Why is Stream Sniping not punishable?

Options

Comments

• Jonathanskilz
    Jonathanskilz Member Posts: 403
    Options

@edgarpoop that dont prove annything it hapend to me a few times and i dont stream.

• ColgateAdvancedWhite
    ColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 616
    Options

It is quite difficult to accurately tell who is stream sniping or not

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    edited July 2019
    Options

If a streamer has an issue with someone joining their lobby...

They quit the lobby then cover their screen and search off camera... and fill the gap with their entertainment.

Simple.

They are playing a game they didn't make to make a living off it... so entertain.

Some like the snipers as it causes their chat to wake up sometimes.

Get sniped during the match... too bad.. remember them so you don't ready up with them again. Life is so tough sometimes.

You take the good with the bad.

• MySpaceBarsBroken
    MySpaceBarsBroken Member Posts: 167
    Options

Why waste time discussing this when thousands of people use lag switch regularly. Why is there literally no existing punishment for lagswitch, but if you dc against a lagswitcher, you can get banned for unsportsmanlike behavior. Lmao.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

The last time I wen't against a lag switcher was probably last summer in July, not sure if its lag switchers but I would still check with your ISP.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    Options

lagswitching is not as common as people make it out to be.

Its usually dsync, latency, or lag - yet people like creating fake news out of it

• KaoMinerva
    KaoMinerva Member Posts: 451
    Options

How is this even a real issue? Lol

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited July 2019
    Options

While players that grief should be dealt with you are putting the whole responsibility onto the players where there are tools to combat the problem that some streamers refuse to use.

Then there is the amount of reports which could be filled clogging up the system even more as they need to watch whole videos on the problem.

While tru3 may be doing certain community perks there is nothing to say he has to show them on screen before the game it could be sent to him by his mods in private then announce it in chat once the game has started. If he is being griefed in game constantly as they know who he is well that's not something easy to sort as you can check steam for who you get going agaisnt so you should also message them about the problem.

While this whole scenario is scummy it's not the devs problem and again this whole argument should be directed at Twitch themselves not the devs of any game or steam imo as it is Twitch who do not allow those streamers to ban players from viewing them at all.

The devs don't ban for sniping that is all anyone needs to know. There is no need to be rude to the devs when any anger or discussion should really be directed towards the root of the issue which is the streaming platform in this case Twitch.

You should never expect any game dev to pay for extra resources to go through more reports to combat a problem so easily fixed by the actual platform for every single game with a simple click on the name and ban from viewing option.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    Options

Players like that are called griefers, they exist in every online game and thats how they find pleasure, not gonna change any time soon. You can see by the excitement in their posts they really get off on ruining someones time. Its best to LOL it off and move on, do not provide them with encouragement, if they come in your stream chat just ignore them and ban them, do not engage them.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    Options

"...and would move into frame, face the camera, and nod whenever I moved my camera"

Wow, that's just.... I hope it does not happen to the streamers I watch. That would not be funny at all.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

Haha, man, imagine Behaviour going on a tear, banning people based entirely on this kind of super-loose, anecdotal evidence. I sincerely hope you never have to prove wrongdoing in a real-life court of law if this is how you think, lol.

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

Unless you got ttv out there. You getting streamsniped. And there’s nothing you can do about it.

• BDS22
    BDS22 Member Posts: 146
    Options

If you're getting sniped a lot then I would suggest putting a delay in your stream.

• DaS_only
    DaS_only Member Posts: 656
    Options

For days? Are you mod of tru3ta1ents channel? He's getting recently stream sniped into oblivion, nearly always the same 2-3 people are trying to get into his lobby and snipe.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640
    Options

Simply don't put twitch in your name or profile

that simple

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943
    Options

It sucks for people like Tru3ta1ent cause he never puts his twitch in his name, changes his name frequently and the stream snipers he plays against obviously have set ups to directly counter what he does and it's always the same people.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

When u choose to stream this game.

U accept the risk. Just how it is.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773
    Options

1: "don't stream" is literally victim blaming. You're basically saying it's completely ok too stream snipe. How is it the streamers fault for trying too enjoy the game because of a troll who wants too ruin it?

2: It's hard too tell, but not impossible. I know Tru3 has the same person constantly stream snipe him. Plus, if you get the same person's account in every game and they run a build that completely counters you for multiple games, it's pretty obvious then.

3: It's ban-able in pretty much every other PVP game like Overwatch and Fortnite, why is DBD an exception?

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998
    Options
  • theArashi
    Options

Is it a streamer with stream tag in their name or one of the actual bigger streamers?

Smaller streamers will have a delay on their stream regardless as you have to have bigger channel to even be able to decrease delay.

