The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why does console not get a ptb?

Just like in Rainbow Six Siege, both them and dbd have an early season for their players. However, it’s only for pc. Can someone tell me why?

Comments

• Chaotic_Riddle
    Chaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,953

Just not physically possible, due to limitations that consoles have. And, no, this isn’t a ‘PC master race’ kind of deal, it’s just how they were built, unfortunately. Plus, the devs only need a small portion of the community to test out the chapter before it’s live, so even it was possible, it just wouldn’t be worth the time.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Not exactly true. PUBG has a PTB on PS4 and XB1, it's a completely separate download from the actual game, though. I imagine it would be possible for Bhvr to do this but I doubt they see it as worthwhile at this point and I agree.

• Frugl1
    Frugl1 Member Posts: 72
    edited September 2019

The PTB is live on PC while the patch is going through cert by the console platform holders.

Sony/MS/Nintendo wont let you release code onto their platforms without rigorous testing to ensure that the certification requirements are met. These range from ensuring that the player is told not to turn off power while the game is saving, to how the game responds to certain edge cases for the platform APIs. This is all to avoid situations of players reporting bricked consoles because of a game, or worse, the game containing a possible platform specific bug that can be exploited to get access to the rest of the OS.

This process takes 1-3 weeks depending on the circumstances and the platform holder, and an app will have to go though the process all over again if it fails the first time and major code changes are introduced.

Hope this helps shed some light on it! :)

• ItzSoulz
    ItzSoulz Member Posts: 368

I think that's not possible because Steam allows betas and PS4 or Xbox does not allow beta

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210

Look at Sea of Thieves. There was an Alpha and Beta on Xbox back in the days and now we have Sea of Thieves Pionieers, a seperate build where everybody can apply an invite.

It's an MS Exclusive tho of course and i think it's more difficult and would take more afford to do this for Dbd on (soon) 3 plattforms.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

I love seeing this post every time new DLC is announced.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

To clarify a bit on what @Chaotic_Riddle said:

It is due to the games data having to be put onto Sony/Microsoft systems. As a result both parties will want to inspect the new data to insure it will not have a negative effect on their systems. This is why it takes longer for DLC or updates to be release on console, because Sony/Microsoft must first inspect the new data being given to them. Each time a PTB comes out the game has changed in some way, and may even change multiple times over the course of a PTB. This would not be an easy thing for Sony/Microsoft to inspect every time in a reasonable time frame and thus just simply isn't done.

On the contrary with PC where all the data being changed is simply using the PC as a means of projection/distribution and nothing is stored on the PC in a manner that can cause harm to the third party hosting the links. It also has no negative effect on any sites that host the links to this data (or is far faster to inspect/less risky resulting in much faster inspection times). Sure there are still risks but that's a topic I know far too little about.

This is a very brief and simple way to explain it and you could find much more information on the topic if you spoke to someone more "tech savy" than I.

• TheGorgon
    TheGorgon Member Posts: 777
    edited September 2019

I don't think you're right.

The very first response is from a game developer, he says it isn't the limitations so to say, but that PC and possibly Nintendo are much friendly to the idea of a "PTB". Not so much to say it isn't possible, but it would take much more work to implement and get it passed both Sony and Microsoft.

The one directly below says it's a possibility and both companies have said no. So no, it isn't any limitations. They could theoretically do it, but it would take so much longer that it really isn't worth it. Games like PUBG developed a PTB before they released it on both Microsoft and Sony, so they put the time and effort into doing it. Theory disproven, misconception gone.