Proper Way to Thank a Killer in Game?

Options

While it doesn't happen nearly as often as it did before EGC, there are instances where the killer is gracious enough to either guide the last survivor to the hatch, or let them escape through the exit gates. When this happens, I feel obliged to thank the killer for being kind. The problem is that there are limited gestures you can make in game, and they are virtually all considered toxic behavior. Typically, I do a very fast double crouch to show my gratitude, but I'm not sure that this is universally accepted by killers as a genuine thank you. I'm also a console player, so often times the killer has their messages disabled to prevent post game chat (and I honestly can't say that I blame them given the nature of many survivors). Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278
    Options

Looking up and down really does the job, nodding to them up in their face, Killers see it as a friendly gesture. Messaging them does work but t-bagging or just spam crouching doesn't do it really, it feels like the Survivor is making fun of you for letting them go. Nodding is top tier.

• PurvDaddy013
    PurvDaddy013 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Thanks for the advice! I knew I was likely insulting the killer by double crouching, despite that not being my intention.

• The_Trapper
    The_Trapper Member Posts: 186
    Options

Leave as soon as you can, say GG, move on.

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693
    Options

Double t tbag and nod at the gate. I love friendly killers, they deserve a place in heaven.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059
    Options

I feel bad every time a survivor does that.

"No take it back! Don't waste that perfectly good med kit!"

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,418
    Options

I usually give them my item, if i have one, as a token of my gratitude, otherwise i crouch and stare at the killer with my dead eyes 👀

• PurvDaddy013
    Options

This is how I feel too, but as a survivor! I run plunderers after rank resets to hoard high rarity items and I feel like dropping the item before you leave somewhat defeats the purpose. I wonder, would it be acceptable to drop the item, look up and down or point at them, and quickly scoop it back up before you leave?

• Ember_Hunter
    Options

I would give the item if they are gray ratings, not like I have 15+ gray medkits with all my characters....

• Trial_By_Scythe
    Trial_By_Scythe Member Posts: 61
    Options

I go for a Thank You message on PS4, hoping their messages are open. I'm not too familiar with gestures, I don't want to do something which could be considered disrespectful. I recently just learned survivors greet fellow survs with a double t-bag, Ii hate to think of how many people I've "left hanging" by not returning the gesture.

• PurvDaddy013
    Options

Totally fair, I wouldn't mind sacrificing any brown/yellow item. But if I get lucky and find a skeleton key or a rainbow map w/Plunderers... idk. I guess that is super situational anyways, since the chance of both the killer purposely letting me live and me finding a high rarity item isn't very high.

• PurvDaddy013
    Options

Thanks for the response, I appreciate your insight!

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

Sometimes when I know I pipped or I had good game, I let the killer kill me by pointing towards the hook. Same goes when I am the killer, usually I let two people go when I am certain I pipped. Rarely 3.

• Ember_Hunter
    Options

Neat. Though my emblem system is weird, so I would rather escape, though I would point at the hook and look at them to see if they want to hook me.

• PurvDaddy013
    Options

Definitely understand your reasoning, but wouldn't it just be better to take your 4000/5000 Survival bloodpoints and leave? After all, killers already earn more than survivors (or at least they do before 3.1.0), so the last hook really wouldn't be that great of a benefit to anyone? I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too selfishly?

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 412
    Options

I‘m playing killer on PS4 and I do understand a quick double crouch or single slow crouch as a „thank you“. Some players follow it up with a message saying that it was meant as a thanks not BM. Others just send a quick friendly message which is even nicer because I can write back a friendly reply and it makes me happy that we were both enjoying the match.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

If I pipped I don't really care about escaping if everyone left. If killer didn't had enough hooks or people dc'ed/escaped I would rather have him hook me if I did good. Why not? I like to make people happy if they were not toxic.

• PurvDaddy013
    Options

Fair enough, makes sense! I would've never considered pointing at a hook before. Thanks for the input!

• rantypaid
    rantypaid Member Posts: 41
    Options

Use the after match thumbs up.

If in game just look us in the eyes. We did it because we love you and like the way you smell. We wanted to be near you and you made that possible. Also, you better leave fast before I change my mind and decide you would look nice on a hook.

• fluffymareep
    fluffymareep Member Posts: 634
    edited July 2019
    Options

I usually do thank you t-bags or gift the killer my item (if I have one). That seems to get the message across. If a killer is kind and allows me to go through the rest of the game despite rage quits and DCs, I'll offer them a hook by running up to one and pointing, then t-bag and look at them. I'll also give them a thumbs up and thank them in the end game chat.

• miaasma
    miaasma Member Posts: 911
    edited July 2019
    Options

sometimes i'll crouch and look up at them, or turn to face them and nod a little. other times i'll wave them over to hit me out for points (a killer doesn't need to do anything gracious for this; as long as they weren't a super dick all game i like giving them the points)

if i have an item i don't really care about (like a toolbox, or a weaker medkit) i'll give it to them

if the killer had a really bad game and didn't do anything especially mean spirited i'll point at a hook and give him the hook/kill. looking at you, michaels who spawn on fractured cowshed

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

Escape then message them “Thank you” if their messages aren’t private.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

Usually, nodding or giving the killer your item is the proper way to thank them.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,001
    Options

Nodding is a general positive action, so use that.

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696
    Options

I've pretty much stopped giving the last guy the hatch, it happened around about the same time i turned messages off.

• toonrjj
    toonrjj Member Posts: 4
    Options

Played against a great killer today, minute into the match 2 survivors disconnected, which then changed into a mutual farm session before being allowed to escape. Killer was clearly good anyhow and would have lost if not that with little points.

• toonrjj
    toonrjj Member Posts: 4
    Options

As to thanks in game, my thanks was done outside the match. Knocked some pallets down and pointed at them to communicate what I was doing.

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948
    Options

As survivor, nod with your head, as killer, just down them and let them escape that way to prevent them from mocking you, you can get a "top 10 saddest anime goodbyes" like the one I got: