The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What were your misconceptions about the game when you were new?

2»

Comments

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

We all thought the wraith was called the banshee, and that he was actually a lady.

The alpha days were crazy times.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

Give him a classic sheet ghost cosmetic and call it the banshee

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

I thought that I only started with the Huntress.

I never bothered to scroll up on the Killer select screen and it showed it in such a way that Huntress was the only visible free character. I felt so stupid when I scrolled up finally.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

I thought "Exposed" meant the Killer could see you anywhere on the map.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582
  • Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607

Indeed, I would change the Status to Vulnerable or "You're screwed, man"

• No_Cluie_Louis
    No_Cluie_Louis Member Posts: 1,093

ummm... i have 1250 hours on the game, and i still thought that lol

• No_Cluie_Louis
    No_Cluie_Louis Member Posts: 1,093

I thought i was being really original and clever face camping with noed. Like hehe, why does no one else think of this, so i'd face camp every survivor i caught until death

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922

Honestly i didn't know a thing about this game, i initially only played in kyf for like 3-4 months and in all that time i barely learned to play. if you can imagine a bill acting like a rank 20 locker dwight that was me, deathly afraid of myers and freddy too.

then i started playing the actual game and got stuck at like rank 17 and couldn't rank up, decided to research what i was doing wrong and to actually experiment with playing killer...

suffice to say kyf left me with a ton of bad habits that were unlearned within a week.... don't run everywhere as an example, don't hop in lockers as soon as you hear heart beat and that you leave scratch marks and allll the things that alert a killer to your location

on the killers side of things i would constantly run loops wrong, or literally lose survivors in an open field, i was really blind, and i didn't have the best hearing tracking tbh (helps now that i have surround sound headset!) i also took a huge liking to unrelenting as i thought the only way to hit a person was to lunge...

and now all this time later i can consistently hit rank 1 survivor if i try, or even rank 1 killer (though i've only bothered to hit rank 2 because im too busy to play both these days even though i love both and consider myself maining both sides :)

Honestly my biggest mistake tbh was constantly saboing every hook with either sabotuer or a toolbox. i also think i got like 3-4 charecters teachables before i was even out of rank 16 survivor/18 killer..... i was hilariously bad looking back at it.

• Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263

I thought i was slick for standing next to a pallet and waiting for the Killer to come by and get stunned. 🤣

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,947

I thought being exposed meant that you could be spotted easy obviously my first couple games against myers confused me

• invira_zero
    invira_zero Member Posts: 229

Thought that being killer is easy.

• ba_tetsuo
    ba_tetsuo Member Posts: 330

I thought killer was the power role

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited July 2019

OMG HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO HIDE IN THIS GAME

• me using David and Bill as my mains with almost no teachable perks.
  • CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862

i thought myers was op because of no terror radius and oneshots and also that fast vaulting or entering lockers was "smart because killers wouldnt know", yeah... it didnt take long for me to realice

• rd_dex
    rd_dex Member Posts: 253
    edited July 2019

I thought exposed means the killer sees me from across the map through walls, so I just left the teammate on the hook and left after they just saved me from the hook, let's just say post game chat wasn't really nice.

I figured later what exposed means and one game I picked up a item from the ground and in that exact moment someone broke haunted ground totem and it said exposed: haunted ground and I thought the item I picked up was cursed or something lol.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

That's what I thought too, and I was always upset that the killer kept coming to me first xD

• Casm
    Casm Member Posts: 61

When I first started, I thought that ranks mattered. I was so innocent back in those days.

• Horror_Gaming
    Horror_Gaming Member Posts: 275
    edited July 2019

I thought the killer will always come straight for you when you messed up a skill check. So I would go hide in a locker. I spent a lot of time in lockers as a 20.

I also didn’t know about the scratch mark mechanic and wondered how the killer always knew that I ran to a locker during a chase when out of Line of Sight.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

Huntress was easy to play.

I was a rank 20 killer and rank 20 survivors tend to run in a straight line so getting hatchets was easy af.

Then I encountered survivor who looked behind them, zigzag in chases and more importantly knew how to juke. Really put me in my place as a baby Huntress.

I continued practicing and got good woth her but then Amanda came out and as a Saw fanboy Huntress got tossed aside.

Listen to Papi Volfa Amanda, Min and Susie are best girls also David, Joey and Jake are best bois.

Don't @ me

• Groxiverde
    Groxiverde Member Posts: 767

I thought DbD was a good game

• Larcz
    Larcz Member Posts: 531

I think as killer i need just a little practice to win on high ranks with some killers.

• pabloddiablo316
    pabloddiablo316 Member Posts: 84

That because Meg was an atheletic girl she would be faster then everyone else.

That I would have as much fun as my fav youtubers instead either loling a bit or raging at the game.

That Billy players were scum as they ALWAYS CAMPED

That the gaming community would not turn as ######### toxic as it has and made playing the game an exercise in temepter control 70% of the time

That I thought the devs actually cared here and they were not like Ubisoft and EA and going for our wallets every few days (the new cosmetics system and aurics fixed that one)

• Daniel101773
    Daniel101773 Member Posts: 277

I though my pallet vacuum was fine.... for about 3 days

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,140

Didn't know I could put different perks onto different characters so I stuck with the three perks tht came with said character. Didn't happen to me but went up against a wraith that try to put my friend on a hook tht got destroy after I got sacrifice on it. Keep in mind hangman trick wasn't released it yet.

• Maj33y
    Maj33y Member Posts: 236

I went in blind .. ( never watched anyone play it)

So I kept looking for the Exit gates and Searching the map for the Power Switch . I thought there'd be like a power room or a cabin to power the exits . Didn't know you had to finish all 5 gens first . 😂

Now with EGC it's changing too and I'm sure it makes confusion to new players

Another thing was The Gen Skillchecks . I was trying hard to hit the Great skill check zones and always waited for the Marker thing to take a full circle if it missed the great zone only for it to explode in my face every time .