Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

David King is the best survivor to start with CHANGE MY MIND

2»

Comments

• BloodyNights
    BloodyNights Member Posts: 526

@thesuicidefox

That just sounds like a horrible time for a beginner saving someone and going down just for stacks for WGLF. But then again....your name is Suicide Fox. lol

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047

New survivors should then learn to do gens maybe ? Maybe that's why I keep seeing survivors suiciding even in red ranks for a hooked survivor, because WGLF teach them to do so. Maybe not everyone has or wants to bring a Medkit, in that case SC+BK is worth using. Also, you can die on first hook even with WGLF if you are the first one being chased and then the killer camps you. No stacks for you then.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

You talk of Urban Evasion teaching bad habits, but the perk that teaches the most bad habits is We're Gonna Live Forever.

How many generations of farmers have grown up on WGLF again?

Please, don't use that sorry argument as reasoning against Urban Evasion.

• chieftaco
    chieftaco Member Posts: 230

"served with stuff to help them learn the game like Deja Vu or Premonition. "

please don't ever say things like this in reference to being good in any manner.

just don't.

eyeball perks are garbage.. they're whammies, period.

as for premonition, please allow me to nutshell it for you:

some more advanced users may not use it like this (maybe??), but definitely for new players:

once every XX seconds, if the killer is within range, you hear a noise and see a blinking thing. this tells you the killer is "coming" so you should stop what you are doing immediately and go find somewhere to hide.. you stay there until there is no more heartbeat and then you creep out and slowly make your way back to what you were doing, but then PREMONITION goes off and the killer is "coming" so you better just stop, turn around, and go hide..

when we say the killer is "coming", of course we mean the killer is kinda over in maybe that direction somewhat, at an angle maybe? also, guess what.. the killer is always kinda over in maybe that direction somewhere within every XX seconds anyway.. this doesn't mean he is actually "coming", nor that it would ever be a good idea to stop what you're doing and slowly move away to hide.

more likely than not, the killer is chasing me not far from you and everything is good.. keep doing what you're doing, get your bonus BP for doing it so closely within the terror radius..

a much better alternative (and keep in mind this whole post is about a new player starting the game) would be spine chill. it has no cooldown so it works all of the time. it encourages people to keep doing what they're doing while within the terror radius by offering multiple indicators. the first indicator lets you know when the killer is within a certain range, but it also rewards you with an action speed boost if you keep working on what you are working on.

a second indicator lets you know when the killer is looking at you. if it remains lit, the killer is coming directly towards you (or standing still looking in your direction for some reason). a third indicator appears to let you know its time to get the hell outta there immediately..

best of all: these 3 indicators show up and are easiest to see if you are performing an action, right above and integrated to the action's progress bar, so it's in your best interest to keep working on something in order to see what's happening..

oh yeah.. and did we mention that it too is a perk that is automatically unlocked for everyone?

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

Just because you use Urban Evasion, doesn't mean you don't know how to run around the map.

What kind of silly thinking is that?

I have a 1000 hours and I still use Urban Evasion. I use it to EVADE not to crabwalk around the map. I know when to run and when to sneak.

I'm sorry it was hard for you, but there are people who didn't have that problem with UE and learned how to play properly within the first 50 hours even with Urban.

It's funny how you talk about how WGLF objectively encourages good habits, that's just wrong, and certainly it wasn't true back when WGLF wasn't nerfed to only work on safe unhooks. Today it's better after nerf, but the perk still tempts you to dive save, or do protection hits when you shouldn't just to get stacks.

Just like you were able to learn good habits with WGLF, there are people who learn good habits with Urban Evasion. A lot of people legitimately use it to juke and stealth, not to crabwalk all over.

• chieftaco

i don't think someone with 1000 hours urban evading needs to be calling anyone silly for having an opinion or any other reason.

we have already considered the perk from the aspect of a new survivor and multiple people have agreed that it encourages bad habits. urban evasion is fun to play with sometimes, nothing more. people who rely on urban evasion just look silly crab walking everywhere even if it's only now and then when they're doing it.

it does provide a user with an ability that is useful for not being detected as easily. users that are crouched are not as easily seen at a distance as players that are standing upright, depending on where they are standing or crouching.

people can crouch without urban evasion. the only thing urban evasion actually provides differently is it gives them the ability to maneuver from one place to another a bit quicker at a crouching height.

as much as you want to call this a mandatory perk for "the time you need to sneak", it really doesn't make sense. for every time you are able to crabwalk out of a situation, a hundred people do it without crabwalking, making it just ultimately a silly perk..

