The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why aren't enough people playing survivor?

DaS_only
DaS_only Member Posts: 656
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

Since weeks/months the killer Q times are insanely long at any rank. I even created another account to check rank 20-15, same results. And rank resets isn't helping at all, same long Qs.

I'm EU and tried it from morning till evening night, nothing. 10 minutes at least.

Comments

• DaS_only

Are you EU aswell? I don't have any luck with Q times, every day at any time 10+ minutes (just to have a 5 minutes match lol)

• The_Daydreamer
    The_Daydreamer Member Posts: 735

I am play in EU too and my Q Time is fine. Max. 20 seconds and thats it.

I was Rank 1 before the 13th and after that I was Rank 8 or something like that after I played some trials.

The same as killer.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

Devs have been gradually closing the difficulty balance between for some time. While survivor is still the more relaxing role, now it can be tough sometimes. Unfortunately, for a good ratio of survivors/killers they can't go perfectly balanced. People like easy games. If the remaining balance issues were to be fixed, there would be a lot less survivors and long ass waiting times for killers.

The other reason is BP, but survivor BP gain will soon be increased, so maybe at least this is gonna get fixed, giving some more incentive to play survivor.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

Low to mid ranks killer ques are horrible while in red ranks they are instant. I hope next patch gives people incentive to play more survivor as they are able to gain bp much easier.

• FredKrueger
    FredKrueger Member Posts: 265

East Coast PS4! I feel your pain. Can't get decent matches until at least 3pm here. Then, all the toxic SWF groups after 8pm. What a joy they are.

🤦‍♂️

• FredKrueger
    FredKrueger Member Posts: 265

Really? All I see is survivors crying because there SWF group didn't all escape, tried to rescue there friend instead of escaping, but paid the price for it, then blame the killer for camping, being toxic, tunneling, and not playing by the survivors rule book. Sound about right?

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

I'm not convinced there is a lack of survivors/too many killers as the matchmaking always took a hard hit every time they changed it to the new one.

Having saying that, the fact that killers were all given as many Grusome Gateaux as they could eat would certainly swing the player base towards playing killer.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited July 2019

It doesn't take many to move over to create a large imbalance.

20k players so you need 4k killer and 16k survivor.

If as little as 200 survivors move over to play killer that means you need 1000 more survivors. 800 to match with them and 200 to make up for those who switched over. Thats 5% of the playerbase due to a small amount moving over.

There isn't a quick fix for someone switching roles as it may be due to a multitude of reasons. Maybe its the gameplay, grind, too easy or hard for them, boredom of that role etc.

Post edited by twistedmonkey on
  • Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520

I guess playing survivor would be more fun, if survivors would be different in their abilitys. At the moment it is so imo, that you play 1 survivor and then nothing special comes anymore.

Would be nice if survivors would have special abilitys like killers. What know I... Maybe one survivors vaults faster, runs faster, repairs gens faster... Of course with drawbacks to balance this out.

The fast running guy as example should not really be good at gen repairing as example.

But maybe I see this wrong, - I am a killer main and can only say what I would like to see by survs.

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862
    edited July 2019

hard for lower ranks , i mean , red surv are still good and do well and decent. sadly, they arent the majority

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

Can we get some solid statistics about the population imbalance? Because this thread is full of people speaking with absolute certainty that this is the case and the reason for recent match-making issues.

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693

I agree, but I do fear the high ranks, since it seems so strict and requires that you be a professional to stay at the top. If there was a casual mode, I would play that all the time and keep my rank at green ranks, not too strict, not in a rank full of potential potatoes.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,189
    edited July 2019

I would imagine it's mostly because solo survivor can be rough, and most high rank killers compensate for high level, coordinated survivors by default to be safe (I'm guilty of it).

That being said, you don't need to run meta stuff to succeed as a solo survivor. I usually reach purple/red ranks with some combination of OoO, Head On, Quick and Quiet, DS, Unbreakable, Tenacity, and Stake Out. Survivor is more about playing smart and knowing where pallets and windows are than anything else. It's not so much a mechanical skill thing and more of a decision making thing, and I don't mean that in a negative way.

