Matches being held hostage

I have a lot of time in this game, I’m very familiar with the systems and everything but honestly it’s baffling to me this can still happen in games despite all the newer changes to prevent it (Hatch close, EGC etc) so I’m just casually playing some Spirit for my daily and the match is going as normal, I saw at the start I was against two Nancy’s, a Steve & a David. Now by the time Steve and David are both Dead I’ve seen one Nancy one time and that’s it even despite looking on BBQ, pretty weird but I figured they were using lockers to hide auras and being really sneaky while doing gens. Well by the time it’s just the two Nancy’s there are still 2 gens left undone and I’m looking all over the map (Red forest btw) for almost 20 minutes, nothing. Not a single spotting or notification went off the whole time and I couldn’t trigger EGC cause gens still had to be done but none were even being tapped, at this point I went to get some food and figured I’d let them escape while I'm AFK, came back another 20 minutes later and the games still going, still 2 gens left undone. #########. At this point I go through literally every inch of the map too to bottom, every corner, every Bush, every locker until FINALLY I see what they were doing. They had been in my basement the entire time walking around enough to avoid crows and hiding in lockers to avoid BBQ reveals or when I came near. I had looked real quick a few times earlier and seen nobody and moved on. But seriously this was the stupidest thing I’d ever seen, doing nothing but purposefully stalling out as long as possible until I found them or quit, after the game I went to message them why they acted this way and all I got was “Maybe you shouldn’t play Spirit next time” and then they blocked me so I couldn’t reply or see their accounts anymore after the match. Absolutely ridiculous, I wish I had written their names down before being blocked but I wasn’t thinking about it at the moment.

Comments

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164

I had something really similar happen on the Red Forest map back during the Anniversary event. Last two survivors left. I was playing Ghostface (in the middle of prestiging him so he didn't even have Whispers, yet). For something like twenty minutes, the final two didn't so much as tap a gen. I finally found them together crouching around the edge of the map. I was pissed. I'd burned a Gruesome Gateau, and them trying to force me to disconnect so they could profit from my offering while I got nothing... I usually don't care about the 4k, but I made sure they both died.

• grtf47
    grtf47 Member Posts: 371

I disagree that anything should be done. You should be able to find the survivors. They may be noobs and are looking for chests or totems. If they are doing it on purpose, report them but this is a very rare occasion and doesn't call for any changes that need to be implemented for this type of situation. What if survivors aren’t hiding on purpose to waste time and their auora gets revealed. That would be unfair fair same with the Egc starting.

• TragicSolitude

If they're noobs they generally can't hide that well and will get found. Experienced survivors can hide around the map, avoiding the killer indefinitely. If they're not touching generators, they could be anywhere. We're not talking about them not doing the objective for a few minutes; we're talking about extended periods of time. Multiple survivors doing nothing but hiding for ten, twenty, or even more minutes is not okay. Being able to report people doesn't stop it from happening, and killers shouldn't be forced to disconnect and lose all their points or keep searching in these ridiculous situations.

• grtf47

@TragicSolitude like I said, it’s a very rare situation right? If you report them they should get a warming and then perma ban. That’s what reporting is for. No need to change a mechanic in the game

• grtf47

@TragicSolitude like I said, it’s a very rare situation right? If you report them they should get a warming and then perma ban. That’s what reporting is for. No need to change a mechanic in the game

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

start recording this and report them with the evidence.

no one forces you to play such annoying rounds, if they literally do nothing for like 10 minutes or more, just DC and look for a new game.

there is no problem in that, if you only do it on rare occasions.

• TragicSolitude

It happens to me when I don't use Whispers. Since I use Whispers 99% of the time, I have to assume that the reason it doesn't happen more often is only because I use that perk, and I shouldn't be required to use a perk to prevent something that's against the rules from happening.

I have noticed there are survivors who I never see touch a gen; I find them only because I have Whispers so I know what area to scour relentlessly, some area in the corner of the map far from an unfinished generator. That's disconcerting. That's one of the reasons I keep Whispers equipped. But again, I shouldn't have to equip a perk to prevent others from breaking the rules.

