanna know what your guys' opinions are on this.

Comments

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    Options

And it shouldn't result in a ban, or I'd be long gone in the game.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

What can happen in the end game chat and that's it really.

Tunnelling, tbagging, camping, flashlight clicking is all fair game as its in the game itself and those are classed as strategies to either kill or to get them to chase you/distract them giving the others more time.

Some don't like the idea of the above hence they will call them toxic but in reality it's all used to try and gain an advantage over you opponent.

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Options

The act of exhibiting the most repulsive, vile, and aggressive behavior towards other people.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,695
    Options

I know what's considered toxic in this game is a huge grey area, but in my opinion, if you purposely go out of your way to ruin another player's experience, you should be banned. It makes for a bad fan base and scares players away from the game.

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Options

In dead by daylight certain builds being considered “toxic” consist of anything that people find annoying. Like sloppy butcher and thanatophobia.

• MegChicken
    MegChicken Member Posts: 163
    Options

It’s being an ass and taunting, like teabagging or killers nodding after downing someone and smacking them while hooked.

• ColgateAdvancedWhite
    ColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 616
    Options

Anything that does not align with my wants, opinions and beliefs is toxic.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    Options

@Chordyceps it's not my fault I used to run Object of Obsession and the old DS a year ago to improve, being toxic was the only way I get them to chase.

• PiiFree
    PiiFree Member Posts: 1,154
    edited April 2019
    Options

It's mostly a matter of opinion / personality.

Some players consider playstyles like looping, gen rushing, camping, slugging and tunneling to be toxic.

Some players consider perks and offerings like dark mist, DS, MoM, NOED or Insidious to be toxic.

Some players consider teabagging, hitting on hook, flashlight blinding / clicking and nodding to be toxic.

Some players consider offensive endgame chats, insults and profile comments to be toxic.

If you want to avoid being toxic, don't use any of the things I mentioned above. If you want to be as toxic as possible, do all the things above. Be careful with the insults though, those can lead to bans.

• Jesp
    Jesp Member Posts: 192
    edited April 2019
    Options

Mostly acting like a dingus in endgame chat.

Other than that there's some specific actions that have no tactical benefits whatsoever, like just standing on a slug until they bleed out when they're the last one and they're laying right under a hook or something, that's just pointless griefing. And abusing exploits of course, be it stuff like the Legion blade addon one or exploits that trap the killer in place and basically force them to DC, as well as survivors sandbagging other survivors on purpose by blocking them in corners or something.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

One of the best definitions I've seen is roughly "Anything that is done to intentionally ruin another player's experience and serves no in-game purpose whatsoever".

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

A total lack of decency and decorum. Intentionally trying to ruin the enjoyment of others for your own pleasure and entertainment.

No, trying to win by running from pallet to pallet is not toxic. Ignoring the objectives to chase the killer with your flashlight is toxic.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,576
    Options

Toxicity is based on each individual....some may find something toxic, and yet another wont....what makes me laugh is people been toxic for running add ons, perks and mori's that are MEANT to be part of the game and there for a reason.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Toxicity is the quality of being toxic or poisonous. For example the Plague is VERY toxic and the legion and clown are pretty toxic too. While Myers isn't toxic at all.

• Kim
    Kim Member Posts: 76
    Options

My definition for toxicity is simple. If you are ruining someone’s else’s game by belittling them and making them feel bad.

• benzos
    benzos Member Posts: 178
    edited April 2019
    Options

i think people get offended too easy thease days to call things toxic. this is a pvp game and some people taunt. big deal. the end chat can be bad but just report the really bad stuff or turn chat off.

i will say tho that i like when i get i-framed off a hook camp and slash killer just to teabag duckwalk at the gate. toxic? nah, but the trash talk in the end can be fun.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

tox·ic

/ˈtäksik/

adjective

adjective: toxic

1. 1.
    2. poisonous."the dumping of toxic waste"
    3. synonyms:poisonous, venomous, virulent, noxious, dangerous, destructive, harmful, unsafe, malignant, injurious, pestilential, pernicious, environmentally unfriendly; More

4. antonyms:nontoxic, harmless, safe
    • relating to or caused by poison."toxic hazards"
    • very bad, unpleasant, or harmful."a toxic relationship"
    1. 2.
    2. FINANCE
    3. denoting or relating to debt which has a high risk of default.
    • denoting securities which are based on toxic debt and for which there is not a healthy or functioning market."the financial system has become clogged with toxic assets"

noun

plural noun: toxics; noun: toxic

1. 1.
    2. poisonous substances.

Origin

mid 17th century: from medieval Latin toxicus ‘poisoned’, from Latin toxicum ‘poison’, from Greek toxikon (pharmakon) ‘(poison for) arrows’, from toxon ‘bow’.

Use of toxic over time

there ya go

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,695
    Options

I didn't really mean you specifically, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I wouldn't call that there very toxic if it was just to get practice in.

• wurzelbart
    wurzelbart Member Posts: 63
    Options

Teabagging and "gg ez" (or similar hostile aftergame chat) are the only two things I would really consider "toxic" to be honest.

Flashlight clicking - Nah, they just want your attention and maybe be annoying.

Unhooking directly after you hooked someone - Cheeky, but stupid. Poor farmed guy.

Being camped - Maybe they don't know better or are insecure. Not necessarily a personal matter.

Tunneling - Same.

Being facecamped and nodded at right in front of the hook - Looks like someone is holding a grudge or direly frustrated. Not necessarily a personal matter aswell.

Sandbagging - Accidents happen, might have been a mistake. If it definitely was planned, it's a d*ck move, but not toxic.

Looping, mindgaming, OoO, ... - No, no, just.. No. It's called "playing the game".

Basically what benzos said. People get offended easily nowadays about small stuff and call every little thing that grinds their gears "toxic".

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Options

To be toxic is to intentionally cause distress and make others miserable for your own enjoyment.

Basically, if you make things personal.

If you taunt the killer all game and then say go or well played that's cool.

If you taunt the killer all game then tell them to destroy themselves and hurl insults at then and harass them, that's toxic.

Killer example:

If you play Legion, try your best to win and say go at the end of the match it's cool.

If you play Legion and stack the knife add-ons to give survivors inappropriately long mend timers and insult everyone post game then that's toxic.

This discussion has been closed.