"You ruined my fun"

So I'm a survivor main but I play both survivor and killer, and have reached rank 1 in both (mind you I haven't reached rank 1 killer since October 2018, and I'm not that good with killer anymore). With Dead By Daylight I notice an expectation that their opponent's job is to provide them with a "fun game".

To be honest this is mostly from survivors, who some believe it's the killers job to provide them with a fun game. Whilst it's not entirely survivors, I've had killers messaging me to declare that I am now on their Mori list because they couldn't catch me or because I saved someone with with borrowed time at the end of the game.

My response is that to those who have the opinion that it's their opponents job to provide them with a fun game, do you care about how much fun they are having in the game?

I certainly don't care about the killers enjoyment of the game when I play survivor. My version of fun is being able to be chased by the killer for a long period of time, till when all the generators are powered up, the killer is driven to facecamp me, or the killer disconnects (especially when I see at the end of the game, the killer is a red rank). I highly doubt the killer is having a wonderful time in those situations.

So I don't care about the killer's enjoyment, so I don't expect the killer to care about my enjoyment of the game.

Comments

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

↑This.

Its the reason why I've disabled the post-game chat and why I don't allow random comments on my Steam profile. No matter how I play, it ain't gonna be the "right" way. No point in trying.

• Nutty_Professor
    Nutty_Professor Member Posts: 621

If you are farmed off the hook that isn't really the killers problem. Although when I play killer I try to go after the unhooker, and try and slug the farmed survivor to prevent the farmer getting a safe hook bonus, but you can't expect every killer to do that. When I'm farmed off the hook and then instantly hooked again, my frustration is aimed at the farming survivor rather than the killer.

Also with generators, again if generators are done too quickly that is not the survivors problem either. It's more the killers fault for not providing map pressure. Although generators hardly get done quickly in my survivor games, I've been in chases which have lasted nearly twenty minutes, and not all the generators have been powered.

• Stompa
    Stompa Member Posts: 154

imagine what kind of human beeing you have to be to end up on one

• Stompa
    Stompa Member Posts: 154

if you say so, i highly doubt that, what brings a person to create a mori list in the first place? seme decent in a meta that caters to every millenial ree sound imo more like an insult.

but you can feel free to try and play killers like trapper or wraith without ruin and just try to "enjoy" the game. dont forget to pay close attention to the post game chat.

• Aldofer
    Aldofer Member Posts: 458

i never care or cared about other fun since all i see is abuse from the opposite team, and even if that weren't the case i find fun what other find unfun so better deal with it

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140

I had a survivor message me once to complain that the match was boring because I didn't chase her. She kept trying to loop me so I'd just ditch and go pressure gens. Apparently, that wasn't fun for her.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited November 2019

Not all Mori lists are for the same reasons.

I used to keep one for Sandbaggers but decided it wasn't worth the effort and let it go.

TheEntityLeftHand, a roleplay streamer, keeps a Blacklist of Offenders for those who don't live up to his ideals of how a survivor should act as part of his "Character". Those of us in his "Court" enjoy these bloodhunts for offenders as the best part of his show. Does that make us sad too?

• AGuyNamedKane
    AGuyNamedKane Member Posts: 71
    edited November 2019

Someone has to "lose." We can't all be winners every single match. That's just ridiculous to think that way. Move on and keep playing.

My advice for players? Stop letting other players get to you. When players cry and yell at you like spoiled two-year-olds, ignore it and move on. It isn't my responsibility to teach them how to respect others.

Edit: Spelling. I need to learn to type better on my phone.

• ASurvkillivorer
    ASurvkillivorer Member Posts: 1,840

I had survivors yesterday report me and threaten that im getting banned because I didn't fall for Decisive Strike tricks. A guy literally claimed its bannable to NOT pick someone up that you think has DS. He said you're supposed to try and pick them up anyways or else its taking the game hostage.

I have a REALLY difficult time believing some of these people are serious but there actually are people like this....

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970
  • oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

Personally I draw the line somewhere near letting the idea of causing other people to have a bad time be an actual primary or near-primary motivation.

I don't expect people to let me catch them or avoid catching me in general, but I do firmly believe that playing specifically to piss people off ("playing for salt") is a bit dumb at best, and straight up pathetic at worst. If people simply happen to get annoyed at however I play that's one thing, but I won't go out of my way to be unfun just for the sake of being unfun to play against.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

The best one I've had was someone messaged me that camping was ban worthy. When I told him that issue was already addressed by the devs, he said it was still valid, citing one of the version 1 builds. We we're in version 2.7.1 when this happened back in May. When I pointed this out: crickets.