• NeaKarlsson
    NeaKarlsson Member Posts: 40

Claudette is better. DH is not that great unless the killer is not great (or a nurse)

points are cool but meh.

claudette offers self care and botany which helps you and your team

• BloodyNights
    BloodyNights Member Posts: 526

I like Urban Evasion myself, so I got your back on thinking it's a half way decent perk. It may not be the best perk ever. But it isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. There are plenty of times were just walking wouldn't cut it, but crouch walking at the same speed as normal walking allowed me to avoid detection, it also made the killer paranoid that he couldn't find the survivor who kept touching the gen, so he kept walking back over to try and find me wasting his time by a huge margin. Also sometimes it takes the killers an extra 30 seconds to even find you due to maneuvering around things. Once again regular walking wouldn't help. 30 seconds added onto a chase with the killer trying to find you, and then initiating a chase is pretty huge.

It's biggest drawback however isn't the crab walking crap, only short sighted people do that, or even think that's it's draw back. It's the killer might have spent 30 seconds finding you, or it could be 5, but if you get found it might be too late to get to a pallet or window giving them a free hit before the chase.

• deadlycast
    deadlycast Member Posts: 45

For beginners kate is good. Window of opportunity is very useful. Allowes you to find pallets that are not broken. Which is key for beginners.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Except WGLF was changed to stop farming. Now that it requires a safe rescue it actually teaches you good habits, like saving someone such that they don't get caught right after the save.

If you have played the game for a while you might know when to run around the map. If you just started the perk teaches you to crouch walk everywhere.

And sorry but even good players know that UE is a wasted perk slot. It just does nothing beneficial you can't already do yourself (hide from the killer). It has a few specific uses but that's it.

Eyball perks are garbo... for experience players. For newbies though they can actually make a huge difference. Kindred, Deja Vu, Dark Sense... all the perks are FREE and give the survivor information that can help them learn the game and get better.

• chieftaco

"Eyball perks are garbo... for experience players. For newbies though they can actually make a huge difference. Kindred, Deja Vu, Dark Sense... all the perks are FREE and give the survivor information that can help them learn the game and get better."

i'm sorry but no.. the only eyeball perk that is even remotely useful is kindred, but it only is useful if you are trying to convince worthless teammates to maybe feel bad enough to come get you from the hook. people will tell you constantly (as they tell me) "if you don't want to get left on a hook, bring Kindred, problem solved. to that i ask why they think it's okay for me to have to bring an extra perk for them to maybe convince them to play the game if it feels like it's safe enough..

if you are legitimately talking about new players, i think we have enough current players that are super bad & the last thing i would ever want to do is "encourage" them to get their feet wet in a manner that encourages them follow in the footsteps of the lousy.

the game is very easy to play when you don't rely too heavily on information you're not supposed to have.

deja vu shows you 3 closest gens when a gen is started.. do you not consider it to be better if the survivor gets used to exploring the map and locating? focusing them toward the generators and giving them a direction of where to go immediately now that you finished this one lowers their likeliness of looking, exploring, and learning and turns the experience into one that's more like a race where much information and experience is just totally lost on the individual.

dark sense shows where the killer is when you pop a gen, essentially saying "don't run that way and you're good.." i don't need to be told what areas to avoid, as it is much better being able to see with your eyes what is going on. if i'm encouraged to avoid the killer completely, i eternally get freaked out when the killer is nearby.

too much emphasis is placed on the avoidance of the killer (in real world experience) and not enough information is given letting people know that avoiding the killer takes a combination of a little bit of what you hear and a whole lot of what you see.. it's totally okay to be right next to the killer working on a generator.. you get way more points and you get to watch other people do the looping and the taking of hits and it's a super dope show you would have missed if you weren't there to actually see it..

when people bring kindred they reveal the location of the killer to other survivors. other survivors will use this information as confirmation whenever possible that they are off-the-hook and don't need to go rescue you because they can see the killer is kinda over there still a little bit, kinda, maybe.. guess we'll keep working on the gens and say "sorry he camped you" at the end.. people need to understand that not only is camping part of the game, but so is BREAKING A CAMP, something you will never be able to do while running and hiding from the information you receive from eyeball or other general-freak-out perks..

giving a person perks to make them even more scared than they need to be is never a good idea, period, making eyeball perks complete garbage and, in essence, a whammy.

