Should Perk tiers be removed?

When the game first started, it made sense to have tiers since there weren't many perks at the time. But now, we have so many that we're losing count and it's just making the grind even worse, especially with the rng bloodwebs giving us perks like insidious to tier up just making the grind worse. So to reduce the grind we could

A. Remove tiers

Or

B. Make it so we can tier up perks in the loadout section instead of having to go through many addons and items so we can directly choose which perks we want to tier up.

The way to unlock teachable perks would remain the same

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Comments

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615
    edited April 2019

I like the feeling of powering up.

Take Adrenaline for example.

There's SO much stuff on it.

Yet you get everything on level 1, and only the Exhaustion cooldown is reduced with levels.

It feels like you got basically everything you need already at level 1.

I wouldn't mind it if levels would stay as long as they would feel different.

But they've been doing the exact opposite lately, a big example being Devour Hope.

So yeah, i feel like it's pretty useless to have levels now, and i'd support removing them altogether.

I see little use in being able to level specific Perks when the rewards are so neglegible with most Perks.

"I'll use 500k Bloodpoints now to increase the bleeding effect on Sloppy Butcher from slightly to moderately."

Meh.

Post edited by Boss on
  • twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

I agree, you don't grow stronger anymore with most of the perk qol improvements of late giving the major benefit of the perk on the first tier.

No longer do I wish for tier 3 of a certain perk to come on the next web, instead I find myself wishing for a new one I may be able to use.

The grind is out of hand, I think it's good for those who have thousands of hours and maxed out most chars but for thise starting out I fear the task may look so daunting they don't stay as long.

One idea is to remove tiers and give extra bloodpoints if you play a lesser lvled char (double BP up to prestige 1 and 35% extra up to prestige 2 etc which can only be spent on that char) maybe even give tier 2 and 3 bonuses for prestiging stage 1 and 2 and 3rd one gives shards.

I liked the grinding but I feel it's getting a bit much and I end up playing what chars I have to feed the others to get some decent perks rather than enjoy them from the start.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,295

I would prefer the removal of perk tiers as it would be less of a grind for us and less decisions on how to balance a perk for the developers. Although if they decide this is an unappealing option they could experiment and release some perks without tiers just to see how players feel about them. So all the old perks will still have tiers but all new ones no longer have tiers.

Although ultimately I'm fine with both options you suggested. I believe I've even suggested B at one point as it would simplify things without relying on RNG on the bloodweb. I wouldn't be against upgrading perks directly from loadout.

• RoMainPuppy
    RoMainPuppy Member Posts: 507

Either would be fine now that tiers are next to useless.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

No. The grind shouldn't be lessened.

If they do that again they need to make a new legacy again for people who grinded tiers.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,295

Another legacy isn't necessary and personally I don't feel entitled to compensation at all unless they can give me back the time I spent wasting getting the extra tiers of perks.

Sure I'll take some BP why wouldn't I but I don't expect anything if BHVR ever change perk tiers.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Yes, but I want some kind of reward like legacy skins back then after reducing the grind. After unlocking 95% of perks on everyone I invested tons of bp and time into it.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

Legacy heck no, but tier removal now that everything is pretty much the same with some minor differences yes.

• Jesya
    Jesya Member Posts: 1,101
    edited April 2019

Sort of.

IMO new perks released should have only 2 tiers.... all other perks grandfathered in remain the same.

But I think the bloodweb needs a rework. The grind is way too much.... you know that excuse people always like to use for weird balance. "newer players have a hard time".

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

No

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I feel the game is heading towards a point where Tier removal is likely a when as opposed to an if.

• Sythalin
    Sythalin Member Posts: 280

The entitlement is strong with this one.

It would be completely pointless to hand out another legacy "reward". Look at the current ones - no one actually gives a ######### about people having them except the people who have them, and I promise you that the same ones like you who cried for them maybe 15% of them use their skins in 10% of their games (and that's a generous estimate).

• PeepingPeacock
    PeepingPeacock Member Posts: 354

I think more people would care about legacies if nurse wasn't the only good one.

But they all suck except hers so no one really gives a crap.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    edited April 2019

While working my mindless job I thought up having perks appear only as level 1 on the bloodweb, and you have to bring them into x amount of trials to get the higher tiers. I don't think this would be a popular decision tho

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

I'd like to point out that if we remove tiers then we can have perks with a single non-numerical effect.

