Why would anyone play Clown?

Options
BBQnDemogorgon
BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

Edit: Some are missing the point. It's not that he isn't fun or his play style isn't interesting. It's that his play style is identical to another better killer. Clown is a skin now with the same power as a better killer.

In my opinion Clown is the killer most in need of a rework especially after new Freddy. (Base power discussion)

Clowns power is similar to snares Freddy but worse in almost every way. Clown slows the same amount, has to recharge his bottles, the slow zone disappears in 10 seconds and he slows down every time he throws.

Freddy has to passively or hit to start using his snares but once he does he is better in every way. Slow equal to clown, no recharge, can spam 8 traps in seconds on one loop to chain slows, no slowdown while placing and they stay until they're activated.

Freddy has a teleport as well.

Clown needs major changes Freddy took his role away from him by being so much better at exactly the same thing.

Honestly reloading bottles should probably go as well as the slow down while throwing. Even then he'd still be worse though because gas disappears and clown can't teleport.

Post edited by BBQnDemogorgon on

Comments

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

Him, Wraith and billy are favorites of mine simply because I find them fun. I don’t win every game but that is fine.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835
    Options

If only the gameplay of clown was as good as his skins.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

The sounds he makes, obviously.

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Why would anyone play Clown? For dailies of course :)

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    edited July 2019
    Options

Why would i play Wraith?

Cause i find the WAY he plays to be very fun.

Some may find gassing Survivors fun.

God, you really need context for that sentence...

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

For the cosmetics

Other than that he is obviously garbage but the devs don't care because he makes them money through cosmetics, which clip (see: Pucinella outfit) but why bother fixing him when you can release more shovelware killers that only exist to sell more skins

• LPS11
    LPS11 Member Posts: 68
    Options

What buffs do you have in mind? I feel like with the way he is it would be hard to do without making him OP it would have to be carefully done because clown can already shut loops down ez pz

• GrootDude
    Options

Removing his slowdown while holding his bottle and making intoxication last a second longer. That wouldn’t break him, I don’t think.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    Options

@Boss Thats what i don't get though he plays the same as Freddy. Clown is Freddy in almost every way besides a throw animation and his appearance but with more down sides.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Then the appearance is probably a big factor.

Also, i gotta admit, i find it pretty funny to nail a far throw on a Survivor.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    Options

@GrootDude Making it longer like that would automatically make him differentthan Freddy.

1 change bam problem fixed he has a a slight benefit freddy doesn't. Not just same thing but worse.

LF and Billy for example are the same but different like that

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

His bottles don't help with loops

You lose time while charging the throw and from reloading later so the slow doesn't even really help because you barely save time, if any

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725
    Options

Are y'all absolutely sure there's a movement penalty for charging and holding bottles? If so, it's so minor I don't even notice it.

• LPS11
    Options

That's your opinion but in my experience they help slow the loop down or make the survivor leave the loop

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,024
    Options

I feel like the map reworks will REALLY benefit Clown. Put enduring on him and challenge any pallet loop after the pallet is thrown down.

• GrootDude
    Options
  • Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469
    Options

For his charming laugh of course!

• LPS11
    Options

You should always challenge the loop anyway, a big mistake alot of killers make is respecting pallets, once I realize the killer is scared of a pallet stun the match is pretty much a wrap at that point because they will sit there and try to back and forth you and in turn make that pallet last way longer than it should

• BBQnDemogorgon
    Options

@Dehitay Its when you throw you move at like nurse speed for a second during the throw animation

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,024
    Options

You misunderstand. I dont mean swing through the pallet, I mean dont break it right away after its thrown. By using enduring and not using time to break the pallet, the survivor is forced to stay at it typically.

• WickedMilk03
    WickedMilk03 Member Posts: 624
    Options

clowns is just way better. The survivors can just walk around the damn snares. I think snares need a buff. Maybe they have a secondary ability for clown called smoke bomb where he is surrounded in smoke and has 10 seconds to reappear in which more smoke will surround him like something out of a horror movie which would give him map pressure and make him more unique?

