Trap Based Killers Should Be Alotted Time Before Survivors Spawn to Place Traps

This really only works for Trapper, Hag, and from the sound of it the new (and hopefully improved) Freddy. A huge downside to these killers is that they have to place their traps around and waste time while survivors get started on gens. These killers should be allowed to get a slight headstart of some sort to begin trap placement. It would make them a little more viable in the long run.

If the game were to introduce this concept, they could also possibly do this for killers that use hex totems. They could give the killer time before the survivors spawned to place hex totems where they would like and what not. Just an extra thought I had when thinking of this.

Comments

• Caz2018
    Caz2018 Member Posts: 193
    edited June 2019

I play as hag frequently and would not want this.

Part of the fun is to decide which bolt holds, windows, pallet slams, gens, etc would be most beneficial to trap and you wouldn't know until the game started what the survivors will do. Early on, I go for the most likely spots, or mark gens that haven't been started, but love being able to mark areas as I needed to, in response to what the survivors are doing. I tend to run Ruin so that is usually enough to slow up the survivors while I get busy setting traps. You could spend 2 minutes laying traps before the survivors arrive, only to find their placement is useless because the survivors don't play the way you think they will.

Speaking of totems, while I agree that current placement is often detrimental to the killer, I don't believe the killer should have the option to set their own hex totems - it's far too open to abuse. I would prefer to see them properly hidden when the map loads, but not so bad that no one has a chance to find them.

Also, when playing survivor, the wait time can be ages as it is. Survivors aren't going to want to hang around while the killer gets a head start.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

As a Hag main this sounds awful honestly. Nice in concept but in practice it would be really annoying

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Which would very quickly give away which Killer you are, or at least which type.

• Grobbit
    Grobbit Member Posts: 12

First of all, this would be terrible for survivors, because they would have to wait more time at the beginning of the match for the killer to do this. Second of all, the killer could trap and camp the survivors spawn location. If the survivors are supposed to spawn across the map from the killer, the killer could spam traps in the spawn area and leave. If you've played trapper a bit, you see that after 1-2 gens are completed, his power really starts to click and work. If you find not having time a big issue, run The Plague's teachable perk Corrupt Intervention.

• BloodMoneyMerc
    BloodMoneyMerc Member Posts: 477

Well even a 30 second overhead map view mechanic would be nice. So instead of walking around you get to just choose where traps are pre-set. I'm thinking more of for Trapper, even though I feel it would be a nice addition for Hag as well. But survivors would not spawn on top of traps if this were implemented properly. And also survivors waiting a short period of time before the match begins isn't the end of the world. I was just brainstorming while playing Trapper and figured that could help him out bit in his current state. Hag would just become more lethal of a killer with this tool, which is a plus to me.

• Hag.is.Dtier
    Hag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,398
    edited July 2019

Or just balance the game for everyone, so you can't repair all the gens in five minutes.

• Frozenscum
    Frozenscum Member Posts: 393

Awful idea, how do you even come up with it?

Trapper and Hag take their time to place traps to cut chase time later in match, I cant even count how much time I've started chase with healthy survivor just to pick him up from trap 10 seconds later. Can you achieve 2 hits with M1 Killer in 10 seconds? No.

You took time for placement and compensate it with chases cut.

You can play differently, place 1-2 traps and go and find survivors to start chases, picking up traps midchase and placing traps after hooking.

While Trapper and Hag can sacrifice 2 gens for that, it will pay off later.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

I agree with you right up until you say 'it will' rather than 'it might' in regards the pay-off. It only takes one dedicated person disarming traps who is even remotely good at it and Trapper becomes a basic M1 killer with no benefits.

Trapper's anticipation-based ability is negated by survivors who are themselves anticipating it, in no small part to the traps being obvious even with darken addons and they can be ran past even when placed in the middle of a narrow doorway.

He's pushed more towards Hag's reactive-style, but without the support for it in his design. Trapper-mains requested to be able to set traps where they currently are without pick-up(useful for if you are already at carrying capacity or short on time) and the devs acknowledged it but...nothing. That would at least let him catch-up to Hag as a reactive-controller.

• Frozenscum

I dont even use darkening addons on him, they are fun, but I prefer green setting tools to cut my time and increase time I have to reach caught survivor if he steps in trap not too far from me.

Just dont place traps in obvious places, predict paths and place traps there. Ofc some obvious places should be trapped too, like vaults on long walls, but overall beeing unpredictable is your best friend.

• ArecBalrin

Do you understand the paradox there? A Trapper can not simultaneously avoid placing traps in obvious places whilst also placing them in such a way as to predict paths: those paths are the obvious places.

An unpredictable Trapper will catch unpredictable survivors, sometimes. A predictable Trapper will catch predictable survivors, sometimes. It's a matter of wits and bluffs(but mostly pure chance), more so than chases themselves even come close to, but survivors have the edge because of the long set-up a Trapper is gauranteed to go through if they want to get any use out of their traps, with a very uncertain pay-off.

Any prediction a Trapper can make, a survivor can too, but with the additional benefit of a head-start not afforded to the Trapper. One survivor making use of that head-start will shut traps down, with a 1/4 progress penalty compared to the 100% progress penalty a Trapper has whilst placing traps.

• chunkycheese21
    chunkycheese21 Member Posts: 27

As if loading times weren't long enough we gotta wait for this guy to camp spawn points

• Frozenscum

There is no paradox there.

Placing traps in unusual places along common paths has no paradox in sentence.

Survivor will check narrow walkthroughs, but rarely will be aware when running between gens near non-pallet obstacles.

Traps placed around loops get survivors a lot, when they see no trap in pallet, they tend to think loop is safe, etc, etc.

• ArecBalrin

It's not unusual if everyone does that; there is no unusual spot along a common path, this is a tautological contradiction.

• Frozenscum

I dont see any point in further argue. Idea is bad.

• Skittlesthehusky
    Skittlesthehusky Member Posts: 670

this unfortunately isn't a good idea. the reason being; it can tip off who the killer is early. this was prevented by disabling killer-related hooks early on in the development of DBD because of how people instantly knew who the killer was.

this is also a bad idea because the whole point of being a trap-based killer is to strategically place your traps when given the time for actively moving survivors. you cannot give killers this much lead-way. it's also unbalanced for the nature of the game.