The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Disconnecting due to irl situations

Batsy
Batsy Member Posts: 10

Alrighty hear me out first. Sometimes if I am not careful playing the game (I am still in my parents house I'm in my last year of school), my family have a strict thing where if dinner or we are going some where (with or without warning) and you are playing DbD. I will get yelled at for making them run late, they don't understand that I can't technically pause the game. In the end I usually have to disconnect even tho I am in the middle of the game. I do truly try to avoid playing the game when close to those times, but dinner time can come up at any time for me.

Ik it does sound a bit stupid, but fairly rarely I disconnect due to rage quitting. Every once in a while I will have to disconnect due to irl situations. You would kinda understand the situation if you have parents that like to do family things together or just want to go... The new disconnecting punishment system thats upcoming, I am a bit nervous about when I have to disconnect cause It would suck to have an afk player in the game as well. I guess it's how you view it. If I have to be afk to avoid getting the disconnecting punishment system then that might be a way, but thats going to end up with angry survivor team mates and most likely a report of not playing the game properly for Idling.

Ik it does sound stupid but I hope some can see my point of view. I don't want to ruin the game for anyone believe me, just some situations where I have to disconnect due to irl makes me worried for getting a warning for disconnecting...

Comments

• Theluckyboi
    Theluckyboi Member Posts: 1,113

If you Dc for necessary stuff outside of the game it is perfectly fine, but how are we supposed to know you did it because of that

• Chaotic_Riddle
    Chaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,953

As long as you don’t excessively disconnect so many times in such a short amount of time, you should be fine, and even if you do get banned for it, you’re free to report the issue to BHVR’s customer support to fix your situation if the rare occasion were to ever happen. (But the chances of you DCing so many times in one day shouldn’t be an issue unless if you do it purposely, in which I think the people behind the system will be able to tell)

• TheOwl
    TheOwl Member Posts: 185

As others have said, you should not receive a ban if you are rarely disconnecting. However, I would recommend at least staying in the match AFK as you are far less likely to receive a ban for this than you are from disconnecting. You may even be able to help keep your remaining teammates alive as the killer will still need to hook and sacrifice you which is something they would not need to do if you left the match. 

To address your concern about receiving reports for going AFK, many players will realize that you had something urgent come up and had to walk away from your computer so they won't report you. That outcome is in comparison to intentionally disconnecting and having the developers' system count it towards a ban automatically.  

Having said all of that, as somebody who has dealt with both disconnecting teammates, and teammates who have gone AFK, I can say that both situations are not exactly enjoyable to be in, so it is best to avoid doing either as much as possible.

• CutestMuffin
    CutestMuffin Member Posts: 30

Set an in-game timer perhaps?

Should a player disconnect, only track it for penalising if the player queues up for another game/relaunches Dead By Daylight within the time frame. IRL situations often take time. A quick reboot of your game takes seconds or a couple of minutes depending on your machine.

This is a quick idea that I pulled out If my rear but I would love to hear your thoughts on this

• babylove0812
    babylove0812 Member Posts: 24

as a mom, I totally get your situation... 😂 rip.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I get your situation as a teenager myself, you should be fine though. :)

• Batsy
    Batsy Member Posts: 10

Ah okay, thanks you all for explaining it all for me bit more better lol. I just heard about the disconnection punishment rule and kinda freaked out a little bit, not looking in further

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,442

Instead of tracking the time it takes the player to start a new game they could just temporarily ban the player, for an hour or so. If you have a legitimate reason to disconnect being locked out for an hour or whatever is chosen shouldn't affect you

The technology required for this is essentially what is needed for your idea