Self Care - Holding the game back.

Hi guys,

(skip to the TLDR if you don't care about the theory and want to jump to the debate)

Iv'e been away for a 2 months and not played DBD until yesterday after hearing about the end game collapse. I jumped on a level 15 survivor i was levelling up. I played 6 games, and they were the most fun iv'e ever had on DBD.

I completed doing first gen, then spirit popped out of nowhere and got a solid hit on me. I ran and managed to hide. then i realised i didn't have self heal and the rest of the game was a tense sesion of hide and seek, occasionally getting chased and having to go into unsafe areas "basement / killer shack" in order to loot a potential med kit to heal.

My self and one other survivor escaped after partnering up to heal each other and perform some clutch hook saves during the end game collapse.

TLDR

After my 6th game of hiding, running, searching chest and death anxiety i realised, this is what DBD is supposed to be. The game has become pallet loops, bum rushing hooks, butt dancing & in general, a lack of fear. This is because there is no downside to getting hit.

Every survivor has self care. it's tier 0. And when a perk or character gets this powerful, it needs a Nerf. For the sake of immersion, and before the game becomes stale.

Self care - simply put should only be able to be activated once. You get 1 extra life, and a bonus to med kit use, and that your lot. still powerful, but no longer broken and tier 0. The game becomes a horror game again and avoiding the killer is rewarded rather than charging him with near immortality..

This would also reduce face camping as killers would have a reason to go out and hit other survivors rather than knowing the second they leave that survivor is back offf the hook and on full hp with little downside.

Comments

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527
    edited June 2019

Self care is great if you are a good survivor.

Otherwise it is something that holds you back.

(Tip: You can use SC with distortion and if the killer has NC, you can tap yourself during a chase and leave no scratch marks for 10 seconds :P)

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

I just bring a med-kit

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Do you realise what u r even talking? This would just force the last potatoe to never heal and use adrenalin while rushing the ######### out of you.

The healing nerf already made a big meta shift to not heal at all but rush faster. Ur idea is bad Imo

• HURRI_KAIN
    HURRI_KAIN Member Posts: 358

SC has already been nerfed, heavily. all healing has been. If they gut SC, they will have to weaken all killers as well to rebalance. Are you really asking BE to nerf all killers?

• HURRI_KAIN
    HURRI_KAIN Member Posts: 358

Eliminate SC, and all killers will have to hit 3x to down a survivor.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

While gutting SC is indeed not the right answer (at most just give it a small nerf) I honestly don't think that a nerf to all killers would be the result of this.

• SwInD
    SwInD Member Posts: 13

Self care is trash

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

The problem with this is that people will still loop and nerfing sc will make gen rush worse.

• Black_Fence
    Black_Fence Member Posts: 308

This I switched out SC for bond when the healing nerf happened. It takes so long to SC now it is literally useless. The only time I miss it is when I go against a Freddy so I can spam space at pallets for the tasty wake up skill checks. Seeing as I am red ranks I get to play against Freddy maybe once every 58364 games so I don't miss SC at all. It is overall a trash perk now.

• Judith
    Judith Member Posts: 819
    edited June 2019

I disagree. As a solo survivor and someone who doesn't bring items I won't depend on random strangers to heal me. After getting hit once and wasting killers time, I get the free heal if I escape. It makes a ton of difference. Even If I don't want to heal just having that option for appropriate time is big for me.

• Black_Fence

I solo survive. If someone doesn't heal you when you teabag them after finding them with bond simply use that person to dump the killer on next time you get caught. I tend to trap people into healing me while they are on gens. If they don't then I leave them on hook. I am not saving your arse if you couldn't heal mine. Almost 90% of survivors I encounter will heal me when I bum dance by them. The other 10% get no help from me what so ever and I tend to leave while they are on the hook. Very satisfying.

• Judith

I actually used bond instead of sc for a little bit once and felt it didn't helped me at all. I switched back and I feel good with my current build. I think I will always use sc.

• Black_Fence

I felt like that for a while but then I just got used to not taking hits all the time. I run Bond, BL, IW and either plunderers or prove thyself depends if I am grinding BP or wanting items.

• miaasma
    miaasma Member Posts: 911

self care gives a huge advantage

to the killer

survivors waste a colossal amount of time healing themselves (even more against the commonly run sloppy butcher) instead of doing gens or going for saves or doing literally anything useful and it's borderline throwing behaviour

a lot of survivor players simply stop functioning when they're injured and won't do anything useful until they are healed. i've actually had people aggressively teabag next to me for heals instead of joining me on the final gen. stop being so scared of being injured

• Black_Fence

Oh yes let's not heal the survivor that is probably on death hook so you can get your gen and escape. Some of us don't run adrenaline if someone is asking for a heal and it is safe to do so freaking do it. Or you end up going to unlock the exit gate and the survivor still injured hides. While you are on the hook having got downed for trying to unlock the exit gates I will make my way out the exit gate not coming to save you because you decided it was better for you to try and do ######### on your own then heal someone that needed help.

• Judith
    edited June 2019

I am the person that will rather do a gen when it needs to be done and I don't have a problem with being injured sometimes. I even refuse heals from people to do gens. But if I wanted to play a game injured all the time I would run no mither.

• AStupidMonkeyy
    AStupidMonkeyy Member Posts: 718
  • thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Self care is fine. They already nerfed it. Your proposed nerf would make the perk useless.

• miaasma

person who cannot function while injured spotted

you must have a great time vs plague

that is if you're not killing your team by cleansing as soon as you get sick because being injured is scary and teammates who want to do objectives are selfish and deserve to die

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,238

Selfcare hasnt been nerfed, basic healing time got adjusted and since selfcare scales with that. ...

