Impression: One week into the game

Greetings,

I started playing last week, mostly as a survivor first. What a thrill. Usually i got killed fast, was really nervous about the heartbeat, messing up with skillchecks, didnt understand why i get caught sometimes. Got told i should try Killer to see how survivors hide and i started learning the game. Killer was very easy at start so i sticked to playing survivor more.

But Survivor was only cool till i understand the game. Than it turned into an easy mode. Still get killed sometimes. Facecamped or just because i slack because i dont have a challenge most times. I am bad at chases(what is even the biggest surv power) but i dont care. I am good at hiding and most times i will escape. I am around level 40 and rank 12 with my claudette and there is just no thrill left anymore. The killer isnt scary in the slightest, i or min. 2 of my team have to fail hard that i die/lose/cant escape. I would have said till than that survivor is much more fun because it is more "skill" play, but killer turned out to be the "hard-to-play" role.

So i started to play more killer. First wraith, than doctor and than wraith again, continious climbing the ranks. But today i disconnected first time in a match because i was just fed up. Usually this happen after a year or more when i started to get bruned out by a game but never after a single week, when the game was so ######### good at start.

What happened: First strike: I was playing Doctor, the match started and i walked straigth to the furthest gen and this thing popped before i was there. Nice.(Just adding my terror-madness wasnt even in range before it was done)

I made many killergames and this happened once but still it shows what is wrong with the game. Even if you found them you are lucky when it is only one gen popping in the first 2 minutes. And this gets just annoying.

Second strike: I rank up to 11 or not, to 10, or not, to 9 or not. Half of the games i dont get my ranking? #########?

Third strike: i just wanted to see what will happen when i just chase one till he is down. All 5 gens done and exit open. Got him at the end but didnt camped and so he was rescured, since it was a planned experimental fail. Still, that was just disgusting. Shouldnt be the killer the one ruling the chase???

Fourth strike: Harmless compared to the others but my level of frustration is high enough to say today, that i dont really want to play anymore: Played wraith. Spotted 3 and hit one. Damaged gen and chased the injured. Got him fast in the cellar, take him up and got 2 times wiggled into a cross room(was the school map?!) so that i dropped him close to the hook. Just unlucky, 1 in 100 i think but again 2 gens popped this moment and at this point i just thought: ######### it, this game sucks and left. Horrorgame, for sure.

Maybe it would all be okay if i had all those gamefixer perks. But they are behind a huge pay and time wall. i have 100 hours in the game and are just able to buy one single new char. Thats surpass even EA level bad.

Think i will play later again but im sure that after a week my last hours already had struck. This game needs serious rebalancing and fixing. It was an extreme fun experience till i started to learn the mechanics(and played with/against people knowing the mechanics). After that the fun got literally moried.

Greetz and have fun

Comments

• HasNoLuck
    HasNoLuck Member Posts: 16

Hey, as a fellow player, I recommend playing as other survivors and play as their playstyles and it will give you more content. I'm not sure what happened with your ranking but I believe rank 13 starts to take ranking points if you don't pass a certain quota in the trial. Also, there are a few characters you can buy with Iridescent Shards, which you get for ranking up. I was led to believe they were some-what limited when I first started playing but once you get past level 100 you get Devotion, which let's you prestige and get even more Iridescent Shards. Also, if you want a little more content, you can prestige your characters when they reach level 50 which will give you a cosmetic difference to those who haven't reached that level yet with a character. All in all, it's your choice what you do, but if you get bored with the game, maybe try a different loadout or playstyle, try leveling up different characters, or try mastering the Nurse. There's more content in the game, you just have to dig a little. Oh, also, if you struggle in chases maybe watch a few YouTubers play DbD and try to learn. Hope you can keep finding joy in playing. Heard there's a new update coming at the end of August 2019. Oh, and the fear usually wears off the first few times playing it, so it's nothing you should be worried about.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 1,122

I do feel this game is very bad at introducing new players, it has a steep learning curve especially with how ranks work, since they reset every month you could be against a really good killer or anything, not to mention how perks can make it hard for people too.

There needs to be something in place for new players like more bloodpoints buff or something for a limited time. Maybe better tutorials to include newer mechanics that reward bloodpoints (explaining killer powers which it does a bad job of doing)

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

The learning curve is steep as hell for new players and it can be rough. Also chases as survivor will be getting much more difficult as you reach the higher ranks.

And I tell all new players, find some dbd content creators on youtube/twitch. watch them when you have the time. I found that's what made me better/ enjoy the game more.

I personally enjoy to watch Hybrid Panda for gameplay. Sometimes I'll also watch Monto, Puppers, and Ardetha to better my game.

• Glory
    Glory Member Posts: 241

Imagine calling bHVR worse than EA for monetization O.O

Most games have no option for their DLC but to pay, and yet good guy devs have not only the shrine of secrets, but every non-licensed character can be purchased with in-game currency. Truly, a scourge on the gaming landscape

• Zurcarak
    Zurcarak Member Posts: 1

to be fair doctor and wraith are the worst and unfun killers in the game, maybe try mastering HillBilly or Nurse, Huntress, those are free and are top tier in terms of fun and "hard" the perks only work if you are at rank 1 vs swf or nurses or spirit that are the best killers in the game if you are vs any other killer perks doesn't matter if you are good i think.

• Killviver
    Killviver Member Posts: 34

Thanks for the answers guys.

heard first time of Devotion, i am currently level 49(account). Good if the shard gain will speeded at some time because it is to slow. Have 10k now, 100 hours played.

I read that prestige reset your perks. New cosmetics are cool, but playing killer without perks is just no fun. My claudette is now 50, i think i will go for it there.

About the ranking: at tzhe end of the game comes +1, +2 points or what ever. for example i am rank 12, one point left. i 4k the game and got 2 points. in the endgame-statistics i am displayed 11 now.right corner too. I leave the game and are back to 12 with one point left. Happens regulary.

Wraith was a really good starter killer since he got no terror radius but it gets a disadvantage from rank 15 up since survivors just do gens if terrorradius isnt present. But i think i worked out a good tactic and i can still 2k or better most games. With doctor i do even better(he is my first 50). But it is just frustrating when you have so much control, hooking them through all hells. they running around like chicken, do stupid things one after another like unhooking when you just hooked and still got most times 3 or more gens done or even worse make it to the exit gates. it just feels unfair btw you as killer feel completly powerless.

Tried billy and nurse at start but i couldnt handle them. sure i will try them soon, especially nurse for the perks, if i dont get hag with my points to unlock ruin first

greetz

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

@Killviver This game is unfortunately incredibly defective when it comes to onboarding, strong UX, and communicating its good aspects and strategic nuances. It is, reductively, fancy tag/hide-and-seek where the killer is playing an optimization game to beat a clock that the survivors control.

"Maybe it would all be okay if i had all those gamefixer perks," you say. You are more right than you know about that.