The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why is Stream Sniping not punishable?

13»

Comments

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

Just think of it as the streamer having all the downsides of Object of Obsesion and none of the upsides. The ultimate challenge! You are welcome

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687

Not only is punishing stream sniping completely unenforceable, it doesn't need to be. Streamers have everything at their disposal they need to completely negate stream sniping. Should they choose not use those tools. The fault is none but their own.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    edited July 2019

I like the analogies some people are using LULs

Comparing a discussion about stream snipers... to children being abused.

Good one.

I don't understand how people can compare apples and oranges and think they are the same.

I've seen some dumb posts before and even made a few myself, but that one took the cake here.

by this logic you mean this.. by that logic you mean that... garbage.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

We all can agree that the best streamers are the ones that stay as spectators after they get sacrificed or killed first. Cheers to the ones that focus their camera on the survivor that stay hidden waiting for the hatch.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

So you run into a theatre yell "FIRE" then run out and hide?

Maybe you shouldnt say inflammatory trolling statement you know to be an insult just to derail a thread before retreating?

I think with a name like george Soros youre just here to troll anyway.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

@DrDeepwound, no, not only trolling. Just mostly. But you gotta admit, the whole "problem" of streamsniping presented here is just some undignified bellyaching about something that's easily preventable, and, while scummy, not a big deal to begin with.

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192

Can we stop using abuse and kidnapping as an analogy for someone cheating/or being cheated out of a video game win!

I have no horse in this race, i honestly don't care one way or another, but use better analogies that don't involve the words 'Victim Blaming' where they aren't realistically applicable.

Jeez

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,669

Please, refrain from using that kind of analogies for something happening in a videogame, it's extremely disrespectful.

If you wanna keep discussing about this topic, do it in a respectful and constructive way, thank you.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited July 2019

Why is this post still going? I'd bet none of those complaining have actually contacted twitch themselves.

Stop blaming game devs for a problem that lies with twitch.

I'll say it for the fourth time in this thread.....

Twitch could easily solve it by allowing streamers to ban players from viewing their stream but they don't. Direct your anger towards them and stop badgering devs of a game when they explain the problem can lead to possible false bans.

The problem with banning a person for one streamer is that all then want it done no matter how obvious it may be in one scenario. Plus for the extra reports to go through it can cost more money to each individual game dev to handle them.

Go to twitch and fight for your loved ones if you want a this change to happen.

Get onto them so they allow the banning of IP's (max week only due to dynamic IP scenarios), emails, usernames etc and then the power is put into the hands of the streamers.

Stream sniping is a problem and a scummy act but it's not on the game devs to sort out a streaming platforms lack of banning options.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

Banning specific people is a good idea, but can't they just make a different account? And I'm sorry if this is wrong, I don't use Twitch very much, but can't you watch streamers without being logged in?

• ActualPotatoBtw
    ActualPotatoBtw Member Posts: 52

And what exactly counts as harassment and griefing and ruining the game experience? I've watched one streamer play against a survivor that was teabagging (that's it, that was the only thing they did) and they called it griefing and harassment and said they are going to report that person to the devs.

Stream sniping (or let's be honest, playing against a streamer) doesn't seem to be bannable by itself, but what's the difference between stream sniping and harassment, griefing and ruining someone's game experience? Can someone give any examples?

• George_Soros

@ActualPotatoBtw devs give a pretty clear and straightforward definition of "griefing": it is when someone PURPOSEFULLY and REPEATEDLY targets a specific player, using tactics or a playstyle that, while legit and not bannable, is considered scummy (facecamping, tunneling, not hooking them but let them bleed out instead, lots of flashlight spamming, teabagging and more). Emphasize: REPEATEDLY. It actually takes a lot of effort, because you'd have to constantly leave lobbies and join new ones if you want to get into a given player's lobby. You'd have to work real hard on it if you wanted to get banned for griefing, and obviously, as a survivor, you could only do it against a streamer (so you can see you're in their lobby).

So the definition is quite specific, which is good: no one should be banned except if their "guilt" is proven beyond doubt, and the offense they committed is REALLY serious.

As far as I see it, devs perform well in this: while I'm quite unhappy how lenient they are about bans for DC (disconnects do much more harm than "griefing"), griefing is really not that big of an issue. It's simply too hard to follow someone on purpose and screw them every game. Plus, there's those of us who enjoy it: some of us LOVES getting into games with people who were rude, offensive etc. towards us in previous game(s). It creates drama :)

Some streamers fail to recognize such attempts as a challenge. Their choice I guess, but I think it's the wrong one.

• ActualPotatoBtw

Wait, since when is teabagging or flashlight clicking or literally anything except using game-breaking bugs or exploits considered scummy? Did the devs really say that teabagging and flashlight clicking etc. becomes bannable when combined with "sniping"? And does anyone in the game actually see bming as griefing? I see cocky survivors 50% of my killer games but I don't go and report people for griefing because bming shouldn't be classed as griefing.

So, from my understanding, it is only bannable if someone is "targeting" a specific user while also ""griefing"". And what about the people that "snipe" streamers without bming?

• Toecutter
    Toecutter Member Posts: 56

Brilliant and i did not even know ######### stream sniping was until now :)

• George_Soros

@ActualPotatoBtw teabagging itself is definitely not "scummy", and neither is flashlight spamming. Let alone bannable. If you continuosly do it to a new player, with the purpose of driving him mad and follow him through matches, then MAYBE this could be griefing (which IS bannable, as long as you can report it with proof, which is btw unlikely), but streamers are supposed to be experienced, so it shouldn't count either. This whole "toxicity" thing is overblown anyway... it's just there are too many super sensitive players who get butthurt way too easily, and surprisingly, streamers are the worst.

Bming can mean a lot of things, obviously wishing someone cancer, suggesting they should kill themselves, are usually bannable (I think), and for some odd reason, racial/homophobic slur too. None of these should be, but hell, these Canadians are softies. Other kinds of BMing (calling people names etc) are not, as far as I understand.

That is how I interpret BHVR's summary of bannable offenses. Stream sniping is clearly stated NOT to be bannable (thankfully). It's not a question of it being done simultaneously with "griefing". It's just not bannable. Griefing is, but that's something hard to prove, and most people don't bother to report, which is wise: you don't want them banned. You want to whoop their asses.

Anyway, mods/devs please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here somewhere.

• ActualPotatoBtw

Ah, ok, well I would really apprecate if of one of the mods or the devs confirmed what you said because this make sense. Though I'm still not sure if winning against a player more than once (let's say someone versed the same killer twice in 5 games they played) counts as harassment, griefing or targeting a specific player to ruin their game experience.

• George_Soros

@ActualPotatoBtw 

"Though I'm still not sure if winning against a player more than once (let's say someone versed the same killer twice in 5 games they played) counts as harassment, griefing or targeting a specific player to ruin their game experience."

Heh. Don't let your common sense cloud your judgement. MANY players cry foul when they lose, and they'll use any excuse, however ridiculous, to blame, or even report their opponent. BHVR (or their parents) spoiled them irreversibly.