Which perks would you recommend for new players?

Not that I am a new player, but I would like to know what your opinion is with that.

My beginner's build:

Claudette.

Self Care, Deja Vu, Small Game and Spine Chill

Claudette was my first choice too, because SC is a nice thing to have right at the beginning. The other perks help new players to learn where totems and gens are. Also with Deja Vu you lern not to 3gen yourself and get better map awareness. Small Game also helps against Trapper and Hag. Spine Chill is great against Killers with small TR.

Comments

• nunadventures
    nunadventures Member Posts: 198

Technician, self care, deja vu, and either dark sense, alert, or spine chill

Technician is a really good perk for survivors if they haven’t got the grasp of skill checks

• dfrenchiee
    dfrenchiee Member Posts: 334

Bond is a very helpful perk for new players. SC and sprint burst are too.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,179

@dfrenchiee, @nunadventures and @I_am_Negan I thought of these perks too, but I thought that new players won't have any DLC nor any other Character at Lv 40 for the teachable perks. But once they have (since Dwight and Meg are standard characters), these are other good choices.

In this case I would think of Iron Will, Urban Evasion, Distortion or Breakdown. Which help at being stealthy and help that you don't run into the killer after being unhooked.

Distortion also helps with Nurse's and BBQ. Especially Nurse's because this depends on your intuition and experience whether a killer has it or not

• Bithard
    Bithard Member Posts: 406

I would say a stealth build early on and once you have got used to that start bring in exhaustion perks and windows of opportunity to get used to running.

Playing without perks is actually the best way to get better. If you can learn without them you are going to be so much better.

• LapisInfernalis

@Bithard good idea to play without perks but very frustrating

• drunky26
    drunky26 Member Posts: 686
    edited May 2019

Self care

Sprint burst - best exhaustion perk for new players, can't go wrong with it

Windows of opportunity

4th?? not sure, bond maybe? I use bond all the time, it's really underrated but I don't think new players care about their team that much. Maybe decisive, cause low ranks farm a lot.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

SelfCare, Spint burst, Windows, and Technician

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278
    edited May 2019

Survivor: Spine Chill, Self Care, Bond and Lithe.

Killer: Unrelenting, Hex: Ruin, Enduring and Whispers.

• LapisInfernalis

The problem with SB is that you'll have to walk or you'll waste it.

DS is not good for beginners imo. Because if the killer has an obsession perk the new player would get much attention which they often can't handle.

Nothing is more terrible for a new player to be a Dying Light and get tunneled/camped to death

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814

Kindred

• Bithard
    Bithard Member Posts: 406

@LapisInfernalis incredibly frustrating, you are going to get annihilated a lot. But once you get used to it and play well without them all perks feel a lot better and you notice the difference.

Plus it's hilarious when a killer messages you salt when they can't catch you and you have used nothing XD I imagine this would be the same for playing killer as well.

• LapisInfernalis

@Bithard This happened to a friend of mine. The Killer was pissed in chat, but then he saw there were no perks and had to apologize.

• MdsTheGriffin
    MdsTheGriffin Member Posts: 38

Premonition is good so you can know when the killer is near you or coming towards you. You also know the general direction they are coming from, so you can go the other way or hide.

I use Dark Sense cause I also like to know where the killer is when I finish a generator. Idk, its just what I like.

Those two are good for starting out IMO.

• Kiskashi
    Kiskashi Member Posts: 1,043
    edited May 2019

I'd say learn with Min first, she has alert and technician, which show you where the killer is often and technician is less punishing on skill checks then work for bond, urban and self care.

I was a smart personally, I started with Jake... 😂 To be fair when I was asked who to level first by a friend who was new to dbd I did suggest Claudette (or Nea for urban) because her perks are generally okay for beginners and she doesn't stand out much.

• Carpo
    Carpo Member Posts: 19

Taking into account most new players don't have DLC and lack teachables, I'd recommend they use Dwight or Claudette.

Aura perks allow seeing other survivors, Dwight's help for groups and gens, Claudette's help with healing.

Nea and Jake are good as well for stealth.

Meg, David and Bill have good perks, but involve more risky plays and restrictions (sprint burst can be restrictive).

I think most universal perks like dark sense have use for new players.