People complain that survivors have been nerfed, and maybe they have, but it was necessary and in no way prohibits solo survivors from succeeding with off-meta meme perks at high ranks. Compare that with a killer trying to do the same at red ranks and the result will often be very different. Survivor is still comparatively easy and way more chill, in my opinion.

• DaS_only
    edited July 2019

I personally don't take playing survivor serious anymore. It's to frustating if you take it competetive as solo, my team mates always make me tilting. So I meme around, use head on etc and play around with the killer. Probably that's what people drive away from playing survivor: the solo experience is just to frustating. Not because of the killer but more because of your team mates.

Post edited by DaS_only on
  • darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

That's a good attitude on it - a lot of sweaty killers could use that as well.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

Maybe they moved on to other games.

• PeepingPeacock
    PeepingPeacock Member Posts: 354

Killer takes a long time to que in low ranks because more people play them at those ranks, as you go up in ranks killer ques get shorter. So when rank resets happen it takes awhile for things to improve.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

@George_Soros I'd also like to add that the developers should make WGLF easier to stack (like getting a token for healing another survivor, on top of safe unhooks and protection hits) so that farming BP on a survivor becomes a bit easier.

There's literally nothing to lose there.

• Cassandra_Alexandra
    Cassandra_Alexandra Member Posts: 254

I've been playing 8 months now and have always been a survivor main, I am a horror fanatic and love the whole idea of trying to survive, the chases, etc. I especially like playing at night with all the lights off, etc. I try to create an atmosphere. Of course, toxic players can ruin that experience. I never thought I'd want to be a killer main, but lately for the first time I have been playing killer more often. Most times I am a nice killer. I just want to have fun and earn as many BP as possible so I keep track of how many times I've hooked each survivor so I can try for max hooks without killing them. Those matches were the best because everyone seems to be having fun and at the end I usually get close to 29K and survivors pretty high as well. The main reason for my wanting to play survivor less is the constant tunneling, camping, slugging, etc. I don't mind if it happens now and then, but lately it's been happening like 75-80% of my matches and that's just too much. I usually can't get past green ranks (PS4). Taking a break from playing solo survivor is a good thing for me.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

It's because Survivor get's dull for many people as someone who has played both sides I have been going towards the killer role more often because holding m1 on a generator for so many years has gotten dull and boring for me. While as killers have different powers and many different playstyles and if I get bored of one I can just play a different killer.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

This isn't fair; most of the killer complaints are about the survivor complaints.

If survivors stopped complaining, the forum would just be four Rick and Morty fans who play killer exclusively, highlighting the exact problems with the game using perfect equations, whilst using their spare hand to write a poem about it in ancient Greek.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

Well, I converted to killer for three reasons. Primary was the rediculous difference in BP. I ran several tests to see if it equals out over hours of play, but found the killer made more than 120% BP than survivor over 3 hour periods.

Then there was the boredom of survivor. Mixed into the boredom is a bunch of stuff - there was the M1 simulator and how some killers made that even worse. There was the incessant camping and tunneling that made it even more of an M1 simulation for those lucky enough to not be caught first. Then there was the constant changes to survivor, no e of which made it more fun to play.

The nerfs only solidified my choice. Now I only play survivor daily missions or when my wife wants to play.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,982

Main reason for ME personally:

I can play a killer match poorly and leave with between 16-18k.

I'd have to make it to the end of the match AND survive to get that same amount as survivor.

The majority of matches recently, I get tunneled or camped less than 2 minutes into the match and leave with 4k points.

Then you add the fact that half your teammates are trash, the community can be hella toxic, random lag spikes, broken ass hitboxes, and the fact that killer is more fun to play, it makes plenty of sense that you're finding less and less survivors.

I've run into way more BS in this game as a survivor than as a killer and I get tilted a lot more easily as survivor than killer.

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520

Well, with random lag spikes and hitboxes you have also to fight as killer. They are actual "fair" and annoy both sites :).

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,982

Until dedicated servers are put into place, lag is HEAVILY in favor of the killer since they host the game. Nice try though XD

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626

Because the game has started to be balanced around decent survivor-level play, Red rank survivors arnt the ones complaining, the bad ones are.

