I Hate Ghostface!

I am familiar with playing against all of the killers and have strategies to counter them...except Ghostface.

I don't know how to play against him. I'm not a beginner either - I'm a purple rank survivor. I could do with a few Kill Your Friends sessions for practice, but that's not possible at the moment. He just gets me into the exposed status too quickly.

Typically, I'll be on a gen at the start of the match then, BOOM, seemingly without warning - I'll be in the exposed status and he just downs me after a brief chase. I think the sound of the gen is likely masking the sound of his rippling robes and the warning sound during the marking process. I'm using a headset as well. Is it just me or does this happen to others?

I played a game yesterday against a Ghostface with ruin and some nasty add-ons:

Ghostface Caught on Tape (Ultra Rare)

• Tremendously increases the Stalking rate when leaning from cover.
  • Tremendously decreases the Stalking rate when not leaning from cover.

Driver's License (Very Rare)

• Considerably decreases the detection range to reveal The Killer while Night Shroud is active.

It was not a fun match! Oh, and did I mention he had an Ebony Momento Mori? So he just moried everyone. This brings me to another point: killer add-ons need to be revised. I think anything that tremenously or considerably affects gameplay should be taken out of the game, as it's unfair. Ghostface already gets people exposed fast enough - does this really need to be tremendously speeded-up?

To be fair, I did get used to looking around for him during that match and listening for his rippling robes. I managed to be the last survivor to get killed. But I also think he partially marks me, then I escape, but when he finds me again, he seems to get me exposed in a split second. Is there any cooldown from marking progress?

I find Spine Chill effective against Ghostface and I used that perk a lot - but not always.

Comments

• pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510

I like Ghostface but then again I LOVE playing against Myers, especially spooky ones, because they are quite startling. I actually played a game as Ash earlier this week and I turn my camera and there’s Mr. Ghostface just staring at me nonchalantly and I dropped my controller and got zoinked. Made a similar noise to Ash when he got downed.

But I do have to say, there have been many times I’m directly looking at Ghostface - and I still get exposed even if I reveal him too. And that is frustrating.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,510
    edited November 2019

My problem is sometimes im looking right at him and it says "Exposed" and im just like "um what i was looking at you isnt that supposed to be the way to break you out". Nope he then chases me and instadowns me because for some reason the game didnt register me looking at him i guess. Otherwise i don't have a problem with him hes pretty cool.

• Impact
    Impact Member Posts: 89

No cooldown? That is rediculous! There should be some reward and counter-play for getting partially marked before escaping.

I feel like I'm starting to get used to him, but I'm still learning and not quite there yet. My biggest struggle seems to be getting marked at the start of the match, while I'm on a gen. The sound of the gen seems to make GF detection too difficult - for me at least.

• Impact

Yes, I recall watching a DBD YouTube video by The King, in which he said something similar. He said there were times when he's looking straight at GF and does not break him out of stealth. Perhaps that's another reason why I'm struggling to play against him?

This needs to be fixed ASAP!

• Imp2
    Imp2 Member Posts: 14

Hey , if GF plays that way he is an easy/ average opponent. GF who plays without stalking but with his mind game attacks ( no heartbeat/ red glow ) is the real problem ( but please please don't nerf him , we need more killers. And it's fun to play against).

If it's a stalky GF you need to look at him BUT , like Huntress don't see a aiming cross in the middle of your screen. It is a tiny bit more in the right upper corner. There u have to center him with your cam.

• BillyAndStu
    BillyAndStu Member Posts: 120

Honestly those are his strongest stalking add ons so yeah ur gonna get exposed quick. Otherwise being mildly vigilant makes it much harder for GF to get too much stalk. Spine chill/object are really good counter to him as well. Its easy to say "just look around 4head" but that is honestly jist the best way to handle stealth killers in general.

• Impact

No, I wound't go that far. I'm willing to admit that I don't know how to play against him, but that doesn't mean he's overpowered. The last thing I want to do is spoil people's fun with this game.