• grtf47

@TragicSolitude I understand you dont want to equip a perk to find survivors but thats not a reason to add a mechanic to the game. You were talking about survivors that hide on purpose to waste the killers time and I am saying that you should be able to report them instead of having the devs implement a mechanic that may/potentially affect a survivor that isn't doing it on purpose.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Except, when a rare occurence can happen when it shouldnt, and happens to multiple people, it should absolutely be looked at and changed.

It's the exact reason we HAVE EGC. Hatch standoffs were "rare" but happened. As did hostage holding after 5 gens.

• grtf47
    edited October 2019

@Carpemortum hatch standoffs were not rare. I have never been held or expereinced someone holding a game hostage and been playing for one year so its definitely rare

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

Just because something didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it's rare

• grtf47

@Weck yea I know that I’m not a doorknob dude lol. My point is that it’s a rare occurrence

• Alice_pbg

How would you know?

It could be a local thing, somewhere a lot of people do it, and we just happen to not live there

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620

I had a game exactly like that a few months ago, I was 15 mins searching for them until I had the idea of searching in the basement... When I found them they instantly DC.

I like to win as a survivor, but you can't expect that you will win every match, some survs have this line of thinking "if I don't win I will bother the killer" and that's not cool. Maybe something like this.

If gens remains without being touched in 5 mins then they become blocked and the EGC begins.

• VincentRedfield
    VincentRedfield Member Posts: 285

Is there something in the rules or terms of service that says they need to be doing gens instead of hiding? Hiding is a big chunk of the game.

I can see why you're upset but this really doesn't seem different than if a killet has a solid 3 gen strat and a survivor goes "he wouldn't let us do gens! He was holding the game hostage!"

• Alice_pbg

You mean, on the game of the guy that was afk for 20 min to get food because he could find anyone? And no progress was made? And the others admitted to be wasting time?

• VincentRedfield
    VincentRedfield Member Posts: 285

Is there a definition of what counts as hostage? Such as a doc with a 3 gen strat? Or if the survivors won't suicide trying to work that 3 gen strat?

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,695

Some of the replies in these threads are depressing.

There was one guy in the thread @Sairek made arguing with him that previously said he was at red ranks, but did not know there were 5 totems on every map @_@

It's pretty indicative of the people that support such behavior and advocate for ridiculous changes on both sides.

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 700

bUT OnlY KiLLeRs Are T0XiC!

Yeah, ran into some entitled Survivors myself who want to "punish" Killers for playing how they want.

• PigPlayer
    PigPlayer Member Posts: 2

I feel your pain. It happened to me quite a few times before, not just done by survivors but by killer(mostly Doctor) as well. Whatever the reason is, holding the game hostage should be prevented and punished. I hope the devs look into this problem real soon...

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Best solution I can come up with is base it on killer movement. Say 5 minutes without moving triggers egc. This would prevent people playing legitimately from being unfairly punished.

I remember a couple of times where the game went very long because I was looking for the hatch. The one the killer DC'd. I'm pretty sure he thought I was just holding the game hostage. But I was actively trying to find the hatch. The other I was hanging around the barn on one of the Cold Wind Farms maps because I swore I heard the hatch. It was actually on the opposite end of the map. These were both when I was a complete noob. Also examples of people trying to play legitimately while likely being misinterpreted.

• HellCatJane
    HellCatJane Member Posts: 698

Great examples! And this is what I was thinking about as well. You can't just say "not touching a gen" necessarily. Survivors could still be legit playing, but it is not interpreted as such, and its easy to think that because you don't know what the opposing side is doing. I've seen maps where killer spawned in AFK, maybe real life or something happened I don't know, but survivors do gens and walk out. My current thinking of a solution is to try to tie it in with the killer/moving/afk and/or with how long the match is in total, like an endgame no matter what. Like a match taking 1hour for example, seems a bit excessive to me..... either you kill em or you escape. Let the entity sort out the mess! lol

• grtf47

@HellCatJane Well as far as I know, there isn't a specific time limit to how a match is supposed to last. I believe that these are rare situations that occur

• HellCatJane
    HellCatJane Member Posts: 698

@grtf47 Yeah, exactly. It would be nice if they never happened, but I can't think of the best way to accomplish that. So yea :/ I can't really think of the best approach to it, that is like "Yea! That will fix it! and balance everything!"