• thesuicidefox

Dude what the hell are you talking about.

Eyeball perks are very good for new players. Deja Vu shows them where gens are so they can learn how gens spawn and so they can never have a situation where they can't find a gen. Dark Sense is like a worse version of Alert, but given that new players have no idea how to track a killer any sort of aura reading on the killer will help immensely.

Also having Kindred is not going to guarantee you get saved. Your chances are better but I've still seen instances where people were left on a hook to die when they had Kindred. WGLF however will almost guarantee you get saved. Like I said I'd rather die on my third hook from a semi-farming session where we trade hooks than die on first hook because everyone was too scared to make a save and/or had no incentive to do so.

A good chunk of the free perks are very good for new players. They help them with some of the things they need most. Once you get better at the game they aren't going to help as much.

• chieftaco

i'm not sure why you're asking me what i'm talking about.. i believe i was very clear in my breakdowns.

deja vu does not help players "learn how gens spawn". IMO, what you are describing is a very big part of the problem with new (and current) players.

when new players come and ask people how to play the game, people respond with "just run deja vu" or "just run kindred" instead of explaining to them simply what a map tile is.

it's a portion of the map, plain and easy. you can visually begin to see over a number of games the same tiles but in different places. most map tiles could possibly have a generator. if you have visited a tile and didnt find a generator, proceed to the next tile and keep looking, they're not hard to spot.

the issues in finding the generators is when they're trying to play overly safe due to information they don't understand. if they see a killer is in a certain direction and they go the other way maintaining their "stealth", there's a good chance they're going AWAY from the generators that need to be done and TOWARDS a portion of map that is totally complete.

oh look, i just summed up everything anyone could ever learn from both deja vu and dark sense in 3 very short sentences that are perfectly clear and explain very well to someone who is new why they should never run eyeball perks, unless of course the main idea is to keep getting more and more new teammates who understand this game as a last man standing, king of the hill type game, in which case f the new guys, let them learn the hard way like everyone else attempted to but probably never learned anything.. :)

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

Ezpz spirit mainnnnnnnnnnnn duuuddd.

I just cringed. :(

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Why would I?

If one wants to farm BP with Survivors, he's the one you need.

If you want a balanced 2nd-chance Perk, he's the one you need.

If you want a Perk that provides a challenge, he's the one you need.

If you need to fulfill your desire of playing as a topless male, he's the one you need.

• pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510

Claudette is hands down the best survivor for new players.

I’m seeing a lot of discussion about how self care is bad and teaches bad habits but you’re saying that from a mountain of experience and a mountain of medkits. New survivors have neither.

I remember being a new player and I felt so lost, vulnerable, and scared if I got injured and my friend died. Self care gives new players confidence in surviving as an alone wolf and it gives solo veterans the assurance heals are always available.

Botany AND Empathy are both really good for beginners because unlike Bond, Empathy is map wide and provides the survivor with knowledge of where the killer might be. Botany is great all around but especially handy against Sloppy Butcher - a popular generic perk - and it encourages the survivors to want to support their team. I remember being a newbie and I was TERRIBLE at gens but I felt I could contribute by being the healer.

Tldr; Claudette is by far the best because ALL of her perks are useful for beginners that allow them to survive on their own and she is not locked behind a paywall. David is one of the worst to pick up first because he is NOT noob friendly.

Learning stealth play is valid and it teaches the foundation of the game. When players get more experience, then they can start playing more boldly. Trying to shoehorn new players into the run’n’gun play style kills the fear of dbd quicker (I miss the days I was SCARED to play dbd as survivor) and it might outright even discourage them from playing altogether if they run around and get hooked to death off the bat because they don’t know how that style works yet.

• chieftaco

your opinions are 100% valid in terms of a solo scared new player. someone worried about being spotted or killed and wanting to enjoy hiding from a heartbeat and pretending to be a rock or a crate or whatever it is.

in terms of making recommendations to a new player, it's hard to suggest that as the best way to have fun in the game and be able to progress quicker and easier.

i'm not sure i would ever want to invite new players to play with me and say "don't worry, whenever you get scared, just hide really good and try to fix yourself up.. everything's gonna be okay.." i don't think of that as being very fun for anyone. you can still get the same rushes and thrills and even better ones if you actually do things.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Yes, only simply for WGLF. It will cut the BP grind. Dead Hard isn’t as good as other exhaustion perks for newer players.