However, I do object to his high-powered add-ons (and with other killers, for that matter). He gets people exposed quickly enough, without having add-ons to tremendously increase stalk rate. In this respect - please nerf!

Ok, I will pay attention to my surroundings. However, it's that first gen where he always gets me. I think I can't hear him and his warnings over the sound of the gen. I do tend to look around when doing a gen - but maybe it's also because at the start of the match I don't know what killer it is and I'm not expecting him?

• Impact

I also like having stealth killers in the game. I like it when I'm doing a gen and look up to see Myers staring at me. But at least with Myers he builds up towards instadown level through stages; it takes some time and you get audible warnings.

But I don't like the way that Ghostface can get someone into exposed status so quickly and with hardly any warning - no heartbeat and so on.

• PoisonN
    PoisonN Member Posts: 624
    edited November 2019

I agree. Ghostface is overperforming, 0 counterplay, not fun to play against bla bla bla

Ma fellow survivors, after the Spirit, this killer is our next target #nerf #tooop

• n2njauwu
    n2njauwu Member Posts: 267

lmao 0 counter play , u can literally disable his power just by looking at him , and if you are that bad survivor who get easily exposed by him just bring spine chill since u dont have skills and need rely on even more counters to already easily counterable killer

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636

Everyone has a killer they dislike, for example I personally hate playing against Trapper, he's such a simple killer but I can't deal with his traps xD

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

If the ghostface is stealthy, there's no way to really counter him, sadly. He can easily 99 survivors he doesn't commit to and go for easier chases, in order to catch you off guard for an instadown with no warning.

(Not saying he needs a nerf, please no, he's too fun to play as, but against he's just not fun)

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Had a game against him where he was chasing me, his terror radius was playing. I was looking at him and I got marked. I was like that's some crap glitch right there. It only happened once.

He didn't have any terror radius modifying perks equipped either. Was so weird.

• SunderMun

I actually think he needs very rare and rare versions of these add-ons that are a bit weaker, as tbh most of his add-ons don't have much use (admittedly still better than most plague add-ons lmao)

• DerFan
    DerFan Member Posts: 42

the only good addons on GF are the power recovery addons. stalking while leaning is extrem fast anyway, you dont need an addon for this. if you think he stalked you alot before you broke him out, make sure that he hits you next time while not in stealth and ur fine. and if u got exposed, just do the normal looping and dont panic. at that moment, hes only an M1 killer with no ability to ######### you up at loops (when his CD is back, ur expose will be gone)

• SaintDenisSlasher
    SaintDenisSlasher Member Posts: 227

I agree, learning to counter is stupid. I mean you're a pro player that learned to counter every other killer and they expect you to learn to counter this one too? How is the average player going to stand a chance? Oh and now i guess you're supposed to run spin chill, HOW. That's not meta, you can't have a meta build and spine chill without SWF.

All in all what they should do is give a loud notification everytime he tries to stalk you and change his "expose" status to "broken for 30 seconds" which would still be incredibly powerful. Also is it just me or do gens take too long?

• Bleediss
    Bleediss Member Posts: 130

Ghostface on dedicated servers is quite broken in the sense you can be staring right at him and he won't get revealed or you can reveal him behind walls.

Aside from that, just have good awareness to counter Ghostface; constantly move your camera around while on a gen and know exactly where to run if he shows up, this is really important because you can easily get downed by not paying attention them panicking without a plan.

If you get into chase with him then loop him like any other M1 killer and drop pallets early to avoid risking getting downed.

Also, if he tries to mindgame you at a loop with his power, treat it like Pig and just leave the loop while he mindgames himself, although be aware it's still a risk because he may expect you to leave the loop then catch you out in the open.

• Impact

Agreed. I hate the way he can get a partial mark on a survivor, so he can instadown you when you least expect it. I believe there should be a cooldown on the marked progress.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

You can completely disable his power, he doesn't need anymore counterplay.

