Hex Ruin is a Problem

Options
Beets
Beets Member Posts: 39
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

EDIT: After reading through the replies, I have changed my opinion on Hex Ruin. Feel free to disregard the text below.

(I previously posted this in the survivor's forum but thought it would fit better here)

Hex ruin ruins the game. If the hex isn't found near the start, the survivors are screwed as the killer is able to casually breeze through the survivors who are desperately searching for the right hex totem. This makes it so that by the time the hex is found there's no way the remaining survivors can do 5 gens. At tier 1 and 2, doing gens is possible but unlikely to succeed but when the perk is tier 3 there's no chance. It's especially awful if the killer is running haunted grounds and, when you think you've found the ruin totem, you're met with a horrible surprise. Honestly, as horrifying as it is, I was pretty fine with it until every killer started running it. It's made it so that dbd for survivors is not "do gens the game" but, instead, "look for totems before you're screwed the game". It's gotten so bad that I've taken to running small game just to have a chance of finding the ruin totem while the survivors still have a chance to win. It's just not fun.

Post edited by Beets on

Comments

• Beets
    Options

Yes I can imagine that the games would probably end quickly without a way to stall the survivors working in max overdrive. I hadn't considered this before because I haven't played at a more advanced level. Thank you for posting your perspective as a killer player.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    Options

You can easily work through Ruin, just practice the skillchecks. This Hex has perks that counter it therefore if you don't want to play to counter Ruin you cannot complain. Heck even if you don't want to run a counter perk you can still just work through it as I first said. Inexperience/lack of skillcheck skill is what makes Ruin seem like a powerful perk. Get some practice in and you will see how weak it really is.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

Its really not a problem. It only looks that way when everyone runs off to totem hunt instead of powering through.

• Raidoku
    Raidoku Member Posts: 69
    Options

Hex ruin RUINS the game it doesnt matter how GOOD you are only killer mains says that and TBH its annoying because you spend 15-20 mins looking for the totem half of team has been on hook by then and only when you find it does the game actually start but its too late and takes the fun out the game because i think it needs a rework should not be able to activate until 3-4 gens have been fixed and then the totem for it should pop up small game even at tier 3 isnt that good so why is hex ruin OP im a level 5 survivor and i can say hex ruin is used 4 out of 5 games with killers like ghost face myers and even freddy DEVS please review this perk as it is too OP.

• Raidoku
    Raidoku Member Posts: 69
    Options

anyone who says get GREAT skills checks are toxic because you cant get Great every tme or no one would complain about the perk so dont fall for the "get good" toxic talk.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

I play both sides, recently more survivor than killer and I never found ruin strong.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,542
    Options

Yep. I play more survivor, but plenty of killer. Hex Ruin is almost a requirement as usually 2 gens pop before the first survivor is down.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    Options

1: it doesn't look good for your credibility to be taken seriously when you clump everyone who disagrees with you as "killer main" simply because you don't like their answer.

2: Ruin is very weak once you are able to ignore it and just do the skill checks. I've had plenty of games where we did 3-5 gens before Ruin was even found. My guess is you are still either new to the game yourself or are playing in lower ranks with teammates who do not have the experience.

Practice vs complain. Ruin isn't getting changed so rather than wasting time and energy screaming at the internet focus that time instead on getting better at A: Learning totem spawn locations B: Hitting skill checks C: Being scummy and gen tapping. You have so many options to deal with Ruin that don't involve using a counter perk.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

Ruin is only a problem because matchmaking is a joke.

Even though I play survivor at rank 1, there are still plenty of games where Ruin is never found. I finally discovered that this is because a lot of us are getting matched with boosted teammates. People with relatively few hours of play time (I know this because I started checking profiles).

These players don't know the map layout, so they pretty much can't find Ruin. Which unfortunately means the match is going to be a drag.

Again, it's just another issue that can be attributed to matchmaking.

• DemonDaddy
    Options

While everyone runs around exposing themselves that's the time to do gens. The killer will be expecting you to be on the totem hunt and preoccupied with survivors running around. Even if the team is getting slaughtered, you can at least finish 2 gens solo. Well that's my reasoning as a solo survivor anyway. As killer Always found hexes to be pointless unless they were a delayed surprise like old tier 1 devour hope.

• Remki
    Remki Member Posts: 24
    Options

Hex ruin is not that big of a problem. I play both survivor and killer and recently playing killer without ruin and NOED is the worst. I used to hate running both of those perks but now you get gen rushed so quickly if you don't have ruin, it's insane. I feel like I always have to bring ruin and NOED for when the survivors find my totem in the first 50 seconds of the game. It's absolutely horrible to play without those perks, and you can see it playing as either side.

