why do YOU main survivor?

Options

super friendly toxic clown main here.

first off i wanna say thank you to everyone who plays survivor. without you guys, us killer mains wouldn't be able to play, so i appreciate you. all of you... even the ones tea bagging at the exit gate (kinda....) :P

but i wanted to ask... why do you main survivor? whats the appeal? do you enjoy the immersion and sneaky aspect? do you enjoy being spooked and hunted? or do you just like being able to play with friends and be a part of a team?

~ a curious killer main <3

Answers

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

I love every aspect of survivor, killer kinda bores me.

• Mert_MK
    Mert_MK Member Posts: 674
    edited July 2019
    Options

I agree with this. If i ever play killer, it's mostly because i want points quick for something, not because i enjoy it. When the survivor BP changes go live i will probably play killer even less.

Edit: Most important, survivor isn't as stressful as killer is.

• toxic_clown
    toxic_clown Member Posts: 318
    Options

i love every aspect of killer, so i feel you. i love hunting my preyyyyyy, tracking blood, thinking like a survivor, the thrill of the chase.

do you guys like the stealth? like is it the feeling of having a killer be 2 feet from you and him walking away in confusion?

is it the feeling of losing a killer after being chased for 3 gens?

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

Stealth is pretty fun, I run no mither and Iron will along with spine chill so I can avoid the killer for awhile. Chases are also really fun.

• fluffymareep
    fluffymareep Member Posts: 634
    edited July 2019
    Options

While it's very (VERY) frustrating when a team doesn't vibe, it feels so good when you get a group of randoms (or at least one) who works with you and tries with you, despite the odds. It feels really good to be so close to death, but still somehow manage to get out. Stealth is a lot of fun, too. It's awesome to sneak past killers. Playing with friends is definitely the biggest pull, though. I would have days or even weeks were I wouldn't play DbD unless someone asked me to SWF with them.

EDIT: It's hard to explain, but I don't think I explained it well enough. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing much of anything after work, so I'll just lay around and watch YouTube. Like I'm tired or something. During those times, I'll sometimes play with friends if they ask me to play with them.

Post edited by fluffymareep on
  • My_Farewell
    My_Farewell Member Posts: 495
    Options

For me it's way funner to be chased than chasing people.

Btw, the "super friendly toxic clown" thing made my day 😂

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,174
    Options

I started playing this since March 2019, before that I check alot of vids of DBD & Last year Nightmare. I saw LYN gives survivor ability to fight back really hard to the point Killers can not do anything, and I dont like spawn after death make a mistake feel like nothing.

DBD, just a little mistake cost your life, and its the end, no going back. The feel of true hiding,evade,escape from the dangerous (that you can barely do anything), I like it.

• Chaddad2169
    Chaddad2169 Member Posts: 748
    Options

@toxic_clown I play survivor for the general feeling of helping my teammates and the rush of being chased by a bloodthirsty killer. There's nothing more intense than vaulting for your life with music blaring in your eyes and your heartbeat thumping, as well as your survivor's heavy breathing knowing they can't stop running. Also I like how you're all meant to work as a team and helping other survivors with generators as well as saving them feels necessary in my own survival capabilities. I also like survivors like Quentin and Detective Tapp because I love the films they're from. What about you? Why do you main killer and Clown for that matter?

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

Cause I get more control over the map.

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862
    Options

2 words 1 perk :HeAD oN... jk i just like to have the chance to rely on others if i mess up real bad also i like being with random ppl

• Kiskashi
    Kiskashi Member Posts: 1,043
    Options

I like those heart pounding edge of the seat chases I.e. exposed/broken etc. plus it’s a lot more open to light hearted funny moments from teammates and really strong team plays feel great when you can come together with randoms and really get things done as a team and help each other out in tough situations, it’s also a lot less stressful than killer, I can play survivor for hours and play with a friend, killer I can play for a few hours but sometimes it’s just not possible to enjoy it as much. Plus every killer is different, some will be scary because they’re really good, others will play stealth killers and do a good job sneaking up, others may just camp or tunnel into a mori, it’s a mixed bag but refreshing, killer feels like a lot of the same to me sometimes...

