Freddy's aura reading change

Options
LordGlint
LordGlint Member Posts: 8,030

About 3 weeks ago, during a Dev stream, some talk about the upcoming Freddy rework brought up the question regarding his aura reading. Will Freddy after the rework retain his aura reading? The answer...was no. The reasoning though wasn't due to being too strong or anything but rather that some survivors didn't know his powers DID that, so... Theyre gonna remove it. Because of SOME survivors ignorance of his base power, it's being removed. Shouldn't this just be a top on the loading screen for "facing the nightmare"? Thoughts?

Comments

• LordGlint
    Options

@SpacingLlamas it's the only aura reading in the game you can be 100% SURE the killer has though.

• SpacingLlamas
    SpacingLlamas Member Posts: 602
    Options

@LordGlint I'm not saying they should remove it. Just not surprised that they are

I want it to stay personally

• LordGlint
    Options

@SpacingLlamas my big gripe isn't the removal, but rather the REASON for it.

• SpacingLlamas
    SpacingLlamas Member Posts: 602
    Options

@LordGlint That's why I said they balance for low rank survivors.

As only a low rank survivors wouldn't know that. It's a terrible reason

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

I figured the aura reading out because I used Sole Survivor, and it kept telling me that my aura was being hidden to the killer. I eventually asked the killer how he was able to read my aura 24/7/365, and he told me about the aura reading part.

• LordGlint
    Options

@NMCKE anyone who reads about the killers powers IN GAME would know each killers quirks. This is like taking away corrupt purge cuz someone didn't know the downside of purifying at fountains.

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    Options

"I dont think they're reworking Freddy because he's bad at red ranks. I think they're reworking him so he'll be easier to understand at the lower ranks"

-Tru3

And I feel like he may have a point here, cant find the clip where he said it tho, I'll look for it and post later if I do

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited June 2019
    Options

He doesn't need aura reading, especially now that he'd just passively put people into dream state.

Skilless mechanics are cancerous to this game.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Visionmaker not saying he DOES or DOESNT. I'm saying the reason given is completely asinine.

• wisdom
    wisdom Member Posts: 216
    Options

You only ever see that load out the first like... 3 tims you play against a killer.

the issue is there are a lot of things that are complicated about freddy’s Power for more than just a few players.

On Facebook about a month ago, someone asked if Freddy could see you outside of his terror radius. UNIRONICALLY half of the people who commented on that question said no.

And when you play Freddy, you can see more than one person who clearly doesn’t understand how it works, and those are 100% of the games you win as Freddy. 

Having a reminder of how his ability works pop up like 3 times, only maybe one of those times telling you that’s how it works, it isn’t enough for most players in a “casual” game.

That and really the aura reading is dumb. Even if you understand how it works, there is no reason to have a killer that straight up just knows where you are at all times, especially with the rework just sleeping everyone for free.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Honestly I am worried the new rework will make him ALOT worse. I have recently had the pleasure of seeing a good freddy in action and that has changed my opinion about the rework drastically. Knowing how a killer's power works is part of the game and something that is the easiest thing to pick up on so this is quite a stupid reason.

• Visionmaker
    Options

Aren't you just nitpicking then?

If you know it's a reasonable balance change, you're upset that they didn't say it for balance specifically?

• NMCKE
    Options

@LordGlint

I know, I wasn't trying to imply that you was wrong. It's just confusing for newer players, especially me, and I didn't know that until I had around 500 hours.

However, that's not the only reason why the developers removed the aura reading:

• The aura reading encouraged tunneling.
    • It ruined stealth, literally.
  • Jdsgames
    Jdsgames Member Posts: 1,109
    Options

It doesn't ruin stealth. It is only when you are sleeping and I hope you understand the phrase "Welcome to my world #########!" So in reality while you were in the dream world it was Freddy's advantage.

• LordGlint
    Options

@wisdom Just because you may have a better understanding of other aura reading, like nurses calling, doesn't mean you should REMOVE the effect from things due to ppl not reading the information provided to them. If they claimed it was removed because they felt he already had alot going for him, and was due to balance, sure. But to remove it when it SHOULD be a given that he has aura reading, expecially when you have perks and add-ons, like BBQ and Scratched mirror, that also require the knowledge of how to counter it WITHOUT being immediately obvious the killer is using it...makes 0 sense. The games page on Freddy TELLS YOU what dream demon does, whereas unless you yourself have BBQ or scratched mirror, you'd have to look outside the game for that knowledge.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

well it wouldve been broken in his future form where sleep is unavoidable.