Over time I would recommend they experiment and change up perks to get a feeling and not have a crutch early on.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

If you’re a new player, your main focus is probably more on being stealthy and working generators than on boldly distracting the killer.

I recommend:

—Technician to help you “get gud” at skill checks

—Urban Evasion to help get to better hiding places quickly and quietly

—Alert to help you keep tabs on the Killer’s location (he breaks things more often than you’d expect)

—Spine Chill so you know when it’s time to start Urban Evading your way to that bush over there

Because you are probably not too good just yet at escaping when a killer chases you, I would hold off on Self-Care for now. You won’t get much opportunity to use it as you’ll likely take 2 hits during the chase. Once you are unhooked, just follow your friendly savior survivor and let them heal you. I would also hold off on the “speed boost” type perks for now. They’ll be more useful when you get better at planning escape routes.

When you feel more mid-level, you can shift your focus to somewhat riskier behavior (like hook rescues and healing teammates) with perks like Empathy, Deliverance, and Diversion.

Oh, and here’s a completely unrelated, but vitally important piece of info that I wish I had known when I first started playing. When you go against the Hag, crouch and you won’t trigger her traps! When rescuing teammates from hooks, assume there are traps all around the hook and crouch your way there. After the rescue, don’t forget to keep crouching, but be prepared to bolt as your buddy may not know this and blow all the traps.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

We’re gonna live forever (getting bloodpoints isn’t helpful), dead hard, spine chill and dark sense.

• LapisInfernalis

@yobuddd yap, this is something even players at mid ranks forget. It drives me crazy every single time.

Another thing I learned quickly too:

When the round starts and you sit at a gen, look around. Only stop when the DING of the skillcheck comes and hit it (now I don't even stop anymore). Assume that there is Myers with no TR until you know it's not. I was grabbed too many times by Myers using M&A.

Or just do something else like a totem first. It is more quiet than repairing.

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

You don't need Small Game. Even if it's for Ruin, it'd be better to practice your way through the skill checks. If you hop off briefly after a "good," it'll help you get the gen done. Once it stops sparking, it can move again. If it's for NOED, that only comes into play when end game comes. You don't get that many points while cleansing dull totems and it's honestly better to keep up the pressure with gens and saving than to stop to cleanse a totem that isn't lit.

While you're new, you should avoid perks that help others imo. We'll Make it, BT, Kindred, etc. I'm guessing by your build that you don't have any other characters to 40. Dwight would be a good one to work on next for Bond (good for information on who's doing what), though David is also rather helpful for points. If you run Self-care, maybe consider running Botany, too. Helps with the time.

Of the general perks, Deja vu is really good for knowing what gens to target and learning to keep an eye out for it (as you expressed). Premonition is good for seeing where the killer is coming from and learning to look around yourself. If you can afford to buy other survivors and put points into them right off the bat, I would recommend picking up Kate for Windows and Feng for Technician (to possibly mask failed skill checks).

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

Dwight, Claudette, and Meg all have solid Perks for a new player. I would suggest not going for a "build" though. You need to learn the basics before you start crutching it up with Perks. Hitting skill checks, learning how to not run for your life when a Killer gets near, and learning how best to help your team (especially if you play solo) in the various situations. By the time you get all your available Survivors to level 40 (for all the teachables) you'll have a better sense of what Perks are good for your style of gameplay.

I definitely would not recommend using Self-Care too early. You won't learn how, and more importantly when, healing a teammate (and getting yourself healed) is appropriate. It's better to rely on others, and the occasional found medkit, until you have gotten skilled in the basics. Self-Care is too easily abused and will give you a sense of immortality that will backfire horribly at higher Ranks. I personally don't use it at all, even at Rank 1-5. It's a slot that could be better taken up by something else, especially since you can get free heals from your teammates.

• prayer_survivor
    prayer_survivor Member Posts: 626

If a new survivor wants to play more than 2 minutes needs Distortion. B&C at low levels kills more people than all of the killers together

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited May 2019

Bond in my opinion is the single most important perk for a new player to have.

It's important so you can see your fellow players in action in real time and see how they play, so you can understand how to play better. It also helps you avoid the killer because it you see your teammates running towards you in a rush, you know they're being chased so you know to move away. It also helps you locate allies so you can get healed.

I personally think Bond is the best perk in the game. But that's just me.

