We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

Gen Rushing

rrichard023
rrichard023 Member Posts: 10
edited August 2019 in General Discussions

There's a massive balancing problem in DBD right now, and that is gen rushing. Play any killer without Ruin, and I'll be surprised if you don't get completely annihilated by a swf completing all 5 gens in about 5 mins. Hell, even with Ruin, survivors can just battle through it, either with Stake Out, or just through being able to hit great skill checks.

The only way to prevent this right now is to run perks like Ruin (as mentioned earlier), Pop Goes the Weasel, Discordance, or Corrupt Intervention. However, this means that you'll have to use half your perk slots on generator perks, just so you have a fighting chance.

The solution? I think gens should take longer to complete, as well as maybe nerfing the perk Prove Thyself. Granted, it was completely useless before it's buff, but now it just makes gens take barely any time at all.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Whenever I get gen rushed I'm always torn between complaining about it and complementing the survivors. I always end up doing an awkward combination of both and I really should just make up my mind on what I want to say if anything.

• StupidButTru
    StupidButTru Member Posts: 366
    edited August 2019

I made a thread on this subject exactly like this, problem is there's too many perks killers have that can hinder the progression of the game, had this just do this from the very beginning things would've have turn diffrently for this game.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/82449/what-the-devs-should-have-done-from-the-very-beginning#latest

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • NuclearBurrito

Also Prove Thyself isn't an issue. Even with the perk it's not faster to complete generators together compared to separately.

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

Actually having two or more survivors on one gen is far better than having 3 survivors splitted ln three different gens while chasing the other one, which is actually the gen rush issue.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

Gens is boring and too easy, survivors need more bp, which a secondary or many secondary objectives that need to be completed before gens would help the overall health of the game..... or -----> close the gap between solo and SWF and buff the shiet out of the weaker killers

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669

I thought when they buffed Prove Thyself, at the same time they added (or fixed it cause it wasn’t working properly) the 10% penalty when working with another survivor on a gen. So Prove Thyself even after the buff, didn’t make gens any faster than prior to that patch. It just nullifies the “new” coop penalty for anyone you are with. So if that’s correct, that complaint doesn’t add up.

As for everything else, both sides have to address their issues with perks. If you struggle with gens, you have slowdown perks available. Survivors are also expected to dedicate perk slots to fight tunneling and camping. That goes both ways. If you want gens slowed, then tunneling/camping needs to go also.

• Chickenchaser
    Chickenchaser Member Posts: 391

The solution is gen parts scattered around the map. you need to find one, and install it into the gen you want to repair. A gen can not be repaired unless a part has been installed.

This makes things fair for the killer, gives survivors another objective, and introduces another layer of strategy.

• Chickenchaser
    Chickenchaser Member Posts: 391

They where getting 4k left, and right because people weren't playing for gens, or to win. they just wanted to get nectar for cosmetics.

• DingDongs
    DingDongs Member Posts: 684

But it is definitely much faster when someone(or both) using toolbox, hit great skill and killer don't have or lost ruin.

I'm main Prove Thyself perk and at least it's much better than nothing

• MegsAreEvil
    MegsAreEvil Member Posts: 819

And a again: by a SWF. Stop your stupid complains about "genrushing" which just doesnt exist and referring by it to a SWF SQUAD with abnormal powerlevel. Get real man.

• Galklife
    Galklife Member Posts: 726
    edited August 2019

imo with genrush term is the same as with tunnel term:

tunnel can be: intentional like killer see other survs (or even in chase with someone else) but after unhook he ignores everything just to run into that freshly unhooked surv (which is imo tunneling),

and there is non intentional when killer is coming back to hook or walking after hooking someone else and only thing he can see is freshly unhooked surv but he cant see that urban evasion claudette that blended into bush after unhooking and then you cant blame killer because he cant just ignore someone and go away and spend like 20 sec to find anyone else

same is with genrush:

sometimes survs want to do gens before unhooking (which is dumb), think "someone else will unhook i will do this gen"(how many of us died on hook because 4Head mates did gens while thinking someone else will unhook), or survs just want to focus on gens extra hard because they dont like vs what they are playing like smashing gens vs hard camper or vs nurse/spirit/killer they hate,

and there is other side, killer isnt doing anything (i mean cant find anyone, or cant catch 1st surv in like 2min) then thats normal gens are done fast

and to finish that, there is game of feelings, some "affected" survs called me tunneler (while i rehooked them after hooking another 2 survs, or 1st surv died on 9th hook in the game), and same amount of "affected" killers called me gen rusher when last gen was done after 9min.

main problem is if they make games longer by default (like longer gens or 2nd obj that makes games longer) main beneficients will be campers which suffer from lack of pressure (which is good, they shouldnt be rewarded)

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Just add another objective. Increasing gen time screws over solos.