• NinoV1
    NinoV1 Member Posts: 382

Funny, I’ve never been messaged by a salty killer, only salty survivors 🤔

• ASurvkillivorer
    ASurvkillivorer Member Posts: 1,840

I just NOW was the odd person out of a group. Got paired with an 3 person SWF group who of course lied about being SWF after the fact.

I finish the first gen myself then 90% a 2nd gen. Get chased by Myers someone finishes that gen and then they finish another one right as I get downed. 3 gens done thanks to me. I get unhooked and finish a 4th gen. A person gets unhooked and I team heal. Then I run to unhook another person and heal them.

Right as the 5th gen gets done I got super unlucky and Myers noticed me in T3 and downs me. As it expires the one player runs right past my hook all the way to the other persons who they then unhook and don't even try to come save me. If that wasn't enough I got am essage from one of them DURING the match that I "better come save them" as if I wasn't busy doing everything.

To think ALL THREE messaged me after the match. That has never happened before. I carry a team and they purposely let me die and then ask me why I was so useless even though I have the better score.....

• Huntress4Life
    Huntress4Life Member Posts: 48

I've made one sheerly for the people who screw their own team over, or for the ones who are absolutely rude and have DDos'd me. That's my only reason to make one, and thus it stays

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited November 2019

I think while you have a point, fun doesn’t necessarily mean “winning” for some people.

You can die as a survivor and still have fun, and you can lose as a killer and still have fun. Some builds are not “fun”... whether survivor or killer.

Everyone is allowed to feel that something isn’t fun. Just because they may point it out to you doesn’t mean you should stop doing whatever you’re doing.

Sometimes things just happen that make a match unfun. For example someone dcing at the start of the much, I don’t care how much you love Thana/Ruin/DyingLight that match is probably going to be boring.

• terumisan
    terumisan Member Posts: 1,293

I had a survivor tell me they were going to facecamp and mori me so I responded how will you mori me if you facecamp

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310
    edited November 2019

Sorta low-key makes me hope the killers actually Mori tf out of you.

Don't worry tho, I deserve to be morid and camped.

• Revansith
    Revansith Member Posts: 367

As a gray 20 killer I am not anywhere near good enough to "win" a match or hook anyone. But I did try to make the match fun. Sometimes the relief of a survivor having a match where the Killer isnt trying to exterminate the entire team in under three minutes makes for a more enjoyable game.

• StrickxNyne
    StrickxNyne Member Posts: 230

I'm seeing a ton of "it's your own responsibility to have fun" however when most of us have fun you call it toxic and cry here. Ohh they crouched and showed off that u couldn't catch them 😂 😂 it's only toxic when you suck and someone else isn't making it fun for you. Get over yourselves honestly, either you want this to be a fun game or you want this to be a game you can win, it'll never be both 🤷‍♂️

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited November 2019

My opinion is not that it's my opponent's job to provide me with a fun game, so to speak - rather, it's that everyone should play with good sportsmanship in mind, and if that happens everyone will have fun.

Do I care about the killer's enjoyment of the game? Absolutely. I never BM, I never teabag or click my flashlight, and I don't bully or taunt the killer at the gates. If I do anything that makes the killer's experience less fun, it's because it's necessary to ensure the safety of my teammates (like bodyblocking for someone who's on deathhook). If the killer is obviously new, I go out of my way to give them a fun game. I might even let them kill me just to give them that sense of achievement. When I play killer, I like to play similarly decently - I don't camp, I try not to tunnel, often the only people I even kill are the ones who BM.

So yes, I care very much about my opponents' experience. I don't expect the same from them, but I do hope that they might have some concern for my enjoyment just as I have for theirs, and be a good sport in their approach to playing the game because in my opinion good sportsmanship is just part of being a decent, empathetic human being.

• Cecaelia
    Cecaelia Member Posts: 79
    edited November 2019

Yes actually it does. That is just griefing, it's not anything else and I wish BHVR and Twitch would crack down on it. You guys are doing the EXACT same thing you say you don't want survivors doing. "Don't tell me not to use NOED!" Meanwhile: "Omg that survivor cleansed my ruin?! Omg they are going on my blacklist and I'm going to tunnel/camp/stand on their slugged body them every time I have them in my lobby!" It makes it worse because the survivor cannot tell who they are playing against so they have to be apart of the dog and pony show. Not only that but he is going out of his way to make the match as unenjoyable as possible for someone else and belittling people in front of hundreds of people, and in turn allowing them to make fun, belittle, add them on steam to make fun of them some more. The prime example of twitch streamers weaponizing their communities against people.

