To my fellow console killers.

Options
thrawn3054
thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I have a question. At what rank (roughly) have you found the game start to become really difficult? I reached level 10 tonight (I know I'm not very good) and noticed a large jump in difficulty. Is this about everyone's experience or is this just me?

Comments

• TheGameZpro3
    TheGameZpro3 Member Posts: 699
    edited May 2019
    Options

I been playing The Wraith since ranks 19 (Rank 20 was Doctor), and then reached 12, and O O F. I realized either I was just against terrible players, Wraith is bad, or both.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I usually got 3k, because of H A T C H, whenever me and survivor are both at the hatch, I just smack him and get it over with, I have better things to do then waste 30 min. on something I'm going to lose. Now, I rarely get 1k, and that's usually with very clutch NOED.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    Options

It's the same with PC. Around the Rank 10 mark, I think you really start getting matched against the higher ranks that have deranked, as a lot of them hover around Rank 10 and slightly up the ladder.

The difficulty definitely jumps.

• thrawn3054
    Options

I mean I'm still piping or at least safety piping. I was 4k nearly every match no problem. Now I'm luck to get 2k.

• Kilmeran
    Options

@thrawn3054 (Thrawn was an excellent Star Wars villain, by the way). Anyway, the Devs have said in the past that they consider a balanced match as 2-dead, 2-escape. So, if that remains true today, then getting a 2k should mean you're in matches that are supposedly getting balanced for your killer skill level.

• Kiskashi
    Kiskashi Member Posts: 1,043
    Options

I'd say 8-9 personally is where I have to start trying but basically as soon as you reach the edge of green ranks it's noticeable. As above might be due to resets, most top tier survivors may sit around there post reset.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

IMO the game only becomes a challenge at red ranks, and even then it's not every game. It also depends on the killer. If I play Spirit or Billy I am pretty confident I can win most games, but if I'm Freddy or Trapper I know I have to play better to win.

I've been told I'm a very good Freddy at red ranks, without Ruin or NOED. Also other killers, but that made me feel especially good.

• thrawn3054
    Options

@Kilmeran The Thrawn trilogy is still probably my favorite Star Wars book series. As far as being matched about right I suppose you're probably right. I've just noticed I went from 4k with no trouble to busting my as to get 2k. Ah well. I guess it'll eventually make me a better killer.

@thesuicidefox Yeah I'm no where near a red ranks killer lol. Since you are do you have any hints or tips how to find super immersed survivors? I've been running into alot of that lately.

• Kilmeran
    edited May 2019
    Options

@thrawn3054 Off-topic, but that Thrawn trilogy is what revived Star Wars. Like with West End Games and the table-top RPG license, Bantam got the Star Wars license at the time for cheap (compared to what it would later become). Lucas Entertainment was actually shocked they wanted the license, because they considered Star Wars over and done at that point.

The Thrawn trilogy made record sales. Subsequent books did the same. Then Dark Horse did the comics, which also made record sales. At that point, LucasFilm decided that there was more to Star Wars after all, and George decided to test the market with the Special Edition theatrical releases. They made bank, and so he decided to finally do the Prequels.

I worked at West End Games at the time in the 90s. I remember when Bantam and LucasBooks contracted a new author, they were sent a box load of our sourcebooks for the RPG since WEG was basically creating the first wave of what would later be called the Expanded Universe. The authors used those RPG sourcebooks for a lot of the base material in their novels.

• IAmFlownominal
    IAmFlownominal Member Posts: 16
    Options

That 7-10 rank range was always the dead zone for me as survivor where the "good enough to be toxic, but not good enough to rank up" survivors would get stuck and halt my progress from pipping out of their range. I imagine that's the same for killers. I prefer the anxiety of a stressful survivor match so It's been a while since I bothered hitting top rank with killer so I'm not sure if that's still the case.

• thrawn3054
    Options

@thesuicidefox I've actually found Wispers confuses me more. I wish the tier 3 radius was smaller. Thanks for the advice though.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,358
    Options

@thrawn3054 - Being Rank 10 does seem to be where survivors become looping masters. I think it's because ranking up is slower now for survivors so those that deserve to be red rank but don't play as much end up being around green rank.

How good are your headphones? If you watch streamers play they often hear uninjured urban evading Claudettes before seeing them.

• Acesthetiic
    Acesthetiic Member Posts: 1,077
    Options

IMO Red ranks are the only place I might find difficulty. I have found high success with all killers there, but at times there are SWF that can give you hell. It’s crazy I haven’t played in like a month lol haha just realizing that now...

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154
    Options

I had a hard time at around rank 6 to 4/3, after that they were just boosted

• thrawn3054
    Options

@JawsIsTheNextKiller My headphones are decent I think. When the sounds aren't bugged I'll hear foot steps, injured survivors, killer breathing and such. I've yet to hear survivor breathing though. Not sure if that's my hearing, headphones, or sound bugs.

• Killernewb86
    Killernewb86 Member Posts: 31
    Options

I find red ranks incredibly difficult. Ive been forced to camp one guy to slow down the game enough to even stand a chance. I can usually get 1 or 2 survs off the gens with this strategy. I also run thrill of the hunt and ruin to buy time for the surv to die on hook.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

@thrawn3054 Whispers only let's you know a survivor is within 32m. Don't listen for Whispers just look at the perk icon. If it's dark, no survivors are around, if it's lit someone is close. Basically it let's you know when someone is NOT around so you don't end up wasting time searching an area. If it's lit then you're not necessarily wasting time looking around. It also let's you know at a distance if survivors are on a gen or totem or gate, as when you get within 32m the icon will light up, and since those are survivor objectives chances are that's what they are doing. You can also zone survivors with Whispers, as it will light up when you get near jungle gyms or structures, so you know "hey someone is in this structure". You still have to use your eyes and ears to actually find them but Whispers saves you time by confirming that someone is indeed nearby. And if they stay still, say in a locker, you can use Whispers to pinpoint their location. by finding the edges of the range.

There really isn't anything else that can help you find immersed survivors. Maybe Shadowborn and Stridor could help, but Whispers is far superior.

• DenimChicken
    DenimChicken Member Posts: 114
    Options

Going against ranks 8-10. Sometimes you get matched with rank 5's because of SWF. Seems like they purposely play with their rank 9-12 friends to get a less experienced killer.

• ATerribleBilly
    ATerribleBilly Member Posts: 69
    Options

Rank 4 is too sweaty for me. I just can't play with gens being done in less than 2 minutes.

• Arroz
    Arroz Member Posts: 1,433
    Options

I played in a friend ps4 (rank 12 as killer) and is more easy than pc...

Or maybe are survivors braindead in ps4?

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

It depends on how soon you play killer after rank reset. For me it's rank 4 but it could be any rank depending on how soon after rank reset it is.