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652

Still..3 people on anprove thyself boosted gen takes less than twenty seconds

• NuclearBurrito

It takes exactly 27.7 seconds. By comparison if those 3 survivors were on different gens it would be an average of 26.6 seconds per gen.

• NuclearBurrito

Even 4 people is 21.9 seconds with prove thyself

Separately it's 20 seconds flat.

• NuclearBurrito

No. It's always faster to work separately regardless of build.

• NuclearBurrito

Prove thyself is only useful for the last gen since the math for doing it separate breaks down there.

• Galklife
    Galklife Member Posts: 726

@immortalls96 thats why i wrote about game of feelings, 3 ppl with prove thyself 27,7sec xd but you feel like it takes less than 5 sec (27,7sec without toolboxes)

with 3 survs on each surv is repairing with 0.96charge/sec (when 1 is repairing gen its 1charge/sec) so 3 survs are doing gen with 2,88charges/sec gen has 80 charges soooo 80/2,88 = 27,7sec but you feel like it was just couple of seconds which is irrelevant

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

Adding objectives or extending gen timers will only screw over all the yellow ranks and below. It will help even things out in purple and red perhaps, but it would greatly discourage the casual solo and casual swf groups, which would devastate the survivor population.

Bad idea all around. Changes need to be by ranking categories. Rank needs to mean something, and deranking should be limited to 4 ranks from where you peaked, unless you quit playing for an extended time.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

Gens times are fine, you might not be applying the right amount of gen pressure OR your chases are taking way too long.

Gens don’t get done if killer is properly patrolling them.

You talk about the need of a perk to fight something that is obviously an issue for you, well the same could be said about survivor perks. We need a perk just to combat Camping alone, we need a perk just to counter slugging. Doesn’t happen in every match but there are people who need these perks more than others.

That’s why there is a variety of perks because if gens were actually taking as long as everyone wants, you’d have people saying Ruin, Thana, PGTW are useless.

• immortalls96

If uninterrupted and overall it may be faster but it's not quite as effective most of the time depending on the chaser

• derperson
    derperson Member Posts: 130

OP, out of all the ways to slow the game down, try focusing on making the most of the ones you think make the smallest impact to get a better feel for them. I'm kinda special, so it took me a long time to realize that abandoning a chase that could go on for 30+ seconds would save me more time than committing to downing that surv. I realized I can hit em once and run to a different gen, which should only take about 7-10 seconds and be chasing a new surv that's not so close to a super safe pallet/loop. While im doing that, the surv I hit will probably spend about 32 seconds healing themselves with selfcare, which might be enough time to get a few survs off a gen or two, and maybe even down one.

Maybe, but I bet certain killers (and solo survivors) would agree that SWF is boring to play against/with. Because they sometimes do things like use solo survs as bait to activate perks like deliverance; or monitor and report to eachother where the killer is at all times, potentially denying stealthy gameplay. It's not cheating, but it's like SWF is the survivor version of face camping. I'm fine with it, so long as the devs keep adding things to counter it.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,975
  • NuclearBurrito

Interrupted it's an even bigger improvement to work separately.

Killer runs into 3 people on a gen and suddenly all 3 of them have to get off.

If he runs into just 1 person on a gen then only that 1 person is now being pressured.

• immortalls96

But he cant follow all three so 2 can return to the gen, regardless whether or not you pressure multiple gens at the same time prove thyself exponentially increases gen output especially when stacked with toolboxes

• NuclearBurrito

a 1% decrease in efficiency does not exponentially increase your gen output.

• immortalls96

Alright man..if you say so..I've only played this game for many hours now and have used everything I mentioned...

• NuclearBurrito

And again by comparison the other 2 survivors in the working seperately situation never even had to leave the generator in the first palace and are working with 100% efficiency.

AND there is the possability that the Survivor with Prove Thyself ends up being the one chased thus forcing you to work at a terrible 90% efficiency.

• rrichard023

It would suck for solo survivors, but imo if gen progress only took about 10 seconds longer, while it would be noticeable, it wouldn't be absolutely painful

• rrichard023

A lot of the time, my chases are pretty short, but I often still get gen rushed anyway. Ik that patrolling gens works, but it's so [BAD WORD] boring. It's like facecamping, there's no fun involved in it.