He is the perfect example of why MLGA existed. Like the spitting poster boy. E. w.

• Cecaelia
    Cecaelia Member Posts: 79

Yes, I'm the same way. But I'm not going to make an entire website and stick your name on it and then grief you every time you come into my lobby, and then make an entire event around it and make fun of you in front of hundreds of people...with hundreds of people. Pretty sure they use a word legally for that type of behavior too.

• miku1
    miku1 Member Posts: 12

Can't we all just get along lol

• MathiaStef
    MathiaStef Member Posts: 132

This is the DBD forums where everyone but you is wrong even the devs are wrong

• LegionMain343
    LegionMain343 Member Posts: 198

You're on my mori list now, just maybe facecamp uwu

• I understand what your saying and I'll phrase my opinion like this. While they don't need to give us fun, it is very upsetting for them to specifically try to make it unfun on purpose. Loop me all you want, I'll hook your or leave you but I won't tunnel or camp. Just play normally, not to make someone upset, I don't need it to always be fun and I'm fine with a challenge, but this 4v1 was not made for the killer to choose me for a 1v1 until I die with 10000 blood points, causing them to get less blood points too. So if your not playing for fun or objective, why do you do this?

• jaybird
    jaybird Member Posts: 1

I have played this game for some time not saying by all means I'm good but there are on both side toxic killers and survivors. I play mostly survivor not that killer isn't fun.

I play swf and alone I do see the difference in that most players who play alone definitely have it worse when others are with friends but maybe 1 short the idea is to survive or not no in the middle. When I play I aim to help all the survivors not myself.

I also find alot of camping killers standing infront of you while hooked nodding their heads or trolling the area so no one can get you (like seriously come on) play right thats not fun not in the least tbh

I do think dedicated servers would be great for the game it definitely would make the game play more even just my opinion

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608

sometimes it's not even about "fun"... it's about good sportsmanship. being a decent person to your fellow gamers... something that seems to be a farfetched concept for most.

if I've noticed a specific survivor has been having trouble and I catch them easily, I might just slug them instead of using their 3rd hook...

if a killer hasn't killed anyone by the time the gates are open, I may intentionally "mess up" so they get an extra hook or at least a hit and some chase points.

but toxic players? nah, they get what they give...

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

Is it the devs job to make everyone happy with murder?

• Johnble
    Johnble Member Posts: 175

Only thing that ruins the fun for me are ppl that DC and try hards that expect that everyone knows or cares about the meta. I just play to relax and kill some time. If I lose, I lose. If I win, I win. I'm the kind of killer that will take someone to the exit or hatch if I could see that they tried. If a killer grabs me because I did something just plain stupid, I won't wiggle. Im not ever intentionally toxic.

• Kazrot
    Kazrot Member Posts: 4

Games are supposed to be fun, right?

Getting hooked and having the killer stare at you, smaking anyone that gets close. And if someone does pull you off anyways they tunnel you out and hook you again to start over. That's not fun. I value my time and will go to a different game if I run into killers intentionally shutting players out of actually playing.

But as long as you dont message me about it I wont message you about it.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620
    edited November 2019

One thing is to lose, or being good at the game, wich is great. I am not a good survivor but I am nice as a survivor, I don't bully a killer if I am winning, nor I bully a survivor if I am a killer (unless they deserve it trying to bully someone). That's bad sportsmanship. Of course, I won't let the other side win but that doesn't mean I need to be a bad person.

• alienschmalien
    alienschmalien Member Posts: 151

Games are fun.

Now fun is subjective, but the majority of the problem with DbD is that everyone has subscribed to ''Winning is fun."

''I have to get the hatch/exit gate."

''I have to 4k every game!"

Etc, etc.

Everyone is so subscribed to the sweat and the competitiveness in a game that has ######### in it that really should make it no less casual than Mario Kart or Smash Brothers.

It's why with every patch the game gets more and more of an identity crisis. The devs don't know which side to pick ''DbD is casual." or ''DbD is competitive."

Honestly the game just needs to be considered a loss in the coming months and move on to a fresh start with Dead by Daylight 2 or something. They're never gonna fix this game's core issues that makes the playerbase DC on one another, things that make people feel like losing is unfun, etc, etc.