Thanks to MLGA if someone wants to snipe, he will be able.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

Why don't people stream with a delay

If u have a 2 min delay they won't see lobby till your in game already.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773
    Options

I never said it wasn't hard too prove, but there are some cases where people snipe for the purpose of ruining a person's game, but they aren't ever punished. I understand not wanting too ban someone who did nothing wrong, but at the least add a block system in game, where a person, either survivor or killer, can block someone can not have them show up in their lobbies. This way, if a streamer does think someone is sniping, but can't prove it, they can block them and the potential sniper can't get in another game with them and ruin it. Either way, there should be some solution other then "it's out of our hands."

• theArashi
    Options

While these are perfectly valid answers I sometimes see people on streams that jump into the lobbies with names like: Stream sniping... That appear in almost every game that streamer is playing.

These kinds of cases may be looked at.

I don't think it's possible to assume that someone that appeared in 90% of the games of the streamer is doing it by accident. Even at rank 1 with it's long lobby times it doesn't happen.

Other solution would be to set a lock in matchmaking that prevents same people from playing against each other for 2-3 games and problem solved.

• MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky
    MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky Member Posts: 571
    Options

But you should have replay logs of someones certain gameplay point of view? You know, like CSGO overwatch right? right?! All you have to do is sync up both gameplays and then match up what X does and how Y reacts to what X did.

It makes it worse though how you give your streamers fog whispers but don't care to enforce the rule of not stream sniping. You want your fog whispers to give good reports of your game and information on what needs to change? Then start taking care of your fog whispers, or get rid of your fog whisper system if your not gonna care for your streamers. Stream snipers make it hard for streamers to be able to fully experience a game or gather good data because it ruins it.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181
    Options

Uh, except burning someone's house down and killing their pet is an EXTREME comparison which is also illegal. Taunting someone with flashlight clicks and teabagging in game and having your twitch name in your account isn't illegal and it doesn't justify cheating.

"Punish them for it" is just a fancy way of saying "cheating." It's not just playing dirty, it's outright cheating, which is bannable. However, there really is no way for the devs to punish it.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

Your best bet is to add a significant delay.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,681
    Options

Im just saying if you put your TTV in your name or on your profile then it's your own fault that you're getting stream sniped.

It'd be like if you saw a walmart sign letter hanging dangerously and then decided to stand under it and wait for it to fall so that you could sue walmart for a load of money. If the court can prove that you purposefully stood there, to get a reason to sue walmart, you're not going to win the lawsuit.

In the same vein, if you publicize the fact that youre a streamer to the very people you're playing with and they use that information to gain an advantage and that upsets you, maybe you should consider doing something to prevent the opposite team from knowing you're a streamer or set a delay so that the stream doesn't help them.

It's different if you get sniped even though your in game name is different from twitch with no obvious link between the two, but if you don't even try to protect yourself from it you have no right to complain about it.

• JESUS_CHRIST
    JESUS_CHRIST Member Posts: 313
    Options

I watched a few videos of streamers I played against over the weekend and one said I was 100 percent stream sniping because I bumped into him in the corn field. It happens but so does paranoia.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

@ShrimpTwiggs yeah lol I'm being disingenuous there. I find most streamers are such clowns, I have a hard time resisting to make fun of them. Of course streamsniping is very literally cheating. But Peanits did a great job explaining how it's impossible to control, so they don't ban (presumption of innocence, makes sense).

And then there's the argument that if you put your purse on a train seat and fall asleep for an hour, you're somewhat responsible if it gets stolen. It's still on the thief, but it's hard to deny your own stupidity there. So, if someone doesn't want to be streamsniped, best way is not to stream.

• Krystress
    Krystress Member Posts: 52
    Options

Just change your name often and avoid streamers. I never play with ttv survivors for this reason.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

Being targeted is bad no matter who you are.

• JakConstantine
    JakConstantine Member Posts: 118
    Options

I can see both sides being valid here. The only incident I saw which a person should have been punished for this was when Tru3ta1ent got stream sniped by a toxic survivor who admitted he did it because Tru3ta1ent was tunnelling and camping (which wasn't true). (Lastly yes there a video of it, but no I'm not putting on here cause the snipers info is on it). The fact he admitted to it is enough, but other than that I can see why the devs can't prove it's the same person.

To be honest if there's streamers who had this the issue it would be best for them not stream the game or for a while. It may hurt both the streamer and devs advertising wise, but if they can't do anything about it that's the only option to choose. Sorry to say.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

Devs can't even give simply quality of life changes, like FIXING the SB bug, what makes you think they'll invest in ways to help against stream sniping?

• Deltin
    Deltin Member Posts: 240
    Options

Or you could see if the one user keeps getting into your game like 90% off the time and give them a cool down on searching for games?

