I'd just like to take a moment to say MoM isn't OP

KiraElijah
KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187

Mettle of Man allows you to take an extra hit, but have your aura revealed if you heal. Unless you face a 4-Man SWF (Less than 10% of games) with Mettle of Man (Reduced to less than 1% of games) You're fine

Comments

• Crythor
    Crythor Member Posts: 296
    edited April 2019

The Aura reading dosent do anything really. MoM gives a free hit for each survivor so 4 hits of all run it from the extra hit you get a lot of extra looping time since you get the sprint burst and can make it to pallets. In most matches you dont even need to heal. And if you do you can do it at a loop spot and not care if the killer comes to you at all.

Rework MoM:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/57208/mom-rework-idea/p1

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

I agree on different terms, as the perk states in its description "Will activate when in the injured state", so going down in the healthy state will do nothing for you

• pushkina
    pushkina Member Posts: 130

How ofte do you see 4 ppl run mom? I have yet to see it. Only op for swf. But ######### solo players right?

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited April 2019

MoM is incredibly strong against the majority of killers, but it's not OP because it can be countered. The only problem I see is that Nurse, Billy, LF, Huntress, Myers, Legion, Plague, and even Trapper have seen a huge increase in play, and all other killers have diminished. Also more killers are camping 1st and 2nd hooks than before, equipping more "instant Down" perks/add-on's, or actually using Mori's on every Ash they see because they (rightly) assume that the Ash players have MoM equipped and are falling upon these tactics and killer choices to counter it.

So yeah, to sum it up: it's not OP! It's just narrowing the killer types we encounter, promoting the increased usage of instant down perks/add-on's, Mori's, and camping... Nothing wrong with the perk changing the game for the better. /s

Post edited by TWiXT on
  • soshidow
    soshidow Member Posts: 104
    edited April 2019

It's less about how powerful it is, more about how unfun it is to face.

There are 7 killers (Wraith, Hag, Doctor, Freddy, Pig, Clown, Spirit) who's only way to counter the perk is:

• Grab you mid-vault (smart players aren't going to allow that)
    • Bring instant down perks (Haunted Grounds, MYC, NOED)
    • Addons (RedHead's Pinky Finger for one hit clown bottles, Prayer beads for "fun" silent phasing spirit)
    • Camp on hook so that they don't have to hit you 3 times.

Now, since most people aren't going to let you grab them when MoM is active... What type of counterplay do you want to encourage with this perk?

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796

@TWiXT

"So yeah, to sum it up: it's not OP! It's just narrowing the killer types we encounter, promoting the increased usage of instant down perks/add-on's, Mori's, and camping... Nothing wrong with the perk changing the game for the better."

Are... You even hearing yourself? Those are exactly what Survivors are whining CONSTANTLY about! And the game is becoming better because Killers are being forced into those playstyles/tactics?

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063

@Tzeentchling9

Woosh?

I see the sarcasm of my comment is lost on some. I will add a "/s" to it.

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796

@TWiXT

Sorry. It's hard to tell with all the nonsense these days.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Full SWF groups are in less than 10% of matches? Where do you have that statistics from?

• No_Cluie_Louis
    No_Cluie_Louis Member Posts: 1,093

I don't run it as survivor as one hit extra isnt really worth it. And when playing killer i've never thought omg that just wasted so much time. People comparing it to DS aren't making sense as DS you downed them and wasted time picking them up, and then got stunned, at any point in the game. MoM only works at the third token, only lets you take an extra hit, and has a downside, even if the downside isn't major

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456
    edited April 2019

Also about MoM, we all kind of over-reacted about the perk, me included, it isn't "op" itself, it really is like old DS, only broken when everyone uses it in the team, i think it should get the same kind of rework as old ds tho, effect being less impactful if multiple people do uses it in the same match.

• Crythor
    Crythor Member Posts: 296

And they confirmed to fix the situations were it didnt work atm like vs Nurse for example with the next patch so it gets even better.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

I've said it before and I will say it again. I don't care if the perk is OP or not because it is the only perk that actively encourages failure rather than simply mitigating it.

• MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky
    MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky Member Posts: 571

You mean mettle of men allows players to be rewarded when they make a mistake or get outplayed?

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I agree. It really isn’t OP.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

I never have trouble with this perk as a killer but that is personal experience I guess.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,897

That's one possibility. Or a more likely one is that I'm actually an efficient killer, and MoM like the original DS is exaggerated as being OP.

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946

MoM is incredible strong if used right and the more survivors is using it, the stronger it gets.

Besides the 6 hit in one chase fantasy, MoM usually adds one hit to the game. Have 4 of them is the equal to having a 5th phantom survivor to chase down.

What would you say about a perk that would increase the numbers of gens to be done by one or removes a hook state?

MoM is even better than DS because in injured state you can block everything for your teammates or yourself. Even tank chainsaws!

The only universal counter usable by all killers is camping the first hook to prevent MoM to take effect.

M2 killers can deny stacks, that's all.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

The aura reading won't even matter if the killer keeps chasing you after MoM activates since after you get downed your aura won't be shown to the killer anymore which means there is no downside to MoM.

• GenSim12345
    GenSim12345 Member Posts: 182

Its not OP by itself. With the right comination of perks then yes. It could be very OP. Even then its countered by exposed effects.

The real kicker is that it punishes killers for doing their job, it feels like a bootleg DS before DS was balanced.

Its just a boring, bootleg perk that gives you a freebie when you were bad, or outplayed by the killer. As it is now its just an "Lol, ######### you, i got another free healthstate" perk with no downside besides aura reading. Which doesn't matter because its used to extend a chase.