• Impact

I like new killers coming into the game, but it presents a learning curve for both new killer and survivors. It's just one of those things, I suppose.

I like Spine Chill and use it a lot. It's effective against all killers and particularly effective against stealth killiers, such as Ghostface, Wraith, Pig and Shape. But I don't use Spine Chill all the time. There are times when I'm in a game with say, a Wraith, and bring something like Balanced Landing on a map with no verticality and wish I'd brought Spine Chill instead. I just wish I had 5 or 6 perk slots sometimes.

At the start of the PTB, Ghostface made some eerie sounds when stalking (or was it approaching?) a survivor. But killer mains, including red rank YouTubers, made a big fuss about it and BHVR removed it. I can see why the devs were reluctant to create a stealth killer with such a strong ability, without giving survivors much of a warning.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

I played yesterday against a spirit with prayer beads and mother-daughter's ring without using decisive, adrenaline, bl or OoO

Guess what? I still survived thanks to spine chill 😀

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Damn can you actually give advice for once and stop making this “survivors vs killers” or “us vs them” kinda deal.

The OP never once said anything about nerfs, you only put that in because you’re butthurt that Spirit is getting changes.

The OP was only stressing their frustrations about a killer and never once was trying to ask for nerfs.

• SaintDenisSlasher

No man im on your side, we should have at minimum 8 perk slots and ghostface shouldn't be stealth. He SHOULD make a loud noise when he stalks (or even better yet as he approaches you, as i hate jump scares and i don't feel like looking around all the time) and he SHOULD not be able to one hit down you. I mean they took out insta heals so why do killers get to keep expose!

Legitimately tho, i wish there was a way to use ALL perks at once for both survivor and killer just so i can see what would happen. But anyway #NerfLegion

• SilentSpectre
    SilentSpectre Member Posts: 830

That add-on combo is terrible, no wonder you survived.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

What do you mean by terrible? I thought this is the best combo in game?

• SaintDenisSlasher

"I think anything that tremenously or considerably affects gameplay should be taken out of the game, as it's unfair"

Also he very obviously wants Ghostface nerfed. Honestly i would be open to the idea because he does seem super strong if it wasn't for the fact that

A. When they nerf someone they nerf them into the ground

and

B. After spirit it would mean that the MOST viable killer for me and i think a lot of other people would be Billy. Other killers desperately need a buff before anyone else gets a nerf

• MegMain98

Ghostface’s power is super cheesy and cheap. He’s a buggy hot ass mess. At least with Myers I feel like deserve to get downed if I get exposed. Ghostface I do not.

I’m simply voicing why I don’t like playing against Ghostface. Players can say their opinions without people jumping down their throat and insinuating that they are “entitled baby survivor mains” like the person I was responding to has said MANY of times before.

I don’t feel like Ghostface is super strong, just an annoyance to play against. My weakness in this game is stealth killers. They are my least favorite group of killers to face.

• MegMain98

@SaintDenisSlasher Also...Hag and Billy are MUCH stronger than Ghostface. Ghostface is low mid tier. Plague, Huntress, Freddy, and Demogorgon are all just plain better. They can all either shorten or cut down loops in SOME way. Ghostface just has to run loops normally. Doesn’t matter if he can instadown if the survivor can get to a strong enough structure to waste his time.

• thenegativone
    thenegativone Member Posts: 254

I was with you until you started talking crazy about addons...

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

This should help you out, I watched this to better understand how to play him but it also helps understand how he works and what you're doing wrong. When you get to the part where it shows you how to detect him you'll be surprised to see how big the detection area is and what exactly you need to do.

• MegMain98

All the Entity Education videos are really great for helping players better understand the counters to killers and how to play killer.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

That's why my standard survivor build includes "Spine Chill" atm.

• SunderMun
    edited November 2019

It wasn't just killer mains that complained. He was simply too weak, although it was only partially because of the sounds that gave away he was in stealth. In fact, the main issue was how easy it was to break him out - there was no buffer. Now, though, GF can abuse that buffer, removing the intended counterplay unless someone runs around following him and pulling him out whenever he intends to stalk.

