The Bad Matchmaking is Hurting New Players

Before you say it, I know matchmaking has been complained about to death. At this point, we all know it's bad and needs improvement.

Yesterday, the first game I played, my friend looped the killer for two gens and then I looped him for another two in the same location. Killer DC'ed. We're all in green/purple ranks, but I noticed after the game that the killer was a R20 and I felt really bad, thinking about how frustrating and unfun it must have been to be in his position. I'm not a good looper - a killer at my own rank would have had no trouble catching me in that game.

After that game, maybe 2/3 of the games I had last night were against obviously new killers. None of them disconnected, but they definitely had bad games playing against people way above their skill level. I wasn't toxic or anything, but I didn't go easy on them either because what if they were actually a good killer who was just having a slow beginning, and taking pity on them would mean my death? And the same happened in reverse - getting a very new survivor in my lobby against a mid-ranked killer, who mercilessly butchered them in spite of my best babysitting efforts.

Higher-ranked players shouldn't feel the need to go easy on their opponents because they could be new. New players shouldn't be forced into games against veterans, where they come out feeling stressed and hopeless.

As I said at the start, everyone knows matchmaking is broken and needs fixing... I guess my point is just that I really really hope it gets fixed soon, because we're at a great point where there is so much potential to grow the community, and the matchmaking system is ruining the experience for them. It's just a damn shame.

Comments