For example when suggesting a perk to allow for position swapping (which would prevent body blocking among other things) I had to add a cooldown for the sole purpose of giving it a difference at tiers 1 and 2.

Not to mention it is just easier to balance with only 1 tier.

• StarMoral
    StarMoral Member Posts: 938

I think leveling the perks should not depend on the bloodweb. Instead, maybe simply using the perk gives you PerkExp, and you use bloodpoints bring them to the next level when PerkExp is maxed.

Receiving Perks would still be linked to the Bloodweb, but levelijg them woukd work as stated.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I like the idea of no tiers.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

I like the basic idea of the bloodwebs. I'd prefer to put more perks in a bloodweb, and in the higher levels to let the players unlock more than one perk per level.

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527

I like the B suggestion more.

I like perk tiers 'cause they create power fantasy.

Being able to power up perks without the need of the bloodweb would be better,IMO.

• benzos
    benzos Member Posts: 178

give everyone t1 perks but keep the grind for t3. now they dont have to redo bloodwebs for a while.

• KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187

Option B is better IMO, but I'm fine with ditching it altogether

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

They might remove the Tiers, at least during the past Patches they readjusted Perks so that they function the same on every Level, just with minor differences. Before that, only certain Perks were really good at Tier 1, like Adrenaline.

What would also be possible: Leveling Perks by playing. So you can get Tier 1 Lithe in the Bloodweb and Tier 2 and Tier 3 need to be unlocked by triggering Lithe X times. Maybe there can be one way of leveling up with "Endurance" which means that a certain action needs to be performed X times to level up and another way, where it is more skillful.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I mentioned this before in another thread. I would like to be able to grind out my perks rather than spend a bunch of points trying to find them.

It would make players use new builds in order to upgrade their perks which would be interesting.

• Panduh
    Panduh Member Posts: 51

Fifty to sixty bloodwebs per character instead of 170-190? I'm swooning at the thought.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899
    edited April 2019

The devs have said before that it kinda doesn't make sense to have tiers anymore and they are bridging the gap between the different tiers. We'll make it is a good example, so is Devour Hope. New perks are made in a way as to have them viable at every tier. Think Flip-Flop, Solidarity. Both only add 5% per tier from 40% to 50%.

I would still say that they should get rid of perk tiers since it will reduce the grind without altering the "bloodpoint economy" (by bloodpoint economy i mean how much bloodpoints people receive per match since if it is too high there will be an influx of powerful items and addons in rotation making the game unbalanced).

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

Eh... Adrenaline tier 1 can really ######### you up though. I have had it several times I went down because it took too long for my exhaustion to get of cool down, so I couldn't dead hard.

• JoannaVO
    JoannaVO Member Posts: 750

The perk tiers don't have to change, the way you gain bloodpoints and the amounts should

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615

Well it was just an example.

Whether that matters more than i stated, in comparison to what Adrenaline has by standard, it's a small difference.

• BACKSTABBER
    BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809
  • No_Cluie_Louis
    No_Cluie_Louis Member Posts: 1,093

I think perk tiers are pointless and annoying. I don't think their should be different levels, and i think the colours need to be updated. Ultra rare perks should come back and then it scales with green and purple. Yellow wouldn't be needed as all perks would be tier 3. Just some QOL stuff that would be nice

• No_Cluie_Louis
    No_Cluie_Louis Member Posts: 1,093

How about you only get you perk choice every 2 levels, as in there's a choice of 2 at level 25, but then none at 26, then 2 again at 27 and so on, just so you would still get them slightly slowly, but you still get a choice

• Lemming
    Lemming Member Posts: 103

Would rather only have 1 tier of perk. The amount of grind for the average 200-300 hour player to finish a load out is extreme and will only grow. Either perks become 1 tier or we suffer greater and greater levels of bloat.

• keenko
    keenko Member Posts: 62

I’d love it

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650

No. I like the tiers. It's funa nd cool to get the 3rd tier. THey just need to make all the perks have more viability.

THey've been doing better in the last 6 months with this, but I mean it should be that hard to change a value ya know?