Killers & Totems

Boss
Boss Member Posts: 13,614
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

Disclaimer: There's no TL;DR, as i believe it's all important.

The fact that Totems belong to Killers, and unlike Generators, the fact that they don't actually interact with them, makes it weird to me that you can't do anything with Totems physically.
So here's something...

New basic Killer ability: Stomping Totems

Now you can destroy a Totem of any kind by being close enough to it and pressing the SPACE button, or whatever button you use to break Pallets, damage Generators etc.

Let's say it uses the animation for breaking Pallets, so Nurse, Hag and maybe some others wouldn't actually stomp it, but you get the idea.

What does stomping a Totem do?

Well stomping Dull Totems does nothing but give you some Brutality Bloodpoints.

It would also actually weaken Hex: Thrill of the Hunt.

But stomping Hex Totems is very different.

First, it'll give you the same amount of Brutality Bloodpoints while also giving some Deviousness Bloodpoints.

Why it's considered devious to do comes up now.

Imagine you're running, oh i don't know, Hex: Huntress Lullaby.

You've, somehow, gotten to 4 Tokens and you're either afraid it'll definitely be cleansed now, or you're one of those of the opinion that 4 Tokens is better than 5.

You go to your Hex Totem and stomp it, gaining your Bloodpoints.

Now, Hex: Huntress Lullaby is on a cooldown of 60 seconds.

Hex: Huntress Lullaby functions exactly like normal, but is disabled once the 60 seconds are up.

Here's another example.

You just got 3 Tokens on Hex: Devour Hope, you don't really care about the 5-Token ability & you already revealed that you're at 3 Tokens?

Stomp the Hex Totem, gain immunity to being cleansed and have 1-hits for a minute.

Heck, maybe you can snowball them, hook 2, have them unhooked far away to get to 5 Tokens and still get a kill in.

Be careful when running multiple Hex Perks: You will NOT know which Hex Totem belongs to which Hex Perk.

You could stomp a Hex Totem that you don't want to stomp.

Maybe knowing which Hex Totem belongs to which Hex Perk should be a standard ability as well, but that's a story for an other day.

One more thing, it's about trapped Hex Totems.

Trapped Hex Totems are specifically there for you to trick Survivors into cleansing them.

Therefore, trapped Hex Totems will completely ignore this mechanic: You can't stomp them.

So basically Hex: Haunted Ground & the upcoming Perk won't be stompable.

This mechanic will also fit pretty well in Totem lore.

Survivors have to cleanse instead of stomp because playing with curses is dangerous, plus cleansing it means the ability is gone immediately.

Killers can stomp it because their lives are protected from curses by the Entity, plus it's not the proper way to disable a Hex, resulting in a situation that can be used strategically.

So, now that the mechanic is explained (though i doubt this is perfect), let's talk about 1 Perk to revolve around stomping Totems.

Monstrous Shrine

When i read "shrine", i'd think of the Totems rather than the Basement.
With the candles and skulls, they feel like cute lil' shrines, while the Basement just looks like a psychopath's...basement.

So what will Monstrous Shrine do then?

When stomping a Dull Totem, the Dull Totem becomes a trapped Hex Totem instead.

A Survivor who finishes cleansing this trapped Hex Totem will successfully destroy it, but is then caught in place by the Entity's spiderlegs for 6/7/8 seconds.

Additionally, stomping not-trapped Hex Totems will double the cooldown on Hex Perks.

That's it.

I know this is an abrupt ending to the post, but i got nothing else.

Again, no TL;DR as i believe it's all pretty important to read, to make the mechanic work.

Hope ya' like it! 😁

Post edited by Boss on

Comments

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693

Intersting, but stomping the totems sounds like Haunted Grounds but you activate it.i would probably prefer totem spots to be better or you can choose in the beginning of the game where to activate the totems.

• Nea_Death_Experience
    Nea_Death_Experience Member Posts: 316

The Entity puts those totems for a reason so in lore there is no reason for the Entities prospect to stop it. Join a different gang

• Boss

Better hiding spots results in more memorable locations.

More memorable locations results in experienced players learning their locations more easily.

Choosing in the beginning is a dead giveaway that you have Hex Perks, you'll either HAVE to run Hex-protection builds or accept it's gone once you commit to a chase.

But even then, it's not like we couldn't have one of those AND my idea, one won't break the other.

• orangegoblin
    orangegoblin Member Posts: 120

I like it, not sure about the getting trapped for 8-10 seconds, unless theres no notification that the totem got cleansed, but if there is I'd say 4-8 seconds would be a fair amount of time for the survivor to poop their pants then run to the hills or get stabbed.

• Boss

@orangegoblin Sure, that's fine, that was me just wanting to make Monstrous Shrine more useful. 😋

I'll edit the numbers...

• ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502

I too have considered killers having an ability to interact with totems and other objects. But, due to time constraints in a match....killers have to be on their toes.

It's not a bad idea per say....it's just the "stomping" doesn't quite fit with the idea that the totems are used to curse survivors in the first place. Perhaps if they were to "Ignite" it like the "kindle" feature on dark souls....I would think it would work better visually. (although, then devs would have to create a whole new animation.)

• hahmraro
    hahmraro Member Posts: 96

Thats is one of the best ideas I have seen in this forum. Congrats.