If you are having a tough time playing survivor, perhaps try to get better? I don't even mean that in a condesceding way, the game takes a long time to learn and the mechanics actually fool you into thinking you are skilled, when you are not.

Most survivors are actually trash, you only need to play a few games of killer at rank reset or at anything below rank 5 to see this, taking stupid routes, using pallets early, making dumb saves or no saves at all, a bizare complete shutdown of any attempt to do gens with ruin.

This does 2 things, it pushes new survivor players to either play killer, or quit, killer is hard but if yuo are trying to farm bloodpoints even a bad game still gets you a good return, when if you are new/trash you are going to end most games with 3-5k points as survivor.

There really insnt a solution, the game used to be balanced around rank 20 survivors, and as a result the decent players could utterly dominate any killer they came across with near perfect results, it wasn't everyone, but the good players at Rank 1 set the standard for what the game should be, everyone else either needs to get to that level of skill, or whine and complain about it.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

There is shortage of killers on ps4 eu.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620

Well, being survivor means you need to team work, you can be good but if your team don't want to work like one then you most likely will loss. I don't think I am a great survivor but can entertain a killer for a minute, sometimes more. A good team would do gens or clean totems but in the meanwhile most of them are with Urban Evasion.

I understand your point @ToastfaceKilla but as a solo you can be good, but you can't hold all the teamwork in your back. You still need to do gens in order to power the exit gates. I remember in rank 20 when I fist bought the game, even if the players didn't know how to play, they tried to unhook, tried to fix even if they fail so it was easier as you knew a teammate would likely try to save you.

Survivor is not a competition as much people can think, survivor is about team work but now some survs just don't do gens or anything to progress in the match (and now you have a tutorial, wich is more than I had the previous year so they start a match knowing how to play), you're good if there is only one that actually helps you.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

People can say any reason like killer is more fun, holding M1 is boring, bad teammates and so on but real reason are Bloodpoints.

If BP gain for survivors per match was increased and WGLF got some buffs with qol changes everyone would play only survivor since in high ranks they are the less frustrating role to play.

• DoubleTap
    DoubleTap Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2019

"The simplest solution is most likely the right one." - More commonly known as [ Occam's Razor ] :

Because Killer is easy-mode.

Anyone who says otherwise is either in denial or outright lying in order to protect their easy life from nerf.

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293

Boring objective, less points per match, lack of diversity, more grind for perks and being completely dependent on your team.

I'll stick to killer thanks. Even if I have to wait for 15 minutes.

• miaasma
    miaasma Member Posts: 911

rank reset screws up queues for everyone and is a net negative for the game

• Saerith
    Saerith Member Posts: 12

Because playing solo survivor ***** and now playing killer is a lot more EASY and LESS stressful, just remember the time when SWF take 30min+ looking for a killer these were a thing:

+ DS was insta, no conditions.

+ Infinites.

+ No pallets/windows limit on maps.

+ Double pallets.

+ Borrowed time for the unhooker.

+ Insta gen addon.

+ Insta blind.

+ Hooks not respawn.

+ NO BBQ.

+ NO Bloodlust.

+ Survivor's perks nerfs to kill the meta.

+ So many changes on killer's powers/addons buffing them.

+ And a lot of more stuff that I didn't remember rn...

You know the things that make some killers to make a strike to not playing killer.

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742

That's exactly how 90% of my solo survivor matches proceed and I'm totally sick of carrying 3 potatoes almost everytime.

• Heroiq
    Heroiq Member Posts: 1,134
    edited July 2019

getting bloodpoints are waay easier and faster as killer.

solo queue sucks (getting paired with trash teammates) and no friends to play with

trying the new killer. liked it. and kept playing it.

switched to playing killer(or other games) because playing survivor is becoming more annoying day by day because of toxic killers with broken add-ons and annoying perks (for example Prayer beads, NoED)

just some possible reasons.

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608

Playing survivor is a chore. You get less bp for it and 80% of the time you're either being camped or tunneled.

and thanks to the new hatch mechanics, the killers seem to take endless joy out of slugging you so you can lay on the ground until the entity eventually impales you... riveting gameplay.

I have always preferred killer over survivor, but now I absolutely refuse to play survivor unless it's with my friends, if I can just make sure ONE of them survives then I can pretend I'm having fun