POLL: Do you want the game to be darker and foggier?

Options

Would love to get your opinions :)

Comments

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options

Maybe if the dead zone tiles were foggier and darker to counter them being well empty space.

I do hate it when killers can see me walking from across the map when I'm in the middle of nowhere and they come at me.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919
    Options

Heck no.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options

It's pretty much 50 50. Variations of the same map in whatever way seem wanted. Maybe slight weather effects like wind or thunderstorms to give more atmosphere to each map.

Also making you think hmm wind or a survivor nearby or hmm thunder? Or was the killer making a noise nearby.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

No some maps have some dark spots anyway which is nice as it creates areas where juking is more viable. Thats a better way of doing things imo than making the whole map harder to spot survivors in.

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862
    Options

imo this game needs to reduce tr to 0 get a ######### ton darker and nerf every aura reading perk to oblibion to be scary so yes

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

It's funny though how killers are more afraid of the dark than survivors :)

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Brighter would be nice.

Alternatively you could make the game darker for survivors (so it would be scary) but keep the darkness it has now for killers.

• Jesya
    Jesya Member Posts: 1,101
    Options

I think it should be somewhat darker and foggier for survivors. Since we are playing in the killer's realm they should have a slight advantage with that- being as it would remain as it currently is.

However if you are talking as dark as part of the game map is-- no thanks. Certain areas I feel like I'm walking into walls because I cannot see a thing.

• Tsulan
    Options

@NMCKE thank you!

I love to play survivor against Myers. Great jump scares. I´d love to have more situations like that, where i feel afraid of the killer (horror game) instead of trying to find ninja claudettes.

I remember the old darkest moonlight offerings. Where claudettes where invisible.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059
    Options

Darkening the maps would be the ultimate Blendette buff

• Ark_the_Bonsai
    Ark_the_Bonsai Member Posts: 867
    Options

Currently, if they chose to make maps darker, reorienting the game around stealth (hide and seek) rather than the chase based game it currently is (freeze tag), they'd have to rework the entire game. So no, I'm fine with it being lit up. Though I wouldn't be opposed to them adding more gloomy weather effects. Make certain maps darker but remove some more of the safe tiles and have lightning flashes or something. But even that is risky for what little balance there is.

• Vampy
    Vampy Member Posts: 67
    Options

nVidia freestyle almost 100% eliminates fog no matter the density and brightens up the map considerably if you use the DePiP squad settings

Can literally see Blendettes in the darkest of corners like the sun is shining on her.. I don't know anyone not using it.. so it really doesn't matter about the darkness/fog

• Tsulan
    Options

I don´t use it.

Now you know one person who doesn´t uses it.

• thedevalex
    thedevalex Member Posts: 283
    Options

But like cmon, Ormond is literally set in the daytime... how is that spooky. The only time daytime was effective for spooky atmosphere was in texas chainsaw massacre

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

As survivor yes, it would really up the immersion and atmosphere.

Killer is alright, given the pov it can already be difficult visually.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Ormond needs snowing

• ZacKdbd
    ZacKdbd Member Posts: 99
    Options

Yes make it darker or more foggy. Especially if you use “thicken the fog” offering at least

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited July 2019
    Options

Gideon Meat Plant's basement is already a black hole.

But yes, some maps need it. Lery's would be a good example. Make it darker, include patches of darkness, and reduce the clutter and walls in exchange so that Huntress, GF, and Myers have a better time in it.

• Im2Shrewd
    Im2Shrewd Member Posts: 77
    Options

Not sure about terror radius but there are WAY too many aura reading perks on both sides, it’s kind of absurd.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

As a person with bad eyesight, I'd rather not strain my eyes any further with this game. If they add more fog or make the game any darker then I'm just going to start altering the lighting and fog volume through my graphics card settings.

It's fine where it is.

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited July 2019
    Options

On one hand, a Darker/foggier atmosphere would help the game feel more horror themed, and well "atmospheric". On the other hand, it would make spotting survivors as killer much harder than it already is, which in turn would mean they'd have to compensate by making survivors louder.

Personally I don't care, because I have trouble with my eyes that make survivors blend in with the environment no matter what if they are wearing darker cosmetics, and so I compensate for my lack of being able to see survivors in the vanilla engine settings by using Nvidia Freestyle. That way I can make the colors more vivid and less washed out, as well as a bit brighter so that dark clothed survivors don't fully blend in with the environment. Its not a perfect solution and even though I still have my "T-rex" moments where I can't spot a survivor holding still against an object, I am at least more decent with chases and spotting a survivor from a distance than I was before Freestyle was available.