• keenko
    keenko Member Posts: 62

I agree, folks who try to claim it‘s a new DS are ridiculous.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

I bet ur not efficient as u claim and that u versed potatoes. Prove me wrong recording a match how u destroy 4 good survivors using MoM.

• HeHeBoii
    HeHeBoii Member Posts: 507

Nonsense, it’s actually balanced. You just need to adapt is all. - Entitled Survivors

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    No_Mither_No_Problem Member Posts: 1,476

Even if it were a ######### Perk, MoM as a concept is just Down syndrome incarnate.

It literally punishes the Killer for defeating you. That’s bad Perk design. It needs to go.

• TheBig_BadPig
    TheBig_BadPig Member Posts: 62

I honestly think it's legit trash. I thought it would be a good perk but after I tried it, I don't see myself using it again.

• bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772
    edited April 2019

This was a rough game. Look at the items and perks used on the 3 top players. If that doesn't scream toxic/try hards builds. Though, none teabagged :)

EDIT: Had another game against two of them. Toxic as f*** .... stupid teabaggers

Post edited by bendermac on
  • NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

@bendermac even the 4th guy had an instaheal.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

Jesus, @bendermac i feel sorry for you, this scoreboard makes me want to puke, i hope it wasn't that frustrating to go against :/

• keenko
    keenko Member Posts: 62

So i hate this idea that perks “punishing killers for good play” are a thing/bad. Perks aren’t inherently meant to only be activatable when your opponent messes up. Do you have the same thought about NOED? What about Make Your Choice? Why should i be punished for safely unhooking my teammate? See how stupid that is?

Perks are perks, they should be a benefit to the person who uses them, not a punishment got bad play on the opponent. Also 3 hits isn’t defeating a survivor.

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    No_Mither_No_Problem Member Posts: 1,476

This argument is the sole reason I don’t take people with Jeff PFPs seriously, but let’s dissect it.

I don’t like NOED, so don’t bring that ######### up with me. But even it has more counters than MoM. You can cleanse the totem or outrun the Killer.

MYC is perfectly balanced. Being on a one-hit down for 60 seconds isn’t all that bad. You can still avoid the Killer. You can still loop them. You can still do everything to prevent the Killer from getting to you in the time it takes for the timer to run out. Moreover, the Perk only activates if the Killer is more than 32 meters away from the hook, meaning you have PLENTY of time to get away.

Meanwhile, MoM is just “I was outplayed and outsmarted by the Killer over and over again, so the make up for that, I’m going to not go down the next time I get beaten in a chase.” There’s no discernible counter that isn’t a soon-to-be-patched bug. The only way to get rid of Mettle of Man is to just activate it. You have no choice but to give the Survivor an extra hit.

When you’re injured, and the Killer hits you, you should go down. You shouldn’t get to say “haha I have 3 hits lol” when 2 hits is already more than enough if you’re actually a decent player.

• GenSim12345
    GenSim12345 Member Posts: 182

MYC is perfectly balanced, promotes anti-camping, and its usefulness depends on how far away the killer is and what killer your using. Its EASY to miss the chance to make MYC work for you. Especially when looped.

NOED is a perk that counters some survivor perks by instantly downing them at the end of the game. And can be destroyed if the totems are destroyed early game, or if the hex is found.

What counter does MoM have when NOED, MYC, or other exposed perks like HauntedGrounds are not part of the equation? Instant down power or addons that create exposed, maybe Legion with his multi-stabs + FranksMixtape in PTB.

MoM is essentially a safety net, to help extend the chase. But it has no downsides besides that Aura, which doesn't matter when i can just chase someone else when i am aware that they have MoM.

• Fres0c0
    Fres0c0 Member Posts: 115

"MoM isn't OP" the entire community be like "Wrong"

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

The difference is you can avoid make your choice or no one escapes death.

Unless you're playing a specific killer there is no getting around MoM.

You affected by make your choice you literally just have to be affected by make your choice you literally just have to avoid getting hit for 60 seconds.

No one escapes death can be be countered even before it's coming to play and if it has come into play you could simply just destroy the totem.

If a Survivor has MoM and you're playing someone like piggy you're screwed because you can't avoid it.

Actually I lie there is a way to avoid it.

1) Camp the survivor until struggle stage and then immediately tunnel them for the death hook

2) camp them until they die.

3) camp them until they get rescued and then immediately mori them.

None of these are fun for the survivor or the killer.

Also to add insult to injury this perk synergises perfectly with things like borrowed time and Dead hard make it even more bullshit.

Say what you will about old decisive strike but at least you could have juggled the survivor to a hook if you are close enough

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Any good opportunity can be wasted in bad hands and I doubt killers are concerned with a solo mom encounter. Been playing on Xbox lately where Swf decked with second chance meta has become almost normalized. I drop in as a fourth soloing and see these guys torture the killer. Your right that its not op by itself but squads and additional supporting perks are another story.

• DeadArsenal
    DeadArsenal Member Posts: 221

I find it amusing that the OP of this thread has Balanced Landing as their avatar. Makes me wonder if this is an ironic joke even though it's probably not. Poe's law and all. You know what else wasn't OP? Moonwalking Legions. Didn't stop them from nerfing Legion into the ground.

• akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

The perk is incredibly glitched, it doesn't work against nurse so it practically doesn't have a use imo except for gimping other m1 killers that many don't play.

• Cali
    Cali Member Posts: 108

Facecamping Ash players is the most satisfying thing in this game right now.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

@Cali not every Ash runs MoM though.