The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

quick info about the rift for people who didnt see it

The Rift payed path costs 1000 auric cells (10€). But you also get a small amount of auric cells every few levels. At the point where you reach max level you have earned 1000 cells again. This means if you buy the pass once and play often enough to get max level you can buy the next one with the cells you earned (if they dont change the price). I think thats pretty cool :)

Comments

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

But will they come in the store ?

I'm genuinely curious about that.

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

That is an interssting way to do it. Cant say i heard of a battle pass you buy and it slowly refunds itself once you hit max.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

I hope it does work like that, it would be cool of them if they chose to do this.

• Grimbergoth
    Grimbergoth Member Posts: 293

so far , what I like is what is stated earlier you buy the pass but you have the chance to earn back the cells you spent thus making it free after the initial fee . As the OP stated if this remains the model then you could in theory pay once and continue through each one after .

If you compare that to other games who offer battle passes that are ftp they don't offer the ability to earn what you spent back and keep the cycle going . they at best offer the ability to earn 50% meaning every 21-30 days or however long it is you are spending 50% at best again .

So yes we paid for the game , or most of us did , and yes there is a chanrge to the pass , but if they maintain the ability to earn the cells back each set then it wouldnnt be any different then buying a skin set once and you keep it going .

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

@Blackadder

How dear the devs are trying to make money with their product!!!!

• Blackadder
    Blackadder Member Posts: 23

Yes, how dare they use totally not predatory monetisation to get people buy a pass and grind the hell out of the game to unlock cosmetics that they paid a pass to get. (not to mention the game already costing £15, the mountain of DLC and the cosmetic store. Let's just forget about that shall we?)

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615
    edited October 2019

Yeah because the charms n such will totally come to the store.

I'm willing to bet the charms will be gone for good and some things won't pop up after 6 months.

• Blackadder

I'm tired of the "don't like it? don't buy it" argument, it's a really cheap way of defending companies implementing things shouldn't be in the game, and if this goes well for them then i wouldn't be surprised if loot boxes became a thing.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for the devs making money off the game, but i'm sure there's better ways of going about it than this.

• Mookywolf
    Mookywolf Member Posts: 907

its honestly a very fair pass. i mean, same cost as a higher end skin to get multiple skins and charms, AND you can earn enough cells to get the next pass for free. and the skins wont be exclusive. this is one of the most fair battlepasses ive seen and i hope it stays this way

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

@starkiller1286 Apex Legends did just that. At least the Battlepasses did back when I played it.

• Blackadder
    edited October 2019

Yeah, then look at what Apex did with that event where they charged ludicrous amounts for cosmetics so that you could unlock a payment option for a cosmetic.

Whether i'm right or wrong about this (and I hope i'm wrong) my concerns are still there, something that may seem harmless at the start can turn into something that really isn't.

• Grimbergoth
    Grimbergoth Member Posts: 293

I see what you did there , lol . I remember the stream reference , Great one .

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited October 2019

@Blackadder I wouldn't know. I stopped playing Apex right after the first Battlepass came out, I just remember that you could earn the cost of it back throughout the pass if you leveled the entire thing. It was the argument people made over there as well. So, I was pointing out to him that BHVR isn't the first to do that.

Personally, I play DbD as a side game, so have zero interest in buying their Rift. I won't be playing enough.

I also didn't care for the fact that some Mastery Challenges will require specific Perks, according to their PTB release descriptions of it. Oh, but those Perks will go into the Shrine for the week the challenges release.

I see that as no issue for Vets who have everything unlocked. But for newer players, it's a disguised way to get them to spend their Shards on Perks for the challenges, instead of saving them for cosmetics. Which is a subtle nudge to pushing new players to buying Auric cells for cosmetics, since instead, if they want to advance their little Mastery Challenges then they need to get those Perks off the shrine.

I also doubt I will be doing most of the Archive. I like to play Survivor with my kid when he wants to play, so need to be careful not to advance my Rank since our little two man SWF under the MM changes would preclude us playing together. He's not going to be able to play against mid or high rank Killers. So, I don't play Survivor anymore except on the odd times he wants to mess around with Dad.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

Yea, the devs are incredibly greedy too have a 20-30$ game, over 100$ of DLC, AND now a battle pass that costs another 10$. I'm not surprised, but I am disapointed.

• Blackadder

That's really wholesome. I hope you both have fun together :)

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

Originally I didn't plan to buy it but now that I saw it I changed my mind. It's really well done and the cosmetics and all else are really well done while it costing 1000 AU that you can get back. That's pretty good deal imo.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

So, basically. All you have to do is not buy the oass until you max out. Then buy the pass get all the cosmetics and whatever else AND get your money back.

I don't see the predatory angle in this system. If anything, they are using it more as an incentive to keep people playing more so they can make money doing the things they already do.

I really dont get the hate

• Mookywolf
    Mookywolf Member Posts: 907

i wouldnt say that exactly, but i would say that you could in theory, spend only 10 dollars for access to all future battlepasses and nothing more. assuming it stays this way.

• Avocet
    Avocet Member Posts: 284

It is not free because you need an initial investment of $10 to get 1000 auric cells. Yes, you can get your auric cells back if you complete the track but those $10 will never re-enter your wallet again. You can only use them on something in DbD now. If the price of the Premium track doesn't change, these $10 could last you forever but that just means that the Premium track cost over several installments is $10+. Not free.

If you already have enough auric cells to pay for the Premium track, that means you've paid in advance, not that it's free.

• Lethal_Bacon
    Lethal_Bacon Member Posts: 4

Just saying for people that perhaps are not aware of this, Fortnite does the same thing where you get back a little more than the the money you payed for the battle pass in the form of in-game currency (Vbucks) so you make even and still have enough to buy the next battle pass (provided you max it out) plus a tiny little bit extra on top (provided you have done every sh**** find where the bird hovering over the volcanoes distant cousins cave is and spray paint a banana clapping emojii challenge) So don't think this idea is new and the devs are having a brainwave, because they are not, they just found a new way to monetize an already decently monetized P̵̻̮͎̣̜̹̹̉̈́̽̇ͅa̸͓̼͍͓̺͖̫̙̽̽i̴̬͉̖̐̒ḏ̴̡̡̮͙̫͈̀̓̐̚ game. Just to clear up a lot of the confusion.