The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Killer idea: The Cook

GeneralSpudmuffin
GeneralSpudmuffin Member Posts: 311
edited October 2019 in Creations

Name: Daniel O'Leary

Size: medium

Weapon: kitchen knife

Movement speed: 115%

Terror Radius: 32

Lore:

O'Leary was a man who loved his work. He owned a restaurant, was well known in is Brooklyn neighborhood, had friends galore... Each morning he opened his doors, he was greeted by the same familiar faces, all smiling happily to see him. His life was perfect.

But, as with all things, that changed. One day, when the local health inspector was making his rounds, he discovered a heafty nest of rats had formed in one of is walls. Not uncommon by the ports like he was, but bad enough to get him shut down. And this, he couldn't take. He had given everything for this place. His father worked himself to death in the shipyards to help him realize his dream. And now this one man was going to take it all away.

And so, he did the only thing he could. While the inspector had his back turned, he drew a freshly sharpened knife from the block and slit the poor bastard's throat.

As the rush of adrenaline left him, a mortal terror fell over him. He'd just killed a man. Without even flinching. And now, there was only a body left, draining like a gutted pig on his floor. He had to do something. Hide the evidence...

His friends praised and applauded him, congratulating him on this new "secret recipe", devouring every last scrap he served them.

It wasn't long before people began to turn up missing, starting with some of the younger ladies in the area. Eventually, the police followed the trail of evidence back to him, storming his home and business in the middle of the night. All they found that foggy morning was an abandoned restaurant, overrun with rats, spiders, and a cellar full of bleached, neatly piled bones.

Power: Razor's Edge

The blade is to a chef as a paintbrush is to an artist, carving out a masterpiece in the kitchen. But only if it's properly maintained.

-At the start of the trial, your blade starts with 50% Sharpness.

-By holding down M2, you will begin sharpening your prized tool. This will fill the meter by 5%/sec., slowing your movement and decreasing your turn speed for the duration.

-while sharpening your blade, all scratch marks will flash brighter, making them linger for an extra 0.5 seconds.

-once the blade reaches 100%, your next strike on a survivor will leave them Mangled, as well making them bleed profusely and Hindering their movements until they manage to heal. This strike will reset the Sharpness to 50%.

-Striking a survivor will damage the blade by 15%, where as striking an object will damage it by 30%.

-If sharpness reaches 0%, the knife will break, rendering it useless. The broken blade can be thrown at survivors to gore them, leaving them Broken until it's removed by another survivor.

-while your knife is broken, your terror radius is reduced to 0, and when empty handed, you move 20% faster and can not attack.

-a new blade can be procured from a locker at 25% sharpness. Blades from the killer shack or basement will be at 50%

This is still a work in progress. If you guys like it, feel free to suggest any changes or add-on ideas for his power.

Post edited by GeneralSpudmuffin on

Comments

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Bump

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Also, here's what the knife would look like, in case anyone wanted to know

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

How strong is the Hindered effect? How slow does he move while sharpening? Does the scratchmarks effect stack? How long does the Hindered effect last?

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Hindered is just base strength for the effect and lasts until healed alongside Mangled. While sharpening he moves at 90% speed, just a bit slower than survivors. Scratch marks flash every time he drags the blade against the sharpener, and the time bonus effects all scratch marks on the map.

All these things can be modified by add-ons. Thanks for the feedback!

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Here's his mori idea, too:

He walks up beside the survivor, stomping on the back of their head to stun them. Then, he grips their hair, pulling their head back like Ghostface and running his blade slowly across their neck. Their eyes bulge as they start to choke on their own blood, covering their neck and rolling over as he watches them flail about. And once they go still, he licks his blade and moves on.

• GeneralSpudmuffin
    edited November 2019

Alright, here's what I got for perks so far:

1.) Bloodthirsty

During a chase, you earn Bloodlust 3/6/ 9 seconds faster. Injuring a Survivor will not remove Bloodlust, but your swing recovery on hit is 30% longer. Upon leaving a chase, Bloodlust will linger for 10/12/15 seconds.