If we are talking survivability, Meg and Feng are easily the two best.

• thesuicidefox

Claud doesn't teach you stealth though. She's like automatically a stealth survivor because she's hard to see. Like I've chased Clauds where they literally just disappear right in front of me, and at no skill of the person playing. She just blends in with certain objects. She's a chameleon.

Again playing Claud will teach you bad habits because you think you can just hide any where at any time, when in reality you can only do that with Claud. If you want to actually learn to play stealthy you'd need to play a character that isn't invisible to begin with.

She might be an effective character at low ranks but you definitely aren't going to get better playing her compared to other survivors.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I’ve actually learned that this is possible with other survivors, Quentin, Tapp, Meg and Jake Park.

• thesuicidefox

Yea but you can't just hide in some grass or in any dark corner as these characters unless you have certain cosmetics. These characters have to go out of their way to make it work. Claud is just camouflaged by default.

• chieftaco

possibly why a semi-popular smol little puppy doesn't wear his own shirt in game?

:)

• pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510

I don’t think that’s true. Claudette can disappear when you prestige her or buy her certain cosmetics but let’s be honest - new players will not be doing either until they know they enjoy the game.

And new players will not know enough to stand still right in the killer’s vision - they’re going to get flushed out like birds.

You got to remember and think like a new player - all of your opinions and biases stem from thousands of hours of experience.

• chieftaco

when i was brand new people told me to run claudette.. i had maybe 2 games before i bought the charity case for $5 and got her pitch black jacket to don.

today there are many more blendy outfits available just as easily to a new player.

• thesuicidefox
    edited September 2019

No a lot of my opinions are based on playing the past few months on my second account, where at first I was limiting myself to low ranks (below 16) purposely to act as a sort of training ground for survivors (I'd let them go) and a free kill for killers. This is all observation of new players, like a science experiment but with more stabbing.

Most if not all new players just freeze in a corner when the killer comes around unless it's completely obvious they were spotted. I can't tell you how often I would just see someone hiding in plain sight like I was blind or something.

But the difference between a Claudette doing this and any other character is that, with Claudette this tactic will WORK especially against new killers that don't know what to look for. I would spot them almost immediately because I'm used to it, but I'm sure a real rank 20 killer would just walk right past them. Jake or Meg though, they stick out like a sore thumb.

So that's why I say she promotes bad habits because hiding in plain sight is not a valid tactic against good killers. It will work at low ranks, the player gets a false sense of security, they continue to do it as they play more into higher ranks and then hit a brick wall because it stops working. Now they are in a situation where they get found all the time because they never learned how to properly hide from the killer since their character just kind of did the work for them, and they probably didn't even realize it.

And yea, Claudette can hide right in front of a good killer I've had people pull that off on me. But it's rare and EXTREMELY risky to pull off. Hence why I say stop telling people to start with Claud. She is like auto-hiding mode for newbies and comes with a perk that teaches them to prioritize running far away to heal themselves instead of doing objectives or finding another survivor to heal them which is faster. She doesn't help new players learn the game, she just holds their hand a bunch and makes them think they are getting better when it's not them it's the character.

If you want newbies to get better at the game you need to challenge them and make them take some risks.

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862
  • chieftaco

yeah i'm not new and i miss blendettes all of the time (killer and survivor).. understand that this is where the unofficial "mori the blendette" rule comes from.

many killers understand when they see that blendette that the proper thing to do is stop whatever they are doing and get that blendette on a hook or out of the game as quickly as possible because you very well may never see her again. this works exponentially better if you can get it done quickly and not give them a chance to enjoy their sweet blendette skills before they're dead.

i couldn't tell you how many times i've "accidently" noticed a floating toolbox or medkit somewhere and done a double-take just to find out it's actually a blendette right there holding something. if it wasn't for the item in their hand i'd have never known. i can tell you that every time it's happened they immediately became the guest of honor in the game, at least for a minute..

:)

• TheGorgon
    TheGorgon Member Posts: 777

Theoretically, yes.

Psychologically, maybe.

Gameplay wise? No.