• TragicSolitude

Something like, if the hatch isn't open and nothing has been done (gens, chests, totems, interacting with the killer) for ____ amount of time, then crows start popping up over the survivor's head. It'd need an algorithm smart enough to identify actually doing something vs tapping a totem/gen for half a second just to appear active.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

This is nothing new - survivors have done this crap to troll the killer since day one.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion the killer should have the option to go ahead and trigger the end Game Collapse after 20 minutes ticks off in the game. That'll at least force the game into a close.

People who don't want to deal with it can end the game honorably, and those of us like myself who enjoy the longer hunts can enjoy the challenge of tracking them down and feeding them to the entity. Win win either way.

• grtf47

@DudeDelicious So once/twice a week you run into survivors holding up the game on purpose for 20+ minutes? That's unfortunate

• grtf47

@DudeDelicious I'm assuming youre on PC?

• Blackowt_9120
    Blackowt_9120 Member Posts: 300

In that situation YOU were the ones holding the game hostage. He cant be on all three gens at once, you could have split up and started on all of them. Bottom line he was actively doing his objectives and none of you were doing anything but wasting time. You should be banned and I hopes you got reported.

• JustAFeeling
    JustAFeeling Member Posts: 324

You should run whispers

• TragicSolitude

The only killer that can actually hold you hostage in a 3 gen situation is the Doctor. If he keeps shocking you and putting you into Madness Tier 3, you literally can't do gens, and if he refuses to kill you, then you can't leave without disconnecting. No other killer can do that. And, if the Doctor does try to kill you, then he isn't holding you hostage.

If you refuse to attempt the objective, which is completing the gens in order to escape, then you are the ones holding the killer hostage.

• Blackowt_9120

And if he commits to a long chase it’s a guaranteed loss. He gets a smack in here and there and he’s still in the game. And HE CANT GUARD THEM SIMULTANEOUSLY. In that situation you split up and keep touching gens. He was doing objectives, you were going out of your way not to.

• Blackowt_9120

I’m sure I will, especially if something as simple as a 3-gen baffles you

• grtf47

@ElementAero Nah man Im not rolling, thats another issue and something the devs need to work on

• Irvin
    Irvin Member Posts: 130

Now I have heard of people disconnecting because they do not like spirit which is pathetic too because it makes the round even more difficult than it already is but hiding in the basement just to prove a point is ridiculous.

That being said I understand why they did it but surely it would of been much easier to just get on with the game and get it over with. The game in its current state is not fun vs Spirit, she has little to no counter play and any good killer can 4k almost every game with her. (Tried her to see what she is like, no perks or addons and got a 4k easily)

Adding mechanics to prevent this however seems a bit too much tbh, simply report them/record the game. Same goes for when a killer decides its funny to slug all 4 players and let them bleed out or even doing it to the last remaining survivor is also taking the game hostage imo and yes I have seen this happen once or twice.

I definitely do not condone Survivors playing this way but does that not tell you something? Spirit NEEDS to be nerfed.

• michaelrandom27
    michaelrandom27 Member Posts: 100

You don't need apostrophes in front of every S you type. You only need them to show possession.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

yea this happened too me as Wraith long before EGC. Game lasted almost an hour because they did this same thing. Report them too BHVR support so they get banned, and make a habit of checking the basement if 1-2 people are trying too hold the game hostage.

• Irvin
    Irvin Member Posts: 130

It is not about how much time, it is clearly another method of time wasting. I agree hiding can go on for a long time and is a much worse scenario.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

3 gen nest is in the hands of the survivors to prevent. All it takes is one or two survivors who know how to keep track of what's popped to prevent it.

If your team fails to prevent it, you got no right to complain when a killer decides to pitch a tent at the last three and wait you out.