Dear devs, what exactly is the problem?

ad19970
ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

Once again, being able to hear footsteps of running survivors on most maps (pretty much all the outdoor maps) is barely possible at all. I am seriously wondering how something like that can be so hard to properly fix. With the lowered chase music, you were at least able to hear sounds somewhat properly. It was a nice change. Pretty sure almost anyone who played killer liked the change, if anything some survivors didn't like the change as much since they don't rely on sound so much and the music can create tension for them.

I am seriously wondering now how it's possible to screw up so many times. You already screwed up the sound effects themselves multiple times, the last time I believe when you changed the games graphics, almost muting any footsteps.

I seriously don't want to believe you are that incompetent, but I'm having a hard time believing other devs would have such issues with this or would just ignore this totally. What's the issue? Why hasn't anything been done at all? I do know that the sound when survivors walk through grass has increased, but that doesn't really help most of the times.

Can anyone of the devs respond to this problem? Or have they and I have missed it?

Comments

• ad19970

As far as I know, during the game's early time the sound was actually really good, much better even than the sound before the Legion and Graphics update.

• rina
    rina Member Posts: 90

Yeah, because knowing where survivor is 100% of the time is not busted at all.

• Scal3r
    Scal3r Member Posts: 188

Maybe they have shoes made out of memory foam, making them quiet and comfortable at the same time

• Alfred
    Alfred Member Posts: 272
    edited August 2019

Survival lobby is so powerful in this game:

You are not supposed to see survivals (Claudette especially P3) without Nvidia filters

You are not supposed to hear survivals (have not found any filter or solution yet)

No wonder there is lack of killers on console...

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608

sorry, but if survivors are consistently losing you by running... you're doing something wrong.

scratch marks, visual cues, predicting their likely route... it's not all that hard to keep track of them. (most of the time)

Ill admit the audio seems a bit off and could use some work, but blaming it as a major issue in your gameplay seems like you have had a few tough rounds and needed to vent.

• Wolff_Bringer
    Wolff_Bringer Member Posts: 90

Well, i can actually hear the footsteps of survivor quite good. Yesterday i got someone BECAUSE i heard the footsteps...

• ad19970

No not really. All I want is for the devs to fix the sound again to what it was before the Legion update. I don't mind them losing me at times, but sometimes it just feels a bit cheap. Scratchmarks can only help you so much, when at big loops that break line of sight you sometimes can't tell if they are still at a loop or just ran away. And on surfaces with grass scratchmarks can be very hard to see as well.

Also, I never have blamed it as a big issue, I just don't understand why the sound has just stayed broken for so long.

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862

tbh people walking on grass/earth isnt that noisy, especially if you dont want it to be

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

The developers try their absolute best to make the game as fun as possible for everyone by adding new content, fixing bugs, and communicating to the community. You may think they go out of their way to ruin the experience of others, but in reality, they bust their butts off everyday.

Give the developers a break, the game improved a lot more within the last year. Obviously the developers are trying or else we would've been stuck with old DS, pallet vacuums, old Déjà vu, and so on. I couldn't ask for better developers, and sure, they aren't perfect, but they do try to learn from their mistakes. :)

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Yeah. Gutting Freddy, Legion and Nurse based on low rank crying survivors seems really professional.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

You can't hold the developers against their past, everyone makes their mistakes, including me.

Old Legion was busted because his power would eventually down without any say on the survivor's part. His update was requested by many members of the community to make him more fair, but admittedly, they did go a little too far with the update. However, that's okay, they can always come back to Legion later and work him out.

Nurse add-ons are really busted, and that's coming from a Nurse main. Omegablink and extra blink Nurse is not fun nor counterable. She needs an add-on update for the better health of this game.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

I knew this was going to happen again, it never fails..... how though?? For the longest time when the game first dropped there was no issue with the sounds and you could hear an immersed claudette hiding on a bush no problem because of her breathing it was so good and so was stridor but now it seems every patch the killers have to go deaf.... "heavy sigh" it isnt fun at all to deal with so until it's fixed I'll be playing survivor...

