We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

Devour Hope should only light up at token 3

pemberley
pemberley Member Posts: 1,510

I think that would make it more appealing for killers to use because it doesn’t seem worth it when it’s forever destroyed before you get genuine use out of it.

To make it fair, since it is not noed and therefore not a “you snooze you lose” consequence to the totem objective, the devour hope totem should remain active from the start of the match - just not lit until exposed takes effect. In other words, the totem will APPEAR dull but if it is cleansed then it’s destroyed and the survivor gets the full 1500 blood simoleons.

Tldr; since dh is the only totem that has no instant value and requires the killer to not only work for it but incentivizes them to play fair and square (ie. No camping, tunneling) then the killer should be rewarded with getting the opportunity to make it work against survivors who don’t practice constant vigilance against their secondary objective.

Comments

• Might_Oakk
    Might_Oakk Member Posts: 1,243

Sounds reasonable especially if the aura istill visible to killer to trap n what not

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

Should be lit, but only shown to survs at Token 3. I played Devour a few times on Nurse, but atm it's to gimmicky to get use of it.

• pemberley

That is literally the exact opposite of what I said. Read the post again.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

Most hex perks should work like this, I don't think that Huntress Lullaby should light up until at least 3 tokens have been gained, Haunted Grounds should also only light when another hex perk has been revealed to someone.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

I'd be down for this. It's BS to lose DH before you can get some use out of it. At least the other hex perks can actually do something before going down.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,129

I still don't get why survivors get a notification I'm using huntress when no one didn't get hooked

• Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

While this might appear “FUN” as a killer, no one could also say that it would be fair to the survivors. When I run a totem, I do so as a deterrent. If I am lucky enough for it to stay up for a while, AWESOME, but I don’t ever rely on the totem staying up. Even as a deterrent, it does it’s job of slowing down the game “just a little bit.” So, NO, this should not be implemented.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Random idea that I never bothered thinking about balancing (just a quick fling)

Start of match HDH can get up to 3 tokens (works just like normal) and allows the instant down at 3 tokens.

Once the totem is destroyed for 60s (or "X" seconds) you can Mori people.

This way the totem has a function you can work towards should it remain un-cleansed and still has a function once destroyed but for a limited time.

(But won't that make Haunted Grounds useless? No it-...well I mean...LOOK I SAID I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT BALANCE!)

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

I think 2 tokens would be better. Or you know, we can fix totem spawns on older maps so they don't suck so hard. That would work too.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

People really aren't reading the post are they? The hex is still removable from the beginning of the match, it just doesn't give a visual notification that it is lit.

• Commander_Fluffles
    Commander_Fluffles Member Posts: 37

I like the totem being lit without it being activated, it has the thrill of finding a random lit totem with no known effects on the map and having to cleanse it praying that it is not haunted grounds.

Plus it really helps my Hex Roulette.

But in seriousness i think it is fine just the way it is, good totem protection will help you out and also placing pressure on survivors stopping them actually having a chance to cleanse your totem is a good shout aswell.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

Does it also make a loud noise if cleansed - cause that might be important in certain situations which is one reason why hex totems are lit.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
  • justarandy
    justarandy Member Posts: 1,711

I like that idea, would make it much stronger and good against swf groups. Solos tho... Well They always get the short end. It's gonna be massive for solos, devour will trigger every match against solos and probably won't get destroyed before its already to late and over

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited August 2019

Fine, but you shouldn't get an exploding indication as killer when it blows up.

I also like this because it encourages survivors to bust up all tokens when they see it.

But it is defintiely NoEd 'You snooze you lose' same thing. Let's not pretend it isn't.

• MinusTheBillie
    MinusTheBillie Member Posts: 349

Light up at 2 seems like a fair compromise

• jzinsky
    jzinsky Member Posts: 112

Surely if you cleanse the totem it should light a dull one, reactivate the hex and start again?

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,686

Hex: Devour Perk Slot

Text - This Hex is activated when a killer runs any Hex Perk that is not Ruin, NOED, or Haunted Grounds.

"My perk exploded before it could do anything." - Random Killer Main

• foochill1
    foochill1 Member Posts: 109

These arent even good ideas, just buffs

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

I don't know. For the insane effect it has when it gets to 3 tokens, I don't think it is fair if it doesn't light up until the third token. A perk that can be so powerful simply needs a lot of risk to be used. I mean instadowns and moris, that's quite insane. If anything, it shouldn't light up until it receives the first token. But not more than that in my opinion.

• HP150
    HP150 Member Posts: 455
    edited August 2019

Change it lighting at 2 tokens and I agree.

I don't think it's a ridiculous idea for totems to not be lit before they can do anything. Devour Hope, Huntress Lullaby, even Third Seal.

There's a reason why Ruin and (to a lesser extent) NOED are the only totem perks that can be considered meta; Ruin is always guaranteed to do something so long as the Survivors don't spawn on top of it and NOED either always activates at endgame or force the survivors to pre-emptively waste time cleansing totems.

Consider that a Survivor team has a total of 16 perks. If the killer gets an unlucky spawn or fails to babysit his totem for a split second when it counts then 1/4th (or 4/16th) of his perks are gone for the entirety of the game before he can see any use out of it whatsoever.

Besides, DH discourages camping. It's a healthy perk for the game, if only it weren't nonviable in "serious" builds. I'd say that if the totem lights at 2 tokens and survivors get the Hex notification then that is plenty time to react and plan saves accordingly.

