Killer Idea: The Custodian

KigeAno
KigeAno Member Posts: 18
edited September 2019 in Creations

>The Custodian

>APPEARANCE: Medium height man in a torn, dirtied turn-of the-century military police uniform, armed with a bayonet.

>STATS: 110% Movement Speed

36m terror radius

>POWER:

Long Patrol:

The Custodian leaves a dark trail behind him as he walks, which disappears after 15 seconds. At any time, The Custodian may use his power to retrace his path (facing backwards) at a high (4.5x base, or 517.5%) speed, after a short (0.5 second) charge time. Once the trail is travelled along, it disappears. The Custodian is fully visible to survivors during the use of his power, but he suffers the blinded status effect (cannot see auras/notifications) for the duration.

Survivors who come into contact with the trail trigger a sound notification for the custodian that becomes sharper the more recent the contact point of the trail was made.

>BIO:

James McGrath always had a penchant for breaking things. From machinery to cliques - little escaped his curiosity for disassembly and examination. Having learned early on to conceal this strange drive, he kept his head down, and seemed destined for the life of a loner, until his parents, eager to preserve some semblance of respectability, pushed him into the ranks of the police.

Despite a reputation for sowing discord amongst his colleagues, McGrath made a name for himself on the streets of the city with years of disrupting rampant organised crime, becoming infamous for his ability to turn even hardened gangsters against their former partners. Such exploits rarely go unnoticed however, and McGrath's department soon became a target for some particularly vicious attacks. After narrowly surviving a drive-by that left half of his team bleeding out on the pavement, the city's bureaucrats saw fit to save face and disband the unit before losing any more officers.

James found himself stationed on the edges of a reservation, and with little of the challenge of cracking criminal operations, he resolved to employ his talents to break the spirit of the native communities that opposed state rule. Heralded with even more success than in the city, McGrath's iron grasp over the province led as quickly to promotion as it did subservience from his subjects. Driven as ever to dissect these groups, campaigns of suspicion and subterfuge marked his career, dividing once-steadfast communities into paranoid factions, easily dominated by the scant forces at his disposal.

Soon enough, change came in the form of liberationary movements. Hope and unity flooded the once-oppressed native enclaves and McGrath once again found himself the target of an insurrectionary force. A challenge had been made, and he knew better than to let a challenge go unanswered.

Calling upon the full force of the National Guard, he styled himself an expert on policing the tribes, and struck out deep into the native heartlands with a hitherto unseen brutality. Communities were uprooted, sympathisers interred, and any resistance was crushed. Making public his shows of power, McGrath's executions were gratuitously intimidating, frequently accompanied by the desecration of spiritual sites. A man determined to rip the heart out of the land had been unleashed, but history would soon repeat itself. As the movement he exploited for power spread, so too did news of McGrath's actions. Once more at the mercy of higher powers concerned only with optics, McGrath was transferred to the management of the internment camps he championed the use of.

Under watchful eyes, his reign was more subtle, drawing hope out only to crush it, coercing betrayals and distributing swift reprimands to saboteurs - many of whom disappeared, their fate nonetheless clear. Those who had hoped that confining his authority would lessen his vicious manipulation grew terrified at it’s magnification, realising the extent of his obsession. 

Retribution found McGrath here, on a nocturnal patrol. A lone bullet tore through the midriff of the custodian, followed by a volley felling his watchmen. Realising his impending downfall, he resolved to flee, leaving his men unaware and helpless as the insurgents took their revenge. Limping off into the wilderness and stranger lands still, McGrath looked only forward. 

His hands steadied. He would find a new master. 

He reached out to the fog, discarded his gun, and stepped forward. 

For where there are masters, so too must there be acolytes.

>PERKS

Quiet Deterrent: Survivors outside of your terror radius cannot see the aura of other survivors being hooked.

Hooking a survivor gives a single stack of Bloodlust that persists for 6/8/10 seconds

“Whilst it is tempting to make a show of breaking prominent individuals, martyrs are significantly harder to rid yourself of than the living.” - J McGrath: On policing the Natives of Sandwith

Tormentor: Survivors are put in the injured state upon cleansing a totem.

“Hope burns fiercely, but levers work best when smouldering,” - Memo on Noticeboard of North Sandwith Constabulary

Disciplinarian: Kicking a generator reveals the aura of any survivors who repaired it in the last 30/45/60 seconds.

The Aura persists for 2/2.5/3 seconds after kicking.