So, no matter what they do to the engine, be it darkening, or brightening, I will always use Nvidia Freestyle to compensate since its the only thing that allows me to play decently with my disabilities.

(PS. Freestyle also comes with Colorblind correction options for those out there who have been asking for a colorblind setting in game.)

As a side note: They do need to darken the Ski Lodge and Freddy's Dream World a little regardless. Its hard enough seeing scratch marks and Auras on that map and with that character without Freestyle, with it, it becomes nearly impossible.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

Aura reading is the worst thing to happen to a game of hide and seek.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

Suddenly it's hide and seek again? Sorry but the worst that happened was that the collective decided it was catch instead of hidenseek and the devs supporting this change.

Also back on topc: add some bushes and we get some pseudo deathgarden levels of invisible survivors if we make this game any darker. Just without automatic rifles.

Jokes aside, not a very killerfriendly idea.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

I’ve literally seen Blendettes DC when they get the Ormond map. XD

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,084
    Options

A lot of people are saying it'd be impossible for killers to see Claudettes and the like, but Claudette's dark clothes(and others) have been brightened, and there was a video where noob3 got the bug in the game map and the killer was still finding him despite having the bug through hearing. He only couldn't hook him because he couldn't see the auras of hooks due to the bug. It's to a point right now where I see survivors quite often trying to hide because blending has been made so much easier to see. It just keeps making the game about chases and while the occasional chase is fun and exciting, extended chases aren't, for either side imo. The more killer friendly "finding hidden survivors easier" buffs that come out, the more it becomes about eliminating the middle man and getting immediately into chase after chase after chase, which becomes the entire game, chasing constantly. I enjoy finding hidden survivors, or making survivors think I didn't see them when I did and then hitting them. I also enjoy evading a killer through stealth, and losing them mid-chase by hiding when I find that moment when I can. I'd support a darker and spookier map. There could be things to buff killers to adapt to the new setting(or old setting honestly).

• Alfred
    Alfred Member Posts: 272
    Options

Time to ban Nvidia...

Cannot wait for solution which completely filter out chase music...

• BembridgeScholars
    BembridgeScholars Member Posts: 68
    Options

darker would be nice :/

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784
    Options

Definitely not.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

No. I was there when it was darker and foggier and it was a pain in the ass.

• Heroiq
    Heroiq Member Posts: 1,134
    edited July 2019
    Options

a different idea:

do you remember the new moon offerings and what they used to do to the map?

return them. and restrict them to be only used by the killer and affect only survivors.

aaaand most importantly. fix low settings, (it's broken. you can see red stain thru half the walls and spot survivors from across the map easily).

• Maj33y
    Maj33y Member Posts: 236
    Options

Yes ... They pumped up Survivor groan and Breathing , Foot step noises so if they increase something they should do it simultaneously ... If they decrease one the other should go down with it .

Or else it'd be unfair to one side.

• thedevalex
    Options
  • anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

I'd be interested to see the game darker and foggier to give it much better atmosphere, however if that were to happen scratch marks would need to be improved, and some of the existing issues that happen need to be fixed.

It'd be cool to see a very brief aura highlight when a chase begins. Not like aura reading, more like the white highlight of dreamworld or stalking. Just to remove that elements of having a survivor and for some reason (corn) not being able to register them on the screen.

• AIG1992
    AIG1992 Member Posts: 98
    Options

Being darker just makes it harder for the killer, so hell no.

• DBDbuildsYT
    DBDbuildsYT Member Posts: 1,042
    Options

not for killers, ABSOLUTELY not!

Killers are already visually impaired by a stupidly narrow field of view

• thedevalex
    Options

They could always increase the killer FOV alongside

• thedevalex
    Options

@Peanits can you guys darken ormond lighting?

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Yes! ofc, its Dead by Daylight not, Pallet Loop in Sunshine.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Options

Darker? No. Foggier? Yes.

• thedevalex
    Options

Think about it, the maps are literally illuminated only by moonlight yet they look like they're in the daytime

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

So additionally to not being able to hear the sirvivors, we should see them either?

Nope. Not for killers atleast.

Narrow fov, perpetually bugged sounds and then even darker maps?

• NullSp3c
    NullSp3c Member Posts: 765
    Options

I think that the game should be darker and foggier on some maps, but make shadowborn as basekit so people don't abuse the killer's lack of view.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

Absolutely, I turn down my own screen brightness to attempt this.

Only on Survivor though

• thedevalex
    Options