Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Is the Entity a "she" or an "it"?

Akibahara
Akibahara Member Posts: 78

I hear so many people on this forum call the Entity either a "she" or an "it". According to lore, is the Entity female or genderless?

Comments

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

Why does this same thread keep popping up? This exact same ACTUALLY, IN FRENCH... conversation already happened like, a bunch of times.

• Kerbert
    Kerbert Member Posts: 415

I've only been here for like 4 days bruh

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

I feel like a jerk saying SEARCH BOX IS OVER THERE, because I don't actually want to be unwelcoming to a new person.

But yeah, this is a lore thing that has popped up a few times. The French gendering is always what seems to confuse the matter. I am pretty sure the Entity is like Gozer, it's whatever it wants to be. 😀

• fluffymareep
    fluffymareep Member Posts: 634

The entity can be whatever they'd like to be.

• rj1567
    rj1567 Member Posts: 50

The lore never mentions if the Entity has a gender and it is highly unlikely that it can be compared to any living creatures that need males or females to create babys.

As we don't know for sure if the Entity has a gender I would say the only correct way to call it, is it.

Even if the acrticle in French is female that doesn't mean it is female

as example in German "the Entity" is translated into "der Entitus" and

"der" would be a male article.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Except the devs are Canadian and speak French, not German.

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,092
    edited August 2019

It's an it. Just because a language displays a gender association does not mean anything. It just means all entities have a feminine association in that language. It doesn't mean they ARE females.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

That argument goes both ways. It can just as much be female as neuter going by that.

Fact is that the devs have been known to speak of her as a "she" in early dev streams.

• Atrushan88

@DocOctober That would be the same argument as PigNRun said. It'd be like saying knives are males in Spanish.

Definition of Entity: A thing with distinct and independent existence.

Honestly giving Entity a capital E is kind of silly even. Entities aren't names, they're just a title for things(btw things are generally described as "it") that we don't know ######### they are. The only reason we give it a capital E, is because it's called THE Entity, because we refer to that as a title because we have no other name for it, and it's an important "character".

Calling it a she could just as well be an mistake of grammar due to the fact that they have gender associations and we don't. However I didn't see these early dev streams so I have no knowledge about those.

• rj1567
    rj1567 Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2019

So you are saying because BHVR is French and in French the article is female the Entity is female.

That means if Behaviour would have been as example German speaking company the Entity would have been male or as an English developer it would have no gender? The gender of any living creature isn't determined by an article of a language and the actual gender of a creature doesn't change in a different language. The article only says that the WORD not the creature/object associated with it is male/female or neither.

Again we have no confirmation from anyone if the Entity even can have a gender and a developer that called the Entity she is also no confirmation as they also do mistakes and spelling errors as they are not native english speakers.

If you want you can call the Entity "she" but I personally think it just isn't gramatically correct

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

The entity is a lovecraftian nightmare. Like said things, it is neither because it is above such basic, animalistic things.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143

The entity is quite simply a hive of auric cells that has yet to delineate into what we see today being controlled via a hive mind of sorts by a "queen" Auric cell if you would (which is in its basic sense the true body of the entity). This "queen" causes these cells to form the body we see (which in all reality looks like a massive auric cell without its cell wall) as well as the trials and the items found within. Because the Entity lacks full control over these cells they can be controlled by outside forces (vigo and Quentin being the two most famous examples). So as for the answer of the question of whether the entity is she or it cells lack basic gender therefore it is "it" but due to the fact it is associated with feminine nouns such as queen it would be not uncommon to see it referred to as a she

• Chaddad2169
    Chaddad2169 Member Posts: 748

My boi Quentin could perhaps be the survivor with the biggest connection to the Entity?

Interesting

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

Never said he had the biggest connection (in actuality when he manipulates auric cells he isn't even aware of it), that title would have to go to Vigo or Benedict. But out of the playable survivors, you might be right... I mean him and Lauri both ended up in the trials because they summoned the entity right? (Haven't really looked into their backstories much but remember someone mentioning they did.) But out of all the lore Vigo has to have the closest physical connection as he created his own little pocket realm out of auric cells, benedict has to be the closest mentally as he has devoted his life to studying it whether he was aware of it or not.

