Community, do you think Hide or Die is a worthy competitor to Dead By Daylight?

Judgement
Judgement Member Posts: 955

Title. Please keep the discussion civil.

Surely Hide or Die will turn out much better than Last Year: The Nightmare and Friday the 13th, right? Do you think HoD is going to be good and be a possible competitor to DbD? Or do you think it'll fail like the others, or not be as popular?

Comments

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

No.. not really. It feels super slow and awkward.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Hahahaha... No.

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

Well, we need to find out why the other competitors failed:

-friday the 13th: in-game chat was essential and there were ton of shy people/ without a mic. You could not even decide to as Jason. The licence of Jason basically ruined their budget.

-last year: heavily survivor sided, no progression system (to these days), discord store 1 year exclusive. I remember that only after 1 week they were already paying for sponsored lives...

Imo hide or die is just gonna be another last year, it will barely see play in the long run. Dbd is so unique, and the only real competitor was Soul at stake, because it was a legit ripoff, similar mechanics, yet good atmosphere and theme.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

It looks really bad

It's not a danger to DBD

• purplerain
    purplerain Member Posts: 92

hope so that dbd has competition

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

It's laughable.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Hide or die actually isn't applicable to being Survivor sided or not.

Unlike other similar games it's symmetrical.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Let me rephrase. It only applies for the 1v1 at the end.

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527

It looks cool.

Its entirely different from dbd,tho.

Just because its a survival horror game doesnt mean it has to "kill" DBD ffs.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

It's early days for hide or die, some of the bashing of that game by some of you is ironic considering how you are ok playing a game which looked arguably worse when dbd first hit beta.

Give it time to fix it's issues and then judge it. It's just released in a closed beta or whatever it is and there's no doubt it's looking very promising.

• Ghostul
    Ghostul Member Posts: 42

Hide or Die is way too different to think about one "defeating" the other. Hide or Die is focused more on horror and hiding (hence the name lol). If the killer finds you in this game, you will most certainly die. It's way scarier to be survivor. Meanwhile Dead by Daylight killers are not threatening what-so-ever. Now that's not a bad thing really, that's just how the game plays.

Hide or Die and Dead by Daylight just play differently. No reason to ditch one for the other. Want to run killer around? Play DBD. Want to be scared and hide for your life? Play Hide or Die.

• TheShape78
    TheShape78 Member Posts: 712

I don't think so. I think history has shown that no multiplayer horror game can last long against DBD. None of them could do it. The only one that came close was F13, but of course the lawsuit killed that one. Last Year was delayed without news updates for at least a year, if I recall correctly, and when it finally did release, no one was or is, playing it. Not to mention the Last Year devs are supposedly very rude and selfish, from what I've heard. That's certainly doing them no favors. And then there's this game, Hide or die. I believe it was playable about a year ago, and like Last Year, it went away, and now here it is again. I guess we'll see what the future holds, but if the past history of these DBD competitors is anything to go by, it won't last.

• Kerbert
    Kerbert Member Posts: 415

I find it ironic that people say Hide or Die's graphics are bad on a Dead by Daylight forum.

• PotEtU
    PotEtU Member Posts: 44

In the current state, no HoD is nowhere near a competitor against DbD but it's only been out in early access for like five/six hours. Everything is still clunky, plenty of bugs, lack of content etcetera. If the Devs of HoD do this well, keep the bugs to a low minimum, smoothen the gameplay and add more suspenseful content, then yes, HoD could be a worthy competitor against DbD and maybe even be better (looking at the current state of DbD)

• Theluckyboi
    Theluckyboi Member Posts: 1,113

Not really, i mean, the game has some really interesting mechanics but overall it just seems like a poor combination of DBD and DeathGarden.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Well, it's different. However, I prefer DBD for the mindgames and the locked roles. Hide or Die has neither. I know some people might prefer it, but that's my opinion.

• Tohmo
    Tohmo Member Posts: 248

Is it going to be a competitor to DBD? That's very unlikely. Will it be a fun alternative that might rack up its own small community? That's probably what's gonna happen. DBD is a massive community, I don't think a release of a game like HoD will ever really "compete" with DBD so early on. Maybe in a couple years, who knows. The game looks like a blast, though.

• Clockso
    Clockso Member Posts: 853

it is still in beta, don't wanna judge it too harshly

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

In the early days it could have been but now it seems more of a horror battle royale with how everyone starts as survivors and turn into killers.

I will say the level design is great, Similar to death garden It's so much bigger and more expansive than anything you'd ever see in DBD.

• BackByDaylight
    BackByDaylight Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2019

Never going to get that HoD game i just dont care about it

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428

It's still in the very early stages for HOD but they are so different from each other that I personally think they will both sit in there own little corners.