• tehshadowman33
    tehshadowman33 Member Posts: 939
    Options

If you can't hit the great skill checks, then just generator tap.

Seriously, I've had games against 4-man Solo as Nurse running PGTW, Hex: Ruin, BBQ, and Stridor and I only 4k'd with 1 generator left and my chases lasting 40 seconds or under.

Trust me, it's fine.

• tehshadowman33
    tehshadowman33 Member Posts: 939
    Options

Yeh, I've started seeing weird things like Rank 16 and a Rank 9 and a Rank 4... Some matches are just a rainbow of different ranks. Shouldn't happen unless it's a SWF, but I don't expect that sort of thing with solo matchmaking. =/

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814
    Options

Lmao, if ruin is your biggest issue its actually time to git gud.

Its not even good perk xD.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100
    Options

As someone who isn't a god tier survivor, I can hit excellent skill checks on ruin fairly consistently. Eventually, with practice, you get to a point where it might as well not be there. Ruin is the result of an entirely different problem in this game, one that the developers have refused to address for about a year and a half now.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,097
    Options

Ruin is only good against those who can't hit great skillchecks. I had ruin stay up and survivors goes thru gens as if the totem wasn't there.

• DemonDaddy
    Options

You dont even need to gen tap whether you can hit the skill check or not. Had a game where two gens were in sight if one another, I was doing mine normally while 2 teammates gen tapped the other. I finished mine and got another to 70% before they finished. Just so you know the killer was occupied with teammate #4, so there were no interruptions to their gen effort.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

It's only strong against beginners. Experienced players can and do breeze through it.

Hex:Ruin is only the top choice because all other generator perks aren't great or don't fully accomplish the same thing.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059
    Options

1.) Learn how to hit great skill checks (it's not hard)

2.) The perk is far from op, you can deactivate it in the beginning of the game.

3.) Learn your totem spawns. Knowing where totems can spawn can help you greatly when looking for ruin or any other hex.

4.) If you don't want to deal with skill checks then gen tapping is a somewhat good alternative.

5.) Run small game. If ruin is such a problem for you then run this perk. Maybe you can prevent NOED while looking for ruin.

• denicbro
    denicbro Member Posts: 2
    Options

Im a killer main and without ruin I have to sweat my ass out just to get 2 kills because i chase one survivor and boom all gens are popped. Some of you might say that thats a probleme cuz i dont apply map pressure. Well yes. I dont. That only because I dont know how.

• FishFry247
    FishFry247 Member Posts: 696
    Options

As a guy who has the same amount of time on survivor and killer I'm going to go ahead and say you are wrong, also how many hours do you have?

• miaasma
    miaasma Member Posts: 911
    Options

as much as i dislike playing against ruin, it kind of forces you to get better at hitting great skill checks. it's a good thing to practice

• preetygoodforumsofar
    preetygoodforumsofar Member Posts: 81
    Options

that's bc your team suck

try to hit great skill check

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    Options

Poot little survivor. Can't find the totem, hit great skill checks or just repair the gen anyway. Maybe you would like the killer to guide you by the hand to an exit gate and open it for you, would that make the little survivor happy? :-)

• Beets
    Options

Jeez man, the other killer players who commented on this thread gave constructive feedback, filled me in on their perspective, and gave me tips and advice. You, on the other hand, went out of your way to be a douche. Are you happy now? Did you get the external validation that you wanted?

• Beets
    Options

Thank you to all the killers who commented on this thread. I feel like a better understand merits and and importance of hex ruin as well as how to properly counter it. I consider my complaint to have been addressed and disregard my initial statement.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,039
    Options

With Hex Ruin I would suggest just working through it. Nothing makes a wasted perk like being in a chase with ruin up and have several gens pop because survivors are good at doing gens. With how common Ruin is you should be used to it by now. Its easy to learn how to fight through Ruin just feels super time consuming.

• wichael_wyers
    wichael_wyers Member Posts: 202
    Options

I'm not sure if OhTofu is going to do every single map, but the pattern in totem hunting gets ingrained. Take a look at these videos. There's a part in them where he discusses totem spawns and you'll get used to it as you play the game and get familiar with the specific placements in specific maps. Just like what some have said, practice makes perfect. And honestly you'll probably soon feel like Hex skill checks are easier than Great skill checks LOL. Good luck, man. It's frustrating and annoying at first, but you'll get used to it.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,444
    Options

Locked by op's wish

This discussion has been closed.