• WickedMilk03
    WickedMilk03 Member Posts: 624
    Options

Finally someone likes my ideas thank you XD <3 I have some more goodies. Just posted about a doctor rework if u wanna check it out :)

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

He's really bad. He doesn't cut off safe loops. He just forces pallets down early. He can get downs but it never amounts to any real pressure at higher ranks. The game just tends to happen and then it's quickly over.

• Im2Shrewd
    Im2Shrewd Member Posts: 77
    Options

Clown is very good, literally his only weakness is map pressure but his ability to cut chases short already puts him above much of the cast.

• Star99er
    Star99er Member Posts: 1,431
    Options

Clown is balanced, I just don’t find him fun to play tbh.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,695
    Options

I like his laugh.

• toxic_clown
    toxic_clown Member Posts: 318
    Options

You're insane lmao.

I'm cool with you not playing clown though. Makes me more... unique lol

I have over 600 hours in clown alone at red ranks.

He is one of the most fun imo. He's a lot more technical and hard to master than I think people realize.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919
    Options

I really like him for his aesthetics, both visually and sound (except for that damn vaulting grunt..). His power is thematically nice and looks fine on paper but is really underwhelming in practice thanks to it being.. under-tuned? Feels weak.

I'd love to see Clown getting buffs and QoL fixes (like removing that damnable vaulting grunt) to help him more.

Gonna shamelessly advertise an old "buff Clown" thread I made a while back. Got a long list of buffs in the OP. → https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/61217/so-clowns-the-least-lethal-killer-on-pc/p1

• Ark_the_Bonsai
    Ark_the_Bonsai Member Posts: 867
    Options

He doesn't have a slowdown on his bottle anymore. He did when he was brand new but the devs realized the penalty negated any ground he'd gain with his gas. It was removed ridiculously fast considering how long some fixes take in this game.

• PyroDude
    PyroDude Member Posts: 454
    Options

I play Clown every now and then because he is fun to play

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,459
    Options

Buffs to make Clown stronger Killer:

• Increase base number of bottles he can trow
    • Increase hindred penalty to -20% by base instead of using add-on for it, so it's more powerfull slow than other slow effects (snares that works same now as Clown's ability)
    • Remove that slow when he is trowing that bottles

Now you have strong killer that will end loops like a mad man.

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

Because he is a very weak killer in high ranks ? Because he is very buggy ? Because even if his power would be a good one ( which is not ), he would still be boring to play, because his power is too basic ?

• Alfred
    Alfred Member Posts: 272
    Options

I had clown quest once that was the last time I played him.

From what I saw on his bottles entity realm definitely does not have gravitational acceleration similar to Earth's one...

• Knuckles
    Knuckles Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2019
    Options

I'm at P1 with Clown. I like playing him, mainly because not too many others do. I've gotten back to back 4k's at times then humiliated by swf the next. I wouldn't mind seeing some improvements though. There should be an add on that injures on a direct hit comparable to a hatchet throw. Both take luck or good aiming practice to achieve. Just a thought...the pinky finger gets a one hit down but you have to be right on top of them to get it. Just the fact he's underplayed shows he needs some attention.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,880
    Options

First of all, remove the sounds when he vaults, he is probably the only M1 Killer which can't mindgame windows cuz of it.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

Clown is not that bad especially when you consider that he can cover a larger area than snares can and not to mention hinder survivor’s vision.

I find him fun to play as.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

He's fun to play and he obviously has fun too with all the laughing.

For someone like me that focus the most on isolated events like chases and mindgames over the bigger picture (winning, pipping, whatever) he's pretty enjoyable, as clever bottle placements feels rewarding when it works.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    Options

Bubba and Clown are gunning for the weakest killer award in my opinion

Clown is a victim of his own power, he was designed to do one thing and he does it well. The problem is it's a bad thing, the game's design at the moment doesn't allow him to exist

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

He still has the slowdown for actually throwing the bottle.

• akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123
    Options

I think an interesting idea to boost his kit would be if he gets hit by a stun it uses one of his bottles and breaks in the area.

• xllxENIGMAxllx
    xllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 923
    Options

Don't trash talk Pogo i used to main him a lot he is fun and well made but his power need some help. His base kit is weak but Ether/flask combo make him almost viable.