“When distributing punishment, direction matters far less than intent - nonetheless, selecting perpetrators is essential, even in the absence of evidence. Effigies burn brighter than loose kindling.” - Found in the journal of J McGrath two weeks after the sacking of Camp Iringham

>ADDONS:

Rarity debatable:

Increasing Length of trail by increments of 3 secs, Increasing Speed of travel when using power, Applying effects (Slows, broken exhaustion, etc), variable speed of power along length, reduced charge time, revealing auras of survivors crossing the trail,

Ultra Rare: Can no longer use power, however attacking will also damage any survivors along the trail, massively increased range however no longer get notifications for survivor contact.

THOUGHTS:

Hey so sorry for the wall of text, but the gist of the idea was to make something that fit somewhere between loop shutdown of the clown and an analogue hag, Base movement speed may be a little high, perhaps 110 would be more appropriate, but I feel that he could definitely still be mindgamed on longer loops. I thought this idea was interesting for some soft map control around survivors avoiding the trail, and potentially some more BRAINY fast movement allowing you to fork multiple survivors a bit more effectively than hag. Feedback much appreciated!

Post edited by KigeAno on

Comments

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

Holy ######### dude, I've seen similar abilities but it all revolved around a Fireman and a trail of flames, yours is actually good.

Activate this in a loop just before the pallet and if you time it right you can backtrack literally behind the Survivor almost if not instantly and smack them. This guy would also be a beast in the Basement, leave a trail going down and get a hit, teleport back up and smack then again. Surveillance would make this man a god not to be screwed with, kick a Gen and then just walk for 15 seconds and if anyone touches that Gen BAM slide right on back and smack them upside the head.

Because this ability will rival Spirit in a small scale he would need to have a slower movement speed. Sure Spirit's ability is completely different but this ability can basically do the same thing at loops, travel behind the Survivor without them noticing at an intense speed, and that is powerful.

But looking past that at your perks, they're decent. Quiet Deterrent is interesting, it is basically a different version of Blindness, kind of like a reverse Knockout. This wouldn't have any effect on Survivors who run towards you when you hook them though as everyone assumes all Killers have BBQ and Chili.

Tormentor needs some tiers but I will say I came up with this same idea for base totems and everyone fried me, but making it a perk is probably more balanced. Maybe it Injures them across all tiers but it has a 2nd effect that gets stronger. Or maybe Tier 1 effects Dull totems, Tier 2 also effects Hex totems, and Tier 3 brings back a destroyed Hex totem 30 seconds later.

Disciplinarian sounds like his most powerful perk, like a super charged version of Surveillance, I don't have any qualms about this lol. I see nothing that makes it overpowered, maybe decrease the times but that's about it, this isn't too strong at all.

• KigeAno

Cheers for the comment. 110% seems more reasonable on reflection - and definitely opens up routes for survivors to escape him with pallet stuns.

Quiet deterrent's first effect might be worth reexamining - a standard terror radius is still fairly large. I'm now thinking the radius should be 24/20/16m, otherwise it is fairly useless. Interesting that the bloodlust aspect went unmentioned - IMO the 5% speed increase that is maintained into a chase is the stronger half of it.

Tormentor has some key differences from Haunted Ground, but the interesting interactions with other perks still feel underwhelming compared with the plays you could make with HG. I think this could be fixed with the following:

"Survivors cleansing totems whilst injured will have their aura revealed to the killer upon completion for 2/2.5/3 seconds if they are more than 36/30/24m metres awayfrom the killer."

• TheUnendingNightmare
    TheUnendingNightmare Member Posts: 1,172
    edited September 2019

Injured for a dull totem ? No. It would be good if it triggered for an hex totem or maybe even put the survivor into the broken status for awhile.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

I didn't mention the Bloodlust aspect of QD because it seems decent, the speed boost from Bloodlust is 0.2 m/s which isn't really a whole lot, sure it can catch someone off guard but I think the Haste effect is actually more powerful, I could be wrong though. To me personally the main part of that perk is the hook Aura and the speed boost is a nice bonus that can be paired with other perks.

• KigeAno

Fair enough. The flat speed increase is underwhelming, but the speed differential between survivors and killers is arguably more relevant in chases. 0.6 -> 0.8 means that a survivor can only cover 3/4ths of the distance before the killer catches up, making lots of loops significantly less safe. This would be even stronger on slower killers e.g. Hag, Spirit, Treatment Doc - they could catch up to lost children in 2/3rds of the time. Nurse could straight up chase survivors for memes - enough said.

The idea was to make hooking survivors less of a trade-off for map pressure and potentially a positive pressure tool with the right situations / setups. Turns out the haste effect from 2-token Devour Hope is also only 0.2 m/s and wouldn't be maintained in a chase, same with the persistent but situational PWYF. NOED is even less, at 0.16, so it could well be that 0.2 m/s is better than it looks on paper