• Alfred

First: they came with that stupid idea put music and effects on one volume slider.

Second: everyone has different sound system and everyone can hear different frequency which are changing with age. How can they balance this with single volume slider?

Explanation needed...

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

Lazy and bad game design. There is reason why no other game tries to use sound for balancing reason.

• ABannedCat
    edited August 2019

Why do so many dont get it yet? No one is mad about her add-on rework, but about her power-"tweak". This "tweak" could be anything from not noticeable at all, to absolutely turning her into trash-tier. We dont know, and the devs refuse to give details. THIS is what people are afraid of, not the add-ons change.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,444

A lack of information could just mean the design isn't finalized

The reworks are the one thing that has been consistently good, yes that includes Legion, the old power was a flaming dumpster fire of awful, so out of all the things that they might screw up, the Nurse rework won't be one of them

• ABannedCat
    edited August 2019

With the difference that Nurse's basepower needs no rework. Its fine as it is. Only her add-ons need tweaking, and the community is fine with that. But apparently the devs are not.

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520
    edited August 2019

Not every player has seen it like that. Not important if we talk about Legion mains, or survivors.

Also I know some people, including me, that have stop playing the game since the Legion patch. Some of them wait still for a undone of the rework, or for some fixes. Others are gone forever.

I don't know if someone should call this "good". Well, at least as long we have the adoption that dbd should be a game for a variety of people, instead of some entitled guys that anyways do nothing more as to write nerf threads after nerf thread.

TL:DR For many Legion mains and also at least some survivors (don't know exactly how many, but for the pro Legion patch guys we have also no numbers) were the Legion rework a disaster.

Edit: What the Nurse patch matters... I wish you luck Nurses. It could be going worse like with the Legion, but also being good like with Freddy. What I have read in the forums about the new Freddy is overwhelming positive.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,444

She doesn't move at all when the target is an object, I am pretty sure that before the first rework that lets her control whether to blink up or down you would move up to the object instead. A base tweak could just be reverting that, or it could refer to how vertical blinks work. It does not necessarily mean buff or nerf

• Kenshin
    Kenshin Member Posts: 912

like mr. cote would say: PRETTY GOOD JOB SO FAR

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636

Can you explain to me how a survivor can be stealthy if a killer can hear a their footsteps?

Scenario: Trapper is coming towards me, I'm behind a tree, Trapper walks past, I walk around a tree, Trapper hears my footsteps and turns around......

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

Again, moving your feet makes sound. I have no problem being stealthy as survivor, you just need to start hiding as soon as he approaches.

• MrPeterPFL
    edited August 2019

Hearing a survivor's footsteps will negate any stealth. Hiding behind a tree means nothing if the killer can hear you walk away. Defeats the purpose of stealth.

Let me extend it, if YOU yourself were hiding against a REAL killer, you would walk around as quiet as possible so the killer can not hear you. Have you ever considered that all these survivors in the game are doing that exact same thing?

If I had to meet you half way, possibly make the running audio louder or particular environment triggers an audio queue. BUT the killer already has tons of information like scratch marks, trail of bloods, breathing, grunting, even perks help on hunting etc.

Post edited by MrPeterPFL on
  • woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

well it doesn’t matter how soft you walk, moving through tall grass would make noise. And yea not being able to hear running as killer is ridiculous.

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862

not much more, its more the breathing thats noisy while running

• jorkle
    jorkle Member Posts: 18

Hmm, maybe if you were crouching sure but the regular ass walking should make sound and so should running. Maybe stop pretending like crouching isn't a thing because it is. It will maybe bring back an actual element of "stealth" back.

• Aceonfire
    Aceonfire Member Posts: 304
    edited August 2019

It's a magical world that removes the ability for survivors to speak in any way, {other than to scream and Ash to do his "zippy" one liners of course) And you guys are complaining footsteps don't sound realistic? Really?