Adrenaline became more popular because instant is instant even if the basic healing time got adjusted.

Selfcare still is strong

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,079

You want to get gen-rushed? Because thats how you get gen-rushed.

You should be happy for every Survivor who is wasting 32 seconds (or even more with Perks like Thanatophobia or Sloppy Butcher) to heal themselves and is not working on a Gen.

• Black_Fence

I am fine being injured but I sure as hell am not going to be going for saves once the last gen is done when injured. The situation mentioned was getting a heal "before the last gen was completed" the truth of the matter is it is a lot harder to loop injured, harder to hide injured, harder to open an exit gate injured, finally harder to save injured. You committing to the last gen to let the killer know where you are when they are injured it purely selfish. You 99 the gen if you have to then heal then pop it. Is someone has adrenaline they will commit with you but chances are that person won't do the gen with you if they are injured because they want a heal. You waste time them not being on the gen healing you and make a survivor play a lot more stealth. I don't have problems doing things injured and I quite often will and won't cleanse against the plague because it gives her benefits however you not healing me makes you selfish so I will play selfish.

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237

When you get better at playing survivor (few thousand hours) you dont need it anyways. Just do gens.

• miaasma

i'm sorry but this playstyle is game losing

there are times when healing is smart, but healing instead of doing the last gen, especially in a close game, is extremely stupid. healing instead of opening a gate is also stupid

there is a reason why good survivor players don't mind going most of the game injured

• Immersion
    Immersion Member Posts: 16

Hi, been a while. After reading all the comments I still stand by my original post. Its not because self care is OP, (gen rush is OP) it's because it ruins immersion. And, it's also cheap as F.

Remove the cheap perk, make players have to weigh up if taking that hit is worth it knowing that it will take a team or med kit to get that HP back.

Also, if its so bad, why would you care if it was nerfed or removed??? Is it because it secretly justifies making poor plays k owing you need 30 seconds alone to get away with it?

• Brucecastro81
    Brucecastro81 Member Posts: 1,609

Wait... you think that Self-care is OP and should be nerfed? What is happening with this forum?

• Vampirox
    Vampirox Member Posts: 411

In all honesty they should revert the change of the Self-care nerf. since its been nerfed all you hear about is killers complaining about gen rushing. Back then with the way self-care was everyone ran it and healed themselves making each one get off gens and ACTUALLY heal now its like whatever just rush this fool

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    edited December 2019

I wish everyone would use selfcare when I play killer lmao

• Seltas0208
    Seltas0208 Member Posts: 1,056

Bond is a better self care. Change my mind

• KuromiStarwind
    KuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325
    edited December 2019

Yes, that is correct. All of the things that are in the game that are meant to slow the game down are ignored. They are ignored because of the ability for 4 survivors to carry around incredibly strong second-chance perks, which allows them to completely ignore killer mechanics, like Plague or Legion, or completely ignore having to heal in favor of pounding gens ASAP.

Do you know how many times as a survivor my team and I simply get to a point where we mess around with the killer for points because of how easy games can be?

But here's the thing: You complaining about Self-Care in what you're saying makes absolutely zero sense because people don't even use it anymore like they used to. Even IF you made it better, people still wouldn't use it, and if you actually made it as quick and strong as a medkit, it would be broken and only further emphasize the ability to ignore mechanics meant to slow the game down - like being injured :)

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

I only solo and sometimes that gen needs to get done - so stop sandbagging be useful finish the gen, then you'll get your heal.

• Poochkips
    Poochkips Member Posts: 265

Wasn't healing already nerfed at one point. Yeah let's nerf self care. Legit decision. better yet just remove it. Self care is not nearly as good as it could be. 50% the healing speed of a normal heal, a normal heal takes around 10 seconds less with addons that assist it. You can run botany knowledge to make it only 17% the normal speed. Thats 2 perks that you could be using to run something else though. People that bring self care honestly slow the game down quite a bit. When the game is about winning chases and optimizing time, if you take the time to heal with selfcare you're wasting 20 seconds+ of not doing gens. The game is still scary even with self care, but it's a 1v4 game...You won't really ever feel fear unless it's really a 1v1.. Leave selfcare alone...it's pretty average as it is. Doesn't need to be touched tbh

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

Medkit+Dead Hard, because we die hard.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Self care is a wasted perk slot.

If your new I get it..and the reason I main claudette. Because when I started survivor I needed it to not be a burden to my teammates.

I stick with her because I'm loyal.

So many better perks out there.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768
    edited December 2019

A nerf to self-care? Why? There are way better and faster ways to become uninjured.

• Tr0g
    Tr0g Member Posts: 241
    edited December 2019

As a killer, playing against 4 SWF with SC (this is actually fairly common) is nearly impossible. They don't waste time healing each other. Anyone who gets hit, hides and heals themselves so their teammates can keep rushing gens. If you chase a god-looping survivor long enough to actually down them, 2-3 gens will have been popped in exchange for 1 hook.

Solo players are rarer than groups on console due to their more social nature vs PC gaming. Every game is against a 3-4 SWF group and you can easily tell they are using voice comms so your aura might as well be revealed the entire game. It's just not fun anymore, hence why there are barely any killers rank 1-10. As a rank 15 killer you will often be matched against rank 5 survivors because nobody wants to play killer in those ranks. It's nuts. As a killer it only takes 10 seconds to get into a lobby, SWF groups have to wait quite a while and even then they get dodged often.

SWF is killing the game because nobody wants to play with them. But the devs don't do ######### because these SWF whiners cry that they will leave the game if anything changes. It's okay, there's a surplus of survivors anyway, just go.