2.) Out To Dry

Hooking survivors does not force progression of the hook timer. Time on hook drains 5/10/20% faster while at least 32 meters away, and the Struggle stage begins once there is only 25% time remaining.

3.)Sadomasochism

Every time you're stunned by a survivor, you gain a token, up to a maximum of 5. Your movement speed is increased by 1/2/3% per stack. At 5 stacks, you may consume them to kill a survivor by your own hand. A stack will decay every 6/7/8 seconds when not in a chase. Stacks do not decay while in a chase.

Post edited by GeneralSpudmuffin on
  • Amievil
    Amievil Member Posts: 24

IMHO this concept would be completely good, if there wasn't The Ghostface, because his ability is in the same niche (dealing extra damage to a single survivor by M1 attack) and it's insta downing, instead of The Cook's weakening. Also, The Cook uses a kitchen knife, which is already used by The Shape, so I guess it's better to be a butcher cleaver, than kitchen knife or something else. You know, there are a lot of knives in the game, it gets boring.

Mori is good in spite of the simplicity, nothing more to say. The story concept is great, because it's almost brand new type of killer motivation, just a little similar to The Legion.

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Thanks for the input, man! And yeah, I guess you're right about the knives... But then again, there's a reason why they're so popular amongst killers: they WORK lol

Also, any similarity to Legion is completely coincidental. I'm not exactly current on lore or backstories, per se.

Also, any thoughts on the perks? Other than the first one, I came up with these practically on the spot

• 8obot1c
    8obot1c Member Posts: 1,129

An add on that at 100% you can down a survivor, but the percentage goes down extremely

• GeneralSpudmuffin

I had a similar idea, one where it would drop the sharpness to 0%.

• Amievil
    Amievil Member Posts: 24

1) Bloodthirsty - 5 seconds is 33,(3)% of the time needed to activate "Bloodlust"; not removing after the injuring (when there already is "Play With Your Food", which does lose a token after the hostile action); 12% swing recovery (when old "Unrelenting" was about 6%) - this perk is completely imbalanced. Only the lingering after ending the chase seems both practical and balanced.

2) Out To Dry - this perk is interesting, but it may cause more hook camping play.

3) Sadomasochism - It may give a huge amount of additional movement speed during a short time and it doesn't decays that strong for its effect (a way much powerful than PWYF) - OP either

You're creating imbalanced perk concepts, but the core of them is good, you should imrprove the concepts - I'm telling it to you as a Killer main.

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Thanks for the input, I'll put that into consideration.

Also, I see the concern about Out to Dry, but I don't think it would be that big a problem. The point of the perk is mainly to farm points from hooking people as many times as possible. Camping the hook would just waste the potential of the perk, and also waste precious time while gens get completed.

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Edit: changed how a few of the perks run

Bloodlust:

-increased the speed at which Bloodlust is earned

-added a cooldown of sorts to balance that Bloodlust doesn't end on injure

-removed the swing speed alterations

Sadomasochism:

-shortened the decay timer

Anything else need tweaking? I'd love to hear your feedback!

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267

I like his power of sharpening his blade to increase his power. How is he sharpening his blade? With one of these? Or with something else?

An add-on could be the type of tools that increases sharpens percentage and the types of knifes.

Like an add-on would be a Stainless Steel Boning Knife ' Flexible and durable culinary blade that cuts though meat and bone like butter ' First hit is already at 100% sharpness. Another add-on All-in-one Wetstone ' Sharpens the blade fully in just 3 swipes' Gain percentage 33% per second. Also one that can give extra bloodpoints like the Trapper one. 'First Knife, A dull blade that has been though so much, can't bear to part with it. The blade can't be sharp ever again, gain 50% extra bloodpoints when meter is a 100%. IDK something like that.

I like the story too, and i said i liked the perk Out-to-Dry, because you can combine with perks; Dying Light, Furtive Chase and Devour Hope.

I can see how Sadomasochism can be super strong, but it depends on how the killer plays and if the survivors learn from it. Like Spirit Fury, survivors would throw down pallets early to prevent from happening. Also survivors can also hide during the perk is active. So it's okay, i like it.

Blood Thirsty is a cool perk. Would bloodlust comeback after you go in to chase again, like you never lost it. Or would you lose the bloodlust after 10/12/15 seconds?