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Because killer is boring. At least when I play survivor, I don't have to loop.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154
    Options

Why do I main survivor?

I don't :3

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    edited July 2019
    Options

Wouldn't exactly self-describe as a "main" in one way or the other, but killer I play survivor whenever the friend I play with wants to play.

They're both fun in their own way to me.

• Anvil
    Anvil Member Posts: 39
    Options

I play both but survivor most often. I actually prefer killer, but survivors are so toxic and I can only take it in small doses. So, I'm a survivor main because the toxicity is much more manageable. I will say, however, that even that's getting to me (face-camping, tunneling, etc.) so I may need a break for a while.

As a survivor, I really like to be immersed and out-fox the killer. Getting spooked/surprised by Meyers is super fun.

• Knuckles
    Knuckles Member Posts: 218
    Options

I like the combined teamwork that goes with playing survivor. I've never played swf so it's always been without verbal com and having others telling me what's going on and where the killer is. Keeping eyes and ears open and staying focused while utilizing everything on the map available to me is what I like. Granted, sometimes it's a quick 4k if you have a veteran killer in the mix with rookie survivors, but the challenge is always there to make something good happen.

• prayer_survivor
    prayer_survivor Member Posts: 626
    Options

I can't kill anyone. When I play as killer everyone get more than 20.000BP and have fun, no need to kill anyone. Often they thanks me for having best game ever. I put them in dying state and then carried then to the hook but let them escape before the hook, only to scare them.

• drimmalor
    drimmalor Member Posts: 909
    Options

I play survivor because I've made a lot of good friends in the community and it's a fun time that brings us together. I enjoy the gameplay, but I don't think I'd play nearly as much without friends. That's true for most games for me - I like the social experience.

As far as gameplay goes, I like figuring out how a killer plays and playing the mindgames with them. Reacting to killers is where I find my fun rather than taking the proactive role.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    Options

Because I find playing Killer to be stressful and unrewarding most of the time. And I don't find this fun.

Most of the time playing Survivor I feel like I'm taking a stroll in a park. Very relaxing.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

I like to suffer in company.

• Chaddad2169
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Immersed. Ive made similar mistakes too when i panic, but not only in this game.

• Twinbros
    Twinbros Member Posts: 27
    Options

So I'm relatively new to the game (going on..3 months now?) and while Survivor is my preferred style of play, I'm starting to not want to play Survivor. I've dabbled in Killer and it's actually a ton of fun for a multitude of reasons. And I'm finding my reasons to play Survivor shrinking because there is no real incentive to play one. I understand why Killer Q times are going up, because its not as fun playing the game as a survivor when the devs are all but giving Killers "I win" perks cough Hex Ruin or ..you know...broken Nurse.

Now you can complain about how "hard" killers have it all you want, but the proof is in the pudding. Killer times are going up because fewer people are wanting to play survivor, and more to the point, even less games actually play out as they should because survivors are DC or suicide (and understandably so). You get more blood points on Killer, you don't need to rely on others, matches are completely and ONLY based on YOUR skill. I played Killer and didn't even have to really put any effort into my game play it was so easy.

The fact of the matter is I think most killers are basing their "win" status on if they killed EVERY survivor, and don't consider 2-3 kills a win. If all survivors live I think the game was garbage, if all survivors die I think the game is garbage. It really has to be a 2-3 kill game for me to consider the game balanced and an actual "gg".

Anyways my rant on why playing survivor has lost its appeal.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Relatively new, understood. No need for another one of those discussions.

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

I like playing with friends. Always fun when we can use strategy to outsmart a killer and being on comms usually creates more funny moments then you get while solo queuing. There is also something satisfying about seeing someone chase you for as long as they do only to hear the gens go off one by one.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

Toxic clown, don't believe anything these guys have to say. Survivors are pure evil, wicked, rotten to the core. That's why they keep doing their evil things: generators, looping, messing with exit gates when they're clearly not supposed to. They have a herd mentality, so they enjoy the warmth and protection of the group, but just like untrained dogs, they also tend to bark and growl at each other.