• wisdom
    Options

I can agree that the Freddy rework wouldn’t actually make him better. At least with the info we are given. 

Assuming dream snares work like clown bottles, Freddy will be a 115 killer with terrible traps and insane mobility on big maps but pretty mediocre on smaller maps. And sticky worse than billy in pretty much every way (which is to be expected)

• LordGlint
    Options

@Mat_Sella they introduced new ways to wake up, as well as removed the sleep action speeds penalty.

• wisdom
    Options

Do you honestly believe that Freddy, without doing anything, should simply know where all survivors are at all times?

His rework makes it so that survivors fall asleep over time passively. If you keep the aura reading aspect without changing anything else from what we know, that simply gives the nightmare free information on where survivors are at all points in the game for simply playing the game 

Information as to where survivors are is HUGE. You mentioned A Nurses calling? Yea that’s one of the most popular perks in the game for a reason. BBQ too. There is no denying that aura reading is powerful.

In fedddys current state, it’s probably the greatest thing about him, yet he still has to go and find survivors first to get that aura reading.

I don’t want to assume you are suggesting that Freddy deserves to just see where survivors are every x seconds when they fall asleep, so I would like to know, what do you believe is a good way to implement the aura reading in Freddy’s current power rework, or do you believe that it’s okay for a killer to simply know where survivors are for free (which to me would sound fairly bias if that was your stance )

• LordGlint
    Options

@wisdom ok, about your points. 2 things... Doctor says hi. Being around him long enough gives away position, and once you hit madness 2... The position reveal is permanent all game. With Freddy, this info is used for survivors NOT BEING CHASED. They're the ones who can just interact with the new clocks to turn it off.

• wisdom
    Options

Doctor has a pseudo-whispers effect 1 time at the beginning of the game, hardly ever after that. 

I don’t know the fall asleep timer so I’m going to say 60 seconds.

Every 60 seconds a survivor will fall asleep. Current that just means you can be affected by Freddy’s dream abilities. What adding aura reading would do would mean that you know the position of *every* survivor at all times until they fail a skillcheck or run to a dream object.

That is NOT like the doctor, who builds up madness for being near you, gets a single scream notification, and has to actively obtain the information or get someone into madness 3 (a lot of work on their part) with an easy escape option int he survivors end.

An aura reveal and a scream notification on top of not having to do anything vs having to do something. They are in no way similar.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144
    edited June 2019
    Options

"Skillless mechanics are cancerous to this game"

Looks at every mechanic Survivors have

Yeah I agree with that.

• FishFry247
    FishFry247 Member Posts: 696
    Options

The ability of not having 7 seconds without add-ons to hit someone make the rework Freddy already way better than previous, they are also reworking his add-ons like red paint brush, making all survivors start in dream state, already sliwing the game flow down massively for survivor's

• Steve0333
    Steve0333 Member Posts: 529
    edited June 2019
    Options

At least we'll still have scratched mirror Myers (who is better than Freddy) which only requires a simple add-on.

I just hope the new Freddy is better in more ways than not. Maybe they could keep Freddy's aura reading ability with an add on.

• LordGlint
    Options

@wisdom I wasn't talking about the screaming from survivors but rather the doctor illusions that are permanantly spawning to stare at them, even in lockers. Compare this to survivors who are not in any current danger being the only ones who's auras are being revealed and CAN turn it off with a plethora of methods now.

• LordGlint
    Options

@DudeDelicious exactly... There's no incentive to wake up if Freddy isn't chasing you.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,099
    Options

I'm pretty sure if people read the power for the nightmare. It say auras of survivors can be seen outside of terror radius

• wisdom
    Options

@LordGlint

Ah okay.

My point still stands though, since doctor illusions spawn randomly and only face in 1 static direction looking at the survivor at the moment it spawns.

So it is still extremely different than an aura reading ability.

Like... a survivor falls asleep and Freddy dan see exactly where they are and the only way for Freddy to not see them is if they run to an object that Freddy knows where it is. 

And yea, he can’t see people in his terror radius, but he saw them before hand and cannot lose them unless he decides to let them go.

Idk friend, I don’t know what value you put on information in the game, but there is a reason that nurses and bbq are among the most use killer perks in the game.

• Visionmaker
    Options

Any killers can use aura reading to their advantage. That does not mean we should give every killer passive aura reading.

It is the fact that he receives this for doing nothing which makes this skill-less. Furthermore, taking away the need for prediction for his teleportation takes away even more skill necessary.