• Jdsgames
    Jdsgames Member Posts: 1,109
    Options

Let me demonstrate your logic:

Oh you chose to go to the club? Deal with the consequences of being drugged and kidnapped. You are blaming the victim. That is clearly not a solution to the problem. @EntityDispleased

• purebalance7
    purebalance7 Member Posts: 90
    Options

Except in the case of Tru3 that's happening to him right now it's BLATANTLY obvious. Sniper usually has a flashlight(and clicks it constantly which needs to be removed by frontloading the battery usage to the activation rather than duration) and on occasions across several days or weeks has been practically stalking him both in game and stream and somehow just always coincidentally has the perks that counter him. Playing doctor? Shocker he suddenly THIS game has Calm Spirit when any others he did not.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

Except streaming is a career for some people so simply not streaming shouldn't be the solution. And it isn't really comparable to leaving your purse unattended since streaming isn't irresponsible like falling asleep on a train when you have valuables. Can you imagine if we used this logic for other stuff? Don't want to get in a car accident? Don't drive. It's that easy! I mean, if you chose to get in a car and drive, you're partially responsible, right?

But you do have a point that it's out of the devs hands. But if we just brush it off and never do anything about or try to work out a better solution, things will never improve.

• George_Soros
    Options

@ShrimpTwiggs it's still a minor issue. Stream delay solves most of the problem, as for perk loadout, they don't win you the game. CS is useful against Doc, but not that much.

But mostly, streaming as a career? Why would anyone want that as a career instead of doing something productive? Honestly, the sooner a streamer is fed up with trifles like this and finds a real job, the better.

This whole streamsniping thing is not the game's problem, not the devs', not the community's, just some guy's who by the way has all the tools available to prevent it.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    edited July 2019
    Options

"Find a real job"

1. Definition of a job:a paid position of regular employment.
    2. synonyms:position of employment, position, post, situation, place, appointment, posting, placement, day
    3. 2.
    4. a task or piece of work, especially one that is paid."she wants to be left alone to get on with the job"

"A task or piece of work, especially one that is paid." Yeah, streamers get money for what they do so it's a job whether you want to believe it or not. I guess it's only a job if you hate it, eh?

• George_Soros
    Options

@ShrimpTwiggs I don't want to discuss this here, it'd turn into flames.

My point is, streamsniping is the streamers' problem. They should deal with it. Hey, isn't True one of the most shining example of a streamer who thinks of himself as a legend? I mean, even his name... Surely he could deal with a streamsniper, regardless of their unfair advantage?

• ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

There's nothing to discuss. Streaming and getting paid for it falls in the exact definition of a job so it's a job. It's as simple as that.

And brushing streamsnipers off as the streamers problem to deal with is up to you. You're right that it isn't your responsibility to deal with it. But I think that it can't hurt to discuss more ways of dealing with the issue rather then enabling it.

• MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky
    edited July 2019
    Options

Also I would love to know where he has ever said that he thinks himself as a "legend" and his name is not an excuse, but if you are gonna go with that, then your telling a lot about what you think is right to you, at most, he ever just says that he just has more common knowledge and better understanding of the game then most people, and as well he does acknowledge that other people have a better or same level of understanding as he does, but he never said that he considers himself a legend, so I don't know where you got that, also, he does have the fog whispers, so, that should tell you why he talks a lot about the games balance.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited July 2019
    Options

Streamers are not children. A better example would be a construction worker neglecting to wear a helmet and then complaining that something heavy was dropped on him and he was injured.

There are tools to mitigate stream sniping that you should use if you're afraid of being sniped (or are, in fact, being sniped). If you do not make use of those, that's nobody's fault but your own.

EDIT: To be clear, the snipers are to blame for sniping, but the streamers do have options to stop them.

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814
    Options

Dbd is and never will be competetive game. Its too random.

• George_Soros
    Options

@MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky a child is defenseless, a gamer in a game is not. All he has to do is to beat the streamsniper in a series of games, and everyone will be happy. Especially crazed fanboys and girls.

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    Options

A streamer is an entertainer. Just as any Actor or Actress in movies, television shows, ect. Going to tell them to “get a real job” as well?

Secondly, Tru3 has told everyone MULTIPLE TIMES. He made his name when he was 14 years old and the whole replacing letters with numbers was a fad then. He stuck with it after all these years. Now people like you use it as a way to attack his personality and him.

Sounds to me like you have a personal axe to grind here, and are being totally disingenuous with your arguments simply talking out of spite.

• George_Soros
    Options

@SovererignKing "Sounds to me like you have a personal axe to grind here, and are being totally disingenuous with your arguments simply talking out of spite."

True.

• MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky
    edited July 2019
    Options

So all someone has to do is just beat the stream sniper, and that magically makes all stream snipers stop? good logic, I like that. Happy endings

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • George_Soros
    Options

@MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky again, the child comparison is wrong, there is very little an abused child can do, unlike a streamer. And yes, if he defeats the sniper, preferrably multiple times, he'll stop. Trust me on this.

That's what one has to do if abused by someone else: hurt them so much that they'll stop. It's both effective and fun. Definitely beats crying for outside help (though I don't know if True actually wanted the guy banned, or it's only his fanboys and fangirls campaigning for it).