• Rasinbran
    Rasinbran Member Posts: 240

There's not too much impressive about doing generators

• NuclearBurrito

Hence my struggle. It's easy to get mad but I shouldn't be insulting people for doing their jobs effectively.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

The easiest way to address the gen rush problem is to buff killers other than the high tier killersmif you increase gen times then you also buff everything in the game for killers and we might have different balance issues because of it.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited August 2019

The Counter to Prove Thyself is Discordance. Use the tools you have at your disposal.

Just as the counter to genrush... is map pressure.

You can also build for Endgame. NoEd counters genrush because for sure nobody did any totems when they blitzed those 5 gens in 5 minutes, and you get easy kills after. Put in some Blood Warden and Remember Me while you're at it.

It all comes down to skill. If the survivors outplay the killer, the survivors win. If the killer outplays the survivors, the killer wins. This is not rocket science.

I've been in many games where Survivors couldn't get a single gen off because the killer exerted a strong map pressure and killed us all before we could finish a gen. And I've done the same to some newb survivors who had no idea what they were doing.

People are way too concerned with balance, especially when they only have a very narrow view of the situation (their own perspective).

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

Prove Thyself is actually good and has its use, but it's not something for genrushing.

As you said, it's faster to complete gens separately. Always.

Prove Thyself is invaluable when the killer is good at patrolling and defending gens. This is when working together to finish one gen faster becomes important, because if the killer is able to protect gens properly it's very hard for a single survivor to get a gen done.

Prove Thyself helps you cut the time on one gen drastically to get things done in between patrols.

And yeah, this has nothing to do with genrushing.

• TeaLeaf
    TeaLeaf Member Posts: 205

Nothing can be done, complaining about gen rush is like complaining about camping. It might not be fun for one side or the other but its within the scope of the other sides purpose and objective. End game builds such as blood warden and NOED can offer some flexibility if you think gen rush might happen but the games a largely based on making guesses on what you will face. Uncertainty after all is part of a horror game.

• AnnaEliza365
    AnnaEliza365 Member Posts: 141

I agree kind of. I know when I play killer I get gen rushed a lot. ...a loooot. However, as a survivor, especially in the lower ranks, I find some survivors just impossible to play with. They're still in that phase where they're scared of the killer, and then they hear the heart beat and panic! I missed two rank resets because my old Ps4 broke, and I had to wait on a new one. I have been stuck in the low green ranks for three god blessed MONTHS NOW because I'm the only one who ever seems to do anything. And, then I get caught and left behind.

I agree that there is a lot of gen rushing, followed by the toxic butt dancing. But, I don't think everyone should be punished for it. Just like not all killers should be punished the killers who are no mercy butt nuggets.

• SenatorAcadia
    SenatorAcadia Member Posts: 72

Why would survivors not rush? Gen Dawdle sounds like a terrible strategy.

• Wubsyy__
    Wubsyy__ Member Posts: 116

I wish people would stop saying the solution to gen rushing is making gen times longer. As both a killer and a survivor player, I can say I'm not fond of holding M1 for a solid minute and a half. The solution needs to be some sort of secondary objective, like the Halloween event with the plants, or the lanterns. Though in order to be an actual secondary objective, there would need to be some tweaking done. Still, I think secondary objectives would not only make games take longer, but not make it more boring while doing so.

• Glory
    Glory Member Posts: 241

Prove thyself saves 4 seconds if two people are on a gen, and 7 if three are on it. It does make powering through ruin easier, so I feel you on that. I only use it to get easy objective points (1 gen = 5k+ points)

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,129

You mean doing the objective?

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,857

Halloween event and Moonrise event is literally huge bloodpoint farming event. worst yet, when people are done with event, they stop doing the event and then the problem continue to persist. Besides, the definition of secondary objective is an objective that you don't need to complete to win the game, but help you win the game if completed. Totems are already secondary objectives and many killers run Hex:Ruin or NOED and when it comes to Hex:Ruin, It's become almost mandatory perk and When it came to NOED, everyone hates facing it. The only thing that developers have done to try slow the game is create a bunch of plaster fix perks to try slow the game, however none of them have accel at stalling the game, because if they did, the survivors would just complain that perk is busted/unfun to play against. All that says in nutshell is that survivors aren't really interested in improving the game balance even though game speed is kind of a problem that will continue to grow worse and worse as survivors continue to improve at the game.