• LordGlint
    Options

@wisdom thanks for maintaining a civil discussion btw. Your right about afew things. Doctor illusions are not auras, they're about on par with Plague's perk infectious fright, constantly all game with no way of removing them.Survivors CAN stop feeding info to Freddy though by failing a skill check, using adrenaline, finding a teammate or using a clock. These survivors have the time to do so since Freddy isn't nearby. This also gives survivors SOME incentive to even bothering to wake up.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Visionmaker His telepotation not only has a huge tell, letting all survivors on the gen he's teleporting to exactly where he's about to be, but likely a long cool down between uses. What else could the power bar POSSIBLY be for?

• NMCKE
    Options

@Jdsgames

Freddy has an advantage in both realms. The regular realm he's invisible to survivors, which makes it very easy for him to catch them off guard. Once they are in the dream realm, they have to stay within his TR to remain hidden.

• LordGlint
    Options

@NMCKE the rework will remove the aura reveal and action speeds penalty while asleep, as well as causing awake survivors to see you as you approach.

• NMCKE
    Options

@LordGlint

Personally, the aura reading never bothered me as a survivor because if he does finds you, it's a M1 chase (-60 seconds from the killer). Furthermore, you can easily wake up by failing a Skill Check and avoid it altogether.

• Jdsgames
    Options

@NMCKE he is also visually impared with the dream world 24/7 and has to put you to sleep before you can get hit. Also Freddy is only a threat in the dream world.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Jdsgames were discussing the rework Freddy, not current freddy

• NMCKE
    Options

@Jdsgames

Freddy is more than just a threat, he has huge mindgame potential because the dream transition can fool survivors about your position. However, I agree, he definitely needs a rework because he has nothing else to help him while in a chase.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Peanits thoughts?

• wisdom
    Options

@LordGlint

I mean, the current incentive to wake up is that it turns off Freddy’s power entirely. No dream pallets or dream snares. The only thing Freddy can do to awake survivors would be to chase them down and teleport every 60 seconds.

With just what the developers have given us, Freddy does not sound like he will be that strong. I agree there needs to be more incentive to wake up.

And I understand that survivors can stop feeding Freddy the info, but the info he gets is massive at the start and would continue to be extremely strong throughout the process of waking up. 

Maybe a scream-type notification when someone falls asleep fully, but straight up seeing where they are and what they are doing and where they are going through walls with an infinite range without having to do anything to get that information in the first place- with no counterplay mind you since this is trying to stop yourself from being revealed after you have been revealed- it just doesn’t seem like it would be a good call. At least not with the way Freddy works in his rework.

Right now it’s fair, because Freddy has to find the survivor first and then choose to let them go. The survivor has some some control as to if they get caught in the dream and they are generally being chased if they are put into the dream.

• Jdsgames
    Options

@LordGlint I was originally replying to a post saying why it was being changed. Then I was given a comment that is based on the current one. So Idk why you are nitpicking me for replying?

• LordGlint
    Options

@Jdsgames wasn't trying to be rude mate, just rather trying to avoid confusion of ppl discussing 2 different versions pros and cons.

• LordGlint
    Options

@wisdom back up one moment... If you are not in a chase with Freddy, the snares and such are not a problem. If you ARE in a chase, he'll simply sleep you first. At what point is it benifitial to wake up?

• Jdsgames
    Options

At the same time the discussion is his aura reading which both my comments regarded. You did not start this discussion purely based on the new Freddy. Simply just the point that the aura reading will be removed. Which when originally replying to it branched onto how stealth is ruined by this. Which I then got into how it is fair since you were in Freddy's Domain. Although, I will agree on the pro/con type confusion. However, as OP you should have made it specifically about rework Freddy rather than a part of the current advantages that he has. As Freddy having Aura reading is Current Freddy so in reality we didn't venture far from the starting of the discussion.

• wisdom
    Options

Freddy never sleeps you. Falling asleep is passive and global.

• LordGlint
    Options

@wisdom as it stands though, there's no downsides for survivors not in chase to be asleep AT ALL. There's actually UPSIDES to being asleep. There's no reason to ever wake up.

• wisdom
    Options

@LordGlint What are the upsides?

• wisdom
    Options

@LordGlint Oh I get it, popping Freddy’s traps while not in chase, yea?

• LordGlint
    Options

@wisdom you COULD but, you can also just SEE him easier. While awake, he'll go in and out as he approaches. While asleep... Completely visible. I'm also fairly sure the sleep mechanic to put ppl to sleep ISNT global btw, but rather around Freddy's area, like Docs static field. Probably 24m, which is lullaby range.