Survival Points No Longer Awarded Per Time Survived

Options
Visionmaker
Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

According to Peanits:

FOLLOW-UP

In this developer update, we mentioned our intentions to award survival points based on the time spent in the trial. A side effect of this change would have been to lower the amount of points awarded for escaping, since those points would be distributed through the new scoring event. During our internal testing, concerns rose over players remaining in the trial longer than necessary in order to maximize the amount of survival points they could earn. This was not something we wanted to encourage, so the change was reverted before the PTB launched.

We are currently re-evaluating this change and will share more when we have an update. In the meantime, the points awarded for escaping the trial have also been reverted to their previous value.

So, in fear of this concept being completely shafted because it wasn't absolutely perfect, I want to discuss ways to improve this idea.

General goals and reasoning:

• Equalize BP gains to encourage playing survivor by uncapping Survival BP gain.
  • Encourage survivors to survive as long as they reasonably can, rather than being more profitable to die on hook to start a new game.
  • Make survivor's BP gain more consistent and reliable, rather than concentrated on a singular event.

What BHVR proposed:

• Incrementally gain survival BP per x amount of time.
  • Reduce Survived scoring event BP to 4K.
  • No further information.
  • Result: Survivors needlessly prolong games to squeeze BP out of the system.

What I propose:

• Implement new scoring event/subcategory: "Still alive..." that rewards survival BP per x amount of time at a maximum of 3K BP (or X minutes).
  • Implement new scoring event: "Hope!" that rewards the remainder of the 3K BP (from the "Still alive..." subcategory) for being alive when the first Exit Gates is opened.
  • Implement new scoring event: "Harbinger" that rewards a bonus 1K to the survivor who begins End-Game Collapse.
  • Implement new scoring event: "Rescued" that rewards 1K every time you are saved from the hook.
  • Reduce Survived scoring event BP to 4K.
  • Remove or relocate all other survival BP gains such as self-care, breaking out of killer's grasp, etc.
  • Remove struggle event scoring.

Intended results:

• Allows survivors to attain 8K survival point cap.
  • Puts a limit to how long a survivors need to loiter.
  • Encourages greedy survivors to begin the End Game Collapse.
  • May lure survivors to give up at least one hook to the Killer.
  • Eases the pain of being farmed on hook (e.g. farmed victims don't even get struggle points).
  • Encourages survivors to allow themselves to be rescued rather than die on hook.
  • Makes it, on average, easier to gain survival BP just by playing seriously.
  • Simplify survival scoring.
  • Achieve all three general goals.

Thoughts?

Do you have a simpler way to improve the survival category?

Or do you think this concept is doomed to end up in the gutter like the anti-camping attempt?

Comments

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

I like it

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options

Good job. Would be a well-received change.

• Visionmaker
    Options

Thanks fam. I pray to the DBD sky daddies for more BP.

In hindsight, maybe I should've posted this in PTB feedback(?) or suggestions.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

While your changes seem reasonable, (adding half of the bp/s to a specific event) theres two scores i dont quite understand:

• Harbinger, triggers at the same time as your new Hope!-score and is more importantly just an extension of the gate opened score.
    • "Rescued" and the interpretation that "Harbinger" triggers when the hatch is closed seem weird. Survivors shouldnt be rewarded for failing to do stuff.

• Visionmaker
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Raptorrotas

It's done to give a little extra BP to push survivors to start the EGC over leaving gates at 99.

The gate opening scoring is not enough incentive partially because it is tied to the Objective category, which is easily maxed with Prove Thyself, co-op, gen rush. Also, the BP for the gate opening event is earned through progression (i.e. 99ing the switch earns 99% of the BP), rather than completion. With that said, changing the gate opening scoring event to be only earned at completion would accomplish something similar.

Harbinger isn't awarded to the survivor if they get the hatch. It given to the survivor that starts the EGC. If, for example, the killer closes the hatch, it's the killer who started the EGC.

For the Rescued event, in part it is because struggle points are removed (making it pointless to hang on when the game is already lost), and to encourage survivors to be rescued than kill themselves on hook.

Suffering through failure needs to be made more appealing than D/Cing or intentionally dying on hook to start a new match. Furthermore, the game is designed for 2 survivors to die each match on average. Being hooked isn't necessarily failure. It is, to a large degree, expected and intended. Letting yourself die in the first minute of the game is not. So yes, ironically, some failures need to be rewarded because it is often more profitable to play abnormally by giving up and ruining the game for everyone else otherwise.

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Your idea seems reasonable. I didn't see that post from Peanits. Now I'm questioning how long it'll take for them to find a solution.

Because until then, there's no reason to play survivor for me. It's already a mess playing solo.

• Visionmaker
    Options

Yeah, it is disappointing how little attention was paid to it.

Yep, solo survivor doesn't really have much going for it especially after rank reset when we're thrown back into potato tiers.

• lindenis
    lindenis Member Posts: 60
    Options
  • anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Personally I can't understand why escaping is 5k instead of 7 or even the full 8k. Survival score events are pathetic and it's basically impossible to cap them even getting every score event possible.

• Visionmaker
    Options

And the survival struggle points aren't even 1k. It's some weird ass amount like 891.

It's a tragedy.