This is very good though. 😃

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Thanks for the input!

Yes, that's essentially how I saw him sharpening the blade. I just never went to find a picture.

And for Bloodthirsty, the main effect is basically to let Bloodlust longer after the chase has ended. Let you get a bit more pressure around the map before it fades.

• Wuhelm
    Wuhelm Member Posts: 260

I really like the idea would be fun to play and against

• GeneralSpudmuffin
    edited September 2019

Thanks, man! Glad you like the idea!

Also, anyone wanna help me think up different add-ons for him? I was thinking it would be themed around like, different blades or materials, different knife handles... In fact, here's a few I've been thinking on myself!

Chitinous Handle (ultra rare/iridescent)

A smooth, shiny black handle, carved from the spindly claw of the Entity itself.

-at full Sharpness, you lose your red stain, and survivors can't tell which direction your terror radius is coming from.

Full tang handle (rare)

A knife handle where the metal runs down its entire length, making it more durable and stable.

-sharpness lost on impact with anything is reduced by 5%

Japanese folded steel (very rare)

This fine blade can hold an extremely fine edge, but the thin metal nicks and chips easily.

-you build Sharpness 15% faster, but the blade gets damaged 10% more on hit.

Also, can't forget your add-ons! Yours are pretty Damn cool, too!

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    edited September 2019

I think the ability is a bit weak. I like the idea of charging his weapon to make it stronger but I think against experienced survivors they won't let him get that first hindred hit. It slows down the game since it encourages survivors to heal when they are affected by the hindred status effect but if you don't get that hit then you will get looped pretty easily. He also has no map pressure which makes me feel like he'll be another clown.

Btw quote people so they can get notified when you reply to them

• GeneralSpudmuffin

That's why most of his perks are movement oriented. Give him a bit more pressure in chases.

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit upset at the lack of attention this is getting... Not that I'm too surprised, though, not many of these really do, from what I've seen...

• DeathEscape
    DeathEscape Member Posts: 313

The standard terror radius for 115% movement is 32, make it 32 instead of (standard) so there will be no confusions

• Critical_Fish
    Critical_Fish Member Posts: 615
    edited November 2019

The power is insanely unique, and I love it. That's all I can say, really.

Bloodthirsty's first effect needs to be buffed a lot, but other then that it is amazing. I myself don't care for bloodlust perks, but this one is interesting.

Out To Dry is a cool concept, but if hooking no longer forces progression, it should increase the speed of sacrifice a bit more. But either way I don't care for it supporting camping. Maybe it only activates when the Killer is a certain distance away?

Sadoma- um- big word is really good, but it should not boost the speed so much. Maybe 1/2/2% faster instead? With max stacks, it still boosts speed more than Play With Your Food and NOED, both of which are situational and easy to get rid of. Possibly just remove the speed boost entirely, and replace it with a different effect/effects for 1 and 3 tokens..?

Thank you for reading this mess of a response :D

I am aware I'm very late.

• NoOneEscapesNancy
    NoOneEscapesNancy Member Posts: 204

I like this idea a lot but I don’t know if dbd has ever taken an idea from a fan (I’m just guessing so let me know if I’m wrong), but this is a killer I’d really like to see in the game

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Thank you for your feedback, I love to see people taking an interest in my ideas!

And on the point of Out to Dry, I get the worry about it promoting camping, but I planned on it being used for the opposite, just hook and leave. Your distance idea is neat, though, I hadn't thought of that. I'll consider adding it later on!

• Ninjazowski
    Ninjazowski Member Posts: 2

I really like this concept. I think that it's really cool to see someone make a concept for a killer, especially if the killer is a chef.

• GeneralSpudmuffin

I got a survivor who's a food critic, if you wanna check it out! I'm planning on making a whole chapter for them later on

• GeneralSpudmuffin

Update:

-Added swing recovery speed debuff to Bloodthirsty

-Added distance limit for faster hook time on Out to Dry

-Decreased the haste bonus on Sadomasochism

-shortened the decay timer, as well as making it tiered

Also cleaned up some of the wordings, made it read a bit better.