• Chaddad2169

Laurie's lore literally tells us nothing about how she ended up in the realm of the entity, I'm not lying, read it yourself.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

I believe you, just don really feel like reading licensed character lores cause they wont tell you much more than you already know

• Atrushan88

@Chaddad2169 Quentin's doesn't really either, only that he wished for Krueger to be gone for good and then he appeared near the campfire.

• Chaddad2169

This is how @TrueKn1ghtmar3 said that Quentin had a connection with the entity, when Freddy was about to kill him, he wished for Freddy to be gone and then he appeared by the campfire, this tells us that Quentin accidentally summoned the entity.

• Atrushan88
    edited August 2019

@Chaddad2169 Either that, or the entity noticed Freddy and pulled them both in. From the journals, the entity is drawn to people with evil intent, if I remember correctly(Also from reading the journals you can notice a common thing in that the entity is called "it" and not "she", to keep in the lines of the original question).

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

In spanish we call it "la entidad" (female)

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599

The entity is referred to with both gendered and ungendered pronouns, but it's a bit daft to pretend that something itself more akin to 'cosmic horror' than the slasher flick killers we see would ever stoop so low as to have a personal stake in gender. Gender as we understand it is a social construct created from associating perceived sexual characteristics with divisions of labour, which is why even gender binaries deviate somewhat in their exact meaning depending on location.

I default to 'she/her' when talking about the entity as a creature, and I use 'it' when referring to the components and realms that make up her body. Language is a funny thing, with the English getting their pronoun sets from different origins than the French, so this'll not be something reconciled - especially not by people jumping down each other's throats.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

I think its pretty clean cut, cells have no actual gender which is what the entity is, meaning it is it, only being referred to as she since it controls a hive of auric cells (like a queen bee) that it uses to construct the trials an its "body", beyond this one could suggest it might be the one producing the auric cells it uses or at the very least forces it current auric cells to undergo cell division to replenish, the former being the most likely since in game auric cells are a currency so it is unlikely they undergo cell division.

• Theluckyboi
    Theluckyboi Member Posts: 1,113
    edited August 2019

No, of course not, it has only been refered to as "el ente" (masculine pronoun)

De donde sacaste eso?

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

Now that you say it, it can be both 🤔

However I just play the game in english

• LawrenceGordon
    LawrenceGordon Member Posts: 77

Of course she's female, look at those curves, damn.

• ElusivePukka

@TrueKn1ghtmar3 The lore disagrees that it's so clean-cut. A conscious being will have its own concept of gender, if it has any at all, and whether or not it has human-like intellect of higher or lower capacity it seems capable of being labelled sapient. Still, she/her is used throughout the lore, with the exception of parts written from Baker's perspective. There was no analogy to queen bees and no notion of auric cells once upon a time, and the pronouns were still there.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

What lore are you reading? The entity makes the realms (and trials) out of its body yes? It is also noted that the trials are made of auric cells being controlled by the entity now if you follow basic logic here we can derive two points,

1, the entity's "body" is made of auric cells which it controls.

Now if it were truly its body then it shouldn't lose control of these auric cells right? Then how did vigo high- jack so much that he could build a laboratory?

2. Simple the auric cells aren't its real body meaning the body we see the claws aren't it either it is simply a higher form of auric cell.

An auric cell that seems to some how gained sentience yes it can have a mental gender but since it is then in fact an asexual organism it has no physical need for gender therefore if it is as highly intelligent enough as to create all this with a tiny army then is it also as intelligent to have no mental need to have a gender either as it has no effect on it period?

• ElusivePukka

@TrueKn1ghtmar3 "L' Entité" is referred to in the feminine throughout the original lore of the game, because French doesn't do well with gender neutral. Still, the devs continued this, referring to The Entity as 'her' multiple times when speaking in English.

Most of your points and derivations are sound contextually, they're just irrelevant to the fact that feminine pronouns are canon. Where you're simply off is where you conflate sex and gender, two related but distinct sociobiological phenomena.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 1,083

The entity is Nea, we all know this!

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

No, we all know the entity is ever thin within the trials that is not the survivors and killers. Now away with you and your misbegotten and unfunny memes.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

Can a god have a gender? Who knows? They explain it (kinda) in one of the lore streams.

Timestamp is 23:02

• My_Farewell
    My_Farewell Member Posts: 495

It's a she, especifically a 50 year old divorced woman.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

The Entity is the inner workings of Mathiue Coite's nightmares and bad dreams, or maybe a deep and dark portray of the man himself. o.O No, @GrootDude is the entity.