Other newbie options:

* Self Care - when I started my friend recommended I play Claudette to get Self Care. I didn't and went Nea to get Urban instead. I regret nothing. I still don't run self-care to this day, but for newbies it's important to be at full health as much as possible. However I actually don't recommend this perk it just encourages poor play.

* Distortion - the biggest problem newbies will have in the game is BBQ and Chili. They are not going to last at all without Distortion, because they don't know how to play around BBQ yet.

* Small Game - important to teach you totem locations. Newbies should take this so they can learn where to find totems. It will also teach them where trapper likes to put traps.

* We're Gonna Live Forever - Bloodpoints. Bloodpoints are awesome. Sure it teaches you to be a hook farmer, but newbies need blood points more than anyone.

• Mochan
    edited May 2019

I disagree. Those sound like famous last words for someone who got one-hit trying to open an exit gate.

The gen-rushing strategy is so prevalent that I found it's better for me to spend the game hunting down totems instead of doing gens, because once the last gen is done we're all screwed when NoEd comes online. I always cleanse totems as my priority in every game as a result these days.

• LapisInfernalis

@Mochan I know how you feel. I had this game recently where the gen rush was real. When there were just 2 Gens left I actively went for totems but only got 3 of them. I was looking at a 4th when the last gen popped. Nothing. We still got Noed'd in the end because the others didn't bother with totems at all.

So here is my advice:

When you are approaching a gen, look for a totem nearby (Totems are 85% near gens). Even if it's a dull one, break it. Look at the killer shack and the Main Building.

On Lery's/The Game: Look at the exit gates. There is most times a totem there.

That's not that difficult.

• Mochan

I've already memorized the common totem locations since I basically start every game looking for them. It's not hard and I think everyone should be breaking totems before doing gens, to be honest.

It also gives killers what they want -- a longer game.

Well, it works for me, because breaking totems is a lot safer than doing gens, so it ups my survivability as well. I'm not really complaining.

I kind of appreciate when I have a team that's good at doing gens, all too often I get into a group that is bad at it and after I've broken all 5 totems there are still 4-5 gens left to do. =_=

When that happens I know we're all going to die, hahah!

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089

My buddy just got this game, and I told him to main Nea till he got her perks.

BL, Urban, and Streetwise is a solid build on it's own, and helped him learn the basics of the game, including managing exhaustion.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
    edited May 2019

Small game is my main perk. (look at my avar image)

May be its just me, but I actually afraid of getting one hit down by Noed at the end. The feeling of we are so close to the victory, but died at the end, I feel not to pleasure with it. With EGC now, there is no time to save your team mate, or team mate save you by finding Noed.

Ruin only slow gen fixing down, not stop. But to my opinion, you sit at a gen for 80sec is long enough for Killer to search & chase you at least one. That gen can be re-gression to 50% of your hard work Hex skill check. And Hex ruin extend it to at least 20-30sec. That half a min is really important, its either you finish that gen or get chase & gen re-gression. If no one hooked before Hex ruin removed, I would call its a great start.

I mean, a brown tool box only makes it 10sec less, purple tool makes 16sec less, that 10-16sec can make a big different. Now talk about 30sec more that you have to sit at a gen.

To my experience, most of the time, if there is no Ruin. Expecting Noed at the end. So if there is a Ruin, I will find it. If there is no Ruin, I will also find all dull totems.

Post edited by C3Tooth on
  • Mochan

Small Game not really necessary once you've memorized where all the totems spawn.

But yeah it does help and it makes you mostly "Trapper proof" so it's not a bad choice. Given how meta NoEd is, you could do a lot worse than Small Game.

I also agree with SmokePotion, Nea is one of the best survivors to start out with. Personally I would recommend starting with either Dwight or Nea.

• shadowman0105
    shadowman0105 Member Posts: 261

Plunder for both getting items and learning where the boxes spawn

• LapisInfernalis

@C3Tooth yes. But I also had killers who run Ruin AND noed.

Another strategy/rule would be: everybody does at least one totem.

And of cause it's a lot safer to cleanse a totem at the beginning of the match. I do this myself and in this time you'll often know which killer it is. Which is another reason for Premonition /Spine Chill. No TR when it goes off? Killer with 24m TR (or Wraith/Pig) . Nothing at all for the first 1-2 minutes? Probably Myers.