They are duplicitous, undisciplined, filthy creatures. The only way to purify them is by the hook.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

Killer = long queue time into terrible matchmaking. I prefer killer, but it's just tedious.

• TomTheSequel
    TomTheSequel Member Posts: 58
    Options

I main survivor only because it is so much easier and less stressful than playing killer. I solo survivor all the time with no mither and I still have a high escape percentage.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

Well that's an obvious lie lmao

• WildDovami
    WildDovami Member Posts: 56
    Options

I like being under constant duress.

• Chaddad2169
    Options

Jesus m8 calm down, someone's been looped for 5 gens and had their NOED cleansed straight away 😂

• PyroDude
    PyroDude Member Posts: 454
    Options

Mostly because of the shorter waiting times.

But also because survivor is less stressful to me.

If I do bad as survivor I die and can quickly move to the next game and try to do better. If I perform bad as killer I still have to sit through the match until they all either escaped or died and get trash talked at the post game chat.

• darktrix
    Options

Strange that in your previous posts you say you main killer - pig and clown to be exact.

Oh, now your outrageous claim makes sense now.

• TomTheSequel
    TomTheSequel Member Posts: 58
    Options

I have legacy prestige Meg with 1700 hours, feel free to look at my acheivements on steam if you don't believe me. My steam ID is TomTheSequel and my profile is open to view. Also believe it or not I play both killer and survivor because I believe in order to fully enjoy both sides you have to PLAY both sides. This 'us' vs 'them' mentality is imo silly because there are definitely blatant balance issues on BOTH sides. Currently the scales are tipped in the survivors favor in the high ranks.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

It may be fun for you, but even at purple-red ranks, it's not fun to go against. Especially when my framerate dips when lunging. : P

• Beepbop123
    Beepbop123 Member Posts: 21
    Options

Killer is the easy option for me find it quite boring very quickly. The survivor is much more intense and fun as the odds are stacked against you.

Much more rewarding to escape than to hook survivors for me.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

I wouldn't say main, but I end up playing it a lot more nowadays due to the abysmally long killer queues. Previously, it was about 50-50, since I don't think you can be a great survivor/killer without playing the other side effectively.

• ImNotSorry
    ImNotSorry Member Posts: 2
    Options

Because killer queue times are longer than I'd like

• darktrix
    Options

That proves nothing about your claim - some of the biggest potatoes I have ever seen wore Legacy or P3. Your claim was solo, no mither, high escape rate (and not I can only assume this is at red ranks due to what you said).

I guess I should ask what a high escape rate meant.

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

I never have problems against SWF when I play killer at high ranks. Maybe it's just a me thing. I agree that the frame rate can be terrible though.

• JoannaVO
    JoannaVO Member Posts: 750
    Options

I play survivor because playing killer gets me quite frustrated fast and when playing survivor I can just take it easy. I also love the chases bound to this role. Another bonus is that, after the devotion system got implemented, you earn XP faster because matches usually don't last as long as killer games do.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

I should mention that I'm on console too, so that might affect that as well...

• fly_172
    fly_172 Member Posts: 78
    Options

I admittedly play both, and enjoy them both. I play more killer, but focusing on survivor, I like being able to get in a game and help others out. It’s also super fun to swf (even tho I’m a killer main I recognize how important swf is), and it’s always good to play both sides as it improves my gameplay for each. Plus having a long chase as survivor against a good opponent, or getting respect from my adversary, is always a feel good moment.

• KingSavageGaming
    KingSavageGaming Member Posts: 148
    Options

Because it's easy

• Clockso
    Clockso Member Posts: 853
    Options

i main survivor cuz my wifi sucks and i can't host a killer lobby without people accusing me of lag switching