• THEghostface
    THEghostface Member Posts: 296

While he does emit noise, that can't be depended on too much, so you really have to look hard for Ghost Face. If you want to stealth him behind an obstacle, but don't want to reveal him, make sure he is not too close to the center of the screen. When trying to reveal him, he needs to be centered with your camera without anything obscuring him, which even includes your own body.

• StrikerDaisy
    StrikerDaisy Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2019

I hate how easy it is to be exposed, but how difficult it can be to reveal.... it's a joke

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

If your playing against a GH that likes to stalk be more aware of your surroundings its fairly easy to knock him out of stealth while doing a common loop found at gens. you said you had experience so looping while looking at the killer should be basically installed into your brain by this point.

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,191

Funny, when i play him, the only survivors i can expose are low ranks. When facing high rank survivors, i'm almost playing like M1 killer

Not to mention some open maps and perks counter him hard

• EX28
    EX28 Member Posts: 1

I'm a red rank survivor on consul and i just got done playing a night of about 4-6 hours of game play. I don't think i got any other killer tonight other then a Ghostface. I am so sick of this. I just want to play any other killer except the 3 main ones u see on consul at red rank. Yesterday it was 10-12 hours of game play (yes I know I have no life thank you) and I had aproximatly 4 spirits 7 Freddy and the rest was ghostface. and many of them camped and tunneled. I was not fun. Its not that i'm incapable of running a killer for 2-5 Gens is just that I don't want to be sweating my balls off running a killer for 5 Gens every night just to die in the end so the the survivors can get out when i'm just trying to hold down m1(or L1 on consul) and actually pip!

Like I never thought I would want to hold M1 but trust me. its been a rough couple of nights. Holding M1 would just make my dreams come tue.

• BearWolf_51
    BearWolf_51 Member Posts: 87

All of you are annoyed by the fact that "I was exposing him and still got marked". Looking at him makes him lose his power but he still able to stalk during that time. You don't instantly cancel his powers by looking at him, you have to expose him, then he loses his powers.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Bruh, just look at him, that add-on got nerfed so you can look at him, but you have to be risky and get behind cover

• toxic_clown
    toxic_clown Member Posts: 318

git gud

if you get stalked to full, play it like a t3 myers. if he cant catch you, he cant down you. its a "you" problem, tbh.

• Artemis_LH
    Artemis_LH Member Posts: 113

I'm ######### sick of ghostface as well. I play against him in almost EVERY match.

Just rename this game 'scream: the game'

Fucking sick of this ######### killer.

Win or lose, the enjoyment is gone.

Fuck ghostface.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Welcome to the club, it seems to be growing every day.

"Typically, I'll be on a gen at the start of the match then, BOOM, seemingly without warning - I'll be in the exposed status and he just downs me after a brief chase. I think the sound of the gen is likely masking the sound of his rippling robes and the warning sound during the marking process. I'm using a headset as well. Is it just me or does this happen to others?"

Yup. It's one of the many reasons people dislike him. He feels really cheap. Out of nowhere a survivor is exposed, normally happens about 15 seconds into the game. Unless the survivor is right next to a pallet then chances are by the time they spin their camera and spot where he's coming from they are caught off guard, unprepared and instadowned.

He originally had a 16m auditory noise. He was designed like this to give survivors a heads up. However the latest patch notes for him state...

"Removed the proximity Sound that the Killer generated while in Night Shroud (only his clothes emit sound while he moves)."

So yeah only his clothes make noise now, which is impossible to hear unless you're in a silent area i.e. no gens nearby.

Which again leads to him feeling like a cheap and nasty killer for survivors. It's also why 99% of Ghostfaces just hang around the hook. Now devs changed Kindred to appeal to campers so even that doesn't work against him.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

How did this post get necro'd it was from about 3 months ago

• USELESS
    USELESS Member Posts: 1,151

Why don't u like him, he is so cute and love takes pictures with us.