Thoughts on increased survivor bloodpoints and the repercussions it would cause.

Options
LordGlint
LordGlint Member Posts: 8,029
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

Ill start off by saying this is only my opinion. If yours is different, thats fine. Please share it respectfully while giving whatever defense toward your opinions you deem fit.

I have no problem with survivors lvling their characters any quicker and getting that sweet P3 or whatever they feel like blowing it on. Personally, I find lvling each survivor up in an attempt to get them all perked up and prestiged and such to be a complete waste of time, but if you wanna login and say "Hmmm....I feel like Kate today"...thats fine. I find it completely acceptable to be able to lvl a survivor, obtain perks and prestige at the same rate as a killer would. All that being said, there IS one huge thing to all this I would like to point out.

"rare" addons and equipment would be made more readily available to be used on every trial.

Currently, Killers lose whatever addons they choose to bring to the trials, while survivors only lose their gear and addons if they die. Ive always just kinda ACCEPTED this because if DBD is slanted for as close to a 50% survival rate anyway, and killers can just plow through bloodwebs twice as quickly, it kinda evens out. This isnt getting into the fact that survivors can obtain extra gear from chests but...whatever. Increasing the amount of bloodpoints survivors obtain however would also increase the availability of more potent gear and addons on average. More potent gear would of course raise the chances of success for the team as a whole, which would increase the survival rate, which would allow said survivors to keep their gear for the next trial. Thats where im seeing this to be abit busted...

My proposition towards this end would be, what if we treated survivor gear and addons the same way we do killer stuff? Whatever you choose to bring in, stays in the trial. This would cause both survivor AND killer addons to be gained and lost generally at the same rate.

Anyways, thats about all I have to say on the subject. While I have no problem with people lvling up their characters quicker, Im also weary about what could happen to the average survival rating if survival gear on average was improved upon. Im more than happy to discuss further if you have any thoughts on this. Please use the @ system for anything directed at me. Im sure there could be details and such to discuss.

Comments

• Riddick
    Riddick Member Posts: 121
    Options

I play survivor nowadays to spend bloodpoints in the killer side. I've never prestiged anyone due to how grindy it is. Queues will get better and we can get reasonable bps in both sides seems like a win win to me.

• LordGlint
    Options

@ClogWench Personally, I feel like the whole addon system should be completely reworked from the ground up. Theres no way to balance a game around consumable addons where the balancing aspect of it is "rarity". Working within whats already IN the game however...this is what I figured would be best...

• miaasma
    miaasma Member Posts: 911
    Options

it doesn't matter

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582
    Options

Maybe so but that's a tall order to fill and considering it would alter some fundamentals of the game, isn't likely to happen. For now, I think the BP gain increase is gonna be a huge step toward increasing game health and I'm very excited for this change to go live

• LordGlint
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Sairek As far as your first point, your right. Nurse DOES exist and the unbalance with what she can do without addons vs what someone playing Clown can do is way different. The Clown user would likely be spending every BP they got, JUST to be replacing the addons used, while being forced to also buy up abunch of brown BP offer's theyll never use and such.

As far as what you said after with " it's not like survivors will suddenly be getting 10k more BP than before per player" They just might. I DO feel like rewarding BPs for wiggling is abit much though since that implies you got caught first. You dont reward bloodpoints for killers who whiff their attacks, do you? Rewarding more points for totem cleansing or even avoiding detection by the killer though...Sure, boost that.

• LordGlint
    Options

@White_Owl I dont really think things like Instaheals and top grade toolboxes are really anything to scoff at. Simply providing more BP while maintaining everything else would also be welcoming more of those into any given trial.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582
    Options

I don't think this change is going to increase the amount of items and add-ons you see as much as you're expecting it to.

• LordGlint
    Options

@ClogWench Hope your right. Hope seeing 4 purple toolboxes with addons and back to back haddonfield map offerings dont become the norm, lol. I guess we'll see what happens, and hopefully the devs will be able to adjust something if they see a sudden shift in survival rating.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919
    Options

@ClogWench This is my worry too. I don't want to see green+ items with very rare+ add-ons every darn game.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    Options

In my view...

All they need to do is provide bonuses to the side that is short of players, to help with queue times. I'm actually not sure why this hasn't been done yet.

Right now it is survivors, and if killers continue to be more "fun" to play, than you need more survivors.

Killers need survivors to kill, and the more you have of them the better, so BHVR should start rewarding them for being the killer's fodder.

Overall though, I would say survivor points need to be a bit more, not a huge amount but some more.

That addon/item argument is old and tired. Killers will continue to wait more and more with more that comes out.

What draws new players?.. Did Ash all of a sudden bring in a bunch of players?... nah.. people come for the killers.. they return for them. I personally don't give a crap about getting new survivors, they are only a new cosmetic that comes with a couple of perks.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

@TheBean Agreed.

a) Survivors should be able to make the same amount of BP as the killer, if they live to the end of the match.

b) The lesser-played role should get bonus BP to help balancing the queue times for both sides.

• semaj_leachim
    semaj_leachim Member Posts: 48
    Options

Survivors only keep addons if they dont use them. Killers definitely use theirs.

• LordGlint
    Options

@semaj_leachim Survivors keep all addons as long as they dont completely use up the charges on whatever gear theyre equiped to. The only example of an addon that gets used up without using up the gear item as well is brand new part.

• semaj_leachim
    Options

Or anything that heals a state or completely heals, in which case the add on is lost too.

Nobody is keeping anything too wonderful or game changing. Advantage? Sure, but I dont think its game breaking

Besides, I'm sure an ring tweak would come with it.

• LordGlint
    Options

@semaj_leachim Instaheals consume the rest of the charges on the medkit, using up the medkit. Im mostly just looking at the fact that an increase in bloodpoints will cause things higher end toolboxes to become more readily available, which would of course speed up gen times more than they currently are. Like i said to Clogwench however, we'll just have to see what this does for the balance of the trials, and hope that if it DOES cause a major shift, the Devs will act quickly.

• semaj_leachim
    Options

At worse, ruin and thana will become staples at all ranks and the game will be miserable.

Er.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,003
    Options

Honestly, a 2k guarantees a lower rarity addon be kept, 4k guarantees both be kept. Then not only does it even item loss/gain, but then this new BP boost becomes a bandaid to how hard it is to farm for survivors.

• Commander_Riker
    Commander_Riker Member Posts: 23
    Options

Here's my issue with the BP increase. Killer is the harder role to play. It's difficult, and more stressful than playing survivor and therefore should be more well rewarded.

• Lmronby
    Lmronby Member Posts: 339
    Options

Ruin is a staple; but I only ever see Thanataphobia on Legion

• semaj_leachim
    Options

I've seen some swetty gs and myers and legions out there. It really is an awesome combination to slow down survivors. Also extra as the hell.