100% convienced that they left the characters speaking out of the game, so as to not have one less bit of ammo which could be thrown at them for not putting voice comms in a modern teambased game, when most others had them 10 years or more prior.

This game was made on a shoestring budget. That's why they didnt bother with voice, proper testing, configurable options for display settings, map design, perk design etc. Unfortuantely after the game got OUT of the shoestring budget, they kept doing things as if they were still on one.

• ABannedCat

I mean, I as killer can hear my own footsteps just fine. So why should survivors not make any noise when running?

• C0MAxCHRISS
    C0MAxCHRISS Member Posts: 8

This post is filled with so much salt...you can tell he made this post after survivors escaped his and t-bagged at the exit lol. This is the kind of ignorant, head in your ass attitude that makes this game terrible

• Alfred
    edited August 2019

Maybe you can tell us your setup?

Are you filtering "unwanted" sound by software or you opened *.pack and replaced chase music by empty song?

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

Is the sound busted again? I played killer and survivor yesterday, and I could hear survivors' and spirit's footsteps just fine

• SenatorAcadia
    SenatorAcadia Member Posts: 72

Now I wish there was a killer whose power was leaving bubble wrap with paint on it all around the map. It does not hurt the survivor but it makes a fun poppity pop sound and leaves paint on their feet for 60 seconds.

His name could be The Shipper and his main weapon is a tape gun with jaggedy teeth!

• Aikanaro
    Aikanaro Member Posts: 310

Hearing where the terror radius is coming from is common sense too, however we hear it in mono so there you have it.

• Aikanaro
    Aikanaro Member Posts: 310

Nope, they need to find you ASAP, hook you and call it a day while celebrating elite killer status, EZ!

• ad19970

@C0MAxCHRISS

Sorry but no. All I want is to have the sound fixed to what it was before the Legion update.

• ad19970

@MrPeterPFL

Well I know you aren't responding to me. But to make it specifically clear, I personally just want the footsteps of running survivors to be a bit louder, like they were before the Legion's update. I fully agree that walking or crouching survivors footsteps shouldn't make any sound. Stealth should be as effective as it is right now.

• ad19970

@Thaznar

Well then you are lucky. Survivors footsteps are only loud in indoor maps like Lerry's for most people, footsteps in outdoor maps are pretty much unhearable.

• MrPeterPFL

I'm fine with running being louder but walking should not make any noises. Maybe in particular environments but majority of the time it shouldn't make noises.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

The most hilarious part of it was that the audio worked perfect for a single update. When the first hotfix came, the audio went back to being garbage. Definitely an intentional change.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

The common sense argument does not apply. If so, then why can't David, Tap, or Jeff just beat the tar out of those wussy little Legion kids? For that matter, how can Legion just throw 280 lbs of Jeff on their shoulder with one hand. Can't argue that they have some sort of enhanced strength because they would just blast through pallets unhindered. I mean, David is a fighter, but runs from a tiny girl with a tiny knife or an asthmatic clown with a letter opener?

No, the reason common sense has to be suspended is for balance and game play. Can't have the killer getting pummeled by survivors due to being a lot smaller and armed with in impractical knife. Just like you can't hear everything you should or there would be zero stealth play at all (stealth is already nerfed with all the aura perks).

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

The common sense argument does not apply. If so, then why can't David, Tap, or Jeff just beat the tar out of those wussy little Legion kids? For that matter, how can Legion just throw 280 lbs of Jeff on their shoulder with one hand. Can't argue that they have some sort of enhanced strength because they would just blast through pallets unhindered. I mean, David is a fighter, but runs from a tiny girl with a tiny knife or an asthmatic clown with a letter opener?

No, the reason common sense has to be suspended is for balance and game play. Can't have the killer getting pummeled by survivors due to being a lot smaller and armed with in impractical knife. Just like you can't hear everything you should or there would be zero stealth play at all (stealth is already nerfed with all the aura perks).