Post edited by HP150 on
  • Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,683

Devour Hope is one of the strongest Killer perks in whole game. You can protect this totem hardcore and there are some tools to help you as well.

Devour Hope should not be buffed and this buff would be OP. If people complain about NOED (and in my opinion it's fine perk with counterplay), than imagine this. This would be OP. No, thanks.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

The whole point of hex perks is high risk/high reward. Not saying this always works in practice, but in theory they're supposed to be some of the most powerful perks in the game, which is why they're vulnerable to being disabled. DH is arguably the most powerful hex perk when it works, which is why it takes time to get it to that stage. Making it unable to be cleansed prior to that point would make it way too OP.

@darktrix had it right. Think about it - what exactly is the difference between a DH that exposes survivors at the same time that it becomes able to be cleansed, and NOED, aside from the fact that exposed is only the beginning with DH, it can activate much earlier, and cannot be stopped in advance, all of which only serve to make it even more powerful?

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

I feel like Hex Perks shouldn't light up until their effects are active because it's like knowing a survivor has Dead Hard before they even used it. :(

Devour Hope would remain hidden till 2 tokens.

Third Seal would remain hidden till a survivor is attacked.

Lullaby would remain hidden till a survivor is hooked, or when a survivor misses a skill check.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,233
    edited August 2019

Huntress Lullaby has an effect even before it gets any tokens. IMO, the extra regression is the main part of the perk, with the skillcheck ding sound being a nice added benifit.

I could get onboard with this

• Redcum
    Redcum Member Posts: 261

Would be better if it wasn't lit until 2 tokens. Regardless of the level.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
  • Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

Imo, this would be awful to implement. The whole point of devour hope (or even hex perks in general) is having a high risk/high reward perk. The totem stays up for three tokens? You get a one shot/a mori. It gets found early on? It sucks, but i think thats fair.

id like to see something along the lines of having all hex totems not lit at the start of the match, but then light up after x amount of seconds, so totems cant be insta cleansed.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,233

The perk can still be cleansed immediately, it just doesnt present itself as important.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143

I've been running it on my wraith unprotected and with ToTH on my billy I tend to get it up to 5 stacks (also billy can hide the fact the totem reached beyond 3 stacks anyway)

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

This season my lowest rank was 8 (I've de-ranked from there to ~11-12 range because all I kept getting at 8 was rank 2 swfs)

• FriendlyGuy

Yeah i'm usually playing in red ranks, swf are common in my games. The rank difference is the reason for our different observations i guess. :D

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

Eh even when I was at 8 survs would just ignore totems till last gen then disappear for a few minutes while they ran around breaking all the totems

• DRiBLE
    DRiBLE Member Posts: 2

So what ur saying is , u want another NOED. Besides the devs won’t do it because it would be unfair on survivors and every m1 killer main would us it paired up with NOED

• FriendlyGuy

At red ranks survivors usually don't instasave people when Devour pops up, they save last second stage and instead of it break your totem. Sure, you can just protect the totem, but then they'll know where it is anyway and break it while chase or just rush gens.

• Derp
    Derp Member Posts: 157

Like what some people have already suggested, I think it's best to have hex totems light up only when it's active. I mean Noed technically has this effect right now, which is what makes it so good. Now as for Devour Hope lighting up at 3 tokens, it should be 2 tokens instead because that's when it activates for the speed boost, and it'll also give the survivors some time to find the totem before they unhook carelessly and start going down in 1 hit. Huntress Lullaby shouldn't let the survivors know the killer's running it until the first token and have it lit after that. The Third Seal totem lights up after a survivor gets hit. These changes would indirectly decrease the amount of times Noed will work because it gives survivors a greater incentive to cleanse totems and it'll also help a bit against gen rush since they'll cleanse totems more. Overall, these hex perks are just gimmicks at the moment because they get found too early since the totem placements are terrible so making them last longer in any way would buff them drastically instead of changing their effects. Also, killers will use these perks more often instead of the old Ruin so it's a win for everyone since it adds more variety.

• Khaletsky
    Khaletsky Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2019

It should be lit as soon as it takes effect (2 tokens), what's the point of this perk if it gets destroyed as soon as match start because people can get lucky to spawn near it, I undestand when you put it both with Ruin and people accidently destroy your precious DH instead of Ruin, but when you put only DH and it still goes off in first 10 seconds is just plain dumb.

Exactly as he says. No point in litting a totem which doesn't do anything yet.

Also I recommend to everyone cleanse every single totem they find in the match, if everybody destroys every totem he sees there is a very good chance that you can destroy all 5 totems and NOED won't activate.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,686
  • Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259

"The only hex that isn't instant and you have to work for" Excuse me sir, but Huntress Lullaby would like a word with you.

• pemberley

I mean yeah, you’re right but it also has the capability to scare survivors off gens whereas Devour doesn’t do anything until token 3 that effects the game even in a situational way like Huntress can.

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259

Lullaby will typically never scare survivors off gens until you have at least 2/3 tokens. Unless it is a yellow rank survivor of course.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I would want this sort of thing to be applied to Hex Perks in general. Make the Hex totem stay unlit until a certain condition tailored to each Hex perk is met (like, for example, DH lights up when it gets two tokens).

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

